Soliciting personal recommendations for a Barcelona trip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
curmudgeon

Re: Soliciting personal recommendations for a Barcelona trip

Post by curmudgeon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Swampy wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm
We are due to arrive at El Prat within the week and will be spending time at a seaside resort just west of the city to get over the jet lag before proceeding to Andorra, then into France through the Pyrenees. After meandering through a number of stops, we are due to come back to Barcelona, staying in the Eixample district. The Eixample reservation is no longer refundable.

I am hoping that the situation simmers down by then, however if the situation heats up instead and SHTF inside the city, we'll plan accordingly and stay in the countryside until it's time to move on. We're due to hop on a boat out of Barcelona.

Trouble is, one doesn't necessarily know where a hot spot is until you get there - especially when you're in unfamiliar territory. I've been to far worse places and far worse situations than this, my family hasn't.

Here's another report from there: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/861 ... ence-video
I would make more of an effort in this case to ensure you have smartphone data access for this trip, either with a local sim or roaming plan. You may not know the best sites for local info, but it can still come in very handy if you have to do on-the-fly adaptations. News reports are all about selling news, so take them with a grain of salt. I would definitely avoid the area of the provincial government buildings (not much reason to go there). Now that some steam has been blown off, there is a reasonable chance that things will taper off for a while.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Swampy wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm
We are due to arrive at El Prat within the week and will be spending time at a seaside resort just west of the city to get over the jet lag before proceeding to Andorra, then into France through the Pyrenees. After meandering through a number of stops, we are due to come back to Barcelona, staying in the Eixample district. The Eixample reservation is no longer refundable.

I am hoping that the situation simmers down by then, however if the situation heats up instead and SHTF inside the city, we'll plan accordingly and stay in the countryside until it's time to move on. We're due to hop on a boat out of Barcelona.

Trouble is, one doesn't necessarily know where a hot spot is until you get there - especially when you're in unfamiliar territory. I've been to far worse places and far worse situations than this, my family hasn't.

Here's another report from there: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/861 ... ence-video
I would register with the closest US consulate/embassy. I would actually avoid going, but your mileage may vary.

denovo

Post by denovo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:07 pm

One thing that just popped in my head, the central government could try to squeeze Catalonia by cutting off all intl flights going in and out.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 am

denovo wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:07 pm
One thing that just popped in my head, the central government could try to squeeze Catalonia by cutting off all intl flights going in and out.
Not a chance. Much more likely that the Spanish air controllers will strike......again

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 am

I can't believe this is all going down. I'm scheduled to fly into Barcelona Oct 15 for a week to celebrate my 30th anniversary. Hopefully, this will blow over by then. I bought trip insurance through Steve Dasseos at the tripinsurancestore.com. I better give him a call to see if I'm covered in case this situation continues to go south.

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Packed and ready to hit the road, come what may.

I'm calculating that the media is magnifying the problem and blowing things way out of proportion.

If SHTF, contingency plans are in place, otherwise looking forward to a peaceful trip.

Bye.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. | Failure is not an option. | If I have seen further, it is because I was carried on the shoulders of giants.

AF_Engineer

Post by AF_Engineer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:21 pm

When we were in Barcelona about 13 years ago, we visited the Picasso Museum, and regretted it. Neither one of us care for or comprehend modern art (we like other more "traditional" art), and we thought perhaps we'd develop a better appreciation by going and checking the box. Didn't happen, and was a waste of time in our opinion. So if you like Modern Art, probably a great option. Otherwise, recommend saving the time/money to enjoy something else.