Social Security Card - Should I get a Replacement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
MikeG62

Social Security Card - Should I get a Replacement

Post by MikeG62 »

I no longer have my SS card (it went missing decades ago). I don't think I've ever had to produce it other than for my first job while in high school back in the 1970's.

I have been wondering whether I should go down to the SS office and fill out an application for a new card.

However, after looking at all the information that needs to go on the form (including information like my parents names at birth among other personal details) I am not sure it is worth applying for. After all, what if this form ends up in the wrong hands?

Plus, it seems to me that all I am going to get is a piece of paper (card) with an important # on it, which I then have to worry about securing so it does not end up getting into the wrong persons hands.

So here is the question If you could not find your SS card, would you apply for a replacement?

I am aware of this older thread on SS cards, but did not see my situation addressed so I decided to start a new thread

viewtopic.php?t=133821
Last edited by MikeG62 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
MP123

Re: Social Security Card - Should I get a Replacement

Post by MP123 »

I get asked for the number regularly but like you haven't seen the actual card since the 70s.

I've never been asked for the card either. As I recall it was just a blue slip of cardboard, not exactly secure or anything.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

No.
Just remember your SS #...
Attempted new signature...
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Interesting. I had to show my SS card along with a government-issued photo ID on the first day of every job I ever held.

That's why I replaced my SS card when it was accidentally damaged. The form you fill out to replace the card is not a big deal. Look, they already know everything about you!
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

HueyLD wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:35 pm Interesting. I had to show my SS card along with a government-issued photo ID on the first day of every job I ever held.

That's why I replaced my SS card when it was accidentally damaged. The form you fill out to replace the card is not a big deal. Look, they already know everything about you!
Assuming this was for the I-9 form, a passport suffices if you hold one. You need 1 from A....or 1 from B AND 1 from C. This is why most people use a drivers license (b) and social security card (c). But a passport satisfies both requirements. A lot of employers just instinctively ask for license and social security card, because everybody has them, rather than a passport.

Unless there is another reason for the social security card that I'm not thinking of.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

OnceARunner wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm Assuming this was for the I-9 form, a passport suffices if you hold one. You need 1 from A....or 1 from B AND 1 from C. This is why most people use a drivers license (b) and social security card (c). But a passport satisfies both requirements.
Off topic...but my very first job I was asked for 1 from A OR B, and then a "required" one from C. I had both a passport and a driver's licence with me, when the person would not accept. She kept saying the "AND" required a doc from C. I tried to explain the error for several minutes, even explaining the role of each document in each column, but instead got the "I've been doing this since before you were born" lecture. I was (kinda) a brat about it (I was 18 and too-big-for-my-britches) and said that if her supervisor rejected the form, I didn't need to the job enough to come back with another form of ID. I got the job. Ok to clarify, I was frustrated but polite, and I was away at college with no easy way to get SS card or birth certificate.

So MikeG2, if you have a passport and can keep it always valid, I can't see a big need for a SS card. Now, some people don't want to carry the passport around when doing things like applying for a job, and would rather just have the SS Card in the wallet. But that's why I like the "passport card", which is also a great wallet-sized back-up ID source in case you lose a driver's license.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I too have been missing mine for decades.

No plans to replace it.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

If I couldn't find my SS card I would only order a replacement if I was going to need it sometime in the near future. The only times I needed my SS card was when I joined the army and when I got my passport.

Do you have a online social security account? If so, you might be able to apply for a replacement card without having to mail in a form.

https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/kbanswe ... ionID=3755

If you're worried about misplacing your SS card, I would suggest either putting it in a safe deposit box or keeping it in a safe at home.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

This is one of those life deals where you won't need it until the one time you DO need it, and then you'll be kicking yourself for deciding not to replace it. Corollary: If you don't get it then you'll need it, but if you do get it you won't need it. Your choice.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
hmw

Post by hmw »

My wife had to get a new ss card when she applied for her TX driver license. They wanted to see the actual card. Other than that, I can't think any other time that we have to show the actual card.
mouses

Post by mouses »

OnceARunner wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm A lot of employers just instinctively ask for license and social security card, because everybody has them, rather than a passport.
I haven't seen my Social Security card in decades.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

Back around 1969 I was sent my SS card. There were two, attached to each other, stapled to a letter size card from the SSA. One was for "use", the other was for my "permanent record". I misplaced the loose one. Was never an issue until a few years ago at my work, where I've been working since 1998, they needed to see my actual card. The accountant/HR person said they wanted to see the actual card so that it was assured that the SSNs they were being given were accurate and not the result on someone's misremembering. A valid point. Even if you don't carry around the card it would be wise to verify that the number is correct.

Also, my card says "Not To Be Used For Identification". Well, that went out the window.
Determined

Post by Determined »

Ally wanted a copy of my SS card to open an account. They said they couldn't verify my identity. No one else has asked for it in forever.
Loandapper

Post by Loandapper »

MikeG62 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 pm I have been wondering whether I should go down to the SS office and fill out an application for a new card.
You can very easily request a new card online: https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

When I did it, it was free.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Loandapper wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm
MikeG62 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 pm I have been wondering whether I should go down to the SS office and fill out an application for a new card.

It still is free. There is a limit though as to the number of replacement cards you can get: 3 times in a calendar year and 10 times in a lifetime. Changes to your legal name or work authorization legend don't apply to this limit.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I am pretty sure employers now require you to present it when you are hired. So if you are going to be changing jobs, you may need it.
Topic Author
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Loandapper wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Apparently not for residents of NJ. We get the pleasure of going down to the local SS office and waiting in line to present the form and identification.

I have a passport, retired two years ago (so no new employers on the horizon) and all banking and brokerage relationships are well established (and never been asked for it yet to get any of those things in place). It's hard to imagine suddenly being asked for it, when no one has asked in over 35 years. Still good to hear what others think. Having said that, I am strongly leaning toward not getting a replacement.
richardglm

Post by richardglm »

I never needed it until my (legitimate) state tax return got flagged for some reason, and I had to present social security card (among a large list of other documents) to prove my identity and claim my refund.
Watty

Post by Watty »

hmw wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:36 pm My wife had to get a new ss card when she applied for her TX driver license. They wanted to see the actual card. Other than that, I can't think any other time that we have to show the actual card.
That happened to me too.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

If you live in a state that issues enhanced licenses, you will need to show your card if you seek one.

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/id44edl.pdf
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Watty wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:51 pm
hmw wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:36 pm My wife had to get a new ss card when she applied for her TX driver license. They wanted to see the actual card. Other than that, I can't think any other time that we have to show the actual card.
That happened to me too.
Same in New Mexico. BTW, SS cards, once, long ago, had printed on them "For Social Security Purposes Not for Identification". When did that go away?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8
Topic Author
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm If you live in a state that issues enhanced licenses, you will need to show your card if you seek one.

This is interesting information. Was not even aware of EDL’s until your post.

After A quick google search, it seems the primary reason someone would apply for an EDL is for re-entry back into the US (from select countries) - to be used in lieu of a passport.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhance ... rs_License

Already having a passport, I don’t see the value for me (unless there are other compelling reasons to get one). This is still good to know - learn something new every day.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

In late August I tried to get my free annual credit report, which I do every 4 months. Never had a problem before. This time I was denied online delivery and told I had to fill out and mail in a form. Along with the form I need to supply a copy of my SS card, a pay stub with my SS #, or a W2 form. I've been retired for several years.

I could probably go into my back tax files to find and copy an old W2. Paystubs were electronic for decades before I retired; doubt I have any left un-shredded. Copy of SS card was the easiest option. Fortunately I knew exactly where it was.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

richardglm wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:00 pm I never needed it until my (legitimate) state tax return got flagged for some reason, and I had to present social security card (among a large list of other documents) to prove my identity and claim my refund.
If you owed taxes instead of being due a refund, I bet they would have accepted your payment without the SS card.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Yes I would get a replacement card because you can never be sure you won't start a new job again. There are so many things retirees can do for fun and a little cash: Driving a school bus, a Uber, greet folks at Walmart, working for charities, etc.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

How about a quote; "Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it."
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Having survived without a SS card for 40 years or so, I have no intention of getting a replacement now.
My US passport will have to suffice.
If I encounter negative vibes, I shall scowl at the scoundrels and go elsewhere...
walker46

Post by walker46 »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm If you live in a state that issues enhanced licenses, you will need to show your card if you seek one.

In Michigan I got an enhanced license using just my current drivers license and my passport. I can't remember what I needed for my passport but it wasn't a social security card because I too haven't seen mine in fifty years.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

MP123 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 pm As I recall it was just a blue slip of cardboard, not exactly secure or anything.
Mine was heavy stock paper, not even paperboard, yet alone cardboard. It was stolen in a burglary a couple of years ago. At the time, to replace it would have meant sitting in the social security office several miles away, after traveling through heavy traffic, so I passed on the opportunity to replace it. I might have used it once 30 years ago.

If someone asks for it in the future I will tell them to use government-approved information systems to verify the information. If they can't do that, then *they* are probably trying to scam *me*.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
lynneny

Post by lynneny »

I've wondered about this too. My Social Security card went missing when I left home after college. I'm 61 now, and have never been asked for it, so I haven't bothered replacing it. I don't really want to carry around as ID a document that has my social security number on it. I did call Social Security once and asked if I'd need to show the card when I claim Social Security (at 70 of course), and they said no. That was the only situation I thought I might need it for.
I did replace my birth certificate, which I lost at the same time, a few years ago. I haven't needed that yet either, but for some reason felt like I should replace it.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

TimeRunner wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 pm This is one of those life deals where you won't need it until the one time you DO need it, and then you'll be kicking yourself for deciding not to replace it. Corollary: If you don't get it then you'll need it, but if you do get it you won't need it. Your choice.
Yup, pretty much guaranteed to go down this way. At the very least, I'd at least make sure I had all the information needed to submit the form later, just in case there was since weird piece of biographical data that only a third cousin twice removed knows.

Not to be morbid, but are there any end of life issues that would be easier for you, your caretakers, or your heirs if you had your actual SS card?
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 »

Already having a passport, I don’t see the value for me (unless there are other compelling reasons to get one). This is still good to know - learn something new every day.
The compelling reason to get an Enhanced Drivers License is the REAL ID Act. All REAL ID compliance extensions expired on October 10th 2017. In January of 2018 you will need one to enter all Federal Buildings and to board airplanes or you will have to show other ID, unless your state is granted an extension or is in compliance and issues EDLs. Currently New Jersey does not have an extension as it is still under review.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

In order to get a REAL ID compliant drivers license you must prove your SSN and as others have stated states may not accept a Passport and demand to see your Social Security Card.

On October 20th 2020 if you don't have a REAL ID compliant ID, you will not be able to board an aircraft with your license and will only be allowed to fly with a Passport domestically.

That is not to mention that by then most states will only be offering REAL ID compliant drivers licenses.
Last edited by atomicrc11 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

tooluser wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 pm
If someone asks for it in the future I will tell them to use government-approved information systems to verify the information. If they can't do that, then *they* are probably trying to scam *me*.
Indeed.
I filed for divorced spousal SS benefits in person just fine without a SS card just fine.
It's not the 1950s anymore...
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

lynneny wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:31 pm I don't really want to carry around as ID a document that has my social security number on it.
Nobody said you should carry it around with you. In fact one of the biggest recommendations to protect yourself from identity theft is that you not carry such items around with you.

You should just store it with your other important, but seldom used documents like a birth certificate. In the rare case you will need it, you will have advance notice.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

atomicrc11 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:34 pm
The compelling reason to get an Enhanced Drivers License is the REAL ID Act. All REAL ID compliance extensions expired on October 10th 2017. In January of 2018 you will need one to enter all Federal Buildings and to board airplanes or you will have to show other ID, unless your state is granted an extension or is in compliance and issues EDLs. Currently New Jersey does not have an extension as it is still under review.

In order to get a REAL ID compliant drivers license you must prove your SSN and as others have stated states may not accept a Passport and demand to see your Social Security Card.

On October 20th 2020 if you don't have a REAL ID compliant ID, you will not be able to board an aircraft with your license and will only be allowed to fly with a Passport domestically.

That is not to mention that by then most states will only be offering REAL ID compliant drivers licenses.
Note you may "prove" your SS# by:
1. Showing your SS card that has "pillars" on it.
2. Showing a W2 or 1099 less than 5 years old, and with all 9 digits showing (no xxx)
Teague

Post by Teague »

The compelling reason to get an Enhanced Drivers License is the REAL ID Act. All REAL ID compliance extensions expired on October 10th 2017. In January of 2018 you will need one to enter all Federal Buildings....
OK, so let's say it's January and I need to replace my missing SS card so I can get the enhanced licence thingy. Otherwise I can't enter Federal buildings. So, to do that I'll just walk down to my local SS office and go inside and....
Semper Augustus
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

MikeG62 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:43 pmAlready having a passport, I don’t see the value for me (unless there are other compelling reasons to get one). This is still good to know - learn something new every day.
The turnaround time on passports has been over ten weeks in my lifetime. For those with elderly family in WHTI countries, an EDL let's you cross the border at will even while passport is being renewed. Also, EDL validity is more likely not to be questioned by TSA. This can be a huge issue if you come from a small state. I wish I didn't have stories about people asking what state my state was in... Then receiving the dreaded handwritten "SSSS" on my boarding pass after explaining my state IS a state.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Teague wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 pm
The compelling reason to get an Enhanced Drivers License is the REAL ID Act. All REAL ID compliance extensions expired on October 10th 2017. In January of 2018 you will need one to enter all Federal Buildings....
OK, so let's say it's January and I need to replace my missing SS card so I can get the enhanced licence thingy. Otherwise I can't enter Federal buildings. So, to do that I'll just walk down to my local SS office and go inside and....
When I went to my local SS office last month I didn't have to show any ID to get inside.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

My SS card is still attached to the other half of the document.

I have never shown it to any employer, or even to the SS office when I was seeking best strategy for wife and I to collect SS.

I had a card at a young age because my father paid my brother and I to work in his citrus groves.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

For those of us in border states to the north, driving to Canada to visit friends, have dinner, see a show, etc. is often a spontaneous act. Not having to think about packing a passport and knowing that my driver's license is always with me, avoids complications.

Of course, I go back to the time when you showed nothing crossing from Vermont to Quebec. You got asked a few questions (where do you live, where are you going) and were waved along. A few years after the process tightened up, say 1995, we were on a family bike tour in Northern Vermont and unknowingly crossed into Quebec. The US officer turned out to be a bicyclist, knew our hometown, and after a few questions (where do you get your bike serviced?) waved us along.

To read about the bi-national community of Derby Line, VT...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_Line,_Vermont
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

My old paper one that I got in the 70s (back then you usually didn't get a card until you were going to get a job) went through the laundry decades ago. At one point MO had a point where you had to prove identity for driver's license renewal (not the current EDL) but they accepted some other paperwork with SSN on it.

Good to know about being able to use a W2.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

pshonore wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 pm
atomicrc11 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Note you may "prove" your SS# by:
1. Showing your SS card that has "pillars" on it.
2. Showing a W2 or 1099 less than 5 years old, and with all 9 digits showing (no xxx)
This varies by state. In my state, you cannot get a Real ID without a social security card. Edited to note that the Real ID Act and DHS regulations don't require states to require presentation of the actual cards, but some states have done so anyway. So you have to check your individual state's requirements to determine if you must bring your actual card.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Granted I have faced some less common situations in my life, but I've had to show the physical card repeatedly. Without going into detail, at one time I did routinely carry it with me for that reason.
PJW
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

atomicrc11 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:34 pm ...
It's worth noticing that the requirements of the REAL ID Act of 2005 (that's how Congress wrote its name) go far beyond proving one's identity and the state ID meeting certain physical specifications. It also requires, among other things, that states standardize and link their data and give access to the federal government.

I won't express an opinion one way or another, but there exist objections to those provisions. Some states have embraced them, and others have said they will never comply. One argument, and I'm not making or countering it here, is it amounts to a national ID, an idea some people reject.

There's a lot more than one's social security card and the size and placement of the photo involved.

PJW
mouses

Post by mouses »

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 am This can be a huge issue if you come from a small state. I wish I didn't have stories about people asking what state my state was in... Then receiving the dreaded handwritten "SSSS" on my boarding pass after explaining my state IS a state.
Coffee milk, Del's lemonade...
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

Same for me; I'm domiciled in TX and they wanted my SS card. I still have my original card and it's laminated. I've heard reports that some DMV employees won't accept laminated cards. They would not accept my mailing address even though I had several letters, including the VA, sent to me there. She was on a power trip, protecting the Republic :D
No Where for Very Long...
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Lancelot wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 pmSame for me; I'm domiciled in TX and they wanted my SS card. I still have my original card and it's laminated. I've heard reports that some DMV employees won't accept laminated cards. They would not accept my mailing address even though I had several letters, including the VA, sent to me there. She was on a power trip, protecting the Republic :D
I don't think anyone ever gave me issues for having a laminated SS card. If I'm supposed to maintain my SS card for life, I think it only makes sense I would laminate it to ensure it remains in good condition.
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

^ Yes laminating a card seems like common sense to me, but I've heard that in TX some DMV employees refused to accept laminated cards because of forgery concerns. Possibly over zealous employees with out -or perhaps with- no effective supervision.

In any case, they did accept my laminated card but refused my mailing address because I did not provide an itemized cc billing statement. SMH...
No Where for Very Long...