New job offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
BV3273

New job offer

Post by BV3273 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Hello All!

I just got a new job offer and I'm going to take it. My question is should I fill out all the paperwork and get it back to the new company first and wait for the green light before I left my boss know or should I just tel my boss that I'm leaving now? I love my boss and don't want to leave him in a bind. The new company wants me to start on 10/16.

How would you handle this?

Thanks in advance!

Fallible

Re: New job offer

Post by Fallible » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:39 pm

BV3273 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm
Hello All!

I just got a new job offer and I'm going to take it. My question is should I fill out all the paperwork and get it back to the new company first and wait for the green light before I left my boss know or should I just tel my boss that I'm leaving now? I love my boss and don't want to leave him in a bind. The new company wants me to start on 10/16.

Thanks in advance!
What do you mean by "green light"? You've told the company you'll accept the job and the paperwork is just formality, right? If so, and since you'll be leaving fairly soon, I would tell your old boss right away, to give him time to begin finding a replacement.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:43 pm

I always told employers who wanted me to start right away that I had to give proper notice to my current employer and always did so. They might not know that you have a current job but if they do, it's a small red flag that they don't care whether or not you give proper notice. Did you ask them to start a week later so you can at least give two weeks notice? What does your current company's policy say about it?

You basically have to decide whether it is more important to start on October 16th or give your current employer sufficient notice. You can try to get the new employer to finalize the offer quickly and you could tell your current boss that you have an offer on the table and want to give as much notice as possible and that they want want you to start on the 16th but that it's not final yet and see what the response is. You should be prepared to respond to a counter-offer although I wouldn't suggest taking it if there is one.

Billionaire

Post by Billionaire » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:45 pm

What paperwork? Usually W-4 and benefits are selected and/or filled in, when you physically show up.
If there is other paperwork, the company should tell you when they want it. You'd be surprised to know the number of people who accept a job offer and don't show up on the specified date.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 pm

Don't give notice until you have a written commitment, including pay/benefits, from the new employer. Tell the new employer that you must give 2 weeks notice.

If they balk at either of these things, it is a red flag.

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm

I would give notice to your current employer today as a courtesy. Hopefully your current employer treated you well during your stay. If they walk you to the door you'll have some extra days off. I found it helpful to offer even a limited number of days to transition duties. Your soon to be former co-workers will likely have to pick up the load until a replacement is found and trained.

True story - my girlfriend gave notice to her employer many years ago. She started the new job and realized it was not a good fit. She was back at work with the old employer two months later and recently celebrated 26 years work anniversary.

ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 pm

I would not give notice to the current employer until you pass the physical, drug test, and background check with the new employer.

Then, two weeks notice is proper and appropriate. The new employer should understand that (if not, it would be a red flag).

oilrig

Post by oilrig » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:12 pm

ModifiedDuration wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 pm
I would not give notice to the current employer until you pass the physical, drug test, and background check with the new employer.

Then, two weeks notice is proper and appropriate. The new employer should understand that (if not, it would be a red flag).
This is the correct advice. DO NOT turn in your notice until you are notified that you have passed all new hire screening and have a start date confirmed. Also, always give a proper notice to your current employer as to not burn any bridges.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Green light = background check, drug check, etc... come back with no issues. I am not a criminal or drug user but I am super pessimistic these days (thank my wife for that).

I like my boss and he likes me and I definitely don't want to leave him on bad terms (I never burn a bridge).

The reason for the quick start is that they are having a meeting in my area where I live and the new boss wants me to meet the entire team.

This opportunity literally fell in my lap. I was interviewing for another position at my company just yesterday. I received an offer letter from the new company today.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:22 pm

BV3273 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:17 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

Green light = background check, drug check, etc... come back with no issues. I am not a criminal or drug user but I am super pessimistic these days (thank my wife for that).

I like my boss and he likes me and I definitely don't want to leave him on bad terms (I never burn a bridge).

The reason for the quick start is that they are having a meeting in my area where I live and the new boss wants me to meet the entire team.

This opportunity literally fell in my lap. I was interviewing for another position at my company just yesterday. I received an offer letter from the new company today.
Why not agree to attend the meeting but give your old boss two weeks notice around the meeting?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:37 pm

BV3273 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm
Hello All!

Thanks in advance!
Paperwork and green light, and meeting, lst.
Anything, no matter the odds, can happen.
Until then, tell nobody.
If your old boss and you are on good terms he will understand when you apologize for not having an earlier heads up.
Better safe than . . . . . . :oops:

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:57 pm

oilrig wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:12 pm
ModifiedDuration wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 pm

This is the correct advice. DO NOT turn in your notice until you are notified that you have passed all new hire screening and have a start date confirmed. Also, always give a proper notice to your current employer as to not burn any bridges.
+ 1
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:20 pm

delamer wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Why not agree to attend the meeting but give your old boss two weeks notice around the meeting?
+1 Just take a personal day or half-day off for that meeting.

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Great feedback people! I am going to submit everything and wait for the results to come back, then let my boss know.

Like I said I have the written offer letter in hand.

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:34 am

delamer wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:22 pm

Also agree with this - I would want everything secured with the new job before giving notice. I assume you have some vacation at the current place; I'd take a day to attend this meeting, but wouldn't allow it to accelerate your timeline.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm sure company policies differ. At mine, attending a meeting as a representative of the company while not working there yet would be unlikely.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

beehappy

Post by beehappy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:48 pm
I'm sure company policies differ. At mine, attending a meeting as a representative of the company while not working there yet would be unlikely.
Why would he need to attend as a representative? Couldn't he simply attend as a guest/visitor of the company?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:18 pm

beehappy wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:52 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:48 pm
Why would he need to attend as a representative? Couldn't he simply attend as a guest/visitor of the company?
We don't normally have those at our meetings. Everyone is someone connected with the meeting.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.