Selling burial plots in Alabama

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tamarind

Selling burial plots in Alabama

Post by Tamarind » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:53 am

As part of helping my mom simplify my grandmother's assets, I'm researching selling burial sites. Any tips from folks who have done this?

We have a deed for 8 sites in a perpetual care cemetery, in the name of my great-grandparents. Grandmother is the only surviving heir of her generation. The sites were purchased in 1959, and the deed even includes a racial "restrictive covenant". :shock: I'm assuming that's unenforceable and shouldn't hinder transfer. 2 of the sites are occupied and there is a family name monument and two footstones. The occupied sites are to the side of the plot but the monument is smack in the middle. Not sure if we'll have to move it.

We've established that the cemetery does not buy back sites so we need a private sale. We are working with the cemetery to establish list value of the empty sites.

What should our next steps be? Any caveats we should watch out for?

Flobes

Re: Selling burial plots in Alabama

Post by Flobes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:03 pm

We inherited burial plots, and donated them to a grateful faith-based organization.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Unless the cemetery is a desirable one in a high population area with limited burial spaces available, the plots probably aren't worth very much. What are similar plots purchased directly from the cemetery selling for? That's probably much more than you could get for them.

There is an accelerating trend towards cremation and plots not in high-demand locations seem to be difficult to sell. I have seen them listed in a local newspaper's free classified section for years.

So the amount you can get is probably not worth the trouble to sell them even if the cemetery allows you to divide the family plot, especially if you have to pay to have the monument moved. Perhaps someone in the family would want to be buried there?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Could you donate them to a local church to be given to some low-income church members? I just read a news article recently about how the number of cremations crossed the 50% threshold in the US last year for the first time ever. Decreasing demand for burial plots means they're not worth much.

not4me

Post by not4me » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:39 pm

I agree the sites may not be worth much, but it really depends. Many cemeteries are struggling now because labor costs have exceeded projections. So, may explain why they won't lay out cash to buy back. And it may depend on how much the family wants to divest itself of it. In some families, there can be disagreement over who "owns" & has the authority to set a price, etc. May be good to settle that sooner rather than later.

I'd probably start with a near &/or prominent funeral home. They may have ideas on approach, going price, etc. Also, let them know if you'd be willing to accept a discount over cemetery's "going" price...they may steer traffic

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm

There are brokers on line. Google for sell cemetery plots (or lots) or graves. But the previous posts may in truth be more useful for you.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm
Unless the cemetery is a desirable one in a high population area with limited burial spaces available, the plots probably aren't worth very much. What are similar plots purchased directly from the cemetery selling for? That's probably much more than you could get for them.
List price is $3000 per space. We are seeing listings in the same "block" for 30% below that. I believe the area is still in demand, as it's a historic cemetery founded around 1900.

I wish we had the luxury to donate to charity or just hold them. Per another thread we are liquidating my grandmother's assets to support her in assisted living. Even at a 50% discount to list these plots would support her for almost 6 months.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm surprised there's so little demand for burial plots. You'd think people would be dying to get in there.
Stay on target...

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:38 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:30 pm
I'm surprised there's so little demand for burial plots. You'd think people would be dying to get in there.
:beer

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (burial plots).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Levett

Post by Levett » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Americans are increasingly choosing cremation.

Lev

simple man

Post by simple man » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Really? That really burns me up!

donall

Post by donall » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:04 pm

In a local cemetery, inheritors sold plots through Craigslist. This particular cemetery no longer sold plots,so the plots sold for a good price. Since you have the deeds, check that the deeds match the cemetery's records. I would also have cemetery personnel check that the plots are really empty both physically through probing and with ground penetrating radar (if cemetery was mapped using this). Monuments often have foundations so explore how much the cost of relocating the monument may be as a new foundation may be necessary as well as removal of the old foundation.

Post by 123 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:13 pm

To compete against the cemetery's own inventory of lots it could be important to be aware of the cemetery's commission structure (if any) to their salespeople. If a counselor/salesperson can make more selling your lots (as a commission) then from the cemetery's own inventory they may be more inclined to make the advantages of your lots known to prospects. Advertising(web/newspaper) may be your primary option.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

retire57

Post by retire57 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 pm

We have 2 inherited plots to sell and the cemetery admins advised us that Craigslist is the way to go. That was a surprise. Unfortunately, they haven't sold yet but maybe you'll have better luck.