Boston area Relocation...major decision points

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Hubris

Boston area Relocation...major decision points

Post by Hubris » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 am

Hi all,
My Dear Spouse (DS) has an offer for a significant promotion within current organization/employer that is absolutely contingent on a relocation to HQ, to the suburbs north of Boston (Woburn) from our current home in Denver, and we need some help thinking through this. Apologies in advance for message length due to trying to provide adequate background.

We both work for the same organization, me in the C-suite and DS is 2 levels deeper in the organization although also reporting to a C-level position. The new position would involve reporting to a different department, moving a level up and reporting to a different C-level person. DS' current Mgr is fine w/the distributed working arrangement and the new Mgr isn't, for reasons that mostly make sense as well as personal preference. The new position is a medical leadership position (vs current position which is more focused on talent acquisition and L&D, mostly as an individual contributor) and would carry considerably more influence internally and externally and is a good career step that DS would like to take.

As context for the organization, we're only 2 yrs old, formed from mergers of entrepreneurial businesses. We've got revenues in the ~$150M range, business units in 7 states, 1300 employees and are growing through M&A as well as organically. We're still finding our way in terms of getting the right leaders in place but both C-level persons (current & possible new manager) are capable and seem likely to stick.

I can do my job from anywhere although my connections with C-team members will probably be enhanced if I'm in HQ more (although I also travel pretty extensively.) I'm late 50's and DS is early 50's, and I think retirement will be possible in 3-5 years, barring major downturns/macro events.

We've both relocated multiple times in our adult lives, have been in Denver for 4 yrs, have owned our house for 3 yrs and love Denver. That being said, we don't think this house and location are our retirement destination. We do want to be in the West for retirement, probably in CO but in a smaller city/town setting. I've lived in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic for extended time periods, we don't have problems with cold and snow and are intrigued by the prospects of several years or more in New England since we haven't lived there; we would try to take utmost advantage of our time there from a personal perspective including shorter cheaper flights to Europe, etc.

Getting to the financial picture, we would get a full exec Relo package including full service move, payment of realtor commissions in selling our house, PTO for house hunting, etc. We wouldn't have to move for another 6-9 months, so summer of 2018 but relocation is an absolute requirement. DS will be getting a modest comp increase. DS has pointed out increased cost of living and is getting pushback that COL is equivalent in both markets. Denver has become the most expensive non-coastal residential real estate market in US from what I read, but it looks to me like MA is still higher COL than CO. Our current house carries a 30 yr fixed mortgage, has appreciated nicely in just a few years and we will probably have about $300K equity after sale, assuming we're made whole re: realtor commissions.

So, we're trying to decide:
Whether DS should take the position and we do the Relo,

If so, how much to push the COL difference discussion and where to look for evidence,

If we do Relo, our instinct is to sell the house (not wanting to be a landlord remotely, taking advantage of company paying realtor commissions, and since it's no our retirement home.). Then, the question about what to do re: housing in MA. We have pets including a big dog so pretty much need a single family residence, and that's our preference anyhow. My bias is to rent, assuming that in 5yrs or so, we'll retire to the west and buy a home (with or without mortgage, TBD.)

Or, if we can't find a place to rent, then to buy a lower cost house that starts the process of downsizing (we don't have a lot of stuff already due to previous moves) and keeps us from tying up too much liquidity.

We've spent enough time near/around Woburn to know that's probably not exactly the right spot for us but also would want a short or reverse commute, balancing everything else above. Wondering about Peabody/Salem, etc.

Thanks you in advance for any feedback and input about key aspects of our decision-making, financial and otherwise.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Boston area Relocation...major decision points

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:14 am

Woburn being in the middle of 95/93, and just north of 3, there is NO such thing as a reverse commute. Everyone is coming from everywhere right through Woburn.

On costs, ask them for where they are getting their data. I found a wash between Denver and Burlington. But then I paid attention and it was Burlington, VT. Salaries in Boston are listed as 33% higher than in Denver. Home prices both median and per square foot between Woburn and Denver look about the same. Don't be fooled into thinking that moving over the border into NH will save you anything. 93 can be a parking lot during commuting times and you still pay Mass income tax, living in NH.

There is a TON of medical everything in eastern Massachusetts. From device makers through teaching hospitals, and into bio science companies, we have them all. So if you're getting flak, you will likely find another job easily.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 am

Many of your abbreviations are unknown to me.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 am

I now live in W Mass and love it, but spent a lot of time living in the Boston area, both city and suburbs, as a starving student, as a starving worker, and as a comfortable physician. I loved that too, in all 3 above scenarios.

Whether or not you should move based on COL is not a question that anybody here can answer for you. You have to know yourself.

It depends on how much you like the idea of living in the Boston area and how much you want the job vs. how much you are willing to compromise financially in terms of home size etc relative to the benefits your community offers you, as you define that. Some may define it by family and friends, public school quality, cultural offerings, outdoor opportunities, restaurants, proximity to beaches, outdoor activities, whatever.... Everybody has their own criteria.

I made money but money never made me. My personal choice would be to live in a studio apartment over a 4 br luxurious home in order to be in a community in which I felt at home and happy. Others would opt for more financial freedom and would be willing to live anywhere in order to achieve that.

You mentioned you don't mind cold and snow. Great, because you will get plenty of that. I wish I felt that way. Other than lousy climate, the greater Boston metro area has a lot to offer....vibrant city, beautiful countryside, lots of culture, great educational opportunities, loads of history, easy access to beautiful beaches and mountains (ok....coming from the Rockies you might call them hills...), short distance from NYC, Montreal, Wash. DC, good air connections anywhere, beautiful architecture, etc. Traffic is bad but it is bad in Denver as well.

But it is expensive. You can afford it. Anybody can...you don't "need to be rich" in order to live in Boston or NYC or SF. It depends how much you are willing to compromise.

The question you have to answer is how much does any of that mean to you relative to the cost. We can't answer that.

Nor can we answer where you would want to live if you work in Woburn, since that is also very personal, and depends on multiple factors such as how much you hate commuting, whether you prefer urban or suburban or country living, how much you want to spend, how important are public schools, how much you care about the politics of your neighbors and your community, whether you care about being on or near the water, whether you want to be near public transportation, how status conscious are you, etc etc etc.

I would probably live in Cambridge and put up with the commute, but I am probably an "outlier". I did something very much like that for years and loved it. The commute would not be so bad since you would be going against traffic.

I would suggest, if you decide to try it, that you do a lot of research, and rent for some time while exploring communities. That is how you will decide where you want to be.
Last edited by protagonist on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 am

protagonist wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 am

It depends on how much you like the idea of living in the Boston area and how much you want the job vs. how much you are willing to compromise financially in terms of home size etc relative to the benefits your community offers you, as you define that. Some may define it by family and friends, public school quality, cultural offerings, outdoor opportunities, restaurants, proximity to beaches, outdoor activities, whatever.... Everybody has their own criteria.
One nice thing about the Boston area is that there are really no cookie cutter communities. Each community has a different identity.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 am

Wellfleet wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:48 am
protagonist wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 am

One nice thing about the Boston area is that there are really no cookie cutter communities. Each community has a different identity.
Very true. I love that about Massachusetts in general. Very different in that respect cf. much of the US.
Last edited by protagonist on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hubris

Post by Hubris » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 am

mouses, sorry about that:
HQ = Heaquarters
COL = Cost Of Living

What else did I miss?
Last edited by Hubris on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hubris

Post by Hubris » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks, protagonist. And to be clear, not trying to get anyone to answer the questions for us, just looking for input. Thank you for yours, quite helpful.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:58 am

Hubris wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 am
Thanks, protagonist. And to be clear, not trying to get anyone to answer the questions for us, just looking for input. Thank you for yours, quite helpful.
Keep the change. :happy

If you have any specific questions, I (and I am sure many others here as well) am happy to help. There are a lot of Bostonians that frequent this forum....they have a local Boglehead group that meets regularly (though I have never been to a meeting...it's a bit of a haul from where I live).

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:49 am

If you go down the relocation path, before you make your final decision as to a specific location, test the commute in both the morning and afternoon rush. I relocated to the western suburbs of Boston in the early 90s. I knew going into it that the commute was going to be rough. But it will wear you down once you experience it day after day.

I had a 28 mile drive to the office which was just west of Boston. The fastest I ever made it to work was 45 minutes. A typical drive was 1 hour. If it rained, 75 minutes. Snow, 90 minutes (and it snows a lot up there). :annoyed

Eventually we moved back home to the Philly area and it was the best move of my life. Life is too short to be spending 10+ hours per week in a car getting to/from work.

slayed

Post by slayed » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Definitely rent at first, Boston area real estate is so pricey that rushing to buy could result in a very costly mistake.

dublin

Post by dublin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Speaking strictly from the commuting standpoint, I can give my two cents as I did the Woburn commute while living both in Cambridge as well as in the Foxboro-area suburbs to the south.

When I lived in the city, I had very few issues with traffic heading north in the morning and south in the evening on 93, since most traffic is heading in the other direction (except for that time I left the office to go home at 7am...). In the event your GPS service of choice tells you there is traffic for one reason or another, you can also pivot to either back roads or 95/2.

When I lived south of the city, however, traffic was miserable in both directions if it was anything close to rush hour. 40 minutes on clear roads easily turned into 1.25-1.5 hours with rush hour traffic.

lhl12

Post by lhl12 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:51 pm

I would explore living in Winchester. It is a beautiful little town just south of Woburn. It is nicer than Woburn, a little closer to Boston, and with a Commuter Rail station that will allow you to take the train into Boston if you wish.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm

lhl12 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:51 pm
I would explore living in Winchester. It is a beautiful little town just south of Woburn. It is nicer than Woburn, a little closer to Boston, and with a Commuter Rail station that will allow you to take the train into Boston if you wish.
Winchester is definitely nice but upscale, as is Lexington which is close by also.
I live next door to Woburn in the other direction where it's somewhat less upscale.

It comes down to how much $$$ you want to pay, how much of a commute, pretty much the usual factors...
Attempted new signature...

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Just a few observations from when I did a corporate relocation.

1) The company would only pay a lot of the costs for me sell my house and buy a new house if I did it within a few months of when I moved. That was a significant amount of money so renting for a while was not a good option for us.

2) The company I worked for had a formal relocation policy that listed what they would and would not pay for in selling and buying a house. I gave copies of that section of the relocation policy to the real estate agents so that the contracts could be written up to make the most use of what they would pay and minimize the things that would not be reimbursed. The contracts were not typical contracts but the buyers and sellers were OK with that long as their bottom line came out the same. That also saved us money.

3) Many, if not most, of the relocation expenses the company pays will be taxable for you so they should "gross up" the amounts so that you break even after taxes. For example if you are in the 33% tax bracket and have a $1,000 expense then they would need to give you $1,500 so that you could pay $500 in taxes and still get $1,000 back. This will make your income higher and may mean that you have income based phase outs or surcharges or the AMT for that years taxes.

4) We moved to Atlanta and planned on moving somewhere else to retire. By the time I retired my son had settled down here with his wife and they have a kid. We typically see them a couple of times a week and take care of our grand-kid one or two days a week. Moving would mean leaving our kid and grand-kid so that is pretty well not an option now. If you have kids there is a good chance they will settle down there.

rennale

Post by rennale » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:49 pm

As a previous reply mentioned, there isn't much of a reverse commute to be had. But, as also mentioned, living in central Boston and driving north out to Woburn is definitely manageable.

This would put you living in the city of Boston (the Back Bay or Beacon Hill, perhaps), or Cambridge, or Charlestown. It depends if you value quaint old gas-lamp streets with lovely houses full of character but with minimal parking, or want a back yard and garage. There are lots of new condo/apartment buildings in the city, with parking, and (some) allow dogs.

I agree with earlier comments about Winchester - a nice town. I think there are nice parts of Reading, Andover, Wakefield and Melrose (but don't really know them). Salem has some very nice areas too and, if you're into sea and sail and character, it's hard to beat Marblehead (but, oh, I'll bet the commute would be a bear). If you're of a literary bent, there's always Concord.

Rent first.

chw

Post by chw » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Congrats on your possible relo to Boston! Agree with others regarding:
- doing the reverse commute out of the Boston metro area is doable with minimal traffic if coming up along the Rt 93 corridor.
- avoid moving to NH, as you would still pay MA income tax (NH rate is zero if work there). In general real estate taxes are higher there as well due no state income tax.
- see if relo will include cost of short term rental in area- say 30-60 days. This will give you time to get a better feel for where you may want to live. Agree with others that you should rent at least a year so you don't make a costly mistake misjudging a commute, or living conditions/amenities in a nearby city or town.
- some other towns to consider in addition to those mentioned, would be Arlington, Bedford, and Lexington. Of note is that there has been a building boom of luxury apartments in the Boston metro. Some of these are very upscale, with very modern amenities. Rents are on the high side, but being a renter gives you flexibility to enjoy nice live big conditions in some of the better areas of Boston. Most of the newer projects are also offering 1-2 months free rent.

Good luck with the move, and feel free to PM me with any additional questions.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:49 am
If you go down the relocation path, before you make your final decision as to a specific location, test the commute in both the morning and afternoon rush. I relocated to the western suburbs of Boston in the early 90s. I knew going into it that the commute was going to be rough. But it will wear you down once you experience it day after day.

I had a 28 mile drive to the office which was just west of Boston. The fastest I ever made it to work was 45 minutes. A typical drive was 1 hour. If it rained, 75 minutes. Snow, 90 minutes (and it snows a lot up there). :annoyed

Eventually we moved back home to the Philly area and it was the best move of my life. Life is too short to be spending 10+ hours per week in a car getting to/from work.
The OP will be working in Woburn.

If OP lives southeast of there and commutes against traffic it should not be too bad I would think.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:07 pm

OP,

I have lived in the Midwest for some time as well as Boston and have spent some time in Denver. My wife at one time worked in the area you are looking at as well.

There will be traffic to Woburn. I would probably live in Lexington, Winchester, Arlington, or something around there for the sake of the commute. I wouldn’t live in the city, not even in Back Bay or somewhere that is nice due to the commute.

The weather in Mass is worse than the Midwest and much worse than Denver. Boston gets much more wind than the Midwest and Denver.

I almost laughed that the employer stated the cost of living is the same. I can get the nicest apartment in Cherry Creek for the price of a middle of the road apartment in Mass, and not even in the city. It’s not close and they are being disingenuous. Everything is more expensive in Mass. I remember going to Denver and being astounded by how cheap everything was. You will probably be looking at a cut of 15% or so if your salary stays the same. I know in this case it is not, but something to keep in mind.

The culture in the Midwest is much more like Denver than New England is to Denver. The people you meet are different and the overt friendliness is not seen as much.

If I were you, the best option would be to rent for at least 60 days to get your bearings and go from there. It looks like that isn’t an option. Best of luck.

crit

Post by crit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 pm

The advice above about the 93/95 interchange is the standout. I would strongly advise you to live on or within whichever quadrant of that interchange your work is on, so that you don't have to cross it or even drive past it to get to work.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 pm

I'd start looking in Wayland MA for a rental house, if that will keep you away from the interchange. (I grew up near Wayland.) Looking at trulia.com there are $2500/mo rentals available. Wayland is not famous for anything but it is a nice small often-overlooked community. I'd stay away from the rich and famous like Lexington, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, with the possible exception of River House on Pinckney St, Beacon Hill which has both rentals and condos to buy.

Map: https://www.distance-cities.com/distanc ... -woburn-ma
10% cash 45% stock 45% bond. Retired, w/d rate 1.5%

ccf

Post by ccf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Hubris wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 am
but also would want a short or reverse commute, balancing everything else above. Wondering about Peabody/Salem, etc.
North shore towns are going to be a painful commute to Woburn during peak times. I'd cross those off of your list.

but, if you are both in your mid 50s and the higher cost isn't a problem then I think you have some great options. I 2nd (or 3rd or whatever) suggestions of Arlington, Winchester, and Lexington.

NEInvestor

Post by NEInvestor » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:36 pm

I work in the Woburn area and own in a nearby town. As a point of reference, the real estate market is extremely hot right now in most towns surrounding Woburn. Coworkers of mine have been experiencing houses being deliberately priced for multiple offers and bidding wars. I would caution reviewing listing prices for homes in Woburn or the surrounding towns since this tactic is being used by many selling agents in the area because of the hot market. I would contact a local realtor and try to get a better feel for the actul relocation cost if you want to buy.

All of the towns mentioned seem great. Burlington could also be a great place to look. It is right next to Woburn and the town has lower property taxes than many of the other towns in the area due to the many large companies located in the town.

Good luck!

chw

Post by chw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:49 am

Christine_NM wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 pm
I'd start looking in Wayland MA for a rental house, if that will keep you away from the interchange. (I grew up near Wayland.) Looking at trulia.com there are $2500/mo rentals available. Wayland is not famous for anything but it is a nice small often-overlooked community. I'd stay away from the rich and famous like Lexington, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, with the possible exception of River House on Pinckney St, Beacon Hill which has both rentals and condos to buy.

Map: https://www.distance-cities.com/distanc ... -woburn-ma
Agree that Wayland is a quaint New England town, but the commute to Woburn will bu brutal- 1 hour +/- during regular commute times. Woburn is a solid 45 minute drive with no traffic. I worked nearby (in Natick) for 13 years, and went up to the Woburn area enough to know.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 am

Worked and lived in both Boston and Salem. I also recommend you rent first. Towns on the 495 belt can be so different (and even neighborhoods within those towns) that I wouldn't jump into buying a place

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:55 am

The Wizard wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm
lhl12 wrote:
Winchester is definitely nice but upscale, as is Lexington which is close by also.
I live next door to Woburn in the other direction where it's somewhat less upscale.

It comes down to how much $$$ you want to pay, how much of a commute, pretty much the usual factors...
Without kids in the picture, unclear it is worth it for Lexington/Winchester/other $$$ towns of area. I live in one of the expensive towns and like it, but a decent number of folks move out once their kids are out of HS/College. Median home value in Lexington is something like 900K for example. Median home in Woburn is maybe half that. If you aren't paying for the schools, maybe don't want to pay that huge premium? Or if money isn't a object, maybe you'd find more people with your income level and be happier living amongst them in Lexington/Lincoln/Weston/Winchester?

Hubris

Post by Hubris » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:56 am

Thank you, everyone for these thoughtful posts.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:54 am

Here is a comparison of costs between Denver and Woburn

http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-livin ... n-ma/50000

just frank

Post by just frank » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:04 am

slayed wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:05 pm
Definitely rent at first, Boston area real estate is so pricey that rushing to buy could result in a very costly mistake.
Second this. I grew up in MA, and still vacation annually on the Cape. Saw a LOT of bubbly and crashy real-estate motions in 20 years, back in the last century. Boston is a burgeoning tech hub now, and bills itself as SanFran East, and is using that logic to bid up its RE prices to SF levels. I'm skeptical that that will work out seamlessly long term.

In something more OT, you couldn't pay me enough to go back to MA. There must be pockets of people I could relate to around the universities, but the provinciality and thought processes of the general population (that I grew up with)...no way. For the record, I have lived in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and SoCal....and loved all of them.

So....plan to make an effort to find like minded and friendly people/neighbors/community before you buy.

BrianMc

Post by BrianMc » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 am

just frank wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:04 am
slayed wrote:
In something more OT, you couldn't pay me enough to go back to MA. There must be pockets of people I could relate to around the universities, but the provinciality and thought processes of the general population (that I grew up with)...no way. For the record, I have lived in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and SoCal....and loved all of them.

Wow. Stereotype much? Would love to hear you explain this.

just frank

Post by just frank » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:37 am

BrianMc wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 am
just frank wrote:
slayed wrote:
Guilty as charged. Not interested in elaborating, but for those who like wordplay I would say 'it would be nice to have a home by the sea but for the sea holms'.

I hear CO is really nice. :D

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Da5id wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:55 am
The Wizard wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 pm
lhl12 wrote:

Without kids in the picture, unclear it is worth it for Lexington/Winchester/other $$$ towns of area. I live in one of the expensive towns and like it, but a decent number of folks move out once their kids are out of HS/College. Median home value in Lexington is something like 900K for example. Median home in Woburn is maybe half that. If you aren't paying for the schools, maybe don't want to pay that huge premium? Or if money isn't a object, maybe you'd find more people with your income level and be happier living amongst them in Lexington/Lincoln/Weston/Winchester?
New Englanders have long memories. Woburn is the subject of A Civil Action with John Travolta from a couple of decades ago. The town is forever tainted to a lot of people, for better or worse.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:24 pm

just frank wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:37 am
BrianMc wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 am
just frank wrote:
slayed wrote:
Guilty as charged. Not interested in elaborating, but for those who like wordplay I would say 'it would be nice to have a home by the sea but for the sea holms'.

I hear CO is really nice. :D
just frank is just being frank. :D I grew up in MA too and think the same things about it but never say them. So I could not accuse him of stereotyping. It would be quite a chore for me to find a compatible MA neighborhood now, but it's surprisingly easy here in NM.
10% cash 45% stock 45% bond. Retired, w/d rate 1.5%

simas

Post by simas » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:04 am

sorry, these two do not seem to go together

"My Dear Spouse (DS) has an offer for a significant promotion"

" DS will be getting a modest comp increase"

which one is it? significant raise/promotion or modest comp increase?

Boston, MA would be significant cost increase over Denver..

Hubris

Post by Hubris » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks, Simas. Both, significant promotion with only a modest comp increase, unfortunately.

All, I think we're all set on this and the feedback has given us information that will help us significantly.

Thank you