What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
House Blend

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by House Blend » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Saw this recently on Netflix:
In order of disappearance. (Original title: Kraftidioten).

An aging snowplow driver seeking revenge for the death of his drug addicted son ends up triggering a war between competing drug gangs.

It feels like the makers of this Norwegian movie were aiming for a sort of Fargo (the movie) or Tarantino black comedy, although the comic elements are more visual than dialogue-driven. (At least it seemed that way to me, watching it with subtitles. But who knows--sometimes a lot gets lost in translation.) Definitely not for the squeamish, but if you liked Fargo or The Hateful Eight, you might like this.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm

I have just stumbled on the TV series, "Fresh off the Boat". Asian family opens a steakhouse in America.
As I share an Asian culture I found the variety of social and business situations hilarious.
A bit corny so probably won't watch all of them, but nonetheless, entertaining.
Culture clash, indeed. :D
Not a financial expert - just a retired businessman hacking out of a sand trap -- again.

hightower

Post by hightower » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Just watched "Art of the Game" a documentary about Japanese block printing and a couple of artists who are using the ancient art form to make video game themed art. It's pretty good

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:58 am

Marie Curie (2017)

The premise of this movie, about the renowned scientist Marie Curie,
could be roughly divided into thirds: one third about her work and
accomplishments in chemistry and physics with husband Pierre and
continued after his death, one third about roadblocks and difficulty
facing women trying to advance in the scientific community during
that era (circa 1900-1920), and one third about an affair with a
married scientist which endangered herself, her family, and her
reputation.
Too much focus on the affair diminishes the impact of the movie
somewhat but there are enough positive elements that make this a
worthwhile film. One interesting part was some lively scientific
rapport between Marie Curie and a young Albert Einstein.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Battle of the Sexes. A very entertaining retelling of the Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs tennis match. This certainly belongs on the short Best Movies of 2017 list.

Highly recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... -a-winner/

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:25 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 am
Death in Paradise, available on Netflix.

This is a BBC television series of 40 one-hour episodes, murder mysteries set in the British Virgin Islands and solved by a group of four police officers. We are about halfway through the series. This series is addictive, very good.
We really enjoyed the first season or so but they soon killed off the main character and wrote out a major secondary actor. It's OK but struggles in the later seasons.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:28 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:07 pm
We recently started "The West Wing" on Netflix. The pilot episode was very good.
What a great show. Great characters with crisp, rapid fire dialog. You are in for season seasons of great viewing.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:45 am

Woodshark wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:25 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 am
Death in Paradise, available on Netflix.

This is a BBC television series of 40 one-hour episodes, murder mysteries set in the British Virgin Islands and solved by a group of four police officers. We are about halfway through the series. This series is addictive, very good.
We really enjoyed the first season or so but they soon killed off the main character and wrote out a major secondary actor. It's OK but struggles in the later seasons.
It took a few episodes before we could adjust to the new characters, but we still liked the later seasons.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 am

"The Accountant," pretty decent action flick starring Ben Affleck about a CPA/assassin with Asperger's Syndrome. Was pretty predictable and the plot was a tad silly, but that's an action flick. Interestingly, I have Asperger's and my wife has had several of her friends and co-workers who have told her that Affleck's character is what they assume I am like in real life...aside from the whole assassin thing (although I did in fact strongly consider going into military special forces), yeah, it was like watching myself on a screen.

Polymath

Post by Polymath » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Blade Runner 2049. Highly recommended if you are a scifi or film fan. Impressive accomplishment feeling like a genuine sequel of the original.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:56 pm

House Blend wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:20 pm
Saw this recently on Netflix:
In order of disappearance. (Original title: Kraftidioten).

An aging snowplow driver seeking revenge for the death of his drug addicted son ends up triggering a war between competing drug gangs.

It feels like the makers of this Norwegian movie were aiming for a sort of Fargo (the movie) or Tarantino black comedy, although the comic elements are more visual than dialogue-driven. (At least it seemed that way to me, watching it with subtitles. But who knows--sometimes a lot gets lost in translation.) Definitely not for the squeamish, but if you liked Fargo or The Hateful Eight, you might like this.
Thank you! I just watched this movie. I would have never known about it until I saw your post. I've seen Fargo and every Tarantino movie and liked this one a lot.

I agree, it's very much in the spirit of the Hateful Eight. I'd say it's a black comedy, gangster style. The comedy is indeed in the visual elements - pay attention to the background activity.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm
I have just stumbled on the TV series, "Fresh off the Boat". Asian family opens a steakhouse in America.
As I share an Asian culture I found the variety of social and business situations hilarious.
You should watch Master of None on Netflix.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:02 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:37 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 pm
You should watch Master of None on Netflix.
Will Do
Not a financial expert - just a retired businessman hacking out of a sand trap -- again.

denismurf

Post by denismurf » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Blade Runner 2049.

Waaay too long, regardless of everything else. I loved the original, but found this one boring and unfocused. They never figured out who the bad guys were. Was it the Harrison Ford character? The moods and sound effects were as good as in the first round, but not good enough to make up for the lack of a coherent story. Too bad.

The makers will probably screw up Arrival when they make a sequel to that too.The only advantage of seeing this movie in a theater was that you got to watch plenty of previews of movies to skip.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:29 pm

Blade Runner. Really enjoyed the sequel as I'm a fan of the original. I definitely did not think it was too long. It ended and I could have happy had it keep going another half hour. I definitely recommend watching the three short films from different directors which depict the gap between the two blade runner films. They are on YouTube and other places and I felt it added a lot to my experience.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Colossal.

I went into it afraid it was going to be a colossal waste of time but it was actually kinda good in a dumb quirky way. Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudakis played their roles perfectly. I kept expecting for the monster or the robot to be a metaphor but if they were I missed it.