RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 11:00 AM Sat September 9, 2017 (NOT August 26, 2017)

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Steve Thorpe

RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 11:00 AM Sat September 9, 2017 (NOT August 26, 2017)

Post by Steve Thorpe » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Hello RTP Boglehead® friends,

(Due to scheduling conflicts the meeting formerly scheduled for August 26, 2017 is being postponed to September 9, 2017)

Meeting 27 of the Research Triangle Park Bogleheads® has been scheduled for 11:00 AM Saturday September 9, 2017 at Durham's Satisfaction Restaurant where interested 'heads can order pizza and beers to enjoy during our meeting. Our last couple meetings were at the same venue and they worked out excellently, so we're having a repeat.

See below for directions and please let me know if you expect to join us so I can plan accordingly. Hope to see you there!

Satisfaction Restaurant's private meeting room
Brightleaf Square
905 W Main St #37
Durham, NC 27701
(919) 682-7397
(See the Satisfaction web page for a map)

Just FYI, after most of the previous meetings I posted a short summary... in case these are of interest, please check towards the end of these topics:
Also FYI I set up a Master Thread for RTP, North Carolina Bogleheads Chapter forum topic that you may wish to subscribe to... I'll try to remember to post a reminder of future RTP Bogleheads meetings to that topic.

Finally for those local 'heads not already on the list, I set up a Yahoo "rtpbogleheads" email list for our local chapter. Please consider joining the list to help our chapter communications (see below for joining details). From the group's description:
Welcome to the yahoo group of the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina Area Bogleheads Chapter. The Bogleheads are an investing and personal finance interest group inspired by the example of Jack Bogle, the founder of the Vanguard mutual fund company.

This list is primarily to foster easy communications among our local chapter members, in particular regarding reminders and logistics on upcoming meetings which we hope to hold approximately quarterly. All are encouraged to continue use the national forum (bogleheads.org) for most postings.

Please stick to the spirit of the national chapter's forum policies and etiquette: basically, keep to investing topics and stay away from politics. Further details on posting etiquette can be found here: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405

Initially this list will be configured to allow through all member postings in an un-moderated fashion, though adjustments may be made later as deemed appropriate by the list manager.

If you're interested to know of other local Boglehead chapters, please see the Google Map maintained by Mel Lindauer at http://www.lostsprings.com/diehards/chapters/

Thank you!

Steve Thorpe
RTP Area Bogleheads Chapter Organizer
rtpbogleheads Yahoo Group Addresses are:

Code: Select all

Subscribe:          rtpbogleheads-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Post message:       rtpbogleheads@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe:        rtpbogleheads-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner:         rtpbogleheads-owner@yahoogroups.com
Group home page:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rtpbogleheads
Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about yahoo group logistics.

Best wishes.
Steve Thorpe

Steve Thorpe

Re: RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 11:00 AM Sat September 9, 2017 (NOT August 26, 2017)

Post by Steve Thorpe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:13 am

Hi RTP Boglehead friends,

Just posting a reminder that our next meeting is 11 AM Sat Sept 9 (Not tomorrow). Hope to see you on the 9th!

Thanks.
Steve Thorpe

Steve Thorpe

Re: RTP, NC Chapter Meeting 11:00 AM Sat September 9, 2017 (NOT August 26, 2017)

Post by Steve Thorpe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi Boglehead friends,

We had an enjoyable meeting yesterday with a nice mix of returning and new members, around 15 total. Thanks to all who attended!

Here are a few topics we discussed:

* Investing early and often, having a plan and sticking to it
* Reaching "your number" and how/whether to dial back risk
* Professor Ed Tower's research on Vanguard's International fund offerings and predicting returns from investing in the US, Europe, Asia and Emerging Markets
* If you take some risk off the table, which table do you move that risk to?
* William Bernstein's (?) statement that "If you've won the game, you don't need to keep playing it"
* Suggestions on how best to help a spouse prepare to take over the family finances in case the other spouse passes.
* Having a "play money account"
* The American Association of Individual Investors (AAAI)
* Muni vs. Taxable bonds, Taxable vs. Tax-Advantaged accounts, what and when to hold which type of bond in which account?
* Geo-political risks
* Mr. Money Mustache
* Being sure to enjoy every day! e.g. if you have the opportunity to have a Guinness at Satisfaction's Restaurant - go for it! :)
* Bitcoin and money laundering
* Is it risky to hold everything at Vanguard? Could Vanguard get "Equifaxed"?
* Freezing your credit
* Setting up your bank and credit accounts to notify you of all transactions
* The Department of Labor's Fiduciary Rule
* etc.

Of course this list is only a sampler - you had to be there to enjoy the fun! So for those who weren't able to make it this time, I hope you can join us at the next meeting.

All best!
Steve Thorpe

happytooth09

Post by happytooth09 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:27 am

I have recently gotten into the Mr Money Mustache blog. I'm about a year into his postings and would love to hear what you all had to say about him.

Accrual

Post by Accrual » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Dang! Wish I would have seen this. Maybe next time!