Buying nightguards (teeth grinding)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tamarind

Re: Buying nightguards (teeth grinding)

Post by Tamarind » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 am

dbr wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:20 pm
captpete wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 pm
I use one that I got from walmart for sports it's just a mouth piece that you put in hot water then fit it to your mouth. They cost $2.00 and last 5 years. You'll grind though it eventually but it will take a while.
Right, that is the kind of device I would never be able to wear through a night. There wouldn't be any grinding because I would never be asleep. Eventually I will need to invest the money to find out if the dentist made one actually works.
I can only seldom sleep wearing the dentist-made one either. My dentist also grinds her teeth and says it took her months to learn to sleep with hers in. I'd encourage other grinders to try a wide array of cheaper ones first. If you can sleep with most of the harder thermoplastic ones, then go to the dentist and spend the money.

One tip: my dentist offers free fit adjustments to night guards that she made. Yours might do the same. Really handy if your teeth shift and cause a fitted guard to pinch.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm

I recently started wearing mine more. Dentist made. At first I found it uncomfortable but now I’m used to it. It does seem to cut down on some of the gum pain I was having. My wife uses one too. Also they seem to somewhat mute snoring oddly enough for both of us.

furikake

Post by furikake » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:23 pm

If you're getting one from your dentist, make sure you do NOT get one that's called NTI. A bad dentist a few years ago told me I needed one and sold me one, and I wore that for like 6-8 months, and my front teeth no longer touched. I went to another dentist, she told me to stop NTI right away, she had another patient who wore it for years and only his back 2 molars could touch, no other teeth could touch anymore. He went to an orthodontist, and that ortho said it would cost $6k, 3 years in braces, and he might still need jaw surgery to correct the problem.

Not only that NTI created an open bite problem for me, my teeth no longer aligned, and I also started having jaw cramping problem. Since I stopped wearing the NTI, my teeth moved back some, but not all the way, my bite was still very wrong. I went to an orthodontist and now I'm in Invisalign. Not fun. Don't make the same mistake I did by trusting that crappy dentist with the NTI night guard!