Circumstances in which a freeze needs to be lifted

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Circumstances in which a freeze needs to be lifted

Post by DiggleRex »

I plan on placing freezes soon, and I'd like a better idea of the type of circumstances when they need to be lifted. I've seen some people on here who've had them for years say they haven't had to lift them often.

1. For example, I'll likely be getting a new health insurance plan within the next month or so (to start Jan 1 2018). I don't get it through an employer, and I don't use the government website. I just buy it either directly from the health insurance company (most likely in this case) or from an independent place like ehealthinsurance.com. Would my credit file(s) be accessed in such a scenario, when applying for a plan? If so, I might just place my freezes after.

2. When getting an auto insurance quote, would you have to get at least one of the bureaus unfrozen first?

3. When buying a new cell phone (but with the carrier I already have), can my credit remain frozen in that situation?

Thanks for any insight. I may ask about other scenarios as they occur to me.
FrugalProfessor

Re: Circumstances in which a freeze needs to be lifted

Post by FrugalProfessor »

I've had my credit frozen for years. The only time I've had to unfreeze is when applying for new credit (Mortgage).

Check your credit report. Any instance of a credit inquiry in your recent past is an instance in which you'd have to unfreeze your credit going forward.

My preferred method of unfreezing is to temporarily unfreeze for a few days so that I don't forget to refreeze myself.
I blog here: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/
btenny

Post by btenny »

I have had my credit frozen for years. I have to put down $50 extra when I turn on the cable at my second home because they cannot check my credit even though I have had an account with them for a 30 years. So I do that and get the money back when I turn off the cable 3 months later.

I had to turn off the freeze once for a car lease 4 years ago. It was easy and took 10 minutes. Then I called the car place and gave them the data. The credit bureau refroze my credit the next day.

So it is really painless. Good luck...
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

The health insurance one (number 1 from my original post) is my main concern because that's coming up soon.

Also, what about setting up cable service? I recently read many complaints of Comcast for example, doing hard pulls without customer's permission. Does that mean you can't set up service with frozen credit? Thank you.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I buy cable from Cox in Arizona. I never unlock my credit when we turn on the cable. They try to do a credit check every time I turn it on. That fails so they add a security deposit of $50 to my bill. I pay the bill with a autopay credit card. They do this every time even though I have had cable with them in two homes for over 30 years. It is a PIA but that is their rule. I think they want the money float..

Good luck.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

For those of you who've had your freeze for years, did moving during that time ever affect anything? Did you need to do anything? I was looking at the freeze info by state on Experian's website, and I noticed for some states, it said some variation of "If you move to a new address and wish to keep the security freeze on your file, submit your request in writing and include all of your personal identification information and proof of your new address as specified in this letter."

Does anyone know anything about this? Would the other bureaus have similar requirements? That seems really inconvenient.
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

I froze my credit a few years ago. I haven't had to unfreeze except for when I bought a new cell phone and changed carriers.

Other circumstances I can think of
-opening credit credit account
-mortgage
-renting an apartment
-opening new accounts at cable or electricity providers

I suppose the best thing to do is determine which agencies each provider uses and open as necessary. Don't open all unless you have to.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

DiggleRex wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:30 pm For those of you who've had your freeze for years, did moving during that time ever affect anything? Did you need to do anything? I was looking at the freeze info by state on Experian's website, and I noticed for some states, it said some variation of "If you move to a new address and wish to keep the security freeze on your file, submit your request in writing and include all of your personal identification information and proof of your new address as specified in this letter."

Does anyone know anything about this? Would the other bureaus have similar requirements? That seems really inconvenient.
That sounds almost like you get UN-frozen if a new address gets associated with you? That would be a terrible design if so. Anyone that pretended to be you at a different address would unfreeze your credit file. Guess I wouldn't be surprised though...
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

I noticed some states said nothing, and others states said variations of what I quoted above. I hope someone can shed some light on this. I don't own a home so until I do, moving to a new apartment etc will be a part of my life. One reason this makes no sense to me (and I'm hardly an expert on such matters) is that if you move, presumably once you change your address with the credit card companies and/or set up new utilities, cable etc, your new address will likely be sent to the credit bureaus anyway (the 1st thing on every credit report is previous addresses). I also don't know if the other bureaus have similar rules. I'm not quite sure how to interpret it. How can they just remove your freeze if they notice that your current address changes? Don't only you have the power to remove the freeze? I mean, if you move to another state, the fee for freezing/unfreezing might change, but it seems like an absurd extra step if you would have to notify 1 or more of the bureaus that you moved and you'd like to keep your freeze and here's all the info that you already compromised.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

truenorth418 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm I froze my credit a few years ago. I haven't had to unfreeze except for when I bought a new cell phone and changed carriers.
Have you moved to a new address at all during that time period?
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

MP123 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:02 pm Anyone that pretended to be you at a different address would unfreeze your credit file. Guess I wouldn't be surprised though...
I didn't even think of that! Hmm. I just clicked through random states (NJ, CA, TX, FL, GA, etc) on experian's website, under state specific details for freezes, and it seems most states (or at least the random ones I clicked) say a version of the quote from my original post ("If you move to a new address and wish to keep the security freeze on your file, submit your request in writing and include all of your personal identification information and proof of your new address as specified in this letter.")
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

Your current address is part of your identity so the credit agencies insist that you update your records with your current address. Your current address helps the agencies verify that a credit request is valid. If you apply for a new credit card after you move, would you put your old address or your new address on the credit card application? You should also think about the confusion when the person at your old address applies for a credit card but their address is the same as yours since you did not update your credit history. Your current address, along with utility bills, driver's license, etc., are also used as a backup in case you lose your PIN and need to remove a freeze. Updating your address is all part of validating that you are who you say you are.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

DiggleRex wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 pm
truenorth418 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm I froze my credit a few years ago. I haven't had to unfreeze except for when I bought a new cell phone and changed carriers.
Have you moved to a new address at all during that time period?
My credit has been frozen for over a decade. During that time, we sold our home and moved into a rental. We had to unfreeze our credit so the rental company could do a credit check. I always ask which credit reporting agency is being used and provide a code for the unlock or do a limited unlock for a day or two. I also unlocked prior to selling when we refinanced. The last time I unfroze my credit was for a new credit card. I may have unfrozen my credit five times in all in over 10 years.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

remomnyc wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:07 pm

My credit has been frozen for over a decade. During that time, we sold our home and moved into a rental.
So I get that you had to unfreeze your credit for this, but did you--or did you have to--go through some type of formal process contacting each credit bureau you had freezes with to let them know your address was going to be changing? Thank you.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

earlyout wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:54 pm Your current address is part of your identity so the credit agencies insist that you update your records with your current address.
Thank you for your response but I admit I'm not 100% clear. The credit bureaus already have pretty much every address I lived at despite the fact that I never gave them that information. If I were to move, just by nature of an apartment running a credit check, setting up utilities etc, wouldn't the bureaus get my new address pretty quickly? Are you saying that if I place freezes now, then move, I have to go through some formal process of contacting each bureau and manually letting them know? What would happen to my freeze if I moved and didn't go through that process?
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

DiggleRex wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:41 am I plan on placing freezes soon, and I'd like a better idea of the type of circumstances when they need to be lifted. I've seen some people on here who've had them for years say they haven't had to lift them often.
I have had my credit frozen for a long time. As far as I recall this is the time I had to unfreeze my accounts.

1. I decided to go back to DISH and needed a receiver. I did not want to unfreeze my accounts so I bought the receiver instead - think it was about $250 - good deal instead of a monthly payment.

2. I opened a new bank account.

3. I bought a new car - think the dealer gets some type of incentive to use the manufacture's credit company.

Sometimes I was told with which Credit Bureau I had to unfreeze my accounts - other times it was random or a combination of them.

It only takes me about 10 minutes to unfreeze them.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I've had my credit frozen for years. Have only had to unfreeze 3 times, but I don't do it until the company that wants to see my report tells me which agency they are checking.
First time I was switching cell phone providers and it never occurred to me a credit check would be required. The transaction was stalled for a day until I went home and requested a temporary thaw online. Don't recall whether I was charged for that.
The next two times I was applying for credit cards. I submitted the application and then waited for them to tell me they needed to run a credit check. I asked "which company" and we went from there. Did not have to pay for the thaw. For the most recent credit card the bank actually facilitated the interaction with the credit agency.

Be advised that if your credit is frozen and you want to create a Soc. Sec. online account, you will either need to unfreeze or go in-person to the SS office. (This grinds me because the company -- Experian, I think -- is being paid taxpayer $$ to manage the SS sign-up system and also gets to collect a fee for unfreezing your account.)

Don't know how it works with mortgages and car loans, but you can try just telling them your credit report is frozen and ask them to let you know when they are ready to run a report. If they are only going to get a report from one agency, it makes no sense to unfreeze all three.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

DiggleRex wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:10 pm
remomnyc wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:07 pm

My credit has been frozen for over a decade. During that time, we sold our home and moved into a rental.
So I get that you had to unfreeze your credit for this, but did you--or did you have to--go through some type of formal process contacting each credit bureau you had freezes with to let them know your address was going to be changing? Thank you.
I did in fact notify all three credit agencies when I moved. I'm not sure if I had to, but it was on my to do list along with post office, electric, cable, etc.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

remomnyc wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:20 pm I did in fact notify all three credit agencies when I moved. I'm not sure if I had to, but it was on my to do list along with post office, electric, cable, etc.
Do you happen to remember by what means/process you contacted them?
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

DiggleRex wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:08 am
remomnyc wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:20 pm I did in fact notify all three credit agencies when I moved. I'm not sure if I had to, but it was on my to do list along with post office, electric, cable, etc.
Do you happen to remember by what means/process you contacted them?
No, but I'm sure I chose the easiest method, i.e., if I was able to do so on-line, I did so on-line.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

Can someone clarify this: I've seen some articles/people say that if you have freezes, it prevents anyone from accessing your credit report--even you. It's the "even you" part I'd like clarity on. If you have freezes in place, should you still be able to get your reports from annualcreditreport.com? (I realize, the site doesn't work often, even without freezes). Also, if you wanted to buy extra copies of any of your reports, should you be able to do that even with freezes in place? Thank you.
ProfLA

Post by ProfLA »

I live in CA and have had a freeze for about 8 years. One time I was asked to unfreeze not mentioned here already was when I thought I lost my wallet including a Bank of America credit card. BA needed me to unfreeze my credit in order for them to replace the card. (This surprised me because I thought current creditors had access to your report even with a freeze on.) I declined and cancelled the card. BTW Amex, Schwab, Citibank did not need me to unfreeze to replace my lost cards.

I had to unfreeze to establish Social Security online access so I recommend you register prior to placing freezes.

I have changed health insurance companies twice, to Aetna and BS and credit unfreezing never came up.

I have not moved since placing freezes so can't comment on that issue.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

DiggleRex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 am Can someone clarify this: I've seen some articles/people say that if you have freezes, it prevents anyone from accessing your credit report--even you. It's the "even you" part I'd like clarity on. If you have freezes in place, should you still be able to get your reports from annualcreditreport.com? (I realize, the site doesn't work often, even without freezes). Also, if you wanted to buy extra copies of any of your reports, should you be able to do that even with freezes in place? Thank you.
I saw that comment about a credit freeze meaning you can't access your free annual credit report online just this weekend in an article and was surprised -- since I've had my credit frozen for at least 10 years and have been accessing my credit report online for almost as long. This last time I tried to get one of my reports, however, I was told I could not get it online and would have to apply for it through snail mail. Now I'm wondering if the companies are tightening up. (Or maybe figure they have found a way to make a few bucks from the free credit report requirement by encouraging people to unfreeze.)
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

GerryL wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 pm This last time I tried to get one of my reports, however, I was told I could not get it online and would have to apply for it through snail mail. Now I'm wondering if the companies are tightening up. (Or maybe figure they have found a way to make a few bucks from the free credit report requirement by encouraging people to unfreeze.)
Do you remember which report it was? This seems to be most common with Equifax, although I've heard others say the same thing with EXP and TU. However, many people complaining of that (myself included) did not have freezes at the time of ordering the report and getting the request to send info by mail.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

DiggleRex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:00 pm
GerryL wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 pm This last time I tried to get one of my reports, however, I was told I could not get it online and would have to apply for it through snail mail. Now I'm wondering if the companies are tightening up. (Or maybe figure they have found a way to make a few bucks from the free credit report requirement by encouraging people to unfreeze.)
Do you remember which report it was? This seems to be most common with Equifax, although I've heard others say the same thing with EXP and TU. However, many people complaining of that (myself included) did not have freezes at the time of ordering the report and getting the request to send info by mail.
Yes. It was Equifax. I just mailed in the request today. I thought about sending it receipt requested for safety but then realized that they would be sending back the report in ordinary mail anyway.
cas

Post by cas »

GerryL wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 pm Yes. It was Equifax. I just mailed in the request today. I thought about sending it receipt requested for safety but then realized that they would be sending back the report in ordinary mail anyway.
In the future, if you would prefer, the annualcreditreport.com automated phone method (as opposed to online method) seems to work to extract a credit report from Equifax (or any of them) even when they pop up that page at you that says that you need to mail in extra documentation via US mail.

DiggleRex found the phone number and mentioned it over in the "Problems obtaining a free annual Equifax credit report online" thread. The thread has quite a bit of discussion on difficulties with the online method, but here is a post in the middle from when I successfully used the automated phone method: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227651#p3567277 (and, yes, I had a credit freeze in place when the phone method worked for me.)
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

earlyout wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:54 pm Your current address is part of your identity so the credit agencies insist that you update your records with your current address. Your current address helps the agencies verify that a credit request is valid. If you apply for a new credit card after you move, would you put your old address or your new address on the credit card application? You should also think about the confusion when the person at your old address applies for a credit card but their address is the same as yours since you did not update your credit history. Your current address, along with utility bills, driver's license, etc., are also used as a backup in case you lose your PIN and need to remove a freeze. Updating your address is all part of validating that you are who you say you are.
My experience is that their address identification stuff is flawed. Equifax recently (last few days) denied my access to free annual report and I suspect its address related. TransUnion blocked me right the the initial name/rank/serialnbr screen before I got the verification data page. I was able to get the report from Experian, but I did note some items as being strange.

Background: My Dad is elderly (nearly 93) and although competent and living at home, choose several years ago to have me assume his financial affairs including having me become the Trustee of of his Trust and as joint owner of his Bank/CC/CU accounts He lives in another town about 75 miles away. Thus I show on both the previous and this current report as having multiple address along with being an owner to several of his card accounts. Last time I did Equifax about 18 months ago, their validation page only listed my Dad's residence, which I checked off as 'yes' and it allowed me in. This time, Equifax showed my address, which I checked "yes' and then flunked me. I don't have a clue why TransUnion flunked me at the starting gate before validation questions.

Per Experian, I am the owner of my Dad's residence, yet nothing is noted about his vacation home. The last report I did with Equifax 18 months ago did show my residence plus the 2 related to my Dad plus a property of his.

1. The owner of a trust and its assets is the living 'Granter' not the Trustee, and they do not seem to be able to handle that, so what else have they messed up? I suspect they just assume the last added address to their list is the current address, thus they think I've moved. Well, what about vacation homes or income property that people buy.

2. I see an inquiry from a Credit Union a few months back I don't use but is the successor name to a credit union they dumped about 10 years ago. No associated account to the CU is reported. Of note, I see 100% of his mail on my every-other week trips and there has been no mail from this CU.

3. Per FICO, available to me free via my bank, they dinged my score a little for having too many and to much available $ on card accounts, yet those are really his accounts. They dinged me a little for not having enough debt payment history. Well, the agencies know I own property, know my house was paid off 10 years ago as they indicated so for many years, but that no longer qualifies having timed-out. Additional they have the wrong starting date for a car loan, which I took out just to maintain credit reporting, hence it indicates less that the 2 years required for significance when in fact its 2.5 years old.

4. They still think I'm employed when actually I'm retired.

5. Lastly, they know nothing about my income nor my financial reserves, which is a very large factor in one's thus my ability to pay.

IN MY OPINION, what these agencies do is really a farce, where they bilk other institutions into paying to access their incomplete/erroneous data, data that I never authorized WITH ANY AGENCY for them to have/store/sell (or lose) in the first place. Maybe they do spotlight those who have already demonstrated that they are truly deadbeats, but based on complaints, they seem to be a long way from being accurate.

Next time up to my Dad's place, I'll going to try to pull his credit report, but I suspect the validation questions are going to be touchy.

At this point I'm reluctant to freeze his credit reports, because the last thing I'd want to hassle with is for how-to me personally unfreeze HIS reports if I have to place him in a care facility, which he can afford to pay for, yet they'll likely want to run a credit check or else have someone guarantee the payment.
harmony

Post by harmony »

I had read somewhere (since the Equifax breach) that having frozen credit might cause insurance companies to not let you keep the customary discounts. I asked State Farm whether this was true. It took a week before I got this eye-opening response:

If you have a security freeze in place at the time of your policy renewals, the rate will default to a neutral rate.  You will receive a message in your renewal notice stating that the security freeze may have prevented State Farm from using credit to rate the policy.  The customer then has the option to temporarily lift the freeze so that the score may be recalculated. So, yes, a security freeze may impact your renewal insurance premiums.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

harmony wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:36 am I had read somewhere (since the Equifax breach) that having frozen credit might cause insurance companies to not let you keep the customary discounts.
But I thought companies you already do business with can still access your credit even if it's frozen?
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

DiggleRex wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:44 am
harmony wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:36 am I had read somewhere (since the Equifax breach) that having frozen credit might cause insurance companies to not let you keep the customary discounts.
But I thought companies you already do business with can still access your credit even if it's frozen?
Anyone have insights on this, especially those of you who've done freezes for years? My auto insurance policy recently renewed, but it was before I placed the freeze. So, say about this time next year, if I stick with the same company and just wait for my renewal policy, will there be a problem like mentioned above? I realize it may differ by auto insurance company, but otherwise if this will be a problem, it sounds like I would have to get in touch with them in advance of them preparing the renewal and find out which company they'll pull from.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

DiggleRex wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:10 am My auto insurance policy recently renewed, but it was before I placed the freeze. So, say about this time next year, if I stick with the same company and just wait for my renewal policy, will there be a problem like mentioned above? I realize it may differ by auto insurance company, but otherwise if this will be a problem, it sounds like I would have to get in touch with them in advance of them preparing the renewal and find out which company they'll pull from.
Call your auto insurance company.

It varies from state to state whether credit scores are used in determining premiums.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

azurekep wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:05 pm
DiggleRex wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:10 am My auto insurance policy recently renewed, but it was before I placed the freeze. So, say about this time next year, if I stick with the same company and just wait for my renewal policy, will there be a problem like mentioned above? I realize it may differ by auto insurance company, but otherwise if this will be a problem, it sounds like I would have to get in touch with them in advance of them preparing the renewal and find out which company they'll pull from.
Call your auto insurance company.

It varies from state to state whether credit scores are used in determining premiums.
I think that must be state-dependent it because I'm insured by State Farm and have never received the notice from them that harmony mentions up thread. My credit has been frozen for years, and I haven't noticed any unusual fluctuations in my insurance premiums. My premiums are very low, relatively speaking.
Topic Author
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

azurekep wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:05 pm Call your auto insurance company.
I will have to call Travelers when I get a chance and see if they can provide some info about this. Hopefully I'll be okay for a while because the policy renewed within the past week and was written prior to me placing my freezes. I do see them mainly on my TU report as far as pulls go.

Another question in the meantime: I noticed one category of soft pulls refers to "periodic account reviews by an existing creditor." Do freezes affect that or no, because they're already an existing creditor? And what are account reviews done for?
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

DiggleRex wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 am
azurekep wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:05 pm Call your auto insurance company.
I will have to call Travelers when I get a chance and see if they can provide some info about this. Hopefully I'll be okay for a while because the policy renewed within the past week and was written prior to me placing my freezes. I do see them mainly on my TU report as far as pulls go.

Another question in the meantime: I noticed one category of soft pulls refers to "periodic account reviews by an existing creditor." Do freezes affect that or no, because they're already an existing creditor? And what are account reviews done for?
I'm learning along with everyone else, but I thought soft pulls were pulls that didn't require unfreezing.
furwut

Post by furwut »

GerryL wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 pm
DiggleRex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:00 pm
Yes. It was Equifax. I just mailed in the request today. I thought about sending it receipt requested for safety but then realized that they would be sending back the report in ordinary mail anyway.
Got my annual credit report from Equifax this weekend online. My credit is frozen at the 3 main reporting agencies.