Asking for discounts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
unclescrooge

Asking for discounts

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:26 am

I usually ask for a discount everywhere I go, especially if I'm spending over a couple of hundred dollars.

However, my wife has a very tough time asking for discounts, even when I tell her the exact words to use. I just saw this video and I thought it might help some of you that struggle with getting a discount. It's more of a mindset than anything else. Plus the video is short and very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PdepKEG6c

open_circuit

Re: Asking for discounts

Post by open_circuit » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am

Can't see the video now, but the post reminds me of an episode of This American Life from a few years back where the host goes around asking for the "Good Guy Discount". He wanted to test if discounts are available simply by asking for them.

Does asking work for you?

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:40 pm

I like asking for discounts as well!

Here I will ask:
- At Home Depot or Lowes: On appliances, find a display model or closeout, "The Manager" will almost always knock off another 10%. You can also get 10% "moving coupons" for either of these stores from ebay for about $10, they arrive as a PDF. They have saved me hundreds over the years!
- Department Stores: The clerk usually will have a discount coupon under the counter and can apply it for you. 10-25% off!
- Mall kiosks: Will usually knock off a few bucks (cell phone cases, sunglasses etc)
- Furniture stores
- Auto dealers: Now we do the internet shopping method, but hopefully no one feels proud that they paid full MSRP at a car dealer :wink:

Usually no hope:
- Houses: LOL! (most around here go for asking price or higher, setting a low price is actually a strategy that leads to top dollar)
- Costco (although you may have luck with a floor model appliance that doesn't have box/papers)
- Grocery stores
- Walmart/Target (but floor model items may be good candidates here too)
- Cell phone carriers

Good websites to follow:
- Slickdeals
- Fatwallet
- Ebates

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:44 pm

I ask quite a bit too..... I'll also try AARP Membership, Senior, retired government and everything else I can think of.... and then pay on the 2% cash back Visa.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm

open_circuit wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am
Can't see the video now, but the post reminds me of an episode of This American Life from a few years back where the host goes around asking for the "Good Guy Discount". He wanted to test if discounts are available simply by asking for them.

good guy discount, this american life (Prologue) link below. Only 6 minutes long and way better IMO than that you tube video the OP posted. Had to turn it off when he said he was being rejected by "ugly girls". Dude, you're no prize yourself. Enjoy the This American Life clip below. Big difference between a youtube production and NPR journalism.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio- ... /good-guys
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

mortalsonofmortal

Post by mortalsonofmortal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:27 pm

I was reluctant in the early days. But now I ask more frequently. My shift in mindset happened because of a recent experience. I was in Best Buy for a laptop and i asked for returned or open box items. There was a laptop, not the latest model but had good reviews. Because as it was a returned item, it was already on discount. I asked the rep whether they would sell it for $50 less than what they discounted. He said no. For the first time in my life, i pushed back and asked him whether he can check with his manager. He went and came back with the manager. She said she would be able to take off another $35 off. I took the deal.

That day i understood that managers have more flexibility with giving or approving deep discounts. It has worked out for me in Kholes, Sheraton, JC pennys etc.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:40 pm
Here I will ask:
- At Home Depot or Lowes: On appliances, find a display model or closeout, "The Manager" will almost always knock off another 10%. You can also get 10% "moving coupons" for either of these stores from ebay for about $10, they arrive as a PDF. They have saved me hundreds over the years!
- Department Stores: The clerk usually will have a discount coupon under the counter and can apply it for you. 10-25% off!
- Mall kiosks: Will usually knock off a few bucks (cell phone cases, sunglasses etc)
- Furniture stores
- Auto dealers: Now we do the internet shopping method, but hopefully no one feels proud that they paid full MSRP at a car dealer :wink:

Good websites to follow:
- Fatwallet
Also can add cable/satellite/internet providers to the discounts given column along with ambulance companies and hospitals.

By the way... FatWallet is done, shutting down shortly.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Years ago, my AC went out when it was 100 degrees, and they couldn't fix until the next day. I decided to spend the night in a low-cost chain hotel nearby, figuring it would be more comfortable than lying in bed with all the fans blowing on me. At the hotel, I asked the desk clerk if they had any kind of program with Megacorp. It's worth asking for any travel-related business, although they generally use nicer hotels than this. She said no, just AAA and few others, but I said none of those apply to me. In the morning, the bill had the AAA discount on it.
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:19 pm

The killer is when you discover that a local store or restaurant has routinely been giving you the senior discount -- and you didn't even know to ask for it. :shock:

I was recently travelling in France. At most places there you need a state-issued senior card to get any age-related discount, but I asked anyway and sometimes got a euro or two off museum admission. When buying a train ticket from a real, live person, I learned (without any prompting on my part) about traveling in "blue" hours and was able to save some money by making sure I boarded inter-city trains outside of specified rush hours.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm

I always ask for senior discount for my husband. Small amount but it beats bending down and picking up pennies, which is something I don’t do.

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:13 pm

I had a co-worker who was an "asker". Once, checking into a nice hotel on business, he asked for a AAA discount (do you have an AAA card they asked, No he replied, but I have a car :shock: ), then AARP (No, but I probably will join someday :?: ), and finally asked if his Kroger Card would get him a discount. Defeated, the clerk literally said "I give up" and gave us both a 20% discount. :confused
Since I saw that in action, I seldom pay full price for a motel anymore. :greedy
There are infinite numbers between two and three, but none of them is 4.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:34 pm

I have a funniest story. In 1998 we had this guy that moved to work for our company from far away. He had sold everything he owned and drove down with just car and cloths. So he ended up going to Walmart to buy a bunch of things. His bill was about $2000. At the checkout counter he simply asked since he is buying so much can he get some discount. The cashier called the store manager. Manager came and gave him 10% off. I still tell this story to my kids, who are so afraid to ask anyone of anything.

If you don't ask there is 100% guarantee that you will not get it. :-)

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:38 pm

I ask quite a bit too..... I'll also try AARP Membership, Senior, retired government and everything else I can think of.... and then pay on the 2% cash back Visa.
When customers ask me in my business for a discount I tell them yes - if you pay with cash or check :D

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:56 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 pm
It is gone.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:02 pm

prudent wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:56 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:58 pm
It is gone.
Wow! Another of my favorites, pricescan, it also gone. :confused

But I just started an ebates thread, check it out:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=229383

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:16 pm

The one that surprised me the most was for auto repair. I had a 2003 Audi and had purchased the extended warranty for 50K to 100K. Whenever I took it in for services, they would give me the bill which would show something like $2200 for the services, show the warranty company had paid $1650, and I owed the $100 deductible. When I asked about the difference between what was paid and their original bill, they said it was their policy to write it off since they had sold me the extended warranty. When the warranty expired, I started asking for a 15-20% discount on any major repair work, and usually got at least 15%.

For medical services, there is no real rate: they get paid X by Medicare, Y by Medi-caid, and various amounts by the different PPOs, HMOs, etc. If it goes thru the insurance company and the reprice with a discount, I usually pay whatever is owed. But, every now and then, the doctor will order a test which isn't covered. I've been to my doctor and have them tell me a test isn't covered by insurance, and how much it costs. Then, I can make up my mind to go thru with it or not. Unfortunately, you don't always get that advance notice, and you end up with sometimes a whopper bill. In one case, my wife's doctor ordered a test for something to do with vitamin deficiency. She asked upfront, and the doctor said she thought it was $200-$250. We got the bill, and it was $1800. She called the doctor, and her office either covered the bill or made the provider eat it: we never saw another bill.

We were recently in London. Considered buying some play tickets thru a short notice service. But, never got it done, and just showed up at the theater before show time. Ended up we got cheaper tics at the theater direct, but also a 15% senior discount.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:55 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:26 am
I usually ask for a discount everywhere I go, especially if I'm spending over a couple of hundred dollars.

However, my wife has a very tough time asking for discounts, even when I tell her the exact words to use. I just saw this video and I thought it might help some of you that struggle with getting a discount. It's more of a mindset than anything else. Plus the video is short and very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PdepKEG6c
Thanks for an entertaining video.
Actionably:
DW and I ask for a discount for nearly everything anywhere no matter the amount.

Do you have a senior discount?
Do you have an AARP discount?
Do you have a AAA discount?
Do you have a contractor's discount?
Coupons?
etc,
etc,
etc.
For large purchases it would be either discounts or freebies thrown in, free delivery, include tax, etc, etc.

It's either very old school (50's) or a mindset or both.
:D
Shared experiences to benefit all -- not an exspurt -- per forum guidelines :) Golf score allocation 50/50 swings vs putts.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:55 pm
DW and I ask for a discount for nearly everything anywhere no matter the amount.

Do you have a senior discount?
Do you have an AARP discount?
Do you have a AAA discount?
Do you have a contractor's discount?
Coupons?
etc,
etc,
etc.
For large purchases it would be either discounts or freebies thrown in, free delivery, include tax, etc, etc.
I'll have to keep these in mind!

I usually just say "is that the best that you can do?" And then I look them dead in the eye and pause awkwardly until they (usually) fold :mrgreen:
But for those cases when it doesn't, these are solid back-up questions :beer

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
]
-
Home Depot and Lowe's will also give big discounts if you're spending a lot of money there in one purchase. When we bought a big (>4400 sq ft) house about 9 years ago, we needed about 3000 sq ft in new carpet. Home Depot gave us the contractor's price since it was such a big purchase. (it was a big savings, although I don't remember what %). Then about 2 years ago we bought another house that needed new doors, appliances, plumbing & electrical, etc...we were planning to spend more than $5k just at Lowe's. I don't remember how it came about, but somehow a manager told us he'd give us 10% off. So all that to say, if you are spending big bucks at one of the home improvement stores, it's worth it to ask.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:16 pm
But, every now and then, the doctor will order a test which isn't covered. I've been to my doctor and have them tell me a test isn't covered by insurance, and how much it costs. Then, I can make up my mind to go thru with it or not. Unfortunately, you don't always get that advance notice, and you end up with sometimes a whopper bill.
On Medicare, if something is not covered or the doctor's office thinks it may not be covered, the patient is handed a form to sign. No signed form, no payment required.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:51 pm

open_circuit wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 am

Very frequently.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:01 pm

boglegirl wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
]
-
Home Depot and Lowe's will also give big discounts if you're spending a lot of money there in one purchase. When we bought a big (>4400 sq ft) house about 9 years ago, we needed about 3000 sq ft in new carpet. Home Depot gave us the contractor's price since it was such a big purchase. (it was a big savings, although I don't remember what %). Then about 2 years ago we bought another house that needed new doors, appliances, plumbing & electrical, etc...we were planning to spend more than $5k just at Lowe's. I don't remember how it came about, but somehow a manager told us he'd give us 10% off. So all that to say, if you are spending big bucks at one of the home improvement stores, it's worth it to ask.
Sears is also handing out discounts like they're going out of style.

Well, Sears is going out of business, so maybe it's a ploy to get new business!

The store near me is always full of highly knowledgeable sales staff. They bent over backwards to get my business when I ordered a complete kitchen set.

Highly recommend Sears for appliances.

I kept pushing back delivery on the appliances for a few months...until Bosch just recalled the dishwasher. I was a bit annoyed because they had price matched with a local store and I thought I might have to stay the whole process from scratch.

But they were awesome. Within 30 minutes I walked out with a higher end model and refund of $150 on my credit card.
Last edited by unclescrooge on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:04 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 pm
I'll have to keep these in mind!

I usually just say "is that the best that you can do?" And then I look them dead in the eye and pause awkwardly until they (usually) fold :mrgreen:
But for those cases when it doesn't, these are solid back-up questions :beer
Nice! :wink: I will have to try it.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:38 pm
When customers ask me in my business for a discount I tell them yes - if you pay with cash or check :D
Yup, I asked all the vendors for my wedding about cash discounts. Except the venue, every single took off 15-30%.

It also helped the wedding was September-end, which is the cusp of off-season (not that it makes any difference in SoCal).

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:25 am

A friend sent me this a while back, may not be up to date..but hey you got to ask.... :D

SENIOR DISCOUNTS
> Keep this list and send a copy to your senior friends and relatives.
> As I was waiting in line behind an older gentleman at Wendy's recently, I heard him ask for his senior discount. The girl at the register apologized and charged him less. When I asked the man what the discount was, he told me that seniors over age 55 get 10% off everything on the menu, every day.
> Being of 'that' age myself, I figured I might as well ask for the discount too.
> This incident prompted me to do some research, and I came across a list of restaurants, supermarkets, department stores, travel deals and other types of offers giving various discounts with different age requirements. I was actually surprised to see how many there are and how some of them start at the young age of 50 .
> This list may not only be useful for you, but for your friends and family too.
> Dunkin Donuts gives free coffee to people over 55 .
> If you're paying for a cup every day, you might want to start getting it for FREE.
> YOU ;must ASK for your discount !
> RESTAURANTS:
> Applebee's: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60+)
> Arby's: 10% off ( 55 +)
> Ben & Jerry's: 10% off (60+)
> Bennigan's: discount varies by location (60+)
> Bob's Big Boy: discount varies by location (60+)
> Boston Market: 10% off (65+)
> Burger King: 10% off (60+)
> Chick-Fil-A: 10% off or free small drink or coffee ( 55+)
> Chili's: 10% off ( 55+)
> CiCi's Pizza: 10% off (60+)
> Denny's: 10% off, 20% off for AARP members ( 55 +)
> Dunkin' Donuts: 10% off or free coffee ( 55+)
> Einstein's Bagels: 10% off baker's dozen of bagels (60+)
> Fuddrucker's: 10% off any senior platter ( 55+)
> Gatti's Pizza: 10% off (60+)
> Golden Corral: 10% off (60+)
> Hardee's: $0.33 beverages everyday (65+)
> IHOP: 10% off ( 55+)
> Jack in the Box: up to 20% off ( 55+)
> KFC: free small drink with any meal ( 55+)
> Krispy Kreme: 10% off ( 50+)
> Long John Silver's: various discounts at locations ( 55+)
> McDonald's: discounts on coffee everyday ( 55+)
> Mrs. Fields: 10% off at participating locations (60+)
> Shoney's: 10% off
> Sonic: 10% off or free beverage (60+)
> Steak 'n Shake: 10% off every Monday & Tuesday ( 50+)
> Subway: 10% off (60+)
> Sweet Tomatoes: 10% off (62+)
> Taco Bell : 5% off; free beverages for seniors (65+)
> TCBY: 10% off ( 55+)
> Tea Room Cafe: 10% off ( 50+)
> Village Inn: 10% off (60+)
> Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60+)
> Wendy's: 10% off ( 55 +)
> Whataburger: 10% off (62+)
> White Castle: 10% off (62+) This is for me ... if I ever see one again.
> RETAIL & APPAREL :
> Banana Republic: 30% off ( 50 +)
> Bealls: 20% off first Tuesday of each month ( 50 +)
> Belk's: 15% off first Tuesday of every month ( 55 +)
> Big Lots: 30% off
> Bon-Ton Department Stores: 15% off on senior discount days ( 55 +)
> C.J. Banks: 10% off every Wednesday (50+)
> Clarks : 10% off (62+)
> Dress Barn: 20% off ( 55+)
> Goodwill: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
> Hallmark: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
> Kmart: 40% off (Wednesdays only) ( 50+)
> Kohl's: 15% off (60+)
> Modell's Sporting Goods: 30% off
> Rite Aid: 10% off on Tuesdays & 10% off prescriptions
> Ross Stores: 10% off every Tuesday ( 55+)
> The Salvation Army Thrift Stores: up to 50% off ( 55+)
> Stein Mart: 20% off red dot/clearance items first Monday of every month ( 55 +)
> GROCERY :
> Albertson's: 10% off first Wednesday of each month ( 55 +)
> American Discount Stores: 10% off every Monday ( 50 +)
> Compare Foods Supermarket: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)
> DeCicco Family Markets: 5% off every Wednesday (60+)
> Food Lion: 60% off every Monday (60+)
> Fry's Supermarket: free Fry's VIP Club Membership & 10% off every Monday ( 55 +)
> Great Valu Food Store: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
> Gristedes Supermarket: 10% off every Tuesday (60+)
> Harris Teeter: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
> Hy-Vee: 5% off one day a week (date varies by location)
> Kroger: 10% off (date varies by location)
> Morton Williams Supermarket: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
> The Plant Shed: 10% off every Tuesday ( 50 +)
> Publix: 15% off every Wednesday ( 55 +)
> Rogers Marketplace: 5% off every Thursday (60+)
> Uncle Guiseppe's Marketplace: 15% off (62+)
> TRAVEL :
> Airlines:
> Alaska Airlines: 50% off (65+)
> American Airlines: various discounts for 50% off non-peak periods (Tuesdays - Thursdays) (62+)and up (call before booking for discount)
> Continental Airlines: no initiation fee for Continental Presidents Club & special fares for select destinations
> Southwest Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
> United Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
> U.S. Airways: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
> Rail:
> Amtrak: 15% off (62+)
> Bus:
> Greyhound: 15% off (62+)
> Trailways Transportation System: various discounts for ages 50+
> Car Rental:
> Alamo Car Rental: up to 25% off for AARP members
> Avis: up to 25% off for AARP members
> Budget Rental Cars: 40% off; up to 50% off for AARP members ( 50+)
> Dollar Rent-A-Car: 10% off ( 50+) Enterprise Rent-A-Car: 5% off for AARP members Hertz: up to 25% off for AARP members
> National Rent-A-Car: up to 30% off for AARP members
> Overnight Accommodations:
> Holiday Inn: 20-40% off depending on location (62+)
> Best Western: 40% off (55+)
> Cambria Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
> Waldorf Astoria - NYC $5,000 off nightly rate for Presidential Suite (55 +)
> Clarion Motels: 20%-30% off (60+)
> Comfort Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
> Comfort Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
> Econo Lodge: 40% off (60+)
> Hampton Inns & Suites: 40% off when booked 72 hours in advance
> Hyatt Hotels: 25%-50% off (62+)
> InterContinental Hotels Group: various discounts at all hotels (65+)
> Mainstay Suites: 10% off with Mature Traveler's Discount (50+); 20%-30% off (60+)
> Marriott Hotels: 25% off (62+)
> Motel 6: Stay Free Sunday nights (60+)
> Myrtle Beach Resort: 30% off ( 55 +)
> Quality Inn: 40%-50% off (60+)
> Rodeway Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
> Sleep Inn: 40% off (60+)
> ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT ;:
> AMC Theaters: up to 30% off ( 55 +)
> Bally Total Fitness: $100 off memberships (62+)
> Busch Gardens Tampa, FL: $13 off one-day tickets ( 50 +)
> Carmike Cinemas: 35% off (65+)
> Cinemark/Century Theaters: up to 35% off
> Massage Envy - NYC 20% off all "Happy Endings" (62 +)
> U.S. National Parks: $10 lifetime pass; 50% off additional services including camping (62+)
> Regal Cinemas: 50% off Ripley's Believe it or Not: @ off one-day ticket ( 55 +)
> SeaWorld, Orlando , FL : $3 off one-day tickets ( 50 +)
> CELL PHONE DISCOUNTS :
> AT&T: Special Senior Nation 200 Plan $19.99/month (65+)
> Jitterbug: $10/month cell phone service ( 50 +)
> Verizon Wireless: Verizon Nationwide 65 Plus Plan $29.99/month (65+).
> MISCELLANEOUS:
> Great Clips: $8 off hair cuts (60+)
> Supercuts: $8 off haircuts (60+)
> NOW, go out there and claim your discounts - - - - and remember ----
> YOU must ASK for your discount ---- no ask, no discount.
> I Know every one knows someone over 50 please pass the one on!!!!!

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 am

Yup, I asked all the vendors for my wedding about cash discounts. Except the venue, every single took off 15-30%.
It only saves me 2 to 4% but if they ask for a discount, so do I.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 am

For those for whom the link didn't work, here is the the This American Life - Good Guys broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv9uH8iLVy8

This is an interesting topic and I've made similar observations. I've noticed that asking for discounts is just one manifestation of a much broader personality type. In my experience people who ask for discounts also tend to also advocate for themselves or others. They are often more confident and outgoing, and more inclined to speak up and ask questions. They are less afraid of confrontation. Also, when things don't go well, they may also be more willing to raise a complaint. This has implications for situations like competing for limited resources. Or even seeking professional advice, e.g. medical care, legal, financial, where those that accept everything at face value and do not question may not get the best or most appropriate advice. It's "the squeaky wheel that gets the oil" kind of thing.

BTW, the cousin of asking for a discount is asking for an upgrade. For the advanced hagglers among us, if a discount is not forthcoming, sometimes freebies or upgrades are. A room, hotel, car rental upgrade. Maybe a free month of cable or cell service. Free floor mats with car. Even a second dessert.

Like those two YT guys, I wonder if one were to take a group of people who are otherwise Milquetoasts, and forced them to ask for discounts for every transaction, whether the experience would have any spillover effect to the rest of their personality. Sounds like a social psychology experiment, or a TED talk.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Brewman

Post by Brewman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:47 pm

[/> Massage Envy - NYC 20% off all "Happy Endings" (62 +)quote]

Is this a chain? :P

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm
I always ask for senior discount for my husband. Small amount but it beats bending down and picking up pennies, which is something I don’t do.
Picking up pennies is an exercise for the back. It saves the mattress cost.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:19 pm

I am very shy about asking for discounts. However when I purchased my Dryer at Lowe's it was an open box model and had some cosmetic defects. I summoned the courage to ask for a discount for those and the staff member assisting me did discount it 5%-ish if I recall correctly.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:34 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm
Picking up pennies is an exercise for the back. It saves the mattress cost.

Victoria
I have Pilates for that and belly dancing. It costs more money to wash my hands after I pick up a dirty penny. I’m sure that is pennywise and pound foolish even for a frugal person.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:20 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
I usually ask for a discount everywhere I go
Hotels!!!

In college, I worked in a hotel in a town full of hotels.

Our "rack rate" was $59 most nights and $79 busy nights.

A lot of customers paid anywhere from $30 to $50. An empty hotel room is a loss. AARP or AAA was $53. The break even cost considering paying housekeeping and continental breakfast was about $10-$15 for a room back then. I have seen rates as low as $20-$25. Just call, talk to someone. Call the night shift, call back the next day. till you get a good result Ask for the regulars rate, managers special, or truck driver rate (that's a good one). I think our truck driver rate was $35. No one ever had to prove anything either.

kjvm

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 pm

guys are just more aggressive at trying to get a better deal. My wife never ask either....i'm the one always asking and jockeying for the discounts...i'm fine with that.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:37 pm

I occasionally ask for discounts if I see blemish on the merchandise or open box / floor models at big box stores. I'll never ask for discount at small businesses or street vendors.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 am

squirm wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 pm
guys are just more aggressive at trying to get a better deal. My wife never ask either....i'm the one always asking and jockeying for the discounts...i'm fine with that.
I wouldn’t stereotype either. My husband is too shy to ask for discount when I’m not.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:13 am

kjvmartin wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:20 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
I usually ask for a discount everywhere I go
Hotels!!!

In college, I worked in a hotel in a town full of hotels.

Our "rack rate" was $59 most nights and $79 busy nights.

A lot of customers paid anywhere from $30 to $50. An empty hotel room is a loss. AARP or AAA was $53. The break even cost considering paying housekeeping and continental breakfast was about $10-$15 for a room back then. I have seen rates as low as $20-$25. Just call, talk to someone. Call the night shift, call back the next day. till you get a good result Ask for the regulars rate, managers special, or truck driver rate (that's a good one). I think our truck driver rate was $35. No one ever had to prove anything either.

kjvm
Thanks for the tip :wink:

Abe

Post by Abe » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Asking for a discount is one way to save money. There are a lot of other ways to save if you know how. I learned a lot from this book: Secrets of Power Negotiating by Roger Dawson $14.58 on Amazon. :beer
Slow and steady wins the race.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:19 pm

When a bit younger I dated a woman whose father was a doctor. They were well off and he did not feel he should ask for a senior discount, so he did not, nor did his wife. Unless he was not present, in which case his wife asked for every discount imaginable. Everyone kept her secret.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Many department stores give discounts if the buyer uses the store's credit card. Many will give the discount if the buyer applies for their credit card. I always tell them that I want the discount, but I'm only going to pay cash. No discount, no sale! Some cashiers have turned me away and have had to return the merchandise to the shelves. No managers have refused the sale. I suspect that the cashiers who rejected the sale were following the rules established by management. These managers lost a sale in hopes of making money on interest from charge cards. Since I always pay monthly balances, they didn't have an opportunity to make money even if I used their card. Actually, the company would have saved money because they would have saved the cost of sending me a bill. Dumb business practices may be a reason why many brick and mortar retailers are failing.

Walking away is my strategy. I'm not an impulse buyer. Sometimes it didn't work, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

DMW

Spire

Post by Spire » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:15 pm

At Home Depot, purchases over $1500.00, go to the contractor desk and talk to them. They will take your order and send it "upstairs" to get you a bid. Better than 10% off total purchase price. The discount really stacks up for commodity items like 2x lumber, plywood, insulation etc. Not sure about appliances though, can't hurt to talk to them.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Earlier today, I took my 20-year old Honda Civic for an annual state inspection. A guy in the shop where I usually do it said that Civic will not pass the inspection because the headlights are cloudy and have to be cleaned from inside. I asked how much it will cost. He said $45 each headlight. I asked if he could do both for $80 and he has grudgingly agreed.

At that time, I thought that I have accomplished something. Later I had afterthoughts that perhaps another shop would charge me $60, or $50, or even less. It's too late to do something about it. But I am curious how much I have overpaid, if any.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:41 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 pm
Earlier today, I took my 20-year old Honda Civic for an annual state inspection. A guy in the shop where I usually do it said that Civic will not pass the inspection because the headlights are cloudy and have to be cleaned from inside. I asked how much it will cost. He said $45 each headlight. I asked if he could do both for $80 and he has grudgingly agreed.

At that time, I thought that I have accomplished something. Later I had afterthoughts that perhaps another shop would charge me $60, or $50, or even less. It's too late to do something about it. But I am curious how much I have overpaid, if any.

Victoria
Or you could've applied $5 worth of toothpaste at home :mrgreen:

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Sometimes asking for a discount esp if it's a service, you'll end up with getting less of the service or a lesser quality. For example, I'm not going to try and knock of twenty bucks for a chimney clean, he might decide to make up for it and I'll never know.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Abe wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 pm
Asking for a discount is one way to save money. There are a lot of other ways to save if you know how. I learned a lot from this book: Secrets of Power Negotiating by Roger Dawson $14.58 on Amazon. :beer
I might get that, but I'm not paying $14.58

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Theseus wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:34 pm
I have a funniest story. In 1998 we had this guy that moved to work for our company from far away. He had sold everything he owned and drove down with just car and cloths. So he ended up going to Walmart to buy a bunch of things. His bill was about $2000. At the checkout counter he simply asked since he is buying so much can he get some discount. The cashier called the store manager. Manager came and gave him 10% off. I still tell this story to my kids, who are so afraid to ask anyone of anything.

If you don't ask there is 100% guarantee that you will not get it. :-)
That's awesome.i think Wally World will take competitors advertised prices, you have to show them the advert. I did that several times, but nobody else seems to do it.

Abe

Post by Abe » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 pm

squirm wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:13 pm
Abe wrote:
Why don't you ask for a discount? :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Abe wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 pm
squirm wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:13 pm
Abe wrote:
Why don't you ask for a discount? :happy
/Thread :beer

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:41 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Cool.

Too bad that tip is buried in a thread about discounts.

Here's an article about it:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Clean-y ... oothpaste/

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 pm

azurekep wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:41 pm
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Cool.

Too bad that tip is buried in a thread about discounts.

Here's an article about it:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Clean-y ... oothpaste/
True, but on the flip side, in today's disposable society how many people drive 20 year old civics? Heck, most marriages don't even last half as long!

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 am

sunny_socal wrote:
I like asking for discounts as well!

Here I will ask:
- Furniture stores

Usually no hope:
- Houses: LOL! (most around here go for asking price or higher, setting a low price is actually a strategy that leads to top dollar)
- Costco (although you may have luck with a floor model appliance that doesn't have box/papers)
- Grocery stores
- Walmart/Target (but floor model items may be good candidates here too)
- Cell phone carriers

Good websites to follow:
- Slickdeals
- Fatwallet
- Ebates
I've gotten discounts from cellphone carriers by asking

It's usually like 5$ off the bill for 3 months
IT-DevOps System Administrator