30,000 in Checking Account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
User avatar
Uncle Pennybags
Posts: 1828
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 am

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:56 pm
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:33 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 pm
I work for the state and their plan is terrible, so not interested 4% rate of return is what I get
The plan must have a total stock and bond index fund. As for your state pension if you worked for NJ you would know not to count on it.
No it does not have any of that, just a fixed 4% return. People are wondering if KPERS will be around when I get older as well. The state of Kansas has been taking money out of it for other uses
What about KPERS 457? That has Vanguard's S&P 500 fund among many others.

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:56 pm
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:33 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 pm
I work for the state and their plan is terrible, so not interested 4% rate of return is what I get
The plan must have a total stock and bond index fund. As for your state pension if you worked for NJ you would know not to count on it.
No it does not have any of that, just a fixed 4% return. People are wondering if KPERS will be around when I get older as well. The state of Kansas has been taking money out of it for other uses
What about KPERS 457? That has Vanguard's S&P 500 fund among many others.
Yep that is what I plan on going with right now

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:15 pm

A little update..

I opened up and put my emergency fund into CIT Bank for the $100 bonus and 1.35% APY

I opened up a Vanguard Roth IRA and put in 5,500 in the 2050 Target Retirement Fund

Now I am looking into increasing the amount I contribute to my HSA instead of opening up the KPERS 457. HSA has better tax advantages as it goes in tax free and can take out tax free for medical expenses or for anything after I'm 65, is this correct?
Just want to make sure my next step should be the HSA instead of KPERS 457 or a brokerage account

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Another question would be is what should I invest in my HSA? I have Optum so can do a number of Vanguard funds:

500
TSM
Wellington
The 3 Life Strategy Funds

Also have the option of Schwab Target Funds

jcerickson
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:08 am

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by jcerickson » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:32 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:15 pm
Now I am looking into increasing the amount I contribute to my HSA instead of opening up the KPERS 457. HSA has better tax advantages as it goes in tax free and can take out tax free for medical expenses or for anything after I'm 65, is this correct?
Just want to make sure my next step should be the HSA instead of KPERS 457 or a brokerage account
If you are contributing to your HSA through a payroll deduction, it is pre-tax (tax-free). Withdrawals from your HSA for qualifying medical expenses are always tax-free. After age 65, any non-medical withdrawals are subject to income tax similar to a tIRA.

I have an Optum HSA, also, and currently invest in the Wellington Admiral fund after I meet the $2,000 cash minimum our plan requires. But I'm 56, so that matches my AA. :happy

aristotelian
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by aristotelian » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:44 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 am
lostdog wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:43 pm
Make sure you're maxing your 401(k).
May not be a good suggestion. If the OP's tax rate is low, contribute enough to get the match and put the rest in taxable.
His income would have to be really low for that to be the case but I doubt that is true with 30k sitting around.

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:48 am

jcerickson wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:32 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:15 pm
Now I am looking into increasing the amount I contribute to my HSA instead of opening up the KPERS 457. HSA has better tax advantages as it goes in tax free and can take out tax free for medical expenses or for anything after I'm 65, is this correct?
Just want to make sure my next step should be the HSA instead of KPERS 457 or a brokerage account
If you are contributing to your HSA through a payroll deduction, it is pre-tax (tax-free). Withdrawals from your HSA for qualifying medical expenses are always tax-free. After age 65, any non-medical withdrawals are subject to income tax similar to a tIRA.

I have an Optum HSA, also, and currently invest in the Wellington Admiral fund after I meet the $2,000 cash minimum our plan requires. But I'm 56, so that matches my AA. :happy
Great to hear! Do you use your HSA as an investment account and pay for medical expenses out of your own pocket?

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:51 am

aristotelian wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:44 pm
TravelforFun wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 am
lostdog wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:43 pm
Make sure you're maxing your 401(k).
May not be a good suggestion. If the OP's tax rate is low, contribute enough to get the match and put the rest in taxable.
His income would have to be really low for that to be the case but I doubt that is true with 30k sitting around.
My income is actually low, I am in the 15% tax bracket. I am just frugal and a saver. It's not how much you make, it's how much you spend!

Mr.BB
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by Mr.BB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:41 am

GridironGems wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:44 pm
Instead of putting money into VTI, VXUS, and BND as 3 separate things, what do you think about the Life Strategy Funds (there are 4 of them), Wellington, or Wellesley?

VTI, VXUS, and BND fees would total .2%. Life Strategy Funds are .12%-.15% fees. So I would save a small portion on fees and if I wanted to re-balance I could transfer the money to a different Life Strategy Fund or Wellington or Wellesley

Maybe I am just overthinking things...

Also I spoke with a friend last night whom is an financial advisor and he uses American Funds and said American Funds target retirement funds outperform Vanguards. They do have higher fees, but just another thought. Again I may just be overthinking everything..
Is he comparing Apples to Apples? Also, does this calculation include expense ratios in his bottom line? what's the bottom line number?
FYI .... No one fund company has all the best funds.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

jcerickson
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:08 am

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by jcerickson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:44 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:48 am
jcerickson wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:32 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:15 pm
Now I am looking into increasing the amount I contribute to my HSA instead of opening up the KPERS 457. HSA has better tax advantages as it goes in tax free and can take out tax free for medical expenses or for anything after I'm 65, is this correct?
Just want to make sure my next step should be the HSA instead of KPERS 457 or a brokerage account
If you are contributing to your HSA through a payroll deduction, it is pre-tax (tax-free). Withdrawals from your HSA for qualifying medical expenses are always tax-free. After age 65, any non-medical withdrawals are subject to income tax similar to a tIRA.

I have an Optum HSA, also, and currently invest in the Wellington Admiral fund after I meet the $2,000 cash minimum our plan requires. But I'm 56, so that matches my AA. :happy
Great to hear! Do you use your HSA as an investment account and pay for medical expenses out of your own pocket?
I originally used the HSA to pay for ongoing medical costs, which are minor for me, but have switched to paying those costs out-of-pocket and using the HSA mainly as in investment account.

gougou
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by gougou » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:51 pm

I think with around $30K available your best strategy is to open checking/saving accounts for the opening bonuses. For example, I just received an HSBC mail offer with $350 bonus if I open with $10K initial deposit. I know Chase, Citi and many smaller banks constantly have such offers. You can probably earn $2K to $3K per year doing this and it's risk free.

User avatar
gloss151
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis, USA

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by gloss151 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:16 am

Baxter credit union has power plus checking, which gives me 2% on up to 20k. Atm fees get subtracted from that 2%, if u use a fee atm. We just max that out and put everything extra in the taxable. 20k is > 6mo of spending for us since we have no debt and rent out the other half of our duplex.

I can't stand letting cash sit around loosing value to inflation. At 2% we only loose a little to inflation, depending on the year.
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. -Thoreau

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:02 pm

I have my HSA now setup to contribute to the max for 2017. Still need to figure out what to invest my HSA in however, so any suggestions are welcome!

I'm getting everything all lined up finally, and it feels good!

Emergency in savings. Check
Max out Roth. Check
Max out HSA. Check

Only other retirement option left for me now is the KPERS 457 plan. I don't know if I want to start that up or not yet. Since I do not make very much, this all could catch up to me pretty quick. So I am considering going with a Vanguard Brokerage account and putting 60% into VTI and 40% into VXUS by dollar cost averaging a 100 a month or so. I do not want to make all my 30,000 disappear so quick is my fear I guess

tesuzuki2002
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:41 pm

look for a high interest checking account. I hold 3 so I can keep $35K in cash earning 4%. If you're planning to do the roth just make that investment and get it in there.

User avatar
Uncle Pennybags
Posts: 1828
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 am

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:56 am

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:41 pm
look for a high interest checking account. I hold 3 so I can keep $35K in cash earning 4%. If you're planning to do the roth just make that investment and get it in there.
How many things a month do you have to do to get 4% in and FDIC insured account. With three accounts I would guess about 60.

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Well I ran into a road block now. My HSA is with Optum, but then when I went to open up my investment account it brought me to a different site with US Bank. So I guess I have to use their mutual funds instead of Optum's. I do not like the choices and the expenses of them compared to Optum's.

COLUMBIA LARGE CAP INDEX FUND (A) NEIAX has the lowest ER at 0.45

All of the ER range from 0.45 to 1.58

For those of you with a US Bank HSA, which one do you use?

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 pm

I get employer and health quest contributions into my HSA, does this keep me from being able to transfer my HSA investment money to another company? I don't know if I want to use my HSA as in investment account if I have those poor US Bank options and can't invest elsewhere

User avatar
FiveK
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by FiveK » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:16 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 pm
I get employer and health quest contributions into my HSA, does this keep me from being able to transfer my HSA investment money to another company? I don't know if I want to use my HSA as in investment account if I have those poor US Bank options and can't invest elsewhere
You might find How To Rollover an HSA On Your Own and Avoid Trustee Transfer Fee helpful.

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 pm

FiveK wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:16 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 pm
I get employer and health quest contributions into my HSA, does this keep me from being able to transfer my HSA investment money to another company? I don't know if I want to use my HSA as in investment account if I have those poor US Bank options and can't invest elsewhere
You might find How To Rollover an HSA On Your Own and Avoid Trustee Transfer Fee helpful.
Thanks for the link. Only question would be this:

1. I logged on to the website of my employer’s HSA provider. I requested a transfer of the entire balance to my personal checking account. This does not close the account. If you don’t want this account any more, you can call and close the account after the rollover is done.

If you get it sent to your personal checking account, you do not have to pay any withdrawal fees?

User avatar
FiveK
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by FiveK » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:32 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 pm
If you get it sent to your personal checking account, you do not have to pay any withdrawal fees?
That was step 1. Step 2 is important:
"2. I mailed a personal check together with a rollover contribution form to my preferred HSA provider. Ask the receiving HSA provider for the rollover contribution form if you can’t find it on its website."

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm

We had a health insurance meeting at work today, and I asked the lady speaking about this problem. All she told me was that since it was with the state (I work for Kansas State University, so state of Kansas), it had to stay there and couldn't be moved.

I'm still going to try to find a way around this, but if I can't is the Columbia Large Cap Index Fund (A) NEIAX with ER at 0.45 worth it?

tesuzuki2002
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:56 am
tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:41 pm
look for a high interest checking account. I hold 3 so I can keep $35K in cash earning 4%. If you're planning to do the roth just make that investment and get it in there.
How many things a month do you have to do to get 4% in and FDIC insured account. With three accounts I would guess about 60.
Yes around that mark. I have a couple of things I do and for the most part I do have to sit down for about 20 minutes once a month to get it all worked out.

User avatar
FiveK
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by FiveK » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm
We had a health insurance meeting at work today, and I asked the lady speaking about this problem. All she told me was that since it was with the state (I work for Kansas State University, so state of Kansas), it had to stay there and couldn't be moved.
You could ask her to explain why (f)(5) in 26 U.S. Code § 223 - Health savings accounts doesn't apply. I.e., where it says (in so many words) that once a year you may roll over an amount from one HSA to another.

Or don't bother asking her - just do it.

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 pm

FiveK wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm
We had a health insurance meeting at work today, and I asked the lady speaking about this problem. All she told me was that since it was with the state (I work for Kansas State University, so state of Kansas), it had to stay there and couldn't be moved.
You could ask her to explain why (f)(5) in 26 U.S. Code § 223 - Health savings accounts doesn't apply. I.e., where it says (in so many words) that once a year you may roll over an amount from one HSA to another.

Or don't bother asking her - just do it.
I finally spoke with someone from Optum who knew what they were talking about. I got e-mailed a form for the rollover to Optum Bank, which can be done once a year. I will get mailed a check and have 60 days to fund Optum Bank HSA. I assume you all agree I'm doing the right thing by getting into Vanguard choice funds with .04 ER compared to .45 correct?

spammagnet
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by spammagnet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 pm
...Tax Rate: xx% Federal, xx% State (Not sure)
State of Residence: Kansas
Look up your annual salary in the IRS tables linked below to find your marginal federal tax rate.
taxfoundation.org - 2017-tax-brackets

Do the same here for your state tax rates
ksrevenue.org - tax rates

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:22 pm

spammagnet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 pm
...Tax Rate: xx% Federal, xx% State (Not sure)
State of Residence: Kansas
Look up your annual salary in the IRS tables linked below to find your marginal federal tax rate.
taxfoundation.org - 2017-tax-brackets

Do the same here for your state tax rates
ksrevenue.org - tax rates
15% Federal

4.9% State

User avatar
FiveK
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by FiveK » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 pm
I assume you all agree I'm doing the right thing by getting into Vanguard choice funds with .04 ER compared to .45 correct?
That is a very safe assumption. :happy

spammagnet
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by spammagnet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:34 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:22 pm
15% Federal
4.9% State
That information will influence investment advice by others. Perhaps it was already revealed in other responses. I didn't see it.

User avatar
FiveK
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by FiveK » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:35 pm

spammagnet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm
Look up your annual salary in the IRS tables linked below to find your marginal federal tax rate.
taxfoundation.org - 2017-tax-brackets
Note that a tax bracket is not necessarily the same as a marginal tax rate.

spammagnet
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by spammagnet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:47 pm

FiveK wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:35 pm
spammagnet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm
Look up your annual salary in the IRS tables linked below to find your marginal federal tax rate.
taxfoundation.org - 2017-tax-brackets
Note that a tax bracket is not necessarily the same as a marginal tax rate.
The description of the link is from the Tax Foundation page title. My suggestion was for the OP to use that source to determine the marginal tax rate, which the OP did.

Code: Select all

Table 1. Single Taxable Income Tax Brackets and Rates, 2017
Rate	Taxable Income Bracket	Tax Owed
10%	$0 to $9,325		10% of Taxable Income
15%	$9,325 to $37,950	$932.50 plus 15% of the excess over $9325
25%	$37,950 to $91,900	$5,226.25 plus 25% of the excess over $37,950
28%	$91,900 to $191,650	$18,713.75 plus 28% of the excess over $91,900
33%	$191,650 to $416,700	$46,643.75 plus 33% of the excess over $191,650
35%	$416,700 to $418,400	$120,910.25 plus 35% of the excess over $416,700
39.60%	$418,400+		$121,505.25 plus 39.6% of the excess over $418,400

User avatar
FiveK
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by FiveK » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:43 pm

spammagnet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:47 pm
FiveK wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:35 pm
spammagnet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm
Look up your annual salary in the IRS tables linked below to find your marginal federal tax rate.
taxfoundation.org - 2017-tax-brackets
Note that a tax bracket is not necessarily the same as a marginal tax rate.
The description of the link is from the Tax Foundation page title. My suggestion was for the OP to use that source to determine the marginal tax rate, which the OP did.

Code: Select all

Table 1. Single Taxable Income Tax Brackets and Rates, 2017
Rate	Taxable Income Bracket	Tax Owed
10%	$0 to $9,325		10% of Taxable Income
15%	$9,325 to $37,950	$932.50 plus 15% of the excess over $9325
25%	$37,950 to $91,900	$5,226.25 plus 25% of the excess over $37,950
28%	$91,900 to $191,650	$18,713.75 plus 28% of the excess over $91,900
33%	$191,650 to $416,700	$46,643.75 plus 33% of the excess over $191,650
35%	$416,700 to $418,400	$120,910.25 plus 35% of the excess over $416,700
39.60%	$418,400+		$121,505.25 plus 39.6% of the excess over $418,400
Those percentages refer to the tax brackets. The marginal tax rate is often the same as the individual's tax bracket, but not always, as that link and others such as Taxation of Social Security benefits - Bogleheads explain.

spammagnet
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by spammagnet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:58 pm

FiveK wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:43 pm
Those percentages refer to the tax brackets. The marginal tax rate is often the same as the individual's tax bracket, but not always, as that link and others such as Taxation of Social Security benefits - Bogleheads explain.
I understand your point and stand corrected. As the OP didn't know his bracket, even learning only that is helpful.

User avatar
FiveK
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by FiveK » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:02 pm

spammagnet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:58 pm
As the OP didn't know his bracket, even learning only that is helpful.
Yes indeed. Walk before run. :sharebeer

WanderingDoc
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by WanderingDoc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:59 am

GridironGems wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:51 am
aristotelian wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:44 pm
TravelforFun wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 am
lostdog wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:43 pm
Make sure you're maxing your 401(k).
May not be a good suggestion. If the OP's tax rate is low, contribute enough to get the match and put the rest in taxable.
His income would have to be really low for that to be the case but I doubt that is true with 30k sitting around.
My income is actually low, I am in the 15% tax bracket. I am just frugal and a saver. It's not how much you make, it's how much you spend!
Or, just make enough income that you couldn't spend half even if you tried ;) IMO it takes a lot more brainpower to save $1000 than it takes to learn to make an extra $1000.
One day it suddenly dawned on me that I had won the real estate lottery.

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:50 pm

FiveK wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 pm
I assume you all agree I'm doing the right thing by getting into Vanguard choice funds with .04 ER compared to .45 correct?
That is a very safe assumption. :happy
Haha yes, obviously. I guess what I was trying to get at is it worth the hassle of moving my HSA funds once a year to get a lower ER. One difference may be, I only have to keep 1,000 in my cash account at my current provider Optum, while Optum Bank may be 2,000 minimum in the cash account. Optum Bank might have a monthly fee if you have your cash balance under 3,000 as well

Would the extra 1,000 dollars to invest overcome the ER?

As for the tax brackets, yes at least I have an idea of where I stand there now haha

User avatar
FiveK
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by FiveK » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:35 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:50 pm
One difference may be, I only have to keep 1,000 in my cash account at my current provider Optum, while Optum Bank may be 2,000 minimum in the cash account. Optum Bank might have a monthly fee if you have your cash balance under 3,000 as well

Would the extra 1,000 dollars to invest overcome the ER?
Excellent question, because the answer starts with "it depends...".

As in, "it depends what you would otherwise invest in with that cash, and how those investments would perform."

For a longer take on a similar issue, see Schwab Intelligent Portfolios: The True Cost of A Cash Drag.

GridironGems
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Re: 30,000 in Checking Account

Post by GridironGems » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:04 pm

FiveK wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:35 pm
GridironGems wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:50 pm
One difference may be, I only have to keep 1,000 in my cash account at my current provider Optum, while Optum Bank may be 2,000 minimum in the cash account. Optum Bank might have a monthly fee if you have your cash balance under 3,000 as well

Would the extra 1,000 dollars to invest overcome the ER?
Excellent question, because the answer starts with "it depends...".

As in, "it depends what you would otherwise invest in with that cash, and how those investments would perform."

For a longer take on a similar issue, see Schwab Intelligent Portfolios: The True Cost of A Cash Drag.
Good article, thanks.

I called Optum Bank today and they do require you to keep 2,000 in the cash account. If you have under 3,000 in cash, there is a 2.75 monthly fee. So if I moved my HSA money to Optum Bank, I'd have to keep 2,000 in cash and pay 2.75 a month. While if I kept at Optum, I only have to keep 1,000 in cash and would save 2.75 a month.

I think I'll look around at other HSA's to see if they allow less than 2,000 in cash account and no monthly fee

Post Reply