Protein Bars - Recipe?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishmonger

Protein Bars - Recipe?

Post by fishmonger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:35 am

Wondering if anyone makes their own protein bars here? I'm a borderline addict, usually have at least one per day. I have protein powder I use first thing in the morning or on weekends, but a bar is generally easier for me as I travel for work and are in the car quite a bit.

I spend about $2/bar, but wondering if anyone has a recipe they have tried and seems to work? There are tons online, but just throwing it out there to the board

PoppyA

Re: Protein Bars - Recipe?

Post by PoppyA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 am

A search of this site brought me here:

viewtopic.php?t=176883

On a side note, my favorite bars to purchase are Thunderbird. They come out of Austin, TX and are whole food plant based (WFPB)
"La Bella Luna"

bklyn96

Post by bklyn96 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:51 am

. . . . .
Last edited by bklyn96 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 am

It is quite difficult to get a palatable bar texture without adding some ingredients that you probably don't want (ie. emulsifiers and sugar alcohols). I've tried in the past, but haven't been too successful. Been much more successful making dense muffin-like foodstuffs with an ingredient and macro content which I am more comfortable with putting in my body, but even then, not worth the time and effort for me.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 am

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 am
It is quite difficult to get a palatable bar texture without adding some ingredients that you probably don't want (ie. emulsifiers and sugar alcohols). I've tried in the past, but haven't been too successful. Been much more successful making dense muffin-like foodstuffs with an ingredient and macro content which I am more comfortable with putting in my body, but even then, not worth the time and effort for me.
That's the thing. I'm not an ingredient Nazi, but most of the bars that are cheap, available at Wal-Mart, etc. are full of junk and basically candy bars. Would certainly incorporate honey, maple syrup or the like to get some sweetness

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

I've made my own -

Oats, peanut/almond/sunflower butter, protein powder, cocoa, honey and a little bit of almond milk to mix it. That's it.

Put in a flat dish and into the fridge. Then i cut into squares, wrap and put either back in the fridge or freezer.

While traveling I buy Quest bars or Rx bars. Homemade are better.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:46 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 am
stoptothink wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 am
That's the thing. I'm not an ingredient Nazi, but most of the bars that are cheap, available at Wal-Mart, etc. are full of junk and basically candy bars. Would certainly incorporate honey, maple syrup or the like to get some sweetness
At least from my experience, you'll probably find that just eating the separate ingredients you would have integrated into the bar as opposed to actually making the bars is just easier. Almost all "protein bars" are literally candy bars because that texture is a difficult thing to reproduce without some heavy food processing. Even ones that are considered healthier (ie. Quest or Kirkland's variety) are loaded with sugar alcohols, which may be more blood sugar friendly but can cause a whole bunch of other fun side effects, or are extremely energy dense because they rely on a lot of nut butters and higher glycemic fruits such as figs and dates.

I used to try a lot (especially when I was working as a nutrition consultant for very picky eaters), and just couldn't get a decent texture, but a banana and a small bag of almonds always did the trick.

praxis

Post by praxis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 pm

My favorite, most satisfying flavor in a protein bar is chocolate peanut butter. I have found a faster way to make a large batch of to-go snacks by making balls rather than bars. I include rolled oats, peanut butter, coconut, chocolate chips, maple syrup and protein powder. The portions of ingredients and size of the balls I make contain 100 calories and 8 grams of protein. I vary ingredients like honey or agave rather than maple syrup, roasted nuts rather than chocolate and almond rather than peanut butter. I keep them in pairs in ziplocks in the fridge. Here are 7 recipes, but most don't contain protein powder, which is what makes these snacks longer-sustaining.

https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes ... ls/?page=7