What specific changes have you made post-Equifax?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Yukon

Re: What specific changes have you made post-Equifax?

Post by Yukon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 pm

tetractys wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:40 pm
Yukon wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm
tetractys wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:49 am
letsgobobby wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:31 am
tetractys wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:16 am
Totally unconcerned. — Tet

We should be steady with our prudent actions and awake; but not surprised.

Be happy. — Tet
So what prudent actions would you suggest?
Ha ha ha. Just the usual ones that have been around for awhile now. They’ve been mentioned above, have they not? — Tet
Sure. My credit has been frozen and I've used double factor authentication for several years. But to me, the stakes have changed a bit. Now people have the data necessary to reset my pin to unfreeze my credit file so THAT seems to be a bit more concerning. I'm just a bit surprised some have the fortitude to be unconcerned about the (new) lifetime risk. Or to realize my heightened concern is unfounded :)
Don't Work Forever.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Yukon wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 pm
tetractys wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:40 pm
Yukon wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm
tetractys wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:49 am
letsgobobby wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:31 am

So what prudent actions would you suggest?
Ha ha ha. Just the usual ones that have been around for awhile now. They’ve been mentioned above, have they not? — Tet
Sure. My credit has been frozen and I've used double factor authentication for several years. But to me, the stakes have changed a bit. Now people have the data necessary to reset my pin to unfreeze my credit file so THAT seems to be a bit more concerning. I'm just a bit surprised some have the fortitude to be unconcerned about the (new) lifetime risk. Or to realize my heightened concern is unfounded :)
Well, I wouldn’t recommend the final ultimate option. Just try to relax; eat something with ketchup. — Tet

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:36 am

Something else to consider, which I had already done for the two of us, is to set up a My Social Security account before freezing your Equifax. With the information now available to crooks, it is conceivable they could file for your Social Security benefits when you become eligible at age 62. If you were not planning to file until full retirement age or later, it could be years before you realized fraud had occurred. A My SS account helps you monitor for this.