Protein Bars and Smoothies

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jprivott

Re: Protein Bars and Smoothies

Post by jprivott » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:58 pm

Here is another source for quality protein that I found a couple years back (pick your macronutrient source - whey, rice, pea etc)
http://truenutrition.com/

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Nirav wrote:I buy my protein powder from Costco.

I use the low-carb Chocolate Cytosport brand.

2.5 scoops (50+ gms of protein)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 avocado
6 oz of frozen baby spinach
handful of frozen blueberry/raspberry/strawberry medley

Result is a delicious high-protein, high-fat, high-fiber, low carb breakfast.

I like all those ingredients and they're certainly healthy. So what do you do? Mix it in the blender?
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:37 pm

DDMP20 wrote:
Nirav wrote:I buy my protein powder from Costco.

I use the low-carb Chocolate Cytosport brand.

2.5 scoops (50+ gms of protein)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 avocado
6 oz of frozen baby spinach
handful of frozen blueberry/raspberry/strawberry medley

Result is a delicious high-protein, high-fat, high-fiber, low carb breakfast.

I like all those ingredients and they're certainly healthy. So what do you do? Mix it in the blender?

Yes, I should've included that.

Add 6-10 oz of water and mix for a minute a Vitamix blender. The blender is very expensive (i think it was $350 at costco), but you'll definitely need it to really liquify the spinach.

I figured if Vitamix lasts 5 years, the daily cost of using a blender 5 days a week is about 23 cents a day. It comes with a 7 year warranty so if it doesn't last 5 years, you can probably exchange it for a new one!

My Vitamix is about 5 years ago (and so is this receipe), and it still looks new. I'd be surprized if it didn't last another 10 years.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:42 pm

A lot of Kind bars have 5 grams of sugar or less with lots of nuts and fiber. They are quite tasty and there is a large variety. They are ~200 calories each.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:43 pm

There seems to be this obsession with protein these days.

Breast milk contain less than 5% protein (as a percent of total calories). When you're a baby you probably need more protein, than in any other stage of life.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:45 pm

stoptothink wrote:
I don't want to get this thread shut down, but this is my field (PhD in Obesity Studies and I work for a health MegaCorp who happens to produce "protein bars") and I 100% agree with everything you said. I don't understand the fascination with protein bars. 95% of them are literally nothing more than a candybar with some added protein. The others are an amalgamation of whole nutrient-dense foods which would probably be better tasting and certainly cheaper if consumed separately. The process of making them into a specific bar texture requires a lot of things which I would prefer not to put in my body. My wife will occasionally eat my company's bars or a Quest bar, but it is primarily for taste and convenience (and we get them for free). Somehow marketing has many convinced that these very expensive candybars are healthier than whole unprocessed food, but from both a nutrition and cost perspective nuts/seeds, boiled eggs, a can of tuna, a cup of Greek yogurt, etc. would all be better alternatives.

I think there's a mix between people wanting diet bars and post workout bars. I don't count calories but I would like to increase my protein intake.

One question I would have for the industry is why not make an protein bar with whey (or some other protein) and mix in oats, nuts and berries for a sweetener. Is there anything out there like that? With the massive selection, I'm surprised if there isn't.

It's like 0 calorie energy drinks :oops: :oops:

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:58 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:One question I would have for the industry is why not make an protein bar with whey (or some other protein) and mix in oats, nuts and berries for a sweetener. Is there anything out there like that? With the massive selection, I'm surprised if there isn't.

You have described my breakfast oatmeal: Oats, nuts, berries, protein powder, plus diet DrPepper for sweetening.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:00 pm

Dutch wrote:There seems to be this obsession with protein these days.

Breast milk contain less than 5% protein (as a percent of total calories). When you're a baby you probably need more protein, than in any other stage of life.

I'm not sure about that. Infants sleep most of the day and don't use their muscles nearly as much as an active adult. And infants don't have the body composition that I inspire to :)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:34 am

ThankYouJack wrote:

I'm not sure about that. Infants sleep most of the day and don't use their muscles nearly as much as an active adult. And infants don't have the body composition that I inspire to :)

True. As an infant you need FAT more than at any other stage in life. As an infant, the important thing is brain development and simply getting enough calories to foster growth, not body composition.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:19 pm

stoptothink wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:

True. As an infant you need FAT more than at any other stage in life. As an infant, the important thing is brain development and simply getting enough calories to foster growth, not body composition.

My point was about the high growth rate in infants, for which protein is essential. I wasn't talking about body building babies :happy

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Dutch wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:

My point was about the high growth rate in infants, for which protein is essential. I wasn't talking about body building babies :happy

I can't get too medical, but babies need a certain amount of protein per pound. If I do the ratio for my self, it comes to 122 grams. Weight lifting not included ;)

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:31 pm

The Mint Chocolate Chip Clif Builder bars are phenomenal and contain 20 grams of protein.

Yes, there's sugar in there. Hence the deliciousness.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 pm

my smoothie recipe
- 2 scoops of goldstandard naturally flavored protien powder
- half a cup of orange juice
- 3/4 to 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1/2 inch tumeric root (we get it from Wegmans)
- 8-10 chuncks of pinneapple
- 8-10 strawberries, or mango pieces
- kale or spinatch
- 10-12 drops of lemon juice
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup of Chia seeds (I love the slimy crunchy texture)

I love this smoothie. Tumeric has anti inflammatory property and supposedly antibiotic type thing.

peseta

Post by peseta » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Costco's Kirkland Signature protein bars are very similar to Quest bars in both nutrition and taste, for less than $1.00 a bar. They might even be made by Quest, based on the taste. They come in chocolate brownie and cookie dough only.

peseta

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:24 pm
I'm looking to add more protein to my diet, in the form of a snack -- either through a bar or smoothie. I'd like something natural and not loaded with sweeteners. I'd like something that's ~20g of protein and it's ok if it has more carbs than that and if it has some grams of fat.

Any recommendations?
Muscle Egg. Its 99% pure pasteurized egg whites. Comes in a variety of flavors. No cooking necessary; just drink. Flavor and consistency is amazing. The chocolate flavor tastes and has texture of chocolate milk
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 pm

I use Orgain because it's a plant source of protein. Costco sells it and the taste is not bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Orgain-Organic-P ... owder&th=1

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 am

Dulocracy wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:58 am
My personal trainer recommends Builder's Bars. Lower in sugar than many other bars; high in protein. Less chemical-y than many of the bars out there. Not sugar or chemical free, just better than most. Taste great, and they have a wide variety of flavors.
+1

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:38 am

peseta wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 pm
Costco's Kirkland Signature protein bars are very similar to Quest bars in both nutrition and taste, for less than $1.00 a bar. They might even be made by Quest, based on the taste. They come in chocolate brownie and cookie dough only.

peseta
I threw away the box. I couldn't stand them. Tasted like a mixture of chalk and sawdust.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 am

Theseus wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 pm
my smoothie recipe
- kale or spinatch

I love this smoothie. Tumeric has anti inflammatory property and supposedly antibiotic type thing.
Sounds delicious. But between the orange juice and fruit, it might have a lot of sugar in it?

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 pm

My smoothies are delicious.

I use whatever fruits I have in whatever proportions I feel like.
Often fresh berries, banana, pineapple, melon, peaches, whatever.
Or if I don't have fresh fruits, I use a combination of frozen and dried fruits from Trader Joes: mango pieces, acai, pineapple pieces, frozen berries, dried figs. Or a combo of fresh and frozen. I like variety.
I add fresh spinach.
I add either nuts (your choice of nut) or almond butter.
I add mint that I froze in ice cubes from my garden....throw in a cube or two.
I add maple syrup.
I add some combination of cinnamon and nutmeg or sometimes just pumpkin pie spice.
I usually don't add juice or water.....just the above.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 am
Dulocracy wrote:
My personal trainer recommends Builder's Bars. Lower in sugar than many other bars; high in protein. Less chemical-y than many of the bars out there. Not sugar or chemical free, just better than most. Taste great, and they have a wide variety of flavors.
+1
Builder Bar's protein source is soy isn't it? :?
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am

I recently switched to a non flavored, non sweetened whey powder. If I want more sweetness than fruit I'll add some honey.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am

BW1985 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:45 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Dulocracy wrote:
+1
Don't know, but it tastes better than the sawdust flavor of Costco bars!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:55 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 am
Theseus wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 pm
my smoothie recipe
- kale or spinatch

Sounds delicious. But between the orange juice and fruit, it might have a lot of sugar in it?
Looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 30g of sugar. I bet you could replace the OJ with water (at least the fruit has fiber) and not even tell the difference in taste.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:21 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am
BW1985 wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
Dulocracy wrote:
+1
Never had those. My go-to bar while on work trips is Quest double chocolate chunk or Rx bar (which Kellogg just bought for $600 million).

Castanea_d.

Post by Castanea_d. » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:35 am

I keep some of the "Elevation" bars from Aldi's around (they are a knock-off of Clif bars). Eleven grams of protein, five grams of fiber, and too much sugar. But they are convenient and fairly cheap; I eat one every week as a quick snack between Sunday church services - I have a five minute window between the second service and choir practice for the third.

One of my main sources of protein is an idea from the old "Diet for a Small Planet" - in her charts, one finds that a mix of 60% sunflower seeds and 40% peanuts produces a complete balanced protein. If you use unsalted seeds/nuts, it is pretty healthy. I mix this up as needed and keep a jar on my shelf at work and another at home. Healthy, and cheap for a protein source; I have to watch the calories with it. A handful of this plus some dried fruit is a better option than the Elevation or Clif bars, but is not quite in the grab-and-go category (or for my Sundays, "carry in the pocket of my cassock").

peseta

Post by peseta » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:21 am
unclescrooge wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
Dulocracy wrote:
+1
Never had those. My go-to bar while on work trips is Quest double chocolate chunk or Rx bar (which Kellogg just bought for $600 million).
To each his own on the Costco bars. I think they're pretty good. The texture is helped by zapping in the microwave for 10 secs. If you like Quest, you'll like the Costco ones -- basically the same thing, but much cheaper.

peseta

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:59 pm

peseta wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm
BW1985 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:21 am
unclescrooge wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

+1
To each his own on the Costco bars. I think they're pretty good. The texture is helped by zapping in the microwave for 10 secs. If you like Quest, you'll like the Costco ones -- basically the same thing, but much cheaper.

peseta
I will have to give these a try depending on the sweetener. I prefer stevia to sucralose. Quest uses both depending on the flavor.

peseta

Post by peseta » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:16 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:59 pm
I will have to give these a try depending on the sweetener. I prefer stevia to sucralose. Quest uses both depending on the flavor.
They're stevia-sweetened.

peseta

aquamarine

Post by aquamarine » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi, I make my own snack bars with steel cut oats, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. It's not too hard but you have to soak the oats the night before before baking.

Here's the recipe:
Soak 2 cups steel cup oats in 2 cups of water
stick in frig overnight
next day the oats will have absorbed the water
then place in baking dish
mix in any assortment of your favorite nuts and seeds
bake on 400 for 50 min or to your preference of "hardness/firmness"
wait for it to cool
cut into bars

they freeze really well with no change in taste so they can keep a long time
and they can go right in the frig to defrost the night before

they can be eaten either cold or warmed in the microwave

they are pretty filling and you can add eggs or other nuts or protein powder if you want
extra protein

but I say they are good for snacking because they are so filling and can tie you over until dinner or they can
be eaten for breakfast warmed. good luck.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Mike's Mix! It's relatively cheap and super simple, the chocolate flavor made into iced coffee is my normal post long run recovery drink.

davebo

Post by davebo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:02 pm

For protein bars, I buy the Kirkland brand at costco. 21 grams of protein, 20 carbs, 7 grams of fat, 1 gram of real sugar, and 4 grams of fake sugar.

For protein shakes, I use almond milk, 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, 1/2 banana, and 1 Oreo cookie. The Oreo cookie might not be healthy, but it goes from ok (without) to great (with)

Post by 2015 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Before you decide on anything, you might want to read The Dorito Effect: The Surprising New Truth About Food and Flavor

https://www.amazon.com/Dorito-Effect-Su ... 1476724237

Regarding "natural" "protein" "fitness" bars, the food industry has you targeted. They figured out a long time ago the public has migrated into "eating healthy" so agribusiness manufactures all sorts of garbage with all kinds of "healthy" looking packaging. Skip all the processed "snacks" and go for the real thing, such as almonds, as was suggested above.