Countertop refinishing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
snowman9000

Countertop refinishing

Post by snowman9000 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:22 am

I heard this company mentioned on a handyman radio show.

https://www.miraclemethod.com/counterto ... ishing.htm

I wondered if anyone has recent experience with having a countertop or tile refinished? Is it worth a darn?

peratio

Re: Countertop refinishing

Post by peratio » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:38 pm

What type of countertop? Corian or solid surface, laminate, granite, engineered stone?

snowman9000

Post by snowman9000 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:42 am

Solid surface.

peratio

Post by peratio » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Ok, I have a lot of experience with this. I only looked briefly at the web link but I would not apply any acrylic finish to the surface of the counter top. Solid surface acrylic counter top products are very easy to work with, as they are soft and are easily cut with basic woodworking tools. Think routers and sanders. If your problem is scratches in the surface, they are easily buffed out by sanding with an orbital sander. You should be find info by googling on line and may find people who routinely do this type of work. Countertop fabricators are a good source to consider. If you have split seams, burns, or cracks, they can cut out the bad section and replace it quite easly with a patch that is invisible to the eye. This assumes you know what product is installed so that they can match it properly. If you don't know which product, the fabricator may be able to identify it. If you look at the underside of the counter, you may be able to find a stamp to identify the mfg/style.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:48 am

Don't have any experience with that linked product but I have read somewhere that 20% of all work done by professional countertop companies are fixing bad DIY resurfacing attempts. Something to consider.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:57 am

What is the cost of it compared to laminate counter tops? I certainly wouldn't consider it comparable to any kind of natural or engineered stone.

snowman9000

Post by snowman9000 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks Peratio.

We have some split seams and cracking. And the integral sink bowls are scratched up. The product is a fairly thin solid, say 1/4" or so, bonded to a wood substrate. It's probably a cheap alternative to Corian etc. We have tried to find someone to repair it but have completely struck out.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:25 pm

snowman9000 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:45 pm
Thanks Peratio.

We have some split seams and cracking. And the integral sink bowls are scratched up. The product is a fairly thin solid, say 1/4" or so, bonded to a wood substrate. It's probably a cheap alternative to Corian etc. We have tried to find someone to repair it but have completely struck out.
Sounds like it would be best to replace it. I always hesitate to replace rather than repair something that can be repaired, and countertops can be painted as a short- to intermediate-term fix, but since the sink is formed in one piece with the countertop and you have splits and cracks in addition to scratches, seems like any kind of fix is likely to be a waste of time and money.