Is a security freeze at Innovis really needed?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
BigJohn

Re: Is a security freeze at Innovis really needed?

Post by BigJohn »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:18 am I can't seem to freeze my Innovis and the call wait times exceed 30 mins the last two times I've tried. Has anyone had the same problem?
Did mine with Innovis on-line this past weekend, very quick and easy. Waiting for PIN via snail mail.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
Blues

Post by Blues »

geospatial wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 pm As many others have done, I requested freezes at Equifax, Experian, TransUnion, and Innovis. But before doing the same with ChexSystems, I wanted to submit a question to one of my online banking accounts first. I believe many bogleheads have taken advantage of the 11-month no-early-withdrawal-penalty CD option at Ally Bank. If that CD's interest rate increases above its current 1.50% before an existing CD matures, you have the option to withdraw early without penalty and open up a new account at the higher rate. However, I was wondering if a ChexSystem freeze would make this more tedious and even if such a freeze would potentially affect a more trivial renewal of an existing CD account. So I sent Ally this question and just received my response. The relevant part stated:
"A freeze on your credit report will not impact the renewal of a Certificate of Deposit account. If you place a freeze on your credit report, it will prevent a new application from completing. However, if you determine that you want to open a new account, you may contact the credit bureau to have a ?Global Lift? on your credit report so we can check your credit report. Once this is complete, you may place the freeze back on your report."
If my intent is to just ride out any CD interest rate increase and only take advantage of it when my current CD reaches maturity and I want to renew it, then I don't think the ChexSystems freeze should be an issue. If, however, I wanted to take advantage of a higher rate sooner and do an early withdrawal to open up new CD accounts at the higher rate, then I think I would have to request a temporary lift of the freeze. Just something to be aware of if any are still mulling this over. I haven't yet done a CD renewal though, so if anybody thinks I have this wrong, please chime in.
I've had a freeze at ChexSystems and the other major players for years. I have opened numerous Ally No-Penalty CDs as well as other CDs at Ally since then without issue.

The one issue I did have was when I tried to open a "savings" account. But rather than open it, I just put the money in another No-Penalty CD and called it good. (It wasn't worth the bother to temporarily unfreeze any credit accounts in my situation.)
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:09 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:47 am
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:25 am
AntsOnTheMarch wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 am I get the sense that Innovis is unlike the big three and if you've frozen those, someone will not be able to open a line of credit in your name based on an Innovis credit report alone.
Since Innovis does not sell credit reports, you don’t need to be concerned about businesses making credit decisions about you based on their data. However, you still need to be concerned about the data they house about you and its accuracy. Businesses could be using this information to manage their current relationship with you, such as what’s in your wallet, how you use credit, how you pay bills, how much of your credit you use and for the purposes of pre-approved offers of credit and insurance. They use this for cross-sell and up sell purposes.
https://blog.smartcredit.com/2011/06/20 ... it-bureau/
That said, if the freeze is free, why not do it? The process was easy for me (online). Still waiting for PIN via snailmail.
You are quoting an article from 6 years ago - are you sure this is still true? I always check dates in postings - things change. I ordered my credit report from Innovis at the same time I did the freeze - it's as complete as the big 3. If Innovis "does not sell credit reports" how do they stay in business?
No, I am sure of nothing. Thus...
I get the sense...
I posted the information as I found it, fwiw. I saw the date. After all, it's right there in the URL. The fact that it's 6 years old doesn't invalidate it but if you have something more current, please post it.

Btw, I froze Innovis as well as the big three and Chex.
Okay - thanks. I apologize if my questions came out sounding snarky - that wasn't my intention. I, like many others in this thread, am surprised by how hard it is to find info on Innovis. If call times were not so long I would call them up and ask some questions. I find it odd that ftc.gov doesn't talk about them when they discuss thr big 3 on theirs site. Like you - I did do a freeze with them.
No problem. It's a better safe than sorry situation in my book.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

msi wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 am
VictoriaF wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:31 pm Freezing Innovis is prudent for three reasons:
1. If perpetrators have difficulties with the big three credit reporting agencies, they'll target Innovis
2. Freezing Innovis is free
3. There is no need to unfreeze Innovis when applying for new credit

Victoria
If there's no need to unfreeze Innovis when applying for new credit, then what value is there in freezing at Innovis in the first place?

I'm trying to understand what Innovis actually does, and what creditor would request a report from Innovis but not the three everybody knows. I had never heard of them before all this.
The credit cards that I normally apply for use one of the top three CRAs. But a criminal may open in my name an obscure card with an obscure bank that uses Innovis. If I freeze Innovis, it will not affect me when I apply for credit cards but it will prevent a criminal from using obscure venues in my name.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

patriciamgr2 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:23 am Is anyone else doing a freeze at SageStream? No one seems to mention it - does that mean people consider it unnecessary? TIA for any help.
I requested my credit report from SageStream as I'm curious as to what is on it exactly. Once I get the report I'll just submit a freeze request and be done with it.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Can somebody explain this to me?

When I open a CD at a bank, *I* should be the one looking a the credit worthiness of the bank. Why does the bank care about *my* credit? The bank is the borrower here, not me! How does my poor or non-existent credit score affects the bank taking in my money? I can't think of any rational reason why it needs to run credit report on the lender. What are they afraid of? I mean why is the bank running the credit request on me when they are the borrower. Is it because that is how it has been always done?
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

wrongfunds wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:37 pm Can somebody explain this to me?

When I open a CD at a bank, *I* should be the one looking a the credit worthiness of the bank. Why does the bank care about *my* credit? The bank is the borrower here, not me! How does my poor or non-existent credit score affects the bank taking in my money? I can't think of any rational reason why it needs to run credit report on the lender. What are they afraid of? I mean why is the bank running the credit request on me when they are the borrower. Is it because that is how it has been always done?
In this case, it's not your credit worthiness that the banks are checking for, rather it's about complying with "know your customers" rules. The banks have to make sure you aren't engaging in money laundering or something.
AAA

Post by AAA »

gtd98765 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:43 pm I don't know if it's needed but it is quick (one screen of info) and free. I did it for both my wife and myself in less than five minutes.
I had the same experience. About a week later we got the PINs in paper mail.
geospatial

Post by geospatial »

siamond wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:45 pm
geospatial wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 pm If, however, I wanted to take advantage of a higher rate sooner and do an early withdrawal to open up new CD accounts at the higher rate, then I think I would have to request a temporary lift of the freeze.
So, to express it in simpler terms, buying a new CD would not be possible if one has a credit freeze at Chex Systems? If true, it should be noted on our new wiki page about credit freezes.
Here is the response I got back from Ally...
Thank you for contacting Ally Bank. I am happy to assist with your Certificate of Deposit inquiry.

Please be advised, if you choose to close a No Penalty Certificate of Deposit (CD), you will receive the full principle plus interest up to the day of the closure without penalty. Please note, that this is will also cause you to lose the Loyalty reward that is added to a renewing CD.

If you choose to open a new account with a credit freeze, we will ask you during the application process to contact Trans Union at 1-800-909-8872 to request a Global Credit Lift. You will be able to place the freeze back on your credit once the soft credit check is done. Please be advised that soft hit to your credit report will not impact your credit score.

I hope you find this information helpful. We appreciate your business and want to thank you for choosing Ally Bank. If you have any additional questions, we are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our toll free number is 1-877-247-ALLY (2559) or you can always visit us online at ally.com.
So nothing mentioned about ChexSystems, only TransUnion, when it comes to opening up a new account, presumably whether it is a savings/checkings account or a CD account though I was only asking about CDs. I think it was mentioned elsewhere that others haven't had an issue opening up new CDs with Ally despite having a credit freeze in place, so maybe take this with a grain of salt. I'm still not sure what a "Global Credit Lift" is either.
DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex »

For those that ordered their Innovis report online, how many days did it take to arrive? They say you can expect it within a "few" business days. Today was the third business day and I didn't get. I figure if I don't get it by Saturday, I'll call them on Monday.
learning_head

Post by learning_head »

^ Wait a couple weeks at least - it eventually comes and they are overwhelmed nowadays.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

geospatial wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:34 pm I'm still not sure what a "Global Credit Lift" is either.
I did a search on that, and found a pdf instruction form for a temporary thaw of the big three. This is what it says at the end of the TransUnion instructions: "Please note: If you are in the state of Colorado and are requesting a lift you must ask for a “Global Lift”. This does not require third parties to have a PIN to access your credit file."

Source: https://www.advcredit.com/linked_docs/t ... y_lift.pdf
siamond

Post by siamond »

DiggleRex wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:47 pm For those that ordered their Innovis report online, how many days did it take to arrive? They say you can expect it within a "few" business days. Today was the third business day and I didn't get. I figure if I don't get it by Saturday, I'll call them on Monday.
I would suggest you give it a week, all those credit bureaus are under a LOT of pressure... I requested mine, and got it within a week. The report doesn't say much, it identifies a few credit cards I use (not the whole list) and our car/home loans, and that's it. I issued an online freeze after requesting the report, and got the confirmation (and confirmation number) by mail. Overall, this worked fine.
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

Received PIN from Innovis on Wednesday, right at 2 weeks since I did the freeze. Still waiting for PIN from ChexSystems.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

BigJohn wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:39 am Received PIN from Innovis on Wednesday, right at 2 weeks since I did the freeze. Still waiting for PIN from ChexSystems.
Even though I applied for both freezes at the same time, it took about a week or so longer for me to get the PIN from Chexsystems
siamond

Post by siamond »

flamesabers wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:03 am
BigJohn wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:39 am Received PIN from Innovis on Wednesday, right at 2 weeks since I did the freeze. Still waiting for PIN from ChexSystems.
Even though I applied for both freezes at the same time, it took about a week or so longer for me to get the PIN from Chexsystems
Yup, same here. I actually received the report I requested from Chex, but not yet the PIN...
deecee

Post by deecee »

Got a confirmation letter, and credit reportfrom Innovis on October 5. Submitted my request on Sept 22 for both Innovis and ChexSystem. I received my credit report from ChexSystem, which lists my freeze with them, but I have not received a PIN from them yet.

Is the Innovis PIN the same as the freeze confirmation number? I did not see anything specifically called a PIN in my confirmation letter.

It's also interesting that my Chex report is very minimal with regards to it's contents relative to the accounts I have had. Makes me wonder if banks really use this.

Thanks.
siamond

Post by siamond »

deecee wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:41 amIt's also interesting that my Chex report is very minimal with regards to it's contents relative to the accounts I have had. Makes me wonder if banks really use this.
I was a bit surprised by the same thing, but then I noticed that a biz checking account I recently opened at a small local bank did query Chex... So they are used, even by small entities.
Last edited by siamond on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

deecee wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:41 amIs the Innovis PIN the same as the freeze confirmation number? I did not see anything specifically called a PIN in my confirmation letter.

It's also interesting that my Chex report is very minimal with regards to it's contents relative to the accounts I have had. Makes me wonder if banks really use this.

Thanks.
Yes, the Innovis PIN is the same as the freeze confirmation number. Per the website:
A Security Freeze will be placed on your Innovis Credit Report after your request has been received and your identity has been verified. You will receive a confirmation letter by mail that contains a 10-digit Security Freeze Confirmation Number. You can request a replacement Security Freeze Confirmation Number or a lift pin online, by phone, or by mail.
https://www.innovis.com/personal/securityFreeze

In regards to Chexsystems, only negative information is reported. Per the website:
ChexSystems is a consumer reporting agency that gives information to banks and credit unions when they’re deciding how risky a potential customer could be. Think about your current and any former banks you have held accounts with. Did you have any history of bounced checks or outstanding overdraft fees? Or maybe you simply stopped using the account due to a zero balance but never officially closed the account? Those are examples of negative behaviors that banks would report to ChexSystems. An unfavorable report on ChexSystems may prevent you from opening a new bank account or savings account, thus delaying your journey to financial stability.
https://www.consumerismcommentary.com/h ... ms-report/
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Where will this end?

Our personal credit history has been accumulated by others without our permission & is sold to others-again without our permission. In the majority of the states, if we want to protect this info we are charged a fee. A fee to protect something we never agreed for them to have - something that has a major impact on the quality of life for us & our families!

In Texas that fee is $10. If we want to unfreeze in order to qualify for a loan, in Texas its no charge, but after the loan process, we must again pay $10 to re-freeze, for a total of $20. Also note that consumers in some states pay more, some pay less, and some, because of the particular state's laws, no fees. Why do they charge me but not others? 'Cuz they can.

Now this freeze doesnt stop others from accessing our credit files such as the PRE-APPROVED credit card vultures, only to ensure that no loans are issued.

This is extortion....but, now these credit aggregating agencies are growing, no longer are there just 3, but 5 and the question is, whats to stop the number from growing to 10, 20, more? We are prey.

If you become a victim of identity theft you are ruined. These thugs can jack with your income tax, medical, social security, banking, credit cards....the list is endless- and you cannot overcome the damage.

The mafia calls this a protection racket. It has to stop. Ive contacted my state representative & intend to contact my congressman & senator. You should too.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Jim Beaux wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:30 pmThis is extortion....but, now these credit aggregating agencies are growing, no longer are there just 3, but 5 and the question is, whats to stop the number from growing to 10, 20, more? We are prey.
Well, the truth is there are more than 5. Many more. Here is an extract from the credit freeze wiki page:
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) publishes a comprehensive list which includes the three largest nationwide consumer reporting companies (Equifax, Experian, Transunion) and several specialty reporting companies that focus on certain market areas and consumer segments. The list is available here: List of consumer reporting companies (2016)
Note that credit bureaus aren't exactly the only companies collecting personal information and reselling it nowadays. Many online and smartphone applications do exactly that. Even a game like Angry Birds does it, which is a little hard to swallow... I don't disagree with your anger, but there isn't going to go away in our modern interconnected world.
algorithm

Post by algorithm »

I think this post is very helpful. It explains why a security freeze on Innovis and ChexSystems is important.

https://www.hotpersonalfinance.com/impo ... t-reports/
mrken

Post by mrken »

I had requested my credit report from SageStream. Interestingly, the mailed package included credit reports from both SageStream and Innovis (unsolicited). Are they related?
GCD

Post by GCD »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by GCD on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

I'm trying to do a freeze at the Innovis website, but I always get "Unable to Process Your Request"
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

I had never heard of Innovis or ChexSystems. Thanks to everyone for their comments in the thread.

Are there any other minor entities that I can freeze?

I'm still confused by Equifax's security lock vs freeze. From what I can gather, you can unlock your credit lock with the mobile app or using the website without a PIN. A freeze requires a PIN, can't be done by the mobile app, and is federally regulated (in other words, if Equifax screws it up there might be repercussions as opposed to a lock which is internally developed and not federally regulated). Am I missing something here?
siamond

Post by siamond »

southerndoc wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:29 am I had never heard of Innovis or ChexSystems. Thanks to everyone for their comments in the thread.

Are there any other minor entities that I can freeze?
Trouble is there are tens of them and it is really hard to draw a line. Check this section of the credit freeze wiki page, notably the CFPB list.

Personally, besides the big 3, I did Chex and Innovis, I didn't do SageStream nor any other minor entity. This was admittedly a very arbitrary choice.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

cacophony wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 am I'm trying to do a freeze at the Innovis website, but I always get "Unable to Process Your Request"

Sorry for reviving an old thread -- did you get this resolved? I am getting "Innovis is unable to process your request at this time" both for a credit report request and for a credit freeze request. The page advises to submit a written request or call.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:22 pm
cacophony wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 am I'm trying to do a freeze at the Innovis website, but I always get "Unable to Process Your Request"

Sorry for reviving an old thread -- did you get this resolved? I am getting "Innovis is unable to process your request at this time" both for a credit report request and for a credit freeze request. The page advises to submit a written request or call.
I've tried many times and always gotten that same error. I've never tried to write or call though. Glad to hear I'm not the only one!