Berkey filter systems - care of the Berkey black filter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Berkey filter systems - care of the Berkey black filter

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:53 am

I'm somewhat inconsistent in my use of the Berkey since I travel, so sometimes I travel and it goes "dry". I've read you can put it in the fridge but not the freezer. Are you concerned about the black filter accumulating mold or unhealthy bacteria?

I rinse it on the outside and wipe it down (as well as cleaning the silver housing unit itself).

How do you care for your Berkey? thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Sandtrap

Re: Berkey filter systems - care of the Berkey black filter

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 am

DW and I clean and sanitize the Berkey filters once or twice a year and it has worked fine. We've had the same unit for 5 years.

whomever

Post by whomever » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:09 pm

I'd see what the manufacturer says.

FWIW, on a couple of backpacking type filters we've had over the years, the off season procedure was to suck some water with a little bleach through the filter (to kill whatever was on the dirty side of the filter) and let dry (so nothing else started growing).

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm

You should never freeze a carbon filter element -- water expands when freezing and will destroy the ability of the filter to work as intended.

Even with mold on the surface, the filter itself should still work. Biofilms are a potential problem, but they will mainly just slow down the filter. A strong bleach solution can rectify that -- better still is a chlorine-dioxide solution using a product like Aquamira. Follow that with a good reverse flush, and your filter should be good as new.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Just re-prime the filters. I think Berkey says you can clean them with some type of brush if you need to but I've never done that.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549