That blank stare... ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Johnsson

That blank stare... ?

Post by Johnsson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:18 am

Does anyone else get that blank stare from their spouse when you say two words about investing? My DW cares not one little bit about what is done with our money. I make all changes to accounts (including her 401k) because otherwise it wouldn't get done. She assumes than retirement magically happens when we get old enough. I talk about retiring early, and again, the blank stare.

It gets soooo frustrating to have no one to discuss these matters with. Thank God for Bogleheads!!

bampf

Re: That blank stare... ?

Post by bampf » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:22 am

Its actually worse than a blank stare. She really has no idea and doesn't want any idea. It baffles me but, there you go...

KESP

Post by KESP » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:28 am

That's the same thing that happens to me when I talk to my husband. When we had $100,000, he thought we had plenty of money for retirement. He truly doesn't care.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:35 am

My dad is like that (no idea and doesn't care), and my folks have been married for 60 years. So I guess it's not a show stopper. My mom doesn't really seem to mind that he doesn't care - but she has had a long time to get used to it.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:36 am

I can honestly say my wife is very appreciative that I take care of the investing. We discuss it only occasionally as I even get bored talking about it most of the time.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:41 am

I'd take the blank stare. My wife starts crying like I just told her I have a terminal illness and will die tomorrow.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 am

My wife also is not at all interested trusting me to handle our investments. She wants to know we have "enough" for retirement but not the details.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:52 am

I really don't understand not wanting to know. Money is critical tolifestye. If spouse with knowledge dies, then spouse with little knowledge becomes a target.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:53 am

You don't have to understand it, you just have to accept it and plan accordingly.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:54 am

I'm a boglehead because I don't care to talk or think about investing! 3-fund, set it and forget it. It's not at all interesting to me to dig any deeper than that, so I understand the blank stare point of view.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 am

This is a frequent topic on Bogleheads, but I never get tired of reading family financial managers' comments, which often come from females as well as from males.

In my case our Vanguard (main accounts) and Fidelity (wife's retirement accounts) reps know that whenever they ask me to bring my wife on the phone to OK my pending actions in her accounts they will hear her grumbling in the background before she comes on the line.

However, she does appreciate that someone in our family is worrying about our finances. Also, she does pay all our monthly bills, expecting me to make sure there is a sufficient balance in our checking account. However, she has never completed an income tax form or her annual employee benefits election form.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 am

Frisco Kid wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 am
My wife also is not at all interested trusting me to handle our investments. She wants to know we have "enough" for retirement but not the details.
Same, my wife is very appreciative of my handling our investments, she is even more appreciative when I handle the investments silently. She just wants to know if what if anything she needs to change anything (i.e. spend less, change 401K contribution, etc.) otherwise she sort of figures we will have what we have in retirement and whatever that is we will make work. To her our savings are a function of our income and our good fortune of having 2 good jobs and steady employment, not some great accomplishment worthy of a Nobel prize. I think she has a very healthy perspective on money and will likely be very pleasantly surprised when we retire.
Run, You Clever Boy! 8723

Markov

Post by Markov » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:06 am

Johnsson wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:18 am
Does anyone else get that blank stare from their spouse when you say two words about investing? My DW cares not one little bit about what is done with our money. I make all changes to accounts (including her 401k) because otherwise it wouldn't get done. She assumes than retirement magically happens when we get old enough. I talk about retiring early, and again, the blank stare.

It gets soooo frustrating to have no one to discuss these matters with. Thank God for Bogleheads!!
+1

David Scubadiver

Post by David Scubadiver » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 am

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:53 am
You don't have to understand it, you just have to accept it and plan accordingly.
Exactly why I am looking at the robos!

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:52 am
I really don't understand not wanting to know. Money is critical tolifestye. If spouse with knowledge dies, then spouse with little knowledge becomes a target.
My spouse has just asked I leave a list of account locations (no account numbers) and any instructions in our safety deposit box. She is a very smart woman and little would actually need to be done anyway. If she left everything exactly like it is she would be more than fine. I would think this would be true of virtually anyone who is more or less using a 3 fund portfolio. It isn't rocket science, it is more putting one foot in front of the other and repeating. I think a lot of us get frustrated because we want it to be looked at like rocket science and admired by our spouses.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:13 am

bampf wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:22 am
Its actually worse than a blank stare. She really has no idea and doesn't want any idea. It baffles me but, there you go...
Ditto here, gives her a headache around the third word.

CnC

Post by CnC » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:18 am

Johnsson wrote:

Are you kidding I love that blank stare.

My wife is brilliant, she makes loads of money and takes care of all the day to day running of the house and finances.

I "handle" all our investments. While most of my handling is just making her feel ok about not sitting on $50,000 in cash I get all the credit for our retirement fund growing despite the fact I explained that we are trying to be the market and not best it and that if the stock market tanks we will lose money.

:mrgreen: despite her contributing at least half of our retirement funds she has already told me that if we retire at 45(need a typical market) or 55 (need the space 500 to average 5% rather than 10) rather than the typical 62 or 67 it will be 100% my doing.

BlackStrat

Post by BlackStrat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:19 am

If the money runs out, you can be sure that'll get their FULL attention!

gd

Post by gd » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:19 am

That was one reason I bought a variable annuity for my spouse decades ago as one piece of our overall financial planning, with written instructions about deploying it for a trouble-free lifetime pension. I don't care that it is a suboptimal investment for a financial hobbyist.

keystone

Post by keystone » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:22 am

That's the way it is in my household. My wife has no interest in anything money related, so I take care of everything financial. I have login access to her accounts and do it all (setup beneficiaries, contributions amounts, allocations, etc.). Other than the fear of how she would manage without me, I don't mind this at all. I have total confidence that we're contributing enough and investing wisely. :happy

I just look at it as part of the dynamic of our relationship. We each bring something to the table that the other does not have. It balances itself out in other ways.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am

BlackStrat wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:19 am
If the money runs out, you can be sure that'll get their FULL attention!
Really, that is the way you want to approach this with your spouse?

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:36 am

This is very helpful and timely for me right now. I have been hesitant to do anything with a smallish inheritance of my husband that has just been sitting in a local money market. I have asked my husband to just be part of the big picture decision making and I will take care of the execution. He basically agrees immediately to any suggestion and tells me he trusts me. Guess I should stop waiting and move forward.

A couple of years ago, his workplace was switching retirement plan providers and options. We met with one of the provided financial advisers. I thought that maybe an outside person would lead to more involvement on my husband's part. Instead, the first comment from DH was that I knew more than the advisor. Sadly, it seemed to be true despite what I consider to be a very basic only understanding on my part.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:39 am

My DW is perfectly content to let me handle all the finances. She works in accounting so she generally understands the stuff just doesn't want to be bothered. She is generally appreciative but on occasion she will utter something "we only have X million????!!" as if money just grew on trees. She did recently listen to a planet money podcast about index funds and was puzzled as to why we still have some active funds (which I am selectively paring over time). I'd rather her listen to that than the AM radio sales pitches for "life settlements" or "guaranteed return" annuity type products that she would quiz me on in the past. Thankfully she has enough trust in me that I can do as I see fit. If I were hit by the proverbial bus she is certainly capable of managing the finances, I just don't know if she may get distracted by the latest shiny object.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:40 am

I can echo the same complaint. My wife only cares if there is enough in the account to buy whatever she wants at that time. However, after knowing her more and more during our marriage she is a procrastinator so am not surprised her interest in retirement (20+ years away) is not on her radar.

However, I did finally guilt her on having a once a year walk through of all our investments in case I die suddenly and someone needs to know since we have 2 small kids. If that fits your bill you may try that avenue. It is all about Baby steps.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:42 am

I don't get the blank stare...i get the snap of the head when making a statement about state of the finances, as if in utter amazement or perhaps shock...depending on how the markets have been behaving :?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 am

KESP wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:28 am
That's the same thing that happens to me when I talk to my husband. When we had $100,000, he thought we had plenty of money for retirement. He truly doesn't care.
If you were 25 when you made that statement, I can see your husband's point. On the other hand, if you were 64.......
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 am

My wife wasn't too interested in investing except for the thought that we should consult with a financial advisor. Then she spent some time and effort getting an online MBA which included an investments course. Thankfully her courses steered her in the direction of Charles Ellis, "the less the fee the more for me," Burt Malkiel, and others advocating low fee index funds. Now she is comfortable with the Boglehead do it yourself approach.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:02 am

I have a penchant for numbers,saving,investing.
My wife is thankful that I do.
She is like-minded over the decades,frugal ,save.
I handle the investing .
Occasionally we will sit together and I show her our "status" in Quicken.
Teamwork :wink: :wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 am

Somewhere there is a forum where spouses are posting to a thread "Why won't my spouse stop telling me about our retirement plan". One of the posts says "My spouse tells me we have this thing called an IPS, an asset allocation and will do great if we just keep making regular contributions and take what the market gives. He hangs out on this forum called Bogleheads where they recommend using a 3 fund portfolio and talk about not peaking at your portfolio and only taking 30 minutes a year to manage your investments. It all sounds wonderful and straightforward. What I don't understand is why they want to tell me about this every month, why they want to discuss changes to our AA and something called tilting. Frankly they are wearing me out with all these small meaningless adjustments. But I just grin and tell them how thankful I am for their handling of the finances. Good gosh I wish they would just set it and forget it so we could take care of some projects around the house."

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:19 am

I don't have it with my wife, thankfully. She's happy to sit down once a year and go over investments and will have an engaging conversation if I propose something. But other family, hoo boy

Sister is all but broke, and has a few thousand sitting in a 401k from her first job - it was opt-out, not opt-in, bless them. Downside is that it's in a money market account. Been trying for 8 years to get her to invest it, no dice. And she complains about not having any money...I pointed out that for an hour's work 8 years ago (that I offered to help her with) to roll to Vanguard and invest in a stock market index, she'd have an extra 7,000 bucks right now from the growth. Blank stare

Dad just has zero grasp or initiative with finances, and got talked into whole life insurance by his wife's Ameriprise advisor. I asked him why he needed life insurance when they were both retired and had no dependents and no debts, just got a blank stare. Ugh

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:52 am
My spouse has just asked I leave a list of account locations (no account numbers) and any instructions in our safety deposit box. She is a very smart woman and little would actually need to be done anyway. If she left everything exactly like it is she would be more than fine. I would think this would be true of virtually anyone who is more or less using a 3 fund portfolio. It isn't rocket science, it is more putting one foot in front of the other and repeating. I think a lot of us get frustrated because we want it to be looked at like rocket science and admired by our spouses.
I think everyone should write a "In case of emergency, read this" letter. Then make sure that your spouse does read it once in awhile and follow the directions to pay a credit card bill or look at the brokerage account to see how much is in it.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:37 am

I sit down with DW several times a year, and go over an investment asset spreadsheet and our expenses YTD. When I call Vanguard I have her on the call, so she's comfortable talking with them. When I do a transaction I have her watch (I ask her to do transactions, but she often defers).

I have a notebook that contains tabs for all our accounts, and a multi-page summary document that could be reviewed by an accountant or financial advisor.

She purports to be interested, and cooperates, but I always have the feeling that she'd prefer to be keel hauled.

I've told her many times, if I drop dead hire Vanguard to be your financial advisor. Hope she remembers that :happy

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 am

pennstater2005 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:36 am
I can honestly say my wife is very appreciative that I take care of the investing. We discuss it only occasionally as I even get bored talking about it most of the time.
Yep, exactly. I can read Bogleheads for a while at my desk before I get bored, but when I start talking out loud about investing/personal finance/money I get bored in like 5-10 minutes. That's why we take the postcard approach to our finances, so we can keep it simple and the conversations light and quick. :sharebeer

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:58 am

Johnsson wrote:

Yes!

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:45 am

Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 am
pennstater2005 wrote:
Yep, exactly. I can read Bogleheads for a while at my desk before I get bored, but when I start talking out loud about investing/personal finance/money I get bored in like 5-10 minutes. That's why we take the postcard approach to our finances, so we can keep it simple and the conversations light and quick. :sharebeer
You are a wise and probably happily married man.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:51 am

Plenty of blank stares. She doesn't understand or want to understand investing. She only wants to know that we have enough.

I have prepared a list of accounts, a list of passwords, an investment policy statement, and a to-do list in case of my demise. We have wills and durable powers of attorney. The portfolio is fairly simple, just 5 funds, which I plan to simplify over the next few years. We are currently age 72.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:57 am

Do we need a "support group for spouses of Bogleheads" sub-forum?

Liveware Problem

Post by Liveware Problem » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 am

keystone wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:22 am
That's the way it is in my household. My wife has no interest in anything money related, so I take care of everything financial. I have login access to her accounts and do it all (setup beneficiaries, contributions amounts, allocations, etc.). Other than the fear of how she would manage without me, I don't mind this at all. I have total confidence that we're contributing enough and investing wisely. :happy

I just look at it as part of the dynamic of our relationship. We each bring something to the table that the other does not have. It balances itself out in other ways.
This! Exactly like our arrangement :sharebeer, keeps us both happy.
equiv-tech

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:09 am

Johnsson wrote:
Does anyone else get that blank stare from their spouse when you say two words about investing?
My wife ignores almost everything I say no matter what the subject is.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:11 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:45 am
Texanbybirth wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 am
pennstater2005 wrote:
You are a wise and probably happily married man.
The latter is thankfully true, the former is utter nonsense. :D
TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 am
I think a lot of us get frustrated because we want it to be looked at like rocket science and admired by our spouses.
This made me lol.

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:13 am

It's interesting. My wife does the taxes, tracks our spending, and pays the bills, but spends zero time worrying or thinking about the bigger picture stuff (investing, retirement, asset allocation, etc.) I do all of that. I have to sit her down every once in a while and explain to her what we are doing and why, not only in case of my own demise, but also I genuinely want her "buy in" to what we are doing. It's not easy to engage her on this, which I find kind of funny considering how involved she is in the day-to-day financial management of our life.

Curlyq

Post by Curlyq » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am

I'd rather get a blank stare, than my ex's response. He wanted to liquidate it and "live large."

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:23 am

Curlyq wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am
I'd rather get a blank stare, than my ex's response. He wanted to liquidate it and "live large."
Donuts would do that for less.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

BostonButterfly

Post by BostonButterfly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am

My frustration with my spouse is that she states very strongly that she does not want to work past 58. But then she just assumes that because we save a good bit of money, that there will magically be enough to retire at 58 when the time comes. I have taken it on myself to figure out how much we will need, and how we get from here to there. It has been a long process, including firing a "financial advisor" and taking control of everything with the wonderful resource known as Bogleheads! I now have things very organized and simplified, but it continues to be a struggle to have her engaged in the process. She always falls back on the old "I trust you. You know more about this stuff than I do. It will be fine." For both our sake, I hope she is right!

kalrocmk

Post by kalrocmk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am

I am glad to find out that I am not the only one who gets that reaction from my lovely wife. But as I get older, she seems to be coming around and starting to pay more attention. I think that reality is sinking in that I may not be around forever. Yesterday, she voluntarily went to a workshop at her office regarding retirement planning.
Just trying to make a living

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:27 am

BostonButterfly wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am
My frustration with my spouse is that she states very strongly that she does not want to work past 58. But then she just assumes that because we save a good bit of money, that there will magically be enough to retire at 58 when the time comes. I have taken it on myself to figure out how much we will need, and how we get from here to there. It has been a long process, including firing a "financial advisor" and taking control of everything with the wonderful resource known as Bogleheads! I now have things very organized and simplified, but it continues to be a struggle to have her engaged in the process. She always falls back on the old "I trust you. You know more about this stuff than I do. It will be fine." For both our sake, I hope she is right!
A possible cure to that is to say fine just understand, nobody retires until everybody retires.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:31 am

It started out that way, but not anymore.

My spouse even fought me on contributing to retirement pans, it as she wanted to buy a house.
We invested the minimum in my employer's plan to get the match, and that was all.

After getting a house, and paying off school loans, I push to max Roth IRAs for each of us.
As we got older, and the retirement money grew, my spouse became more interested.

As I got raises, half of each raise went to increasing my retirement account. It is now maxed out.
I convinced my wife to put as much into hers as she can as well.

We still got 2 kids through college, made improvements to the house (contributing much if the labor)
and have traveled, which she enjoys.

She is looking forward to retirement.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:34 am

Johnsson wrote:

Far worse than a blank stare. :shock:
DW will sit patiently, or stand and refuse to sit, as I "share" (update) progress on selling off my R/E investments and holdings, and how our portfolio is evolving, what the recent returns %% are, how they are meeting our expectations, how I need to adjust our withdrawal percentages, ad infinitum, ad nauseuuum.
At some point DW will be mentally exhausted and say. . . "enough. . this feels like work". . and walk away.
So I have resolved not to share at depth unless asked. :oops:

We are retired.
DW is absolutely enjoying retirement. :D
I am a retired businessman who loves business and the business of business.
Retirement is an acquired taste.

FWIW I get blank stares :shock: from close friends when I share my "interest in Boglehead investment finance concepts". . so I don't do that anymore.

Thank goodness for Bogleheads. :D

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:38 am

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:53 am
Exactly.

I have found it to be detrimental to my mental health as well as our relationship to try to "fix" it. My acceptance and planning around it works much better for both of us.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:42 am

This topic has been locked due to being non-actionable (an actionable example might be: "How does one usefully engage their otherwise-uninterested spouse in the finances?"). From the forum rules:
Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:

* discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."