Weeklong vacation Thanksgiving

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OneWorld111

Weeklong vacation Thanksgiving

Post by OneWorld111 »

Hello BHs:

Any suggestions for vacation places from Dallas, Tx for 5-7 days with the exception of Florida and California. Been there few times. Family with 3 kids from ages between 1-8.

Air travel or road travel both ok.

Budget without airflights- $2k-$3k for hotels, activities, etc..

Thanks in advance
energy1923
adamthesmythe

Re: Weeklong vacation Thanksgiving

Post by adamthesmythe »

In Canada they don't have Thanksgiving at the same time, so nothing will be closed. Don't know if that matters to you. Vancouver is nice.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I hesitate to offer suggestions because these threads invariably have "but we've already done that" to the responses. But here goes anyway:

Road trip to Grand Canyon. White Sands & Carlsbad Caverns on the way/way back. Zion NP and Bryce NP are also within easy drives of the Grand Canyon. Do as much or as little as you have time for or interest in.
evancox10

Post by evancox10 »

Check out Travelzoo, they may have some deals. For example, $605 per person all inclusive stay in Cancun for 4 nights, including flights from Dallas, kids stay free. But only available every week BUT the week of Thanksgiving Don't know how flexible your travel times around Thanksgiving are.

Also you didn't say how much you'd be willing to spend on airfare, that's kind of an important detail considering it's a huge holiday weekend.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I try to avoid flying around the big holidays since a canceled flight or a missed connection can be hard to recover from especially since you would need to find five seats on the same plane. If you do decide to fly I would highly recommend trying to get direct flights just so there will be less chance of problems.

I would just look for a cabin on a lake somewhere that is only a few hours drive.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Watty wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:00 am I try to avoid flying around the big holidays since a canceled flight or a missed connection can be hard to recover from especially since you would need to find five seats on the same plane. If you do decide to fly I would highly recommend trying to get direct flights just so there will be less chance of problems.

I would just look for a cabin on a lake somewhere that is only a few hours drive.
+100. No way would I try to fly with kids that young during Thanksgiving week. It's very stressful, even if all the flights work out. I would also choose a cabin or resort near a national park, if they aren't booked (this is a short notice trip). How about Carlsbad Caverns with a detour north to Roswell just for alien kicks? Or how about Santa Fe?
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

Big Bend National and/or State Parks.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I would also suggest driving a few hours maximum and renting a cabin or camping in a park or natural area if it is possible to get reservations. It's a good time of the year for that in your part of the country and that would be less stressful than flying or driving long distances with three children. It's also a good experience for children and relaxing for adults and relatively inexpensive.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I'm a bit biased, but... how about Nashville? 8-)
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Watty wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:00 am I try to avoid flying around the big holidays since a canceled flight or a missed connection can be hard to recover from especially since you would need to find five seats on the same plane. If you do decide to fly I would highly recommend trying to get direct flights just so there will be less chance of problems.

+1000%......too risky....delays during major holidays can ruin an even well planned vacation. How about a Stay-cation? You can plan special events with and w/o the kids. A couple of evening out for dinner with DW, lots of stuff to do........and so much less stress!
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

energy2025 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:24 pm Hello BHs:

Any suggestions for vacation places from Dallas, Tx for 5-7 days with the exception of Florida and California. Been there few times. Family with 3 kids from ages between 1-8.

Air travel or road travel both ok.

Budget without airflights- $2k-$3k for hotels, activities, etc..

Thanks in advance
energy1923
If you're OK with spending an additional $2-3k on flights to Europe, a whole continent of options is available. Pick from Iceland, England, France, Germany, Italy ... heck, you might even visit Switzerland on that budget if you were to skimp a bit on the "eating out" part!
lovejoypeace

Post by lovejoypeace »

JupiterJones wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:58 am I'm a bit biased, but... how about Nashville? 8-)
We're going to Nashville over Thanksgiving!!! We have kids age 9 & 10 - right now they love old country music so we're hoping they will enjoy it!
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

aprilcpa wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 am
JupiterJones wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:58 am I'm a bit biased, but... how about Nashville? 8-)
We're going to Nashville over Thanksgiving!!! We have kids age 9 & 10 - right now they love old country music so we're hoping they will enjoy it!
Awesome! Some good threads floating around here on suggestions, if you haven't searched for them already.

Depending on how old you mean by "old country music", you'll probably want to make sure a visit to the Station Inn is on your list. :sharebeer
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

One idea
Broken Bow, OK -- great high-end cabins, lake, outside activities.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.