How to securely send a fax

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SpideyIndexer

How to securely send a fax

Post by SpideyIndexer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Please forgive the dumb question, but this is more complicated than I expected.

Do I need to buy a fax machine to do this? i would like to fax some information to the IRS that contains account numbers and SSNs. It seems there are security issues with third party e-fax providers and with going to Kinko's or similar. Are there business centers where I can send the fax myself (and hope the machine or network does not store the scanned data.)

Perhaps I can purchase an external USB modem and use it with Windows e-fax tool. Our PC's no longer have internal modems. When I worked full-time, I had access to my employer's fax but no longer.....

RudyS

Re: How to securely send a fax

Post by RudyS » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:23 pm

My printer has fax capability. Do you have a friend you can trust who has such a machine? Or google for send fax near me and get a list of places like the UPS store, etc.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:23 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (fax).

I don't have one myself, but a usb fax modem seems the way to go.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

student

Post by student » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:49 pm

For non-sensitive fax, there are a number of possibilities given here. https://bebusinessed.com/online-fax/how-to-send-a-fax/

For sensitive info, I would just buy one for $38. https://www.amazon.com/Brother-LC01Y-Fa ... ax+machine