Simple Notebook/laptop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
munemaker

Re: Simple Notebook/laptop

Post by munemaker »

BL wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:39 am Windows desktop is handy for large screen video.
For large screen video, you can easily connect your chromebook to your TV with chromecast or a HDMI cable.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

munemaker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 am
Alexa9 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:35 pm a lot of people need a full fledged computer that runs programs.
Just curious...What are some programs that you personally need that you could not accomplish on a Chromebook?
iTunes is a big one. Photoshop/Lightroom. Games (I don't play them). If you have an iPhone/iPad it's nice to have a Mac. The MacBook just does almost everything better than the Chromebook. It's not just the programs. I would go into an Apple Store and try one out. Although I do like idea of Chromebooks, I think the quality is much lower. I've had a few of them with hardware issues that I returned.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Alexa9 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:19 am
munemaker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 am
Alexa9 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:35 pm a lot of people need a full fledged computer that runs programs.
Just curious...What are some programs that you personally need that you could not accomplish on a Chromebook?
iTunes is a big one. Photoshop/Lightroom. Games (I don't play them). If you have an iPhone/iPad it's nice to have a Mac. The MacBook just does almost everything better than the Chromebook. It's not just the programs. I would go into an Apple Store and try one out. Although I do like idea of Chromebooks, I think the quality is much lower. I've had a few of them with hardware issues that I returned.
Yes, I get that. If you use iTunes, iPhone, iPad, then it makes perfect sense to have a Mac. And I do get the Photoshop and games, if that is important.

I use all Google/Android stuff, and it integrates really well with the Chromebooks. I have only run into two things where the Chromebook was a problem. I bought a universal remote for my TV/home theater, and it required installing a program to set it up. The other was BigFoot's retirement planning spreadsheet (RPM) which kind of ran on Google Sheets, but some features didn't work right; worked perfect on Windows/Excel.
Last edited by munemaker on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbr

Post by dbr »

munemaker wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 am
Yes, I get that. If you use iTunes, iPhone, iPad, then it makes perfect sense to have a Mac.
I put all my wife's photos from her Mac to my PC so I can figure out what the heck we have instead of trying find everything in Photos. She went with Mac for iPhoto, but that does not exist anymore on new machines. I still have two iPhones and two iPads for this, that, or the other thing, especially travel or places I have to carry a computer around with me. Recently the iPad Mini has seemed to be the optimum compromise.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Barefootgirl wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:58 am Thank you all. Use will be limited to web surfing, email, Facebook, looking up the news... lol.
iPad. :)

Cheapest one should do.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I use Citrix to remote into work. Running it as a Chrome app on my Windows computer was painfully slow; I haven't tried it on a Chromebook. I also use Anyconnect. That app only works on Chromebooks so I haven't tried that.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

inbox788 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 pm I'm not talking about most Chromebooks. These comments are regarding the new crop of 2-in-1 Chromebooks that are came out this year https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/04/goo ... hromebook/ (and some of the limited ones that can be upgraded to the android store https://www.androidcentral.com/these-ar ... droid-apps ).

I'm on-board with a general Chromebook as the best option, as long as there isn't a more specific need:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=229030#p3559099
Fair enough, but what specifically did you think was lacking in the 2-in-1 Chromebooks?

I ask because I was thinking about getting one, but my experience with a Windows 2-in-1 a few years ago was that it was much too heavy to use as a tablet and that I detest typing on a virtual keyboard.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Pajamas wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:07 pmFair enough, but what specifically did you think was lacking in the 2-in-1 Chromebooks?

I ask because I was thinking about getting one, but my experience with a Windows 2-in-1 a few years ago was that it was much too heavy to use as a tablet and that I detest typing on a virtual keyboard.
There are 2 user groups being discussed here. Many answer apply more to general to advanced users, and not OPs elderly Mom, who I assume is a beginner. My comments have been mainly directed towards Mom.

Mom is going to have a challenge adapting to either a classic Chromebook or a tablet, but she may find one easier than another depending on what she does, so that's what I suggested; go with what's simpler and more natural for her and her uses. IMO, the added complexity of a 2-in-1 for her is unnecessary, and adds more confusion than it helps.

Now in general, I've found adding a touch to a Chromebook has limited benefits, especially without Android Apps. They've been working on adding the Play Store to Chromebooks, and only recently have they released a limited stable release. Stability and comparability issues are still common. With the new models that came out this year, there should be a renewed push, but it's still early (and I wouldn't want to add to Mom's frustrations).

Eventually the 2-in-1 may turn out to be a good idea, but aside from a Chromebook with touch, the tablet mode and other configurations are probably better achieved with simply a tablet and a stand. I'm not knocking the other benefits of the higher end 2-in-1 (faster processor, better resolutions), but the touch mode is not compelling for me.

If you need the light weight single unit, the go for the 2-in-1, but for now, I'm keeping my Chromebook for the keyboard benefits and my table with a stand for watching videos and other touch intensive functions (games?).
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

sunny_socal wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:32 pm I don't know, she lives overseas and I'm in the USA. All I know is that the new computer didn't work :?
This could be a problem depending on the country. There are several countries around the world that block Google -- China for example. A Chromebook is impossible to use in Mainland China without a VPN and VPNs are being blocked left-and-right.