Millionaire Next Door (Thank you Bogleheads)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
B. Wellington

Millionaire Next Door (Thank you Bogleheads)

Post by B. Wellington »

With the help of many on this board and reminding me "to stay the coarse," Mrs. and Mr. B. Wellington quietly became the Millionaires Next door last month. Yes, a strong bull market helped us to this level.

Some of you know that we are not doctors or high paid engineers. We are Joe and Jane Lunchbox in blue collar positions who grew up in a small Midwestern town that most have never heard of.

This comes somewhat bitter-sweet, let me explain. My biggest supporter and "cheerleader," my mother, passed away last year. She often reminded me that at age 8 or 9 I said that I wanted to become a "millionaire" before I reached 50. I was 6 years late to the party, however she knew how hard I had worked and saved. She also knew I had (a few) investments.

We are very private people and to share this with others in the family or friends would be asking for trouble. The looks (we don't "fit" the millionaire myth.) Also the jealously, guilt trips etc. is not worth the pain it may cause.

So with that Bogleheads, please help me raise a glass in honor of my mom and help me quietly celebrate this milestone 48 years in the making...Cheers!

B. Wellington
highercall

Re: Millionaire Next Door (Thank you Bogleheads)

Post by highercall »

Congratulations to the club....thanks for sharing.
Slothmeister

Post by Slothmeister »

Cheers to you and your mom!
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Congrats!

Sorry to hear about your mother.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Congrats! I'm sure she would have been quite proud of your accomplishments!
gowest

Post by gowest »

I love this sort of story. I read that book many years ago (Millionaire Next Door), and it's always great to hear about someone who has successfully accomplished what the book describes (since, as you know from the book, you wouldn't otherwise be able to tell just by judging how someone looks or what car they drive, etc.). A very sincere congrats to you and the Mrs. Now keep at it.
:sharebeer
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Congratulations to you and your mother! :sharebeer Inspiring to hear stories like this. My condolences on your loss.
Have the book and still peruse it from time to time. The message never gets old.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Hero! Great work! :sharebeer
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

Fantastic! Any sage advice from your experience building the 7 figures in blue collar jobs, any stories on things that tried to derail your progress and how you navigated it?

I am sure mom is proud!
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 »

Congrats! You should be so proud!!

I would find it so hard to be keeping my financial situation a secret from family and close friends. I'm lucky because I don't need to. Our family is all in similiar circumstances. We thus can discuss strategies and investment advice. My friends at work have done work on my family's estate so they know what I have and I can have similiar discussions with them. My other friends are in situations where while I don't directly discuss it, I wouldn't be worried for them to know. They all are well off.

My brother has some in-laws ( not this wife's parents but her First cousins who she is very close to ) who are in a very difffernt situation. They almost lost their home last year. My brother was not going to let that happen and paid off their mortgage which was about 79K They were very grateful and said something to her mom like " wow are you sure. Does he have like hundreds of thousands of dollars ? We don't want to have them hurting .") My brother ( and his MIL) assured them he would be fine but was not going to tell them he has millions.
rg422

Post by rg422 »

Congrats!!

Posts like this keep us motivated. We're a long way from that number, but we're staying the course til we get there.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Congratulations! Hope you come back here in a few years and declare, 'I'm a multimillionaire.'.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Congratulations from a fellow "joe blue collar".
Doing it the tough way. You made it.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

Congratulations! I'm sure your mom is very proud, looking down at you. :beer

We also "live next door", and like you, can't talk about it. Well, I can with my sister--she also "lives next door". Our brothers have no clue.

When we hit the milestone, DH and I made a pact not to tell anyone. But a couple weeks ago, he confessed that he let it slip to his brother. Their mom died a couple months ago, and BIL mentioned that, when the inheritance came through, they'd each be millionaires. DH couldn't resist, and said that he already was. I don't really blame him, though--all his life, DH has been treated like the "stupid little brother", and BIL thought he was a big wheeler-dealer investor. Of course, BIL was always chasing trends, trying to time the market, etc., while we went the slow and steady route.
Fire2030

Post by Fire2030 »

Congratulations !!

Great story , your mum will be proud !! :sharebeer
onthecusp

Post by onthecusp »

Yay for the Wellington's! :sharebeer
Sounds like you started early as a smart investor. :P
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Congrats :sharebeer
Cheddarhead

Post by Cheddarhead »

Congratulations!

It is a wonderful feeling to see two commas in your investment account. I'm 53 now and hoping we can double it before I retire in seven years. Our secret was living below our means and investing at least 50% of every raise I received over a 20 year period. We started out small, $200/month, but it adds up over time and having good diligence for saving/investing.

Here's to Future Financial Freedom :sharebeer
TD2626

Post by TD2626 »

Congratulations - and this is how it's done! By quietly working hard, saving a lot, and investing wisely, nearly anyone can secure their financial future. It's great that you're one of the few to do this successfully!
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

Congratulations!

Out of curiosity, do you own shares of the VG Wellington fund?
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
bligh

Post by bligh »

Congratulations to you and the wife... and your mother. I am sure she is up there looking down upon you right now with pride in her eyes and a smile on her face.

Good job and keep at it! :) Best of luck!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Congratulations :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
2b2

Post by 2b2 »

Well done!
Congratulations to you and here's to your Mom!

2b2
retire57

Post by retire57 »

Yay!!! :beer

BTW, folks always refer to "The Millionaire Next Door", but rarely to Dr. Stanley's other researched-based work "Stop Acting Rich". The latter is an even more informative read, IMO.
Last edited by retire57 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Congratulations! :sharebeer
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Congratulations!

(It's great to have a place like this to anonymously celebrate milestones.)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

retire57 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm Yay!!! :beer

BTW, folks always refer to "The Millionaire Next Door", but rarely to Dr. Stanley's other researched-based work "Stop Acting Rich". The latter is an even more informative read, IMO.
Congrats to the OP, and thanks for the recommendation to retire57!

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Thanks for the book recommendation, I just bought Stop Acting Rich.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Congrats!!!

I'll have to look up Stop Acting Rich.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
dewey

Post by dewey »

Always great hearing the two comma news. Good for you!!!
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 »

:beer My mother had supported me in the same way, she is 3 years past.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Congratulations. The first million is the hardest... or so I've been told. One day.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

Congratulations! This is a great feeling and it's great that you can celebrate with fellow BHs. Keep staying the course and watch out for lifestyle creep. It's OK to celebrate a little though :sharebeer

It's a great reminder to me and others why we stay focused. Keep up the great work!
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
Johnsson

Post by Johnsson »

:sharebeer Congratulations!!!
'In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.' Yogi Berra
jmndu99

Post by jmndu99 »

Congratulations Op

Thank you for sharing with us fellow Bogle heads. The Mrs and I are also "lunchbox" (love that BTW).

Your story is inspiring.

James
retire57

Post by retire57 »

Ice-9 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Congrats to the OP, and thanks for the recommendation to retire57!

The author's findings and recommendations will keep a Boglehead motivated for sure! :happy
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

Well done! And thank you for sharing your story. Good stuff.

R.I.P. Mom
Funding secured
mattyfu1

Post by mattyfu1 »

Amazing and inspiring!! Thank you for the share - working my way !

Side note question: Entering the "Millionaire Next store" club :

-Is this a liquid million (cash, stocks) ?
-Can it also include real estate (paid off or not), trusts or other assets that are paid off?

Maybe there is no real definition, just wanted to ask.

Thanks!

-MattyFu
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Congrats on that great achievement. You're an inspiration to others who are working to achieve that second comma.

I have no doubt your Mom is up in Heaven, proudly bragging to anyone who will listen as she points at you and says "That's my son and he's a millionaire!".

Well done. You should be proud of your accomplishment.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

That's a lovely story, thanks for sharing.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Outstanding!!! :sharebeer

Sorry about your mother, but she did raise you well :happy
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Congratulation! Your story proves the point that you do not need high income in order to reach millionaire status.

I bought the book, "Millionaire Next Door" on clearance and gave them out regularly.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Compound

Post by Compound »

Well done and well said. Congratulations on passing the milestone you set so many years ago! :beer
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

dratkinson wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:36 pm Congratulations. The first million is the hardest... or so I've been told. One day.
Yes, the 2nd sneaks up on you.
All the Best, | Joe
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

B. Wellington wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:42 amSo with that Bogleheads, please help me raise a glass in honor of my mom and help me quietly celebrate this milestone 48 years in the making...Cheers!
Cheers! Here's to you doubling that amount - be it 7 years, 10 years, 12 years or whatever it takes.

Yes, brand of booze chosen appropriately for this toast. And yes, it's live as I type this.

"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
DriveMyPrius

Post by DriveMyPrius »

Congratulations! :happy
So sorry about the loss of your Mom. I miss mine terribly.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

B. Wellington wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:42 am With the help of many on this board and reminding me "to stay the coarse," Mrs. and Mr. B. Wellington quietly became the Millionaires Next door last month. Yes, a strong bull market helped us to this level.

Some of you know that we are not doctors or high paid engineers. We are Joe and Jane Lunchbox in blue collar positions who grew up in a small Midwestern town that most have never heard of.

This comes somewhat bitter-sweet, let me explain. My biggest supporter and "cheerleader," my mother, passed away last year. She often reminded me that at age 8 or 9 I said that I wanted to become a "millionaire" before I reached 50. I was 6 years late to the party, however she knew how hard I had worked and saved. She also knew I had (a few) investments.

We are very private people and to share this with others in the family or friends would be asking for trouble. The looks (we don't "fit" the millionaire myth.) Also the jealously, guilt trips etc. is not worth the pain it may cause.

So with that Bogleheads, please help me raise a glass in honor of my mom and help me quietly celebrate this milestone 48 years in the making...Cheers!

B. Wellington
Hi B. Wellington -

Congrats on your achievement and rest assured your Mom would be proud!

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

B. Wellington wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:42 am With the help of many on this board and reminding me "to stay the coarse," Mrs. and Mr. B. Wellington quietly became the Millionaires Next door last month. Yes, a strong bull market helped us to this level.

B. Wellington
P.S. Remember after one comes two!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
slowbutsteady

Post by slowbutsteady »

Congratulations!!...and thanks for sharing your inspiring story. Not an easy road, but shows the power of a clear goal, determination, and persistence.

You have made your mom proud too.
The tortoise wins every time I read that story.
pptiger

Post by pptiger »

Thanks for sharing...this made me call my mom

Congratulations!