Pro and cons of the Prime offer by Amazon.......

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
parigi723

Pro and cons of the Prime offer by Amazon.......

Post by parigi723 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 am

Hello:
Thanks for your kind replies.......Yout experience good or otherwise with Amazon prime,please.
I was concidering to sign up but I thought to better inquire first.........araucano

oldcomputerguy

Re: Pro and cons of the Prime offer by Amazon.......

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:43 am

We had Amazon Prime once, just to give it a try. Never thought much of it, bailed on it after a year.

I don't order that much from Amazon that needs to be shipped (Kindle books mostly) so free shipping is not a persuading factor. We thought also that we might find some better content on Prime to watch on our Roku, but sadly we were disappointed there as well.

In fact my recent experiences overall with Amazon as a merchant leave a lot to be desired. I won't turn this into a gripefest, so I'll just leave it at expressing dissatisfaction with Prime.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 am

Type "amazon prime" in the search box and hit enter.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:47 am

I've had it for the last several years and found it to be worth the money. Not an awesome deal, but enough to justify the $99 per year fee.

I watch the free movies on a regular basis, which are rotated every month or so.

Also, I hate shopping and buy as much online as possible, so the 2 day shipping with no minimum dollar amount (with a few exceptions) is nice.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:52 am

We are huge fans of prime. The 2 day shipping has allowed me to rarely step foot in a store. When I don't need it in 2 days, there is usually a bonus offer for choosing slower shipping (such as $1 credit for Amazon pantry or digital purchases). Plus Amazon prime videos are included.

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:07 am

For me, Amazon Prime is a great deal. I prefer to order online rather than visiting a store. This alone saves me a lot of time. I also use the music and video regularly.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:20 am

We had prime last year in order to watch Grand Tour. I paid monthly and cancelled once I watched the last episode of the season. We ordered our normal stuff on Amazon and the only difference was that instead of making sure we had enough for free shipping in the basket, we'd go ahead and hit "order" for the 1 USB cable I needed or the replacement $3 ear buds for my son. I change my own oil in my cars, so my wife knows she can simply add a jug of oil is she's short the $35 or whatever it is to get free shipping. I think without prime, it's 5 day or longer shipping. I don't care. If I need something sooner, I'll drive to a local store and buy it.

We'll likely order it at the end of this season's Grand Tour for one month, I'll binge watch then cancel.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:21 am

For us, these are the pros, all of which we use extensively:
Prime Video - not the biggest catalog, but enough stuff that interests us, especially some of the Amazon-produced series (like Bosch).
Prime Music - great library of tunes to get us out of a musical rut. Especially handy when I can walk into a room and tell Echo what to play.
Kindle First - monthly small selection of new authors (I find something good and free about every 3 months)
Kindle Owners Lending Library - I find something good, and free, about every other month
free unlimited photo storage on Amazon Drive
2 day shipping and no minimums - we use at least weekly, sometimes more
Amazon Prime Visa - 5% rewards at Amazon, decent rewards elsewhere.

Cons
It's so easy to get used to the ever-expanding Amazon ecosystem that you might forget to comparison shop (presumably their goal)

I hope Amazon's not watching, but I'd pay $200 per year if I had to and still feel like its well worth it.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:23 am

OP,

I think it really depends on the individual. For instance:

How much do you buy on Amazon?
Are you interested in getting the Amazon Store Card or Amazon Visa Card?
Are you going to use the other services offered by Amazon?
Do you prefer to save on shipping by using the slower delivery option or would you rather pay the membership fee to get free 2-day shipping?
Does your family/friends have wish lists on Amazon? (If so, this can really simplify the shopping experience when you're buying gifts.)

I've followed a cycle of being a prime member for a few years and then I let the membership lapse for a few years. The last time I signed up for prime was because the minimum purchase amount to get free shipping was $49, there was a $20 discount on prime membership and I figured with the 5% rewards along with the $50 or $75 (I can't remember which off the top of my head) store card signup bonus it would all be a net gain for me. Now that the minimum threshold to get free shipping has been reduced from $49 to $25, I might just let my prime membership expire. I won't be getting another signup bonus (unless I apply for the Amazon Visa card) and I'm not hopeful there will be another discount for the prime membership fee around the time my membership is set to expire. I'll check to see how much I spent over the last year to see if the 5% rewards pays off the $99 membership fee, but I'm doubtful I spend $2k+ at Amazon every year.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 am

I now look at jet.com first. The prices are competitive and unlike Amazon free shipping, which takes 3-4 weeks consistently, jet stuff is on my doorstep 2-3 days later.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 am

We subscribe. We make use of the included music and video streaming. We haven't subscribed to traditional television services in years but do occasionally watch something on the streaming platforms. Thus, this and Netflix are our only regular entertainment expenses.

We also buy items routinely through amazon, and use the prime shipping frequently. Works well for us and the time / cost trades we are willing to make.

TheGuitarMan

Post by TheGuitarMan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:27 am

Prime is essential in my household. We make up the cost in delivery savings in the first three months alone. The movies and music on top of it is just icing.

CalebHenley

Post by CalebHenley » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:34 am

I absolutely LOVE prime. Any staple item I use I typically can get through prime. I do a majority of my Christmas shopping through Prime.

Also, if you happen to live in an area with Prime Now, that is one of my favorite aspects of my membership. Many items delivered to my door in 1-2 HOURS. Incredibly convenient.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Prime has been absolutely essential for us ever since we had a baby. 20% off diapers already makes it a great deal plus all the weekly shipments of whatever baby product we need at the time we need it (e.g. bottles, nipples, food bowls, crib sheets, car seats, umbrella strollers).

Not that it should convince you one way or another but 64% of US households have Amazon Prime.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/shephyken/ ... ee1cec4586

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:43 pm

My stance has several elements:

1) If I can't wait 7 days for the regular free shipping, in most cases I can't wait 2 days, so I buy it locally.

2) If it doesn't qualify for free shipping, the price is low enough that the savings of buying online (if any - Amazon is not always cheaper than buying in-store locally) don't add up to enough to justify the Prime subscription cost.

3) Cases where I can wait 2 days, but can't wait 7 days, and the price difference of buying online versus in-store is non-trivial are rare enough it's cheaper to pay for 2-day shipping than to pay the Prime subscription cost.

Point 3 is also reinforced by the fact that Amazon frequently fails to deliver in 2-days. If you actually need something in 2-days like supplies for a trip or party, you should not rely on 2-day shipping.

Naturally, when I presented these arguments to my wife, she responded with, "I don't care. You don't have to wrangle toddlers while doing most of the shopping for the family."

So we have Prime. :annoyed

The considerations above may be different if you don't have convenient access to a wide variety of local stores. For me, most of the places I need to shop are no more than a couple mile detour off my commute. On the other extreme, I recently read about a family in a remote part of Alaska that thrives on the variety of goods available through Amazon, and they haven't payed the Prime subscription in years, because Amazon *never* successfully delivers on time, so they're constantly being offered extended membership in compensation.

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 pm

We probably receive 75 - 100 packages per year from Amazon. We also use the Pantry service. Almost all of my electronics, tools and general household items come from Amazon. Prime is a great deal for us. And the music/video streaming is a big bonus. So much so that I dropped Netflix and Sirius internet. So that alone pays the cost. I probably go to a physical retail store (excluding grocery stores) less than 5 times per year now.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Mostly a convenience for us. It is much easier to buy odds and ends online vs brick and mortar. Getting them 2 day delivery is a nice perk. Get an amazon prime card at 5% off and for us it pays for itself.

AlarmFuerCobra11

Post by AlarmFuerCobra11 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Amazon annoyed me.

They had a product for sale, fulfilled by Amazon, LLC, at a great low price. Jumped on the deal. Got a message later that said they were having trouble with the delivery date. Then it was out of stock. Then when we tried to fix it, they canceled the order and MAGICALLY the items were available again on Amazon at twice the price. We asked to have the items for the price we tried to order them at. They refused and said it was not possible, that they can't price match themselves.

I'm cancelling Prime when the subscription runs out at the end of the year. Honestly, Target delivers many things faster than Amazon does and I don't have to pay a fee. I find often Amazon doesn't have the best price or there are fake items. I don't use the video/music section, never really found anything I wanted to watch on there and prefer Netflix.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:18 pm

mouses wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 am
I now look at jet.com first. The prices are competitive and unlike Amazon free shipping, which takes 3-4 weeks consistently, jet stuff is on my doorstep 2-3 days later.
But this thread is about Amazon Prime, which includes 2-day shipping. In my area (as well as other metropolitan areas), many orders are eligible for free same-day or one-day shipping with Prime.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:10 pm

All I can say is with 2 parents working full time with 2 kids (one preschool and one KG) it has been a lifesaver. We just figure out during the day what we need for the kids or the house and then order it in 2 minutes that evening. Simple as can be. Have not been to a regular department store for an actual need purchase for a LONG time.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:14 pm

It's good if you don't like going to the store. The convenience is worth it especially around the holidays. I can't stand going to a Walmart. Although Walmart.com is competitive. I also think Costco has fewer but better deals.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:18 pm

parigi723 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 am
Hello:
Thanks for your kind replies.......Yout experience good or otherwise with Amazon prime,please.
I was concidering to sign up but I thought to better inquire first.........araucano
if you don't buy online a lot and need the shipping, the $$ won't be worth it. The Prime movies/video....aren't a reason to subscribe (Netflix or 'other' is a better choice IMO)

Also worth noting, shipping isn't always "2 days". In the last year I had prime, it was more typically 4 days, as UPS would farm off work to USPS and that would double the delivery time. In fact, 2 days became a rarity. Hearing that more and more from others.

It comes down to the frequency you buy online- if a lot, its prob worth it, if not, skip it.

They do have a day each year where the price is reduced to subscribe, maybe wait for that and give a try.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:25 pm

About the only retail store that I can tolerate is Costco so we use of our Prime membership a lot. We do not live near a big city so our retail options (even if we actually wanted to shop brick and mortar), are more limited than they might be for urban hive dwellers, making Amazon Prime very useful and convenient.

Wtlutz

Post by Wtlutz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 pm

I’m finding Walmart.com prices beating Amazon. Shipping is just as fast and free. No membership. Returns easier if you take back to Walmart. I think this is starting to be reflected in the current acceleration in WMT stock price.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm

mouses wrote:
I never had anything I bought on Amazon take three weeks to arrive, even from China.

This thread is about Prime membership and the free shipping for Prime is two days and items generally arrive within the two days, but I frequently have items delivered the next day. If an item is even a day late, which is rare, Amazon will comp a month of Prime membership and sometimes give credit for the item.

As far as whether Prime is worth it, it primarily depends on how much you buy from Amazon and how much you value the faster free (prepaid, really) delivery. There are lots of other benefits, from free video, music, and books to special deals and offers. Many products are now Prime-only. Amazon is in some ways imitating Costco.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =200444160

If you are not sure if you want it or not, wait and do the 30 day free trial during the holiday season to save on shipping gifts and also to have first crack at the Black Friday and daily deals, many of which sell out fast. Then cancel if you don't like it.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:41 pm

"These 15 little-known perks show why Amazon Prime is so much more than free shipping"
http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-p ... shipping-1

Anyone tried "Wickedly Prime", Amazon's snack food brand?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... edly+prime
http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-w ... cts-2017-6

Fudgie

Post by Fudgie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 pm

I just chose not to renew my Prime subscription after two years. I found that there were very few movie options that interested me, and I already subscribe to Google Play/YouTube Red for music. The free 2-day shipping was nice, but I didn't crack the numbers to determine if it was a net savings for me. Anyway, it didn't feel as though I was getting sufficient value to justify another $100 for a year. I'd probably resubscribe for ~$65. It's interesting enough that I would have stuck with it if it had auto-renewed without me noticing. YMMV.
"That's entertainment!" - Vlad the Impaler

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Jeff Albertson wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Anyone tried "Wickedly Prime", Amazon's snack food brand?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... edly+prime
Yes and the Happy Belly brand from Amazon, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Belly/pages/14394503011

Amazon does have them at good prices when they are on sale. They had different types of nuts and snack mixes discounted late last year and I bought several different kinds. The spicy trail mix is good but I'm sure it's available somewhere else. I slightly prefer the nuts I get at Trader Joe's (dry roasted or raw as opposed to roasted with oil) but they were so much less expensive on sale that I have been happy with them except that the deluxe mixed nuts have very few Brazil and hazelnuts and are mostly cashews and almonds with scattered pecans.

The plantain chips and pea crisp snacks are fine but are not items I will regularly buy. The chipotle black bean soup was okay but won't be something that I buy again.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:21 pm

mouses wrote:
I might need to give this a try, along with Walmart.com. I use Prime frequently instead of local shopping, for convenience, but I have been trying to trim back these types of subscription costs from my life.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:37 pm

I rarely see Amazon being price competitive any more. Walmart, Home Depot, Dicks, etc online prices are as good and I can return locally

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:37 pm
I rarely see Amazon being price competitive any more. Walmart, Home Depot, Dicks, etc online prices are as good and I can return locally
With Amazon you can return even "More" locally. You can just select the UPS pick-up option, print out a label, and leave the item up for UPS to grab when they come. No need to leave the house and drive somewhere to do a return.
I also don't believe their prices are as competitive as they used to be but they still seem inline with everyone else - and then you can order the Prime-Credit-Card to get an additional 5% off everything you buy.
What I like:
1) 2-day free delivery
2) additional 5% discount with CC
3) Amazon music streaming
4) Amazon video streaming (Particularly the large selection of documentaries as well as the prior-released PBS Series).
What I dislike:
1) occasional misses with 2-day delivery (but an email or phone call can get you an free month when this happens).
2) The price could be lower
3) The magazines mentioned in the above link to Business-Insider's article are primarily a gimmick - they don't have the same mags every month - they seem to let you look at one issue hoping you will buy a subscription.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:21 pm
mouses wrote:
I might need to give this a try, along with Walmart.com. I use Prime frequently instead of local shopping, for convenience, but I have been trying to trim back these types of subscription costs from my life.
FYI, Jet was bought by Walmart last year. I expect you'll see it gradually transition into a tiered relationship like Amazon vs. Amazon Prime. My impression is Walmart bought Jet specifically as a way to fend off the competition of Amazon.

Interesting trivia - Jet was made possible by their main competitor. It's founder sold his previous online retail business to Amazon (who ultimately shut it down...looks rather like a buyout and elimination plan), and then used the proceeds to help fund his development of Jet.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:31 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
mouses wrote:
FYI, Jet was bought by Walmart last year. I expect you'll see it gradually transition into a tiered relationship like Amazon vs. Amazon Prime. My impression is Walmart bought Jet specifically as a way to fend off the competition of Amazon.

Interesting trivia - Jet was made possible by their main competitor. It's founder sold his previous online retail business to Amazon (who ultimately shut it down...looks rather like a buyout and elimination plan), and then used the proceeds to help fund his development of Jet.
Interesting. I guess I should just go straight to Walmart then!

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:31 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
mouses wrote:

Interesting. I guess I should just go straight to Walmart then!
It's probably worth comparing. I've read they do handle pricing differently on Jet, in particular to incentivize ordering multiple items at once, and since the merger was very recent, I can't imagine they're very closely integrated yet anyways.

iBogle

Post by iBogle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm

If you take a lot of pictures on your phone, you get Amazon Photo's with a Prime membership that gives you unlimited storage space and can save photo's at full size.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Tried Prime with a free offer many years ago when all it offered was 2-day delivery. I thought it was worth it then and maintained the subscription ever since. We order a lot from Amazon.

All the extras have been nice. The music with our Echo device is fun. We mostly use Netflix for streaming, but occasionally there's something only Amazon will have on our Roku box, so that's a nice add-on too. The Prime Photos unlimited storage sounded great and we actually started to use it, but ended up preferring to pay $2/mo for the better usability of OneDrive for photos. YMMV, but again we're mostly in it for the 2-day delivery.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 pm

I think Prime is a great deal. Between the music and the video streaming it's totally worth it. I used to do the monthly books on kindle all the time but I've gotten away from that lately. The two day shipping is really convenient too... but I will admit that the convenience makes me buy more - maybe that's why they do it.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:36 am

MrNewEngland wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 pm
The two day shipping is really convenient too... but I will admit that the convenience makes me buy more - maybe that's why they do it.
I had the opposite experience back when the minimum spending for free shipping was $49. It seemed like I would end up buying more so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. Becoming a prime member resolved this issue. Now that the minimum spending for free shipping is back to $25, maybe I'll just let my prime membership expire when the time comes.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:49 am

It probably only takes me a few weeks to save enough with Prime to payback the annual fee. I get probably four or five packages a week delivered, plus use their video, music and photo services. This year on Amazon Prime day, I bought two pairs of my favorite shoes plus a few other things which saved me enough to pay for next year's prime membership fee. For me it is a no brainer.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 am

Getting 5% off all orders is pretty nice too.