Lg refrigerator vs Samsung refrigerator.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dottie57

Lg refrigerator vs Samsung refrigerator.

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:02 pm

My refrigerator is running out of steam. I want a black one which will match other appliances in color. Any preferences between LG and Samsung? The refrigerator will be about 21-22 cubic feet or less. Thanks.

TimeRunner

Re: Lg refrigerator vs Samsung refrigerator.

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Due to poor experiences with a Samsung dishwasher and dryer, I'd lean towards LG. (OTOH, Samsung TV has been fine.)

Edit: From other posts, it sounds like a gamble no matter who you select. Our old Kenmore keeps chugging away, but it's rusting pretty badly.
Last edited by TimeRunner on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:29 pm

We are also fridge shopping so I've been doing a ton of research on brands. Samsung and LG are highly rated for reliability. Consumer Reports has an LG model as their too fridge and a Samsung as their #2. Yale Appliance Blog also puts high ratings on both. CNET and reviewed.com also love both brands.

The issue with Samsung and LG is if you do end up with a faulty one. Their repair infrastructure has not kept up with their rising sales. Parts and repairmen can be hard to find. That's why you will see a ton of negative reviews on both brands online. People get really upset and vocal when they can't get their fridge repaired.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Go Blue 99 wrote:The issue with Samsung and LG is if you do end up with a faulty one. Their repair infrastructure has not kept up with their rising sales. Parts and repairmen can be hard to find. That's why you will see a ton of negative reviews on both brands online. People get really upset and vocal when they can't get their fridge repaired.
We have a Sumsung refrigerator and have found this to be true. None of the local independent appliance repair businesses will work on the Samsung. So, we have called Sears or Best Buy. Parts had to be ordered since they were not on the truck. That said, the Best Buy service guy was great and made a special trip once the part he needed arrived a couple of days later.

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 am

I spent $4,600 for an entire suite of LG appliances last summer. The dishwasher did not work out of the box. Didn't realize it didn't work till a week later when we went to run first load of dishes. Home Depot insisted that because we didn't report broken appliance within 48 hours, we had to wait for repair on brand new dishwasher. One month later, we finally had a working dishwasher. There was only one repair company about 2 hours away that worked on LG appliances. Fast forward 11 months and now I am waiting on the same repair company to come and repair my $1,600 LG double oven. One of the thermostats is already broken resulting in burned food. I would not recommend LG, but I think that all appliances these days are junk.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:35 am

I have 2 Kenmore Elite fridges that were manufactured by LG. No problems since I bought them about 5 years ago.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 am

Post by Kosmo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:35 am

I have 2 Kenmore Elite fridges that were manufactured by LG. No problems since I bought them about 5 years ago.
I also have a Kenmore Elite by LG for about 5 years. Zero problems. Even the ice maker works flawlessly. Many people have remarked how much they like ours.

shashi

Post by shashi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 am

I have had all Samsung appliances (fridge, washer and dryer) since 7 years and have not had any issues whatsoever. I am extremely happy with them and buy them again.

Bayoufrogg

Post by Bayoufrogg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:03 am

I have a LG stainless, high end model fridge/freezer. We have had a lot of issues with the unit. There was a settlement that included our model, but they never admitted fault. We missed the settlement payout somehow. They would do nothing for us after the settlement date. Won't do business with them again.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 am

I always suggest calling your local appliance repairman and seeing which one he recommends. In my area it would be Samsung. I have a Kenmore Elite (made by LG) and I only discovered after purchasing that nobody will work on it because in my area, nobody can get LG parts to fix the things. The only way they can fix them is to total them for insurance purposes but then I have to get another one.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:36 am

I have had Samsung appliances for about 6 years.
The range and the refridgerator have been wonderful.....no problems at all.
The dishwasher doesn't seem to clean well, but I hear that is a common complaint with newer
"water saver" appliances. That particular model is prone to electrical issues, but other than having
to occaisionaly reset the breaker, it hasn't been an issue.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:49 am

Pay attention to delivery times and the reliability of the delivery estimate. We bought a Samsung, and had ~3 deliveries cancelled at the last minute ("the unit was damaged" or "it didn't come in on last night's truck"). In between were weeks of "nothing is available." We switched models once, but that didn't seem to help anything.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:12 pm

We have a Samsung French door fridge (double-door/freezer on bottom), mainly because it was the only double-door that was not too tall. Bought through Best Buy.
Overall we have loved it. But a couple months ago it just stopped cooling...
Had a hard time finding someone to come look at it...ended up using our gas company, which has a team of appliance repair people.
Guy came out and he went through the diagnostic codes (of course, he had the super secret manual for the proper button pressing sequence).
He found no problems... and the last thing he (we) did was unplug the fridge and plug it back in.
After he left it started working fine and has since then!
So, basically, he rebooted it to get it working again.
I did not have any kind of warranty or service plan, so it cost me $149 to find that out. Grrr...
Still like the fridge though.

mak17f

Post by mak17f » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 pm

We've had Samsung refrigerators for a while now. Overall, no major issues. My latest Samsung I bought from Costco, which I highly recommend. Prices were slightly cheaper than at Best Buy/Home Depot but they offer extra warranty and delivery was included. Also, one of the doors came in slightly scratched and Costco promptly sent a replacement. Last but not least, I've noticed that my fridge went on sale ( $200 cheaper!) a few weeks after I bought it and I called for a price adjustment. Costco refunded the difference. Overall, great experience with Costco and I'm happy with my new Samsung fridge. I went with a 4 door flex model, where you can reconfigure your freezer. So much more convenient that a large bottom drawer I had before!

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 pm

I have a Samsung french door fridge, 5 years old. No problems, great appliance. I have an LG washer/dryer, no problems, 10 years old. I have an LG plasma tv, 9 years old, no problems. I think both companies are great as long as the product works for 30 days out of the box. Note: credit cards should double your warranty as well (but please double check).

plumberboy

Post by plumberboy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:13 pm

We recently purchased a refrigerator and looked at both Samsung and LG. We chose the LG based on the fact that the LG model we bought has a 10 yr. warranty on the compressor. It also has the ice maker in the door which gives us more space in the main compartment. So far all good.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:32 pm

3.5 years in on a Samsung refrigerator that cost >$3,000 and it's working just fine, no problems whatsoever.

DrakeSRT

Post by DrakeSRT » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Bought all LG Studio appliances 1 1/2 years ago. Perfect so far

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:11 pm

It's unfortunate, but it is reality, that most all our appliances now are made in Asia. So regardless of the nameplate, they're pretty much the same.
We have had a Samsung reefer in this house since new, now 11 years straight, with no issues whatsoever. It wasn't the high end type -- in the $900 range if I recall. Quite pleased with it, though I accept that if it breaks down, it'll be dumpster time for it.

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:15 pm

I had an LG 5 year old large frig die on me just a couple of weeks ago. The compressor died. Here is what I found:

1) LG warranty is poor. Only LG repairmen are allowed to do warranty work. There are very few LG factory authorized repairmen. The wait time for a visit is long, like in weeks long. They are busy people.
2) The LG warranty only covers the replacement part, the labor costs are yours. In my case an estimated $600-800 just for labor and months without a frig.
3) Parts are not readily available. Many times they have to send back to the factory overseas to get a new part. LG does not keep stocks of parts here in the states. If you are unlucky enough to need a part not in the states, it takes weeks to get the part. Then they will schedule an appointment to actually do the repair.

Faced with weeks/months without a frig or freezer was unacceptable. I ended up buying a new Whirlpool frig/freezer on sale. Whirlpool has been independently rated as a top reliable brand. They also have an established repair and parts system that makes it easier and quicker to get serviced than either Samsung or LG. I hope I never need to assess that part of their system.

mobyt

Post by mobyt » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:02 am

We purchased an LG side by side fridge 11 years ago. We have had no problems as far as cooling. The ice access through the door sometimes jams, too much ice falls and gets stuck in the chute. We did have the lunch meat drawer guide rail break, due to over filling. But that was an easy fix. I ordered it from PartSelect and installed it myself. Parts are a bit expensive. One guide rail $17.50 for plastic rail approximately 20 inches long. I replaced both. Overall satisfaction. The fridge is still going strong.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:40 am

I've had a Samsung side by side for 4 years and really like it. My prior two fridges, which were not cheap (KitchenAid and I can't remember the other) both had the same issue. If you set the freezer where it should be (zero), parts of the fridge would freeze items. I had them serviced and was told that is just how it was and the "solution" was to make the freezer warmer. So, the temperature settings were not truly independent.

My Samsung has twin cooling so I am not sure if that is why it seems better at maintaining the freezer/fridge temperatures better.

The Samsung is counter depth and 24 cu ft. which is pretty big for a 36" fridge.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:20 pm

I have a 12 year old double door GE fridge that is running great. Had an issue with the water dispenser after 11 years but was straightforward to fix.

Also had a Kenmore Elite which had a water dispenser issue but that was fixed under warranty and otherwise worked very well.

I would advise not to necessarily buy the cheapest model offered by any brand, and to also get an extended warranty using Costco or credit card perk.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:52 am

Is there a brand or two that is a step up from LG and Samsung that I could consider instead? We moved into our house 3 years ago (was 3 years old at the time) and since then we've had issues with all 3 of our LG kitchen appliances. Dishwasher was almost as expensive to fix as replace (so we bought a Bosch instead that hasn't had an issue), oven had to be serviced a couple of times (with tech telling us they can't keep LG components in stock, which isn't a good sign since demand for repair must be high), and now fridge/freezer is having issues (ice maker and water dispenser not working/malfunctioning, temperature fluctuations, etc). I would be willing to pay a bit more for a more reliable brand, if it exists. Sounds like Samsung isn't the answer either.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:13 am

You didn't say what type of fridge you are looking for (side by side, top/bottom, french door). I looked in Consumer Reports. Among all the categories ( I ignored built ins), these brands appeared as top rated: 3 LGs, 2 Frigidaire Galleries, 3 GEs, 1 Kenmore and 2 Samsungs. It is the Aug 2016 issue.

The newest reliability was in an older issue (July 14). In it, LG and KitchenAid were the worst. The rest of the majors were all pretty close.

It is Consumer Reports, so you can take it with a grain of salt, but I'd give it more weight than anecdotal testimonies.

Refrigerators are generally quite reliable so I would concentrate more on price/features.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:48 am

We purchased a Samsung from Lowe's 3+ years ago. I don't typically purchase extended warranties but because of past problems with icemakers we also purchased a Lowe's 3-year extended protection plan (EPP). The refrigerator developed two problems within the first 3 years and, as others have mentioned, parts were not readily available to fix either one. As a matter of fact, neither the service company nor Lowe's could tell us when parts might be available. My wife spoke with the Lowe's extended warranty department and they agreed that this was unreasonable and agreed to exercise the warranty, refund our total purchase price and also pay us about $250 for spoiled food. Had we not purchased the Lowe's EPP the refrigerator would have been out of warranty and we would have been out of luck.

Just FYI, one of the problems was with the icemaker and the service rep told us that it was a known bad design and that Samsung's 'fix' was also a bad design so even if it was repaired it would fail again.

We purchased a GE to replace the original Samsung in hopes that GE has a better parts warehousing system as well as better engineering. We also purchased another Lowe's EPP.

I wouldn't recommend purchasing a Samsung.

As far as refrigerators being generally very reliable, I'd agree that it used to be the case but I don't believe it's true any longer. I say this due to our experience as well as the experience of others we know and reading lots of online reviews when shopping.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 pm

We still have a Sears Kenmore frig that was purchased in 1982. Think it was made by Whirlpool. It has been moved multiple times throughout the years by a variety of people. For the last 20 years, it has been running in the garage as an extra frig. In the summer the garage can get very hot, well over 100+ degrees. The frig has never missed a beat, never had a problem and works better than the newer ones we have inside the house. Based somewhat on this I have moved to Whirlpool product, i.e., washer and dishwasher, and have had no problems unlike some of the other brands I have had.

ustf

Post by ustf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Have an LG freezer on the bottom model. The compressor failed right outside the standard warranty period. Luckily had a extended warranty through store that allowed compressor to be replaced at no extra cost to us other than food going bad and having to replace it.
The repair person said that that model of LG had a design flaw that caused this problem frequently. The replacement did not. 2 years in after repair and it is humming along fine.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Happy owner of a Kenmore Elite french door refrigerator, manufactured by LG, purchased in 2007. No issues whatsoever in the 10 years I've had it. If I ever need to replace it I will do due diligence on then-current models, but LG will certainly be high on my list.

hdcd

Post by hdcd » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 pm

We had a 7 year old Samsung washer that we really liked but seven years later it broke and the repair guy couldn't get the parts anywhere. He was an independent guy and worked solo so he wasn't trying to sell me something new. He said never that kind of issue with Maytag, Whirlpool, etc so we went back to Maytag washer and are happy.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 pm

As has been discussed on numerous threads on reliability of cars, computers, appliances, etc. getting anecdotal evidence from 20 or 50 people is not real useful. Look at Consumer Reports or JD Powers or sources that compile thousands of data points.

fittan

Post by fittan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:38 am

I have a Samsung side by side that was purchased in 2009. No problem thus far.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 am

My Samsung seems to work well. My gf's LG seems to work well. They both look similar and have similar layouts. So based on a single anecdote, which means nothing really, I would say go for the one with the better price. Or even better check out "Sweethome" and see which frig they recommend. That is what I would do.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am

Another brief and probably not helplful anecdote: We just bought a new counter-depth Samsung French door refrigerator. We love it. The layout is great and somehow it manages to be virtually silent. And I have accepted that we probably will have to replace it in fewer years than we would like.

When we bought our house nine years ago, all appliances were brand new and high end. We have replaced them all except the washing machine (LG) and oven (Dacor). Due to breakdowns, we have replaced: Refrigerator (GE Profile), cooktop (Wolf), dishwasher (twice, GE Profile and Bosch), dryer (LG), and garbage disposal (Insinkerator). For most of the above, we foolishly many spent hundreds of dollars in attempted fixes that either took care of the problems for a few months or didn't take care of them at all. Getting parts and service in a timely manner was a problem for all of the above. The circuit boards controlling the appliances seem especially prone to expensive failure. And based on purely anecdotal evidence, it appears that our failure rate may actually be better than normal.

We have decided to buy appliances with the attitude that they unfortunately are more or less disposable and will need to be replaced often. If we count on a lifespan of five or six years, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. We do buy the appliances on a credit card that adds a year warranty.

I'm not sure why appliances have become so much less durable over the years. Cars, on the other hand, seem much more reliable than in decades past even though they, too, are much more complicated with many circuit boards, etc.

t60

Post by t60 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Throwing another story to the pile..

I have a Samsung fridge, had it for almost a year now. Ever since I bought it, it's made what's best described as "gunshot sounds." They are loud popping noises that have to do with a condenser or something. It's happening less and less as time goes on, but reading reviews online...lots of people have this issue and Samsung refuses to acknowledge it's even a problem. I got so tired of reading about how people got ignored that I decided not to do anything about it. It hasn't annoyed me that much recently, but it definitely still happens.

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:58 pm

t60 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:55 pm

I have a Samsung fridge, had it for almost a year now. Ever since I bought it, it's made what's best described as "gunshot sounds." They are loud popping noises that have to do with a condenser or something. It's happening less and less as time goes on, but reading reviews online...lots of people have this issue and Samsung refuses to acknowledge it's even a problem. I got so tired of reading about how people got ignored that I decided not to do anything about it. It hasn't annoyed me that much recently, but it definitely still happens.
Are you sure it's not the ice maker? Ours did that for a time. It's a four door (two doors and two drawers) and I love everything about it but the noise.
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

t60

Post by t60 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:04 pm

mrc wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:58 pm
t60 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Are you sure it's not the ice maker? Ours did that for a time. It's a four door (two doors and two drawers) and I love everything about it but the noise.
100% sure. It's not just me:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Kit ... td-p/57376

It's gone away for the most part which is in-line with what Samsung mentions. The first few months were annoying as heck, but it's definitely gotten better now. Not sure if I'd buy another Samsung -- I think if I did, I'd buy a warranty (a half-decent one).

Pedro Smada

Post by Pedro Smada » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:42 pm

I too am in the market for a new reefer. It looks to me that there are about 4 manufacturers, the only difference between some of the brands are a few cosmetic and design features. Regardless of the brand, I have found that it is more important to buy from a local dealer that services what they sell. We have purchased all of our appliances in the past 30 years from the same local business that has been in business for 50+ years. Their prices are as good if not better than all of the big box stores. Yes, we have had issues with various appliances, but the local store has always stood behind what they sold. The big boxes just pass off your service to a contractor that has little or no accountability.