Does my Honda CRV need servicing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dodgy55

Does my Honda CRV need servicing?

Post by dodgy55 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:27 am

Back in May 2013 I purchased a new 2012 Honda CR-V. I love my CR-V and want to make sure I keep it well maintained. The dealer I bought the CR-V from is different than the dealer I use for servicing. With this Honda model a service wrench maintenance minder logo appears on the odometer area and includes a code as to what service is required. My car has around 85,000 miles on it and, so far, only the oil change code has appeared. When I ask the service dealer as to whether it is time for a multi-point service inspection, they advise service is only needed if a maintenance minder code lights up. I was informed the service reps at this dealer are on a salary basis, not commission basis, and that is the reason they are not pushing the standard dealer maintenance package on me. After 85,000 miles I would think I would need more than an oil change. I would like to know if other Bogelheads who own Hondas have had a similar experience. I know the dealer I bought the CR-V from would love to sell me a maintenance package.
Fond memories are the best investment

oldcomputerguy

Re: Does my Honda CRV need servicing?

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:35 am

We have a CR-V that we’ve had for about 150k miles. We usually do oil changes around every 5k miles or so. We have done one transmission service since new. Runs like a top.

Preventative maintenance is important, but remember that the little wrench light was programmed by the same company that sold you the car and who also sells servicing.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:40 am

Learn to use the maintenance minder.

With my CRV and driving habits, an oil change comes up around 11,000 to 12,000 miles. Every other oil change also requires a filter change.

Thing to consider about changing the transmission fluid is that only a fraction of the fluid comes out with each change. That's why it comes up more often than you might expect.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:41 am

Whoa. I must be really old school! I've had a '67 VW, '82 BMW, 2000 Camry (and something flashy briefly in the middle). I just bought a shiny new 2017 and have not looked at the manual. Don't cars still have brake fluid, transmission fluid, air filters, window washer fluids? Assume that tires, batteries and brakes are not part of the little onboard warning system? I would sure want all this stuff checked annually, no?
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Yes, it does. At 85k miles, you should have oil & filter changes; transmission fluid flush; radiator fluid flush; brake fluid flush.

Presumably other things should have been done, like tire rotation, and inspections of bolts on the chassis; retorque drive shaft and axle bolts. Air filters, cabin filters, windshield wiper replacement before winter rains.

At 100k or so, you should be changing the timing belt - if it breaks, you likely have an interference engine, which means the engine will be totaled.

All of this is noted in your Owners' Manual. If you've not looked at it, you can google 2012 Honda CR-V service schedule. Voila!

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pub ... 00132A.pdf

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:36 pm

You should read the maintenance schedule that came with the car. Coolant and brake fluid are a couple of things that are changed on a time schedule and may not appear on the maintenance minder, especially if it was reset after oil changes. Oil changes are required annually even if the mileage has not been reached.

DMW

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 pm

The maintenance minder in my Honda van displays letters and numbers, and I have to look in the manual to see what those letters and numbers mean. Some maintenance items in the manual don't pop up on the maintenance minder at all, e.g., brake fluid changes which have to be done every 3 years regardless of mileage. I'm really surprised it hasn't told you to change the transmission fluid. The maintenance minder told me to change my transmission fluid at about 2.5 years, which was around 30,000 miles. I change the cabin air filter when it looks dirty, as opposed to on the manual's schedule. It's super easy to do that yourself. At 85,000 miles I would have the serpentine/drive belt inspected in addition to all that other stuff previous posters have mentioned.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Rupert wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 pm
The maintenance minder in my Honda van displays letters and numbers, and I have to look in the manual to see what those letters and numbers mean. Some maintenance items in the manual don't pop up on the maintenance minder at all, e.g., brake fluid changes which have to be done every 3 years regardless of mileage.
This is so simple and obvious. I don't know why people have so much trouble following it.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:34 pm
Yes, it does. At 85k miles, you should have oil & filter changes; transmission fluid flush; radiator fluid flush; brake fluid flush.

Presumably other things should have been done, like tire rotation, and inspections of bolts on the chassis; retorque drive shaft and axle bolts. Air filters, cabin filters, windshield wiper replacement before winter rains.

At 100k or so, you should be changing the timing belt - if it breaks, you likely have an interference engine, which means the engine will be totaled.

All of this is noted in your Owners' Manual. If you've not looked at it, you can google 2012 Honda CR-V service schedule. Voila!

At that mileage I would not recommend "flush" of transmission oil. I would just drain and fill, not flush, possibly all oils just to get a new baseline established with any used vehicle I buy. So, for a used vehicle that is new to me I would:
Change oil
Drain and fill transmission oil
Drain and fill 4WD oil if it has it
Drain and fill front diff. If it has it

But don't flush!

BerkeleyChris

Post by BerkeleyChris » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:31 pm

dodgy55 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:27 am
My car has around 85,000 miles on it and, so far, only the oil change code has appeared.
Hi, Dodgy,

Are you saying that for the past 85k miles and since the car was brand new, you've only had the A1 service code come up? If that is the case, something is wrong. Maintenance minder should have cycled through many combinations of A or B +1,2,3,4,5,6 service codes by now.

Chris

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Whatever they quote you for the timing belt, i can change it for you for 1/2 the price!

sqrt(-1)

DON'T do transmission FLUSHES! The usual transmission service is CHANGE (drain/fill) the fluid 3X.

I've got pretty much the same car 2010 and did my first transmission CHANGE 1X at 60k and 2X more with subsequent oil changes. I should have just done them every 15-30k, which is my new maintenance schedule going forward going off script from maintenance schedule and minder.

OP, how many miles did it have when you took ownership? How many oil changes have you done? What color is the transmission fluid, closer to pink or closer to brown? (you check it just like the oil with a dipstick - probably a yellow handle deep down between the battery and radiator)

https://youtu.be/_wsL3RjC8ac?t=120

This video reminded me it might be time to check/change the power steering fluid.

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 pm

OP, have you seriously had this SUV for 4+ years since it was new and never had the cabin or engine any filter replaced, brake fluid changes, or brakes replaced? Just wondering... Anyway, Hondas are very low maintenance and those are all of the things it would have needed, other than the oil and filter changes.