Equifax customer information leak

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
DiggleRex

Re: Equifax customer information leak

Post by DiggleRex » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:56 pm

benevo wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Hmmm! I'll have to confirm, that's a great question. No, didn't do a freeze yet - knew I'd be setting up a new cell account and didn't want to unfreeze. I'm in a state where it's free to freeze but not unfreeze, so figured I'd wait. Now that account is setup, I'm not sure what to do!
All the websites promote that you only have to place fraud alert with 1 bureau and it gets forwarded to the other two, but clearly there are glitches. Chances are the cell company only pulled 1 of the 3, so possibly they pulled one that didn't have the fraud alert, or it did and they didn't notice it or ignored it. I'm not sure what they see on their end, by when I look at my own reports that have fraud alerts, I find them pretty easy to miss. I'm with you, though, I haven't done freezes yet (I plan to); this is all so new to me, so I am trying to be careful about what steps I take.

Update: So here's an example of them royally screwing up, and I have no idea how to get this resolved. Long story short, I placed my alert with Experian on 9/11. It was forwarded to TransUnion but not Equifax. On 9/26, I called Equifax, and they said since they didn't see it, they would place one for me. But they didn't ask for my phone number. I just got something odd from Experian in the mail that prompted me to call them. What happened was Equifax forwarded the alert without my phone number to the other two agencies, and it overrode the original one, so now I have three fraud alerts without a phone number, so a creditor can't even contact me. Useless.

benevo

Post by benevo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:47 pm

DiggleRex wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:56 pm
benevo wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Hmmm! I'll have to confirm, that's a great question. No, didn't do a freeze yet - knew I'd be setting up a new cell account and didn't want to unfreeze. I'm in a state where it's free to freeze but not unfreeze, so figured I'd wait. Now that account is setup, I'm not sure what to do!
All the websites promote that you only have to place fraud alert with 1 bureau and it gets forwarded to the other two, but clearly there are glitches. Chances are the cell company only pulled 1 of the 3, so possibly they pulled one that didn't have the fraud alert, or it did and they didn't notice it or ignored it. I'm not sure what they see on their end, by when I look at my own reports that have fraud alerts, I find them pretty easy to miss. I'm with you, though, I haven't done freezes yet (I plan to); this is all so new to me, so I am trying to be careful about what steps I take.

Update: So here's an example of them royally screwing up, and I have no idea how to get this resolved. Long story short, I placed my alert with Experian on 9/11. It was forwarded to TransUnion but not Equifax. On 9/26, I called Equifax, and they said since they didn't see it, they would place one for me. But they didn't ask for my phone number. I just got something odd from Experian in the mail that prompted me to call them. What happened was Equifax forwarded the alert without my phone number to the other two agencies, and it overrode the original one, so now I have three fraud alerts without a phone number, so a creditor can't even contact me. Useless.
RIDICULOUS. This needs to be fixed!

DiggleRex

Post by DiggleRex » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:51 pm

I have no idea how now. Because in the letter I just got from Experian, it says that any additional requests for fraud alerts received by any of the agencies within the first 60 days of placing one, will be disregarded. But that wasn't true in this case! I already had successful ones with Experian And Transunion, and somehow Equifax added one--without my phone number--and it overrode the other two. I'm at a loss for what to do.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:54 pm

benevo wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:06 pm
I have an alert on my account - supposed to get a phone call verifying before accounts are opened - opened a new cell account, no call.
I did that 2-3 years back. Went to buy a truck and take out a loan. I fully expected to get a 'phone call' but never did. Ford dealer.

:?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:39 pm

There are plenty of examples, including the past few posts, that demonstrate that a Fraud Alert can be pretty useless, and often simply ignored.

You need to Freeze you account at all of the CRAs. If you delay since you plan to apply for credit soon, you are simply taking a chance. You might be better served planing to lift your freeze for that creditor rather than fooling yourself into thinking a Fraud Alert will protect your credit.

learning_head

Post by learning_head » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:58 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:39 pm
You might be better served planing to lift your freeze for that creditor rather than fooling yourself into thinking a Fraud Alert will protect your credit.
When I went to unfreeze at Equifax for one creditor, I realized that Equifax does not seem to indicate for HOW LONG that creditor would be unfrozen.
So I ended up unfreezing for ALL creditors based on time instead.

I think I saw one agency allowing unfreeze for a given entity for duration of time I specify, but either I did not go far enough in Equifax process or that option is simply not there.

Another agency provided a pin that you have to give to a creditor and I heard people reporting it's supposed to be a 1-time-use pin (which, of course, the institution would then have to know how to use) - what happens if they never use it? Will that pin forever remain "out there" for someone to use once?...

If someone has details / experience on how to unfreeze just 1 creditor for a limited time at Equifax, would love to hear about it.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 am

Equifax, under fire for data breach, wins $7.25 million contract from IRS

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/equ ... tract-irs/

The Internal Revenue Service signed a $7.25 million contract with Equifax last month. The no-bid contract...is for Equifax to provide the IRS with taxpayer and personal identity verification services. The contract stated that Equifax was the only company capable of providing these services to the IRS, and it was deemed a “critical” service that couldn’t lapse.

aqan

Post by aqan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:06 am

F150HD wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 am

The Internal Revenue Service signed a $7.25 million contract with Equifax last month. The no-bid contract...is for Equifax to provide the IRS with taxpayer and personal identity verification services. The contract stated that Equifax was the only company capable of providing these services to the IRS, and it was deemed a “critical” service that couldn’t lapse.
They're providing our info to the hackers why noy IRS.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:53 am

F150HD wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 am

Having done government contracts before, the wording on a no-bid contract for IT services is usually fluff to meet the regulatory guidelines for a no-bid contract. Unless there's a very specific sector of IT that is needed for the work, there is usually more than one company that could do the work (although there may not be multiple companies who WANT to do the work). It's not like hardware, where you might need a no-bid contract because that is the only company that can manufacture the goods or it was the company used in the past and you want the new stuff to match the old stuff.

My cynical side says the translation of their no-bid fluff wording is this: Equifax was the only company who agreed to meet our low price point for the project. Rather than ask why no other company was willing to do the work at this price point or whether this price point was realistic for the project, we went with the company that said they could do it at this price point.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Please stay on-topic, which are the personal financial aspects of the Equifax leak. General rants about their business contracts are off-topic.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 am

I just signed up for letter notification with the US Post Office and they used Equifax to ID me so a freeze or lock makes life difficult. The easy and right thing would be to let one pull a complete credit report once a day instead of once a year for free. Problems solved.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:04 pm

I removed an off-topic post and reply related to the Equifax congressional hearings. This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, no added value to continue). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.