Do you want your receipt?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
zkzkzk

Re: Do you want your receipt?

Post by zkzkzk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:56 pm

investorpeter wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:22 pm
Seems like I am asked this question whenever I make small puchases with my credit card, like coffee at Starbucks, and it always causes me to pause and think for a moment about the best answer. I usually say no, but I always have a millisecond of doubt in my mind whether I should have kept it for some reason. Perhaps I'm afraid that somehow the receipt will have my credit card number on it and will be used for fraudulent transactions, though I know the receipts do not have the CC number on them. The cashier usually just throws it away immediately if I say no. If i say yes, or if they just hand it to me, I usually just crumple it into the deepest recess of my front pocket only to be found by my wife when she does the laundry (or if I'm doing the laundry, it will not be found until the next time I wear those pants and find a little ball of paper at the bottom of my pocket). What do Bogleheads do? Is there a reason to keep the receipt, assuming its not an item that you would ever return, or use for tax deduction / reimbursement?
I always take it mostly for record keeping/checking purposes, but there are sometimes good coupons printed on the back of some receipts. I regularly get codes for free cookies from Subway. BOGO offers come up quite often at other eateries.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:02 pm

I read an article recently that said that workers at a fast food chain were trained to be extra careful with orders when someone asked for a receipt. The reason is that there are "secret shoppers" that will occasionally buy food there and report their experience. The "secret shoppers" will always ask for a receipt to get reimbursed for the purchase.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:27 pm

investorpeter wrote:
Seems like I am asked this question whenever I make small puchases with my credit card, like coffee at Starbucks, and it always causes me to pause and think for a moment about the best answer. I usually say no, but I always have a millisecond of doubt in my mind whether I should have kept it for some reason. Perhaps I'm afraid that somehow the receipt will have my credit card number on it and will be used for fraudulent transactions, though I know the receipts do not have the CC number on them. The cashier usually just throws it away immediately if I say no. If i say yes, or if they just hand it to me, I usually just crumple it into the deepest recess of my front pocket only to be found by my wife when she does the laundry (or if I'm doing the laundry, it will not be found until the next time I wear those pants and find a little ball of paper at the bottom of my pocket). What do Bogleheads do? Is there a reason to keep the receipt, assuming its not an item that you would ever return, or use for tax deduction / reimbursement?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=221684

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=221135

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Jake James - my former neighbor and ex-....well let me just say that Jake said - always get a receipt. So you can prove where you were if someone official comes asking. I always get a receipt.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:54 pm

I always say yes and then usually toss it unless business expense and even then sometimes as I have a record of it on credit card statement anyway. At the gas pump I also always select 'yes' when queried about wanting a receipt.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

GTBuzz

Post by GTBuzz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:00 pm

I do only when the cashier uses a separate mini-terminal in which they have to manually type in the charge amount. It just takes an extra button press or a fat finger for you to get charged 10 times what you are supposed to. In those cases, I just check that the receipt prints the correct amount and then toss it.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 pm

I curious if those of you who save receipts also print them at the gas pump.

As for me, I save receipts for things that are "receipt worthy" - items I may need to return, gifts the recipient might want to return, service work on home/car/etc, and items I deem expensive but if I buy a coke and a Snickers and insert my card into the chip reader - no... I don't get a receipt.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:21 pm

I take receipts for tax deduction purposes.

I can scan and verify every purchase on a credit card statement without the receipt, though.

It would be unusual for a credit card receipt to have your card number on them. Sometimes they have the last 4 numbers.

JT

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:40 pm

No receipt for me. It’s a waste of resources. Paper comes from somewhere. No point to in recycling it if I can get them to not print it out.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:26 pm

I don't take the receipt because I see the charges immediately on the screen before I pay as the item is being scanned. I check my mint account on my phone app immediately soon after to confirm the charges. Most of the time what I pay real time will show on mint account a few minutes later. In a few instances, I wanna check the charges being rung up correctly (if I buy many many items on sale), I will get the receipt to confirm I get the sale price.

If you work retail big box store you know you can always go back and request a transaction log and reprint the receipt, they have camera on every register to check your transaction. It takes less than 15 mins for the store manager if they found a discrepancy to do this and refund the mistake. It never happen to me since I always know the ballpark of total charge before hand but it happenned rarely to some customer before (double scan an item and no receipt, etc).

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:32 am

I take the receipt when a tip is/maybe involved.

Just to thwart the possibility of someone adding or changing the tip I put on the charge slip. This did happen once to us.

Then I throw them out at home.

I do keep the receipt if it is a tax item, or for large purchases.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:16 am

I always say no or throw it away immediately unless it is a large amount of something I want to keep for warranty. I review all charges in quicken weekly for reasonableness.

This year because of some home improvements would have been a good year to save all receipts for sales tax deduction purposes. I’m toying with the idea of estimating my sales tax from my quicken purchases and claiming that. I did that one time years ago. Obviously in the unlikely event of an audit I would lose that argument since I don’t have the actual receipts.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:55 am

This has been an enlightening thread. I always take the receipt and am annoyed when the cashier asks, thinking to myself "OF COURSE I want my receipt! How else am I going to prove to the security guard that I paid for this, how else am I going to spot it when the waiter adds $10 to his tip (that happened to me recently, by the way, and I caught it thanks to the receipt), and how else am I going to reconcile all my credit card expenses at the end of the month?" Even more annoying is when they don't even ask, forcing me to affirmatively request it.

So, it's been useful to see how many of you don't, and for what reasons. Thanks!

aude

Post by aude » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 am

There are a few receipts that I always get:

Gas station: If you get a bad tank of gas it can cost thousands to fix so keep your receipt for reimbursement or small claims court.

Home improvements: Someday when you sell you may want to prove up your basis for the capital gains exclusion.

Anything tax deductible too!

SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 pm

msk wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 am
AlohaJoe wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:28 pm
zaplunken wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:52 pm
mickeyd wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:35 pm
I always demand a receipt and check them against the monthly statement. How else can you check for fraud accurately?
Exactly! I'm shocked anyone would say no. I guess they just pay whatever the cc statement says or the minimum.
I get an SMS instantly from my bank whenever someone makes a credit card transaction. 99.99% of the time I get the SMS before the server even had a chance to look up from the terminal.

Doesn't every modern bank work this way?
+1
I get both an sms and an email. Works world wide. Perhaps it's just a matter of asking one's bank to activate this free service?
Exactly this. By having either a push / text /email notification for every charge that hits my cards I've been able to stop fraudulent use within minutes (best case) to hours (worst case) after the first (and usually only) attempted use. Since the notifications come in within seconds, I know if I've been incorrectly charged before I even leave the store. In the one case where I've personally had that happen, I was able to sort out the discrepancy immediately with the person that processed my transaction and a manager on duty. No need to make phone calls, follow-up, wait for a review... Sorted out in real time before I even got out to my car.

There may be many reasons to keep receipts, but when it comes to combating fraud it's like bringing a proverbial knife to a gun fight.

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Never. Too many other exciting things to do other than reconcile accounts,

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm so over little pieces of paper and yes that includes photos or scans of little pieces of paper!

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:33 pm

tbradnc wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 pm
I curious if those of you who save receipts also print them at the gas pump.
I am not one of those who save receipts (see my earlier post), but at gas stations I always ask for the receipt... and use it to write down the odometer reading, so I can later add it to my spreadsheet tracking my gas mileage. (and yes, I am sure there's an app for it, too, or I could add it on the phone into my Google Docs spreadsheet)

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:40 pm
That being said, if you do not sign for the purchase (common at grocery stores under a certain amount or fast food restaurants), I do not think you can be held liable for the charge if you contest it --- that's why merchants have you sign for it (and the merchant is supposed to check the credit card receipt with the signature on the back of the card).
In the signature line on the back of my cards I write "Photo ID". Regardless of the dollar value of the purchase or the vendor, possibly one out of a hundred asked to see my driver's license. The credit people make back the loss because of fraud actions by charging those who carry a balance double digit interest fees.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm

S&L1940 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:35 pm
Helo80 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:40 pm
That being said, if you do not sign for the purchase (common at grocery stores under a certain amount or fast food restaurants), I do not think you can be held liable for the charge if you contest it --- that's why merchants have you sign for it (and the merchant is supposed to check the credit card receipt with the signature on the back of the card).
In the signature line on the back of my cards I write "Photo ID". Regardless of the dollar value of the purchase or the vendor, possibly one out of a hundred asked to see my driver's license. The credit people make back the loss because of fraud actions by charging those who carry a balance double digit interest fees.
I've also written "PHOTO ID REQUIRED" where the signature line is.

There seems to be some good "theatre" of turning the card over and seeming to look, and then handing it back with a smile.
And then NOT asking for any ID or anything else at all. Just completing the transaction.

The only place that has actually asked - or seemingly even noticed that "Photo" bit - and this goes back ages ago because most of this is now automated, is at a parking garage under a major department store downtown.
Then, with a long line of cars behind me, for something like a $9 charge (that shows how long ago it was!), they carefully compare my photo ID and name on charge card.

Recently, so much is automated, the customer just swipes or just sticks the chip card end into the machine... anyone could be using the card.
So no one is even pretending to check that the signature is a match to anything at all.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 pm

From responses on this thread, I guess my user name is accurate! Do not keep receipts in order to reconcile them, just scan CC statements for large purchases. Never had a problem as far as I know. :happy

Tim

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:58 pm

investorpeter wrote:
(... if I'm doing the laundry, it will not be found until the next time I wear those pants and find a little ball of paper at the bottom of my pocket). What do Bogleheads do?
I always carefully uncrumple the little ball of paper to see if there is still any writing on it. :confused
Learn economical motion of delivery from a variety of angles, then lengthen the distance gradually. -- Bruce Lee

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:14 pm

No, I don't ask for receipts unless I need reimbursement or it might be important for taxes or warranty coverage.

I do review transactions regularly on Mint so I would notice if a charge were accidentally doubled, drastically wrong, or just plain unauthorized. But I've never caught anything major that the CC company didn't catch faster.

I've been exposed to the chargeback defense process through work and all the onus is on the party who charged the card, not on the cardholder, to prove a contested charge is legit. AMEX is slightly less friendly to the cardholder in this respect than Visa or MC.

simmias

Post by simmias » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:26 pm

S&L1940 wrote:
Why should they ask you for your ID? Just because you wrote it on the card? If I write "Give me $20" on the back, do they have to do it? ;)

Their merchant contract specifies that they have to accept the card.

I guess technically they shouldn't accept your card at all since it isn't signed, and is thus invalid.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:28 pm

investorpeter wrote:
Just say no!

We all have other means of monitoring these things. Don't give it a second thought and spend your time on more meaningful mindshare.
The grand majority of people are totally honest and barring that good controls are in place in most retailers to stop fraudulent charges.

even if you do get pegged the amount would most likely be de minimis.

They probably also do it for corporate responsibility. Less of their litter flying around that falls out of people's doors and pockets...

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:32 pm

simmias wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:26 pm
S&L1940 wrote:
Why should they ask you for your ID? Just because you wrote it on the card? If I write "Give me $20" on the back, do they have to do it? ;)

The point of having that signature is so the clerk can compare the signature on the card with the signature just signed, in hopes of verifying that the purchaser is (or not) the proper owner of the card.
(Otherwise, there's no point in having that signature area on the back of the card.)

So IF the vendor is taking their own precautions, they shouldn't accept a signature that can't be checked, because there's no signature on the back of the card as the "baseline".
Another way to verify the signature is to ask for a photo ID where the name matches the card name PLUS there is a signature... with the added advantage of that photo, which doesn't show on a regular charge card.

And no, they do NOT "have to accept the card", especially if they suspect it isn't being used by the proper person or there is some other sort of fraud suspected, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

simmias

Post by simmias » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:45 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:32 pm
simmias wrote:
S&L1940 wrote:

The point of having that signature is so the clerk can compare the signature on the card with the signature just signed, in hopes of verifying that the purchaser is (or not) the proper owner of the card.
(Otherwise, there's no point in having that signature area on the back of the card.)

So IF the vendor is taking their own precautions, they shouldn't accept a signature that can't be checked, because there's no signature on the back of the card as the "baseline".
Another way to verify the signature is to ask for a photo ID where the name matches the card name PLUS there is a signature... with the added advantage of that photo, which doesn't show on a regular charge card.

And no, they do NOT "have to accept the card", especially if they suspect it isn't being used by the proper person or there is some other sort of fraud suspected, etc.

RM
https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/global/su ... chants.pdf

Alright, you made me look. If someone presents a "See ID" card, here are the steps the merchant is supposed to take, at least according to Visa:
  • Ask for an id with a signature.
  • Have the customer sign the back of the card in front of them and compare the signatures.
  • If the customer refuses, don't accept the card and ask for another one since an unsigned card is invalid and should not be accepted.
This is after their note that writing "See ID" is essentially useless as a crime deterrent.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Back on topic, here's my rant:

I already get email receipts from my bank for any of their ATMs as well as from the local grocery store (tied to credit card after entering email once)

More stores should be offering automatic receipts via email...

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:49 pm

Yes.
I enter every purchase in a spreadsheet (I quit using Quicken) so I can track my expenses.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 pm

S&L1940 wrote:

If you read the terms of Visa (I would imagine others are the same), yeah, you're not supposed to do that. That block is for your signature. The merchant is not supposed to accept the card with just "photo ID" written.

Actually, merchants are supposed to accept the credit card without requiring a photo ID, but I find the store clerks usually are unaware of that. Some of the other issuers are more "merchant's discretion", but Visa, it's against the terms of the merchant agreement with Visa to require a photo ID.

(note: this information is accurate as of at least 2 years ago when I actually read the Visa merchant agreement.)

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm

simmias wrote:

I guess technically they shouldn't accept your card at all since it isn't signed, and is thus invalid.

Correct. A valid signature is expected in the signature block and that is what the merchant goes off of to verify the purchase.... *not* Photo ID.

There has only been ONE merchant whom actually imposes and follows the VISA guidelines when using a credit card.... that of course would be pseudo-government agency the US Postal Service!! I have had them hold up my signature to the card... You got to love the government on that one when they have so many rules and regulations and then to see them actually follow said rules and regulations.
Last edited by Helo80 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 pm

A lot of people do not know what their rights are with a credit card. My Chase Freedom VISA card, I actually had a Customer Service rep (through email) who said a merchant *CAN* require a Photo ID on purchase. (The merchant in question had a cashier whom was very impolite to me about the photo ID, so I ratted out the small business). Then, I pointed out the official Visa merchant agreement and gave the section and page number citing the opposite of what the rep said.... sure enough, she backed down.

https://www.thebalance.com/no-id-requir ... es-3974686
(Should be an interesting read that gives credence to my comments)

I only bring this up because this is a financial forum, and really, all this "fraud" and identity theft stuff... VISA would rather have the market share.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Wow, I'm really surprised at how many of you get receipts. No, I do not want the darn receipt for most things. Gas, lunch, small purchases, no thank you. It will appear in mint which I check pretty much every day.

If it's a big purchase, or something that might have a warranty or that I might want to return, maybe, but I'd rather have it emailed to me in that situation. I really don't need more pieces of paper trash.
Sarah

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 pm

mickeyd wrote:
I always demand a receipt and check them against the monthly statement. How else can you check for fraud accurately?
By checking every time you maybe a purchase in "pending charge" I do this on my chase app. The charge hits within seconds and it takes only a second to check.

I never have to do any reconciling at the end of the month.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:54 pm

mickeyd wrote:

Have you ever had a price discrepancy? I have not... my parents have when a waiter added a few dollars to a tip. I make so few purchases at retail outlets (under 8 a month... if that) that I generally have a good feel and memory if the charge is accurate. Yes, I am exposed to some level of deceit.

But, I think the element you are missing and what would make you feel better is that if you contest a charge with Visa (or whomever), the onus then comes upon the merchant and Visa to prove the charge is accurate ---- That's why these signed receipts come in. When Starbucks or McD's make the decision to not make you sign or only sign above $20, it's because both of them would just cede the charge back to Visa and the cardholder than take employee resources during the CC transaction at the POS and then down the road proving a $2.30 mcmuffin charge.

Really, if you contest a charge, it's not on you to prove it's invalid... also, I think when you contest a charge, the merchant is NOT allowed to contact you directly. The merchant is to speak to Visa and ONLY Visa. It is at this time the merchant is supposed to pull out a drawer and show the dated and signed receipt you made proving the transaction. If the merchant cannot do this for Visa... I am not sure what happens on the backend, but I would not worry about it as a consumer.

As consumers, we have quite a bit more rights with credit cards than most know of --- it's partly why I love Dave Ramsey for getting people out of debt, but do no like his views on credit cards.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:31 am

Helo80 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 pm
S&L1940 wrote:
If you read the terms of Visa (I would imagine others are the same), yeah, you're not supposed to do that. That block is for your signature. The merchant is not supposed to accept the card with just "photo ID" written.
Actually, merchants are supposed to accept the credit card without requiring a photo ID, but I find the store clerks usually are unaware of that. Some of the other issuers are more "merchant's discretion", but Visa, it's against the terms of the merchant agreement with Visa to require a photo ID.
(note: this information is accurate as of at least 2 years ago when I actually read the Visa merchant agreement.)
Have you ever tried to return an item to Costco without a receipt?
Years ago a waiter at a favorite restaurant of ours was fired when he was found out adjusting the tip and final amount to give himself a 'bonus'. We always check receipts against statements!
Just as it is beyond rare for someone to ask for my photo ID, how many times do you see a merchant turning over a card and comparing signatures on the receipt against the signature on a card.
And how often do you scratch your name on a receipt so that your 'signature' bares little resemblance to what is on the back of the credit card?
With the chip cards coming into use and the customer doing the scanning, most times the merchant never touches the card.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 am

Maya1234 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 pm
By checking every time you maybe a purchase in "pending charge" I do this on my chase app. The charge hits within seconds and it takes only a second to check.
My Capital One app gives me a notification whenever a charge is made to my Quicksilver card. It's pretty close to instantaneous, so it's easy for me to verify posted amounts are correct.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 am

I say yes for 2 reasons, cause I log all transactions into my budgeting software and after that I reconcile the balance with my CC. Second, in case something went wrong (eg.: found a bug in my coffee!! Or even find only hot water in my cup!!) :mrgreen:
IDK, but I need something for few hours that prove my rights that I did bought that product, and I am not trying to scam them in case something went wrong.
We have a nearby Wawa locations where they don't even bother to ask the question and assume you don't need the receipt and throw it away! That's when I become a pain in their neck and ask for it :annoyed
Excuse my English, it is my second language! | | "One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:54 pm
mickeyd wrote:

Have you ever had a price discrepancy? I have not... my parents have when a waiter added a few dollars to a tip. I make so few purchases at retail outlets (under 8 a month... if that) that I generally have a good feel and memory if the charge is accurate. Yes, I am exposed to some level of deceit.

But, I think the element you are missing and what would make you feel better is that if you contest a charge with Visa (or whomever), the onus then comes upon the merchant and Visa to prove the charge is accurate ---- That's why these signed receipts come in. When Starbucks or McD's make the decision to not make you sign or only sign above $20, it's because both of them would just cede the charge back to Visa and the cardholder than take employee resources during the CC transaction at the POS and then down the road proving a $2.30 mcmuffin charge.

Really, if you contest a charge, it's not on you to prove it's invalid... also, I think when you contest a charge, the merchant is NOT allowed to contact you directly. The merchant is to speak to Visa and ONLY Visa. It is at this time the merchant is supposed to pull out a drawer and show the dated and signed receipt you made proving the transaction. If the merchant cannot do this for Visa... I am not sure what happens on the backend, but I would not worry about it as a consumer.

As consumers, we have quite a bit more rights with credit cards than most know of --- it's partly why I love Dave Ramsey for getting people out of debt, but do no like his views on credit cards.
Thanks for your insight. I'm sticking with my time-tested fool-proof verification process that takes about 10 minutes/month to accurately perform. I rarely find an error, but when I do...
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:23 pm

S&L1940 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:31 am
Just as it is beyond rare for someone to ask for my photo ID, how many times do you see a merchant turning over a card and comparing signatures on the receipt against the signature on a card.
And how often do you scratch your name on a receipt so that your 'signature' bares little resemblance to what is on the back of the credit card?
With the chip cards coming into use and the customer doing the scanning, most times the merchant never touches the card.

And by writing "Photo ID" in the signature block without a valid signature, you are breaking the terms of service with your credit card issuer.

You are not going to go to jail over it. I have grave doubts whether the whole "Photo ID" thing would actually work. Every time my CC number has been stolen, I merely report the fraudulent charges and get issued a new CC. I guess it's a form of "identity theft", but I am protected by federal law since I still maintain possession of said card I am liable for nothing. (If you lose the CC, you are liable for up to $50, though I have never heard of a CC issuer actually collect that fee.... it's waived in every case I have ever read even if you leave the card on the gas pump)

IMO

Post by IMO » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 am

We charge essentially everything on credit cards (and then pay off each month of course), we ask for a receipt to track for various reasons. Most often it helps when returning something, even though some places like Home Depot can look up the item via your credit card use.

When it comes to the thought of "no hassles" if there is an incorrect credit card charge, personally I've found that not to be the case. Sometimes it has been quite the hassle with the credit card company and the merchant. Guess we've just had bad luck.

All this discussion about the signature block. Many times you don't have to provide a signature for purchases, and even when you do, it's a pretty worthless anti-theft device. I personally think in the "old" days, people actually thought there was somehow a system that was verifying their signature. Mine looks different each time I sign, and can't imagine a checker saying, "hmmm, not sure if that matches what's on the card, I'm going to cancel this transaction." Even then, seems like the fall back would be to ask for an ID to verify that the name on the credit card matched the name on my ID.

It seems like credit card fraud for in store purchases would likely be reduced if it was standard practice to ask for an ID like the post office. So instead of criticizing the post office for having this policy, more power to them. Sure you can get a fake ID, but that takes a great deal of effort for the average person who has obtained someone's stolen credit card (like via the mail). So if one writes, "check ID" with a big sharpie on your credit card, my guess is that while it rarely will be done by a cashier, it could act somewhat as a deterrent for some thief or low life who got your stolen card by some means. The basic problem is that in society, most people seem to feel so inconvenienced to have to show an ID with their credit card purchase. A recent thread I read seemed to make a big issue of a bank asked you for your ID for any transactions....

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:45 am

investorpeter wrote:
If I'm not expensing it through work, and it's not an item I think has the possibility of me wanting to return it for a refund, then I toss the receipt or don't get one.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 am

I don't use my CC very often, maybe 5 times per month, so keeping receipts for those transactions is hardly a burden., And I do make sure they match up with the monthly statement. I have online banking, so I can match it up as the transaction occurs. For online purchases, I print out the emailed receipt myself. Eventually, I will shred the receipts unless they are for tax-deductible items such as medical expenses or charitable donations. Those receipts go to my tax return folders.

For simple, cash purchases which don't involve anything refundable such as lunch at my local pizza joint or a few donuts at the local Dunkin Donuts or some milk at the local bodega, I don't need a receipt.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:04 am

I keep my receipts for items that may be returned and if I leave a tip. All other receipts I don't keep and tell cashier no if asked. I used to track each receipt to the monthly statement for many many years but never found one instance of fraud where I was charged something differently after I left the establishment. The fraud I caught were always charges to stores I never visited.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am

Seems that a lot of you collect receipts for a security blanket. No one will commit small dollar credit card fraud at a starbucks, just about any cc fraud is very easy to recognize on a statement unless you make so many $100+ purchases at best buy or walmart that you can't recognize a fake one. You aren't going to be accused of theft walking out of a store with an item you just paid for.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 am

I never keep receipts other than for large ticket items that I might want to return or require warranty repairs.

Most everything goes through a computer these days and you know what you were charged when you sign the bill.

Could I theoretically be cheated on the tip? An unscrupulous waiter changes a 3 into an 8 or adds a 1 ? Sure. But life is too short to worry about it.

And I do review my credit card statements (at least skimming for any glaring errors), so I don't think I have lost a whole lot of money to that type of fraud over the decades. Certainly a lot less than what the labor would have been worth to collect and review receipts.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:20 am

I don't take a receipt at regular places I do business with such as Costco Gas.

I do for restaurants that I don't regularly frequent to check the tip amount. I know this is unlikely; in all the years I've done this I've had one person add $1 to the tip and I couldn't be bothered to dispute it. In contrast, I'm amazed that more people don't take advantage of my husband's terrible handwriting and adjust the tip in their favor.

I'll only take the receipt at Starbucks if they're busy and I'm concerned I won't get my drink. That's happened.

I take receipts for tax deductible and large ticket items for proof of purchase.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am
Seems that a lot of you collect receipts for a security blanket. No one will commit small dollar credit card fraud at a starbucks, just about any cc fraud is very easy to recognize on a statement unless you make so many $100+ purchases at best buy or walmart that you can't recognize a fake one.
Thieves may make small dollar purchases at first to test if a card is still active or not.
barnaclebob wrote:
You aren't going to be accused of theft walking out of a store with an item you just paid for.
I think it depends on the circumstances. If you're shopping during a slow time and you're not buying any high-dollar items I would agree with you. If however you're shopping at a busy time and you accidentally set off the anti-theft alarm at the door, having a receipt on-hand can save you the hassle of verifying you really did buy that big-screen TV or whatever.

nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:50 am

FedGuy wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:55 am
This has been an enlightening thread. I always take the receipt and am annoyed when the cashier asks, thinking to myself "OF COURSE I want my receipt! How else am I going to prove to the security guard that I paid for this, how else am I going to spot it when the waiter adds $10 to his tip (that happened to me recently, by the way, and I caught it thanks to the receipt), and how else am I going to reconcile all my credit card expenses at the end of the month?" Even more annoying is when they don't even ask, forcing me to affirmatively request it.

So, it's been useful to see how many of you don't, and for what reasons. Thanks!
We had exactly this situation -- a waiter gave himself a much larger tip than we'd marked down. We knew we'd been to that restaurant, but without the receipt, we might not have caught the error.

I always keep my receipts and check them against the statement. Yes, I go to the same places all the time, but...so would any local credit card number thief.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
You aren't going to be accused of theft walking out of a store with an item you just paid for.
I was, actually. A year or two ago, I did my weekly shop at my local supermarket, paid for my items, took my receipt, and walked out. Just outside the exit were a group of tables and chairs. The store security guard was sitting in one of the chairs, saw me with a bunch of groceries, and demanded to see my receipt. I showed it to him, he looked at it skeptically, then handed it back to me with a grunt and turned away.