Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Vision
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 am

Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Vision » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1RodFhFwc

This is very depressing.

Even the master himself is saying we will get something like measly 3% from the market and the fun times are over.

Really? :(

Not fair. I guess due to exposure of everyone to these markets indexing is just not that profitable anymore. Too many players. Will we really have to stick to Bitcoin?

emoore
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by emoore » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Vision wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:01 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1RodFhFwc

This is very depressing.

Even the master himself is saying we will get something like measly 3% from the market and the fun times are over.

Really? :(

Not fair. I guess due to exposure of everyone to these markets indexing is just not that profitable anymore. Too many players. Will we really have to stick to Bitcoin?
Why do you think he’s right? He’s been saying that for years. Nobody can predict what returns we will get.

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by telemark » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:11 pm

I haven't watched the video but I imagine he's using the word expect in a very precise way, referring to the average of all possible outcomes after weighting them by their probabilities: this is very different from how the word is normally used outside of finance. In practice the expected return is almost never what actually happens, because there is such a wide range of possible outcomes, so we can reasonably expect not to get the expected return.

jebmke
Posts: 7005
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by jebmke » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I never had any expectations specifically. About all you can do is see how your plan behaves under a variety of assumptions and decide if that will get you to your goal. 3% real for equity isn't unreasonable as one of those scenarios.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by JoMoney » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:18 pm

His prediction in the video (from last year) was for the next "decade" not "decades".
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:21 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:16 pm
I never had any expectations specifically. About all you can do is see how your plan behaves under a variety of assumptions and decide if that will get you to your goal. 3% real for equity isn't unreasonable as one of those scenarios.
3% real would be okay with me. My budget plan going forward hopes for 2% nominal.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 12101
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Toons » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:22 pm

3% is better than Nothing.
Anyway,
Keep Investing :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

lazyday
Posts: 3015
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:27 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by lazyday » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:24 pm

If I follow Bogle, a 50/50 portfolio of US equity and a mix of bonds including long bonds and corporates, is predicted to earn 1.5% real over 10 years, before expenses and investor timing mistakes.

Doesn’t seem pessimistic to me.

You can find another opinion here, using similar methods: https://interactive.researchaffiliates. ... e=Equities

Using global equities improves the expected return.

Vision
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Vision » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Toons wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:22 pm
3% is better than Nothing.
Anyway,
Keep Investing :happy
Sorry, but 3% is [absolutely unacceptable --admin LadyGeek]. Nobody gets rich with 3% annual.

There must be alternatives. I dunno, buying condos, renovating them and renting them out will get you more than 3%.

Investing that money in some business venture will get you more than 3%.

5% would have been fine, but when it gets under that it is really not worth it. You are not getting rich with that

jebmke
Posts: 7005
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by jebmke » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm sure there is someone out there with higher expected returns prognostications.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 17251
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:28 pm

^ It's 3% real - that is 3% + inflation = a minimum of 5% give or take. The golden age of real estate - raise interest rates enough and you'll be lucky to see 5% there.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Texanbybirth
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:32 pm

3% is what I have in my spreadsheet. If we get that, we're golden. If we get more, GREAT.

Jags4186
Posts: 1467
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Just because he’s right about expenses doesn’t mean he’s right about everything.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 17251
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:32 pm
3% is what I have in my spreadsheet. If we get that, we're golden. If we get more, GREAT.
I've been using 0% real as worse case scenario, normalized scenario is 1% real, anything greater than that and I will be quite pleased. (Have I mentioned how pleased i have been these last 10 years? :) )
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

RadAudit
Posts: 2677
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by RadAudit » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Vision wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:01 pm
Even the master himself is saying we will get something like measly 3% from the market and the fun times are over.
OK, he was saying this in Oct, 2016 - but he may still be correct over the next decade. And what I thought I heard from the video was that for a balanced portfolio, of 50 / 50, the return would be less than that and, In real terms, even lower.

I remember several years - OK, 20 years - he made a similar prediction and then the market dropped. So, his prediction was essentially correct. It just didn't occur in an orderly manner over a long period of time.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course.

freyj6
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by freyj6 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm

People were predicting low returns going forward in mid 2013... S&P up 75% since then...

MathWizard
Posts: 2649
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by MathWizard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:14 pm

I look at 30 year returns, not 10 year. My guess on the 10 year is that we'll be lucky if the 10 year real return is
above zero, but I could be wrong . If I knew when a drop would occur, I could make a bundle but I don't, so I can
just hold some bonds, and rebalance into equities when/if a large drop occurs.

The 30 year forecasts seem to suggest US returns are over 3% real up to about 5% real, with small stocks and global
equities doing slightly better.

Code: Select all

https://portfoliosolutions.com/latest-learnings/blog/30-year-risk-and-return-forecast-2016

Code: Select all

http://www.schroders.com/en/sysglobalassets/digital/insights/2017/pdf/30_year_return_forecast_final_3.2017.pdf

Code: Select all

https://investments.voya.com/idc/groups/public/documents/investor_education/fundspace_bswp-ltcmf.pdf

visualguy
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by visualguy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:29 pm

What would be the driver for good returns? Ultimately, it would have to be economic growth. The stock market valuations are already very high, so earnings will have to grow significantly, which means economic growth is needed. Unfortunately, US and Europe have been stuck at around 2%, and it's not clear what would change that considering the aging populations and the slowing pace of population growth (in the US it's at its slowest pace since 1937). Some countries in Asia are in better shape in terms of growth, but there are other issues there.

When taking all this into account, it's hard to justify expectations of good stock market returns in the foreseeable future. Something better than 2%/yr or so real (before taxes) on a 60/40 stock/bond portfolio over the next couple of decades would surprise me - not sure how it could happen based on current trends, but it's hard to predict the future.

FullYellowJacket
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:21 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by FullYellowJacket » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Asking where growth will come from in the future is similar to someone in 1950 asking about when will the microchip or integrated circuit be invented. All it takes is a few scientific breakthroughs and growth is limitless. My barely educated opinion is that major breakthroughs in energy and energy tech (think batteries) will drive major growth going forward.

TheAncientOne
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by TheAncientOne » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Ben Graham wrote The Intelligent Investor in 1949 when the very idea of investing in stocks had been discredited. The Dow peaked in September 1929 at 380. Twenty years later, the Dow was at 180. His goal in writing the book was to argue that buying stocks might actually make sense.

In the book's first chapter he points out that anyone who bought an equal amount (he used $25/month!), spread out among the Dow 30 over that twenty year period would have earned 8%/yr. There were no index funds back then and barely any mutual funds at all so it would not have been easy to implement this but the powerful lesson here that holds to this day is that investing every month (or quarter if that's too hard), in good times and bad provides the opportunity to outperform the market. We'll have to take the risk that we never have a 1930-33 period when huge numbers of people lost their jobs and couldn't find another, which would certainly undercut the dollar cost averaging strategy. But short of that, just do what we all know needs to be done and the results will very probably be much better than the underlying market during the same period.

visualguy
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by visualguy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:32 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 pm
Asking where growth will come from in the future is similar to someone in 1950 asking about when will the microchip or integrated circuit be invented. All it takes is a few scientific breakthroughs and growth is limitless. My barely educated opinion is that major breakthroughs in energy and energy tech (think batteries) will drive major growth going forward.
Yes, technological breakthroughs could make the difference that would lead to better market returns. People who are counting on better market returns are essentially betting on that (the rest of the picture doesn't look good), and it's important to realize that.

In terms of technological advancements that have a major impact on the actual growth of the economy, I find that the pace of those breakthroughs has slowed down significantly this century when compared to last century. I don't feel comfortable betting on great breakthroughs in science/technology over the next couple of decades to be able to survive financially during retirement. Maybe if I was younger... For people within a few years of retirement or in retirement, it's worrisome.

Dottie57
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:40 pm

"Nobody knows nothin" - Jack Bogle

User avatar
reriodan
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by reriodan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Hmm... 3%, pretty solid I will take it! On the other hand, it's not as good as the 12% I would be guaranteed with Dave Ramsey.... :D

Dottie57
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:46 pm

visualguy wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:32 pm
FullYellowJacket wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 pm
Asking where growth will come from in the future is similar to someone in 1950 asking about when will the microchip or integrated circuit be invented. All it takes is a few scientific breakthroughs and growth is limitless. My barely educated opinion is that major breakthroughs in energy and energy tech (think batteries) will drive major growth going forward.
Yes, technological breakthroughs could make the difference that would lead to better market returns. People who are counting on better market returns are essentially betting on that (the rest of the picture doesn't look good), and it's important to realize that.

In terms of technological advancements that have a major impact on the actual growth of the economy, I find that the pace of those breakthroughs has slowed down significantly this century when compared to last century. I don't feel comfortable betting on great breakthroughs in science/technology over the next couple of decades to be able to survive financially during retirement. Maybe if I was younger... For people within a few years of retirement or in retirement, it's worrisome.
Cell phones
Internet speed,
Genetic - cancer treatment approaches
Energy technology including batteries
AI
Physics -detection of gravity waves.

And other technology I don't know about.

And of course there is alien technology being hidden by secret agencies.. :mrgreen:

/sorry it has been a long week. I needed to amuse myself.

letsgobobby
Posts: 10691
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Vision wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:25 pm
Toons wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:22 pm
3% is better than Nothing.
Anyway,
Keep Investing :happy
Sorry, but 3% is [absolutely unacceptable --admin LadyGeek]. Nobody gets rich with 3% annual.

There must be alternatives. I dunno, buying condos, renovating them and renting them out will get you more than 3%.

Investing that money in some business venture will get you more than 3%.

5% would have been fine, but when it gets under that it is really not worth it. You are not getting rich with that
3% doubles my money every 24 years. I can retire with that. Save more.

AlohaJoe
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Saigon, Vietnam

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by AlohaJoe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Bogle's predictions have been wrong for the last 25 years. Not sure why they'd start being right now.

stlutz
Posts: 4024
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by stlutz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:52 pm

I think it's worth understanding the scenarios whereby you end up at 3% for a decade.

For example, if you average an 8% return for 9 of those years and have one year where the market is down by 1/3, you end up with a 3% CAGR.

That's not really a depressing combination of events--that's more like what we call "normal". Abnormal returns result when you go 10 years and don't have a significant bear market. Those happen too, but I would never plan my finances around it.

At any time (not just today), it's always a sensible assumption that there will be a significant bear market sometime in the next decade.

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by FIREchief » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:36 pm
Just because he’s right about expenses doesn’t mean he’s right about everything.
+1
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by FIREchief » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:55 pm

visualguy wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:29 pm
What would be the driver for good returns? Ultimately, it would have to be economic growth. The stock market valuations are already very high, so earnings will have to grow significantly, which means economic growth is needed. Unfortunately, US and Europe have been stuck at around 2%, and it's not clear what would change that considering the aging populations and the slowing pace of population growth (in the US it's at its slowest pace since 1937). Some countries in Asia are in better shape in terms of growth, but there are other issues there.
With multinationals, we don't really care where the economic growth occurs, do we?
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

visualguy
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by visualguy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:19 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:55 pm
visualguy wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:29 pm
What would be the driver for good returns? Ultimately, it would have to be economic growth. The stock market valuations are already very high, so earnings will have to grow significantly, which means economic growth is needed. Unfortunately, US and Europe have been stuck at around 2%, and it's not clear what would change that considering the aging populations and the slowing pace of population growth (in the US it's at its slowest pace since 1937). Some countries in Asia are in better shape in terms of growth, but there are other issues there.
With multinationals, we don't really care where the economic growth occurs, do we?
Right in theory. In practice, when you're dealing with places like China and India, things may get more complicated...

The lack of growth and stagnating populations of the US and Europe are definitely an issue that I'm very concerned about.

Daryl
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:34 am
Location: Malvern, PA (I like to sleep near my money!)

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Daryl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm an "early accumulator". Low single digit growth, or even negative growth would be fine by me. I'll keep picking up shares at these prices. Over the next 25 - 35 years, I expect that equities will turn out OK.

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:42 pm

I just read something about a long term bull market today. <shrug>

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 8821
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by nedsaid » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:00 pm

freyj6 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm
People were predicting low returns going forward in mid 2013... S&P up 75% since then...
Well, I guess that means future expected returns will be even lower than predicted in 2013.

My guess is that Mr. Bogle expects P/E ratios to contract a bit over the next decade, which would of course be a drag on returns. We saw a pretty dramatic Price/Earnings ratio expansion in the 1990's, which is a big reason stock returns were so fantastic. The 2000's saw P/E contraction, which is why stock prices were more or less flat during that decade despite a doubling of corporate earnings.
A fool and his money are good for business.

columbia
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by columbia » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:09 pm

This is a US only prediction?

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by FIREchief » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:00 pm
freyj6 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm
People were predicting low returns going forward in mid 2013... S&P up 75% since then...
My guess is that Mr. Bogle expects P/E ratios to contract a bit over the next decade, which would of course be a drag on returns.
It won't be a drag on returns if the "contraction" is due to an increase in the denominator. That's clearly what the market is expecting (unless we buy into the idea that stock prices are established mostly by the greedy/ignorant unsophisticated investors and not the really really smart institutional investors).
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 8821
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by nedsaid » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:23 pm

FIREchief wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:00 pm
freyj6 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm
People were predicting low returns going forward in mid 2013... S&P up 75% since then...
My guess is that Mr. Bogle expects P/E ratios to contract a bit over the next decade, which would of course be a drag on returns.
It won't be a drag on returns if the "contraction" is due to an increase in the denominator. That's clearly what the market is expecting (unless we buy into the idea that stock prices are established mostly by the greedy/ignorant unsophisticated investors and not the really really smart institutional investors).
Yes, a contraction of P/E ratios will be a drag no matter what earnings do. Returns might still be positive but less than if there was no P/E contraction. Again, earnings were fantastic during the 2000's but the market was more or less flat during that decade because of P/E contraction. Investor expectations in the late 1990's were too high and what we saw were more realistic expectations during the 2000's.

I have posted quite often about my "four horsemen of underperformance." These were stocks that were market darlings during the 1990's that I purchased at "bargain" prices after the 2000-2002 bear market. These stocks were AIG, General Electric, Microsoft, and Pfizer. I thought they were relative bargains when I bought them but in retrospect were still overpriced. A classic result of investor expectations being too high. Believe me, I know all about P/E contraction. G/E once had a P/E of 45 as the market believed earnings were growing at 15% but probably in reality were growing at more like 8%. Shows what clever financial engineering can do. Coke was a similar story.
A fool and his money are good for business.

staythecourse
Posts: 5069
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by staythecourse » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:30 pm

emoore wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:03 pm
I think it's worth understanding the scenarios whereby you end up at 3% for a decade.

For example, if you average an 8% return for 9 of those years and have one year where the market is down by 1/3, you end up with a 3% CAGR.

That's not really a depressing combination of events--that's more like what we call "normal". Abnormal returns result when you go 10 years and don't have a significant bear market. Those happen too, but I would never plan my finances around it.
Bingo. With all the data and studies and real world experience pointing to no one consistently predicting the future out of the realm of dumb luck vs. skill why do folks fall so quickly for what anyone says. I wouldn't care if Mr. Bogle predicts 20% or -20% returns. He is no different in this respect then the fortune teller done the streets. I know on numerous other interviews after forcing such a prediction he has no problem saying he may be completely wrong.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

AlohaJoe
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Saigon, Vietnam

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by AlohaJoe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:42 pm

stlutz wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:52 pm
I think it's worth understanding the scenarios whereby you end up at 3% for a decade.

For example, if you average an 8% return for 9 of those years and have one year where the market is down by 1/3, you end up with a 3% CAGR.

That's not really a depressing combination of events--that's more like what we call "normal".
This made me wonder how often, in the historical data, we've seen a decade of real returns at 3%. I can't recall seeing numbers like that talked about very often, so I spent some time with https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/ to look....

I think most people have no idea how often real 10-year returns have been at or below Bogle's 3% number, so I made a color coded chart to show how things have been since 1950.

Image

Over that 58 year period, 27 of the periods have been at or below 3% real returns for the S&P 500. That's nearly a 50/50 split.

Of course, another way to look at the data is that they've only been red -- at or below 3% real -- during 3 of the 4 largest stock market crashes in world history.

It is also apparent that, unlike in the past, we've not yet had a "regime change" shift to a decade of good real returns. For Bogle to say we've in for another decade of low real returns would not only require another one of the largest stock market crashes in world history (that is, 3 of them in less than 2 decades) but that the stretch of 1998-2028 would be, by far, the worst 30 years to invest in US history, eclipsing the stagflation of the 1960s and 1970s.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 34335
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by nisiprius » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Vision wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:25 pm
Sorry, but 3% is [absolutely unacceptable --admin LadyGeek]. Nobody gets rich with 3% annual.

There must be alternatives. I dunno, buying condos, renovating them and renting them out will get you more than 3%.

Investing that money in some business venture will get you more than 3%.

5% would have been fine, but when it gets under that it is really not worth it. You are not getting rich with that
36 Obvious Investment Truths
#35. The market doesn’t owe you high returns just because you need them.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

visualguy
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by visualguy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Vision wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:25 pm
Sorry, but 3% is [absolutely unacceptable --admin LadyGeek]. Nobody gets rich with 3% annual.

There must be alternatives. I dunno, buying condos, renovating them and renting them out will get you more than 3%.

Investing that money in some business venture will get you more than 3%.

5% would have been fine, but when it gets under that it is really not worth it. You are not getting rich with that
I don't think it's reasonable to expect that investing in the entire stock market index will make you rich...

If you have the time, energy, and capital then I agree - you can do better with real estate. You can also have some in real estate and some in the stock market.

visualguy
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by visualguy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:12 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:42 pm
Over that 58 year period, 27 of the periods have been at or below 3% real returns for the S&P 500. That's nearly a 50/50 split.
So, if I'm retired and I get 3%/yr real over the next decade for the stock market, and 0% real for bonds, and I'm at 50/50, then my real return is 1.5% before tax (assuming no further investments or re-balancing). Pretty sad that half of 10-year periods have been like this or worse (at least on the stock side)...

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 2751
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:18 pm

It is not unusual to expect a minimum of a 6% "net" CAP on "Tightly run (no delegation)", non leveraged (no mortgage no loans) , R/E multi unit housing rentals in prime locations. Add property appreciation to this plus the advantage of deductions and depreciation. :D
Absolutely dominates that "like" 3% market return prediction.
But then, it is as full time business and a more than full time job when run this way. :shock:
Oh well.

User avatar
tetractys
Posts: 4587
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: Along the Salish Sea

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by tetractys » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Markets have been around in various forms based on similar principles for thousands of years now, haven’t they? What have they returned on average for all that time to the cautious investor, maybe 3 or 4 percent? Should we ever expect more? — Tet

david1082b
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by david1082b » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:42 pm
This made me wonder how often, in the historical data, we've seen a decade of real returns at 3%. I can't recall seeing numbers like that talked about very often, so I spent some time with https://dqydj.com/sp-500-return-calculator/ to look....

I think most people have no idea how often real 10-year returns have been at or below Bogle's 3% number, so I made a color coded chart to show how things have been since 1950.

Image

Over that 58 year period, 27 of the periods have been at or below 3% real returns for the S&P 500. That's nearly a 50/50 split.

Of course, another way to look at the data is that they've only been red -- at or below 3% real -- during 3 of the 4 largest stock market crashes in world history.
I used your link and got these yearly results after inflation:

Jan 2006 to Jan 2016: 4.447%
Jan 2004 to Jan 2014: 4.535%
Jan 2003 to Jan 2013: 4.744%

Seems more than 3%. Maybe you accidentally used the first number given by dqydj, it confusingly gives a "total return" EXCLUDING dividends first, then below that says "Annualized S&P 500 Return (Dividends Reinvested)", which is the actual total return.

Jan 1960 to Jan 1970 was 5.1% a year INCLUDING dividends, 1.8% WITHOUT dividends. Funny how the return gets better when you include dividends! Historically dividend payout ratios were much bigger than now, so the further you go back the more they matter and the more misleading prices are on their own.

One or two more: Jan 2007 to Jan 2017, 5.093% INCLUDING dividends, 2.905% EXCLUDING dividends,
Jan 1977 to Jan 1987: 7.924% including divs, 2.974% excluding divs.


Pretty annoying that DQYDJ falsely gives a "Total S&P 500 Return" without including dividends, a common fallacy, since total return by definition includes dividends. Even more bizarrely, below the calculator the site talks about unfair comparisons, while the calculator itself gives a confusing presentation, leading people to misunderstand returns.

carofe
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by carofe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:28 pm

I think Jack Bogle, Wareen Buffet and Vanguard all predict that we will see low return for the next decade.
10 years period return usually end up being very similar to what was predicted.

We will see how it goes after all and if it picks up after 10 years
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.

itstoomuch
Posts: 4823
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: midValley OR

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by itstoomuch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:58 pm

If I can beat the Index in my Discretionary Acct, regularly, or spectacularly, I'd be pleased.
Ymmv 🤗
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

User avatar
camillus
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by camillus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:04 am

Speaking as a total amateur, I think predicting markets is increasingly difficult as we seem to be (and hopefully are) on the verge of technological breakthroughs in transportation and energy that might disrupt a cascading number of industries and production. The rate of technological advance is more geometric than linear.

User avatar
FIREchief
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by FIREchief » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 am

Generally, when all the experts predict that stocks won't earn any more money.....they do. A lot!!! 8-)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 4472
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by JoMoney » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:48 am

FIREchief wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 am
Generally, when all the experts predict that stocks won't earn any more money.....they do. A lot!!! 8-)
Bogle isn't usually among the ranks of the bears, but the bears are usually the most vocal, and the most frequently wrong.
Whatever the market does, it seems to do what nobody thinks is going to happen (for better or worse).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

User avatar
mlebuf
Posts: 1789
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Paradise Valley, Arizona

Re: Bogle himself is saying we will expect like 3% for the next decades

Post by mlebuf » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:09 am

I pay absolutely no attention to market forecasts from anyone because they are almost always wrong, no matter whom the forecaster is.
We need to understand that nobody knows the future and prepare for the good, the bad and everything inbetween.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

Post Reply