input needed on this book by Robert T. Kiyosaki in the "Rich Dad" series. Helping a friend.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Sandtrap

input needed on this book by Robert T. Kiyosaki in the "Rich Dad" series. Helping a friend.

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 pm

I have a retired neighbor who is head over heels over this book after attending a free financial investment seminar with his DW.
He and his wife can't stop talking about it. Apparently the helpful advisors at the free seminar are also offering other material and also programs for various levels of financial advice at various prices.
I have passed on the Bogleheads website as well as books by Bogle and Swedroe but I think they will gather dust.
Anyway.

Book:
Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in, That the Poor and the Middle Class Do Not!
By Robert T. Kiyosaki

About the Author
"Robert Kiyosaki has challenged and changed the way tens of millions of people around the world think about money. With perspectives that often contradict conventional wisdom, Robert has earned a reputation for straight talk, irreverence and courage. He is regarded worldwide as a passionate advocate for financial education."

Kiyosaki seems to prosper from a lot of books and seminars, as well as spinoff endeavors. (my observation)
Is his approach to financial prosperity legitimate?

Please share your thoughts so others can learn whether or not to take this book or Kiyosaki's approach seriously.
Thank you
j
Shared experiences to benefit all -- not an exspurt -- per forum guidelines :) Golf score allocation 50/50 swings vs putts.

stemikger

Re: input needed on this book by Robert T. Kiyosaki in the "Rich Dad" series. Helping a friend.

Post by stemikger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 pm

Do they want your advice? If not, you may have to watch them make this mistake. You can pass these videos on to them.

Good Luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6nT0oyPt8&t=87s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6feHB0AE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iimvyVCEGA
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

AlohaJoe

Re: input needed on this book by Robert T. Kiyosaki in the "Rich Dad" series. Helping a friend.

Post by AlohaJoe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:35 pm

I think John T Reed is the usual place to start when considering Robert Kiyosaki's works. Here's one example: https://johntreed.com/blogs/john-t-reed ... dad-part-1 but he's written a lot more.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:47 pm

I'd read his books rather than buy the mentoring program.
Yes, I did attend the introductory seminar. I did not buy the program. I had other fish.
Yes we do own rentals and property.
Yes I also do options on occasion (another seminar).
Yes, financial education is important.
I am the risk taker in our family. I found my own path. RK's theory of IMO is basically valid.
IMO, its almost too late to get good property for rentals.
YMMV
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:02 pm

OP:
Thanks everyone for your kind help.
I have forwarded the links to my neighbor and his DW.
The rest is up to their discretion. :shock:
Thanks again,
j :D
Shared experiences to benefit all -- not an exspurt -- per forum guidelines :) Golf score allocation 50/50 swings vs putts.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:12 pm

Everything that's old in new again.

I made this same mistake after reading the book by Charles Givens. Then attending the free seminar, and buying the hawked products. Some people just can not learn but in the school of hard knocks.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_J._Givens

Your friends would be much better off by coming here and reading a few of the BH-recommended books. Then asking for a portfolio review.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 pm

What Robert Kiyosaki teaches is valid. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] Thats business. If you are dealing with thousands or potentially millions of people in business, you cannot or should you be expected to keep everyone happy all the time.

Wake up. Its 2017. You do not need to pay money for a seminar or course to be wealthy. I have already learned the real estate game through the internet, mentors, and books (all were free) long before I read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" a few months ago. Real estate is THE vehicle to wealth that makes intuitive sense to me. Buying stocks or starting the next Uber are not viable options.

One thing that Kiyosaki conceptualizes which I take to heart is if you think like everyone else, and do what everyone else does, you will get what everyone else gets (ie. a work a day job for corporations who couldn't care less about you or your well being, until age 65 or 70, and maybe get rich when you are too old to enjoy it.
One day it suddenly dawned on me that I had won the real estate lottery.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:06 pm

WanderingDoc wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 pm
What Robert Kiyosaki teaches is valid. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] Thats business. If you are dealing with thousands or potentially millions of people in business, you cannot or should you be expected to keep everyone happy all the time.

Wake up. Its 2017. You do not need to pay money for a seminar or course to be wealthy. I have already learned the real estate game through the internet, mentors, and books (all were free) long before I read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" a few months ago. Real estate is THE vehicle to wealth that makes intuitive sense to me. Buying stocks or starting the next Uber are not viable options.

One thing that Kiyosaki conceptualizes which I take to heart is if you think like everyone else, and do what everyone else does, you will get what everyone else gets (ie. a work a day job for corporations who couldn't care less about you or your well being, until age 65 or 70, and maybe get rich when you are too old to enjoy it.
Absolutely true if done correctly, prudently, and with a bit of grit and a bit of luck. :D
Not the only path, but certainly a viable one.