Join ebates for extra cash back

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunny_socal

Join ebates for extra cash back

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:45 am

I joined 'ebates' a few months ago when shopping for a gift - thanks to a tip from Bogleheads!

https://www.ebates.com/

- There is not cost to join
- The ebates account is linked to Paypal, rewards are deposited automatically.
- A little app/plugin is added to your web browser and remains dormant most of the time
- When you enter a website that has a rebate, a small notification shows the offer. Simply accept it if you want the cash back.
- Typical rewards are 1-2%, but periodically they are much higher. This is in addition to your existing CC rewards!
- Ebay purchases earn rewards as well
- Many, many online vendors included

So far I have earned $85, this is not bad for the tiny amount of effort it has taken. I'll probably get over $100/year with my shopping pattern.

Highly recommended! :beer
Last edited by sunny_socal on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Join ebates for extra cash back

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:49 am

Can you expand on the type of things you bought that earned ebates money? I joined years ago and have bought many thousands of dollars of things on eBay and haven't received a dime. Why? Only selected products qualify. I've found that things I actually "need" never qualify.

I have looked many times at what they offer rebates on and am always disappointed.

I am all about getting free money. Just haven't found anything.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 am

The eBay rebates are for your entire shopping session, not per item.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 am

How does ebates make their money

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 am
I don't shop for fun. So my session is almost only one item. For example: Husqvarna engine rebuild kit: $130. Because I seized the engine and need to rebuild it. I don't need anything else and am not shopping for fun. I got firewood to cut.

Maybe I'm outside of their target market of recreational shoppers?

djheini

Post by djheini » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 am

climber2020 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 am
How does ebates make their money
ebates would be using the various sites' affiliate programs, so when someone uses their link to a site and make a purchase, ebates gets say 3% of the purchase, and then they credit 2% to your account, keeping the difference. Additionally they would keep the interest on balances and whatever balances never get cashed out.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 am
sunny_socal wrote:
I don't shop for fun. So my session is almost only one item. For example: Husqvarna engine rebuild kit: $130. Because I seized the engine and need to rebuild it. I don't need anything else and am not shopping for fun. I got firewood to cut.

I don't shop for fun either. That's not the point.

Any item you buy from ebay will get a discount. (You asked earlier...)

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 pm

We've used ebates for a little over a year and have earned about $40 in rebates when shopping online at sites such as ZenniOptical (eye glasses), Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Jet.com, Land's End. And yes, the ebate is earned on top of any credit card reward. Like the OP, we credit our quarterly ebate reward to our PayPal account, but you can also opt for a paper check by USPS. The app is an unobtrusive button on your browser that activates itself when you shop on an eligible website and asks "Do you want to activate ebate?" Very simple.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 am

"ebates" and "ebay rebates" are not the same thing.. ebates gives straight cash back or you can change it before payout to a gift card with more value. Often the comparison is the same % off you would get on the secondary sites for that giftcard anyhow.

I use ebates -> raise.com for my giftcard ... then ebates -> retailer site to double dip cash back.

There's a referral program also.

These sites make money from advertising kickback from the retailer and they pass on a cut of the cashback. Ebates does not always pay the top %.. I like to use www.cashbackmonitor.com to see who is paying the most and go from there.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Interesting. I guess I'll have to go activate my eBates account and use it before buying stuff. I wonder if I could have received money back when I churned gift cards. I know I bought well over $10k a year of them because I hit the $5k limit on 2 of my eBay accounts. Didn't hit the limit on my 3rd.

Inverted Pyramid

Post by Inverted Pyramid » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 am

Topcashback.com is another great site, on avg they pay double what Ebates does, Also you don't have to wait for the big fat check you can deposit the money once it clears.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:34 am

Inverted Pyramid wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 am
Topcashback.com is another great site, on avg they pay double what Ebates does, Also you don't have to wait for the big fat check you can deposit the money once it clears.
Thanks!

It seems signing up for both is the way to go:
https://www.rather-be-shopping.com/blog ... ck-review/

Inverted Pyramid

Post by Inverted Pyramid » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:40 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:34 am
Inverted Pyramid wrote:
Thanks!

It seems signing up for both is the way to go:
https://www.rather-be-shopping.com/blog ... ck-review/
Agreed. Also add the ebates extension to your browser it lights up when you are on a site with cashback so you don't miss out.
Also look into the airline flyer shopping programs you can earn points thru southwest, american airlines Etc
Many Flyer points expire after 18months, just shop thru a portal and earn 1+ point will keep them active for another 18 months even without flying

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:58 am

I am signed up for at least 5 different cash back sites years ago. I use Mr. Rebates the most. It's great for hotel stays. 3% of a $1,000 Marriott stay is a nice bonus. Plus 1-800-flowers is like 10 or 15%. Lots of nice rebates.

t60

Post by t60 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 pm

I really wish these websites would simply offer low prices to begin with and get rid of these cash back shenanigans.

How I thought it's supposed to work:

User wants to shop, so they go to eBates to see what kind of deals are out there. They find X retailer offering Y cash back so they shop there. X retailer kicks back money to ebates for the referral.

How I see it working today:

User wants to buy something at X retailer. They go to various cash back websites to see who pays out the highest. They use that website to get the order kicked off so they get Y cash back. The cash back site is simply a middleman, and we all know how middlemen get paid..

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:34 pm

t60 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 pm
I really wish these websites would simply offer low prices to begin with and get rid of these cash back shenanigans.

User wants to shop, so they go to eBates to see what kind of deals are out there. They find X retailer offering Y cash back so they shop there. X retailer kicks back money to ebates for the referral.

User wants to buy something at X retailer. They go to various cash back websites to see who pays out the highest. They use that website to get the order kicked off so they get Y cash back. The cash back site is simply a middleman, and we all know how middlemen get paid..
Ebates is transparent once you install the plugin. Just shop as usual and take the cash back. Easy peasy! :beer
There are no shenanigans whatsoever.

(Then again, I'm not chasing the 'best' rebate on everything I buy, I've been quite happy with the ebates offers that show up by default.)

t60

Post by t60 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:34 pm
t60 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Ebates is transparent once you install the plugin. Just shop as usual and take the cash back. Easy peasy! :beer
There are no shenanigans whatsoever.

(Then again, I'm not chasing the 'best' rebate on everything I buy, I've been quite happy with the ebates offers that show up by default.)
Don't get me wrong, I trust Ebates and use them personally. I find the work worthwhile. I just wish cashback in general would go away. Even in the case you describe, if I am shopping on my own at X retailer, why should anyone get a cut of the sale simply because they noticed I was browsing that retailer? (accessing my browser history with a plugin is another story altogether..) X retailer should just let me save a few more bucks than paying the cashback site, who IMO, hasn't really done anything to earn that money.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:14 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:24 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 am
sunny_socal wrote:

That is not correct. Only the categories listed will earn cash back. They never have antiques, coins, or metals listed so I never earn the cash back. You also have to watch that they actually give you the cash back. I realized that they never credited my hotel stays a few months ago, and I just put in requests for about $20 worth of cash back that were not credited from 2 months ago. They always say that they just haven't received the info or whatever they need from the stores I shopped at, which may be true, but it can be time consuming to track down the shipping emails, find the correct shopping trip, and then fill out the forms. I used to use them a lot, but I find myself shopping through my credit card portals more and more.

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Inverted Pyramid wrote:
I like the rates at Topcashback, but...sometimes they don't pay out as promised, and they don't even make much of an effort to track down missing cashback. I'd say I get about 3/4 of the rebates that I expect from TCB. Under the old Fatwallet program, it was pretty much 100%. I didn't activate Ebates when the Fatwallet program was combined with it; are they pretty good about paying out what was promised?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:25 pm

I signed up and put it on my browser maybe 6 months ago. To date I have received about 2 dollars back. I almost always use Amazon if shopping online and have never bought the category giving the rebate.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:49 am
Can you expand on the type of things you bought that earned ebates money? I joined years ago and have bought many thousands of dollars of things on eBay and haven't received a dime. Why? Only selected products qualify. I've found that things I actually "need" never qualify.

I have looked many times at what they offer rebates on and am always disappointed.

I am all about getting free money. Just haven't found anything.
I use them when booking car rentals and hotels... usually get a $20 check every quarter.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:00 pm

I use Ebates whenever the plugin tells me there's a rebate available at the site where I'm shopping....there are lots of participating sites and the rebates can be significant in terms of percentage of purchase (today I purchased something online and got 7%). I've received well over $100 back in a couple of years with very little added effort. I don't have my Ebates account tied to Paypal, they just mail me a check about once per quarter. I'm happy with it!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:49 pm

I installed the Ebates tool over a year ago and have gotten many hundreds of dollars back. Just a few weeks ago I bought some Fiestaware from Macys, which was having a 20% off sale, with an additional 12% cash back from Ebates (that is the highest rate I've ever seen and lasted about a day or two). To me it's a no-brainer if one does a lot of online shopping, as I do.