Equifax Credit Freeze 100% online

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
djpeteski

Equifax Credit Freeze 100% online

Post by djpeteski » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 am

This AM, I was able to place a credit freeze on my Equifax account 100% online and with zero cost. Although state dependent, I thought that this would cost you $10 in my and many other states.

The web site was sluggish, but it worked. I went here: https://www.freeze.equifax.com

JD2775

Re: Equifax Credit Freeze 100% online

Post by JD2775 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am

You are lucky you got through. I've tried multiple times, it always fails on the last confirmation step. "System unavailable. Please try again later"

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 am

djpeteski wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 am
This AM, I was able to place a credit freeze on my Equifax account 100% online and with zero cost. Although state dependent, I thought that this would cost you $10 in my and many other states.

The web site was sluggish, but it worked. I went here: https://www.freeze.equifax.com
Equifax is waiving the fee to freeze your credit report up until November 21.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/your ... ml?mcubz=0

You still have to pay to freeze your credit report with TransUnion and Experian unless your state laws says otherwise.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:32 am

I just did transunion for free as well. I signed up for their TrueIdentity. I opted out of emails, I signed up for text alerts if someone applies for credit, and locked my credit from their dashboard. The benefit to this is I can login and unfreeze my credit, although it is doubtful I will ever need to.

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Took a couple of attempts, but i froze credit for myself, my wife, and our college age son with all 5 agencies, completely online last night.

The only hiccup was that at Equifax when I did my wife's and my son's they generate a PIN and show you a page with the PIN on it.
When i did mine, i got a message saying i had to mail in my information. I figured i would try again a little later. When i did that I was only given the option to temporarily that or permanently unfreeze my credit. I assume this means the first attempt did actually freeze my credit as well despite getting the message that i needed to mail my information in to them.

The big problem is now my credit appears to be frozen, but because i got a different page when i did it, I never got a PIN. Any one have any thoughts on how to remedy that situation?
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

pqwerty

Post by pqwerty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Both the website and the phone # for Equifax keep returning errors when I try and freeze. They have also notified me my personal information has been compromised. I called the call center and the person wasn't helpful. They referred me to the phone # and website I had already tried. When I was short with him he hung up ... maybe try again in the morning. :confused

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 pm

I was finally able to get the Equifax freeze to go through online this evening for myself and my wife. (Mine went through. Hers errored out a couple of times, but finally went through.) We also froze Experian and Innovis online. We "locked" Transunion using their free service (which has a couple of benefits as well). Only the Experian cost anything ($5 in Ohio).

I have not been able to get Chexsystems website to load for the last few days. At all. It just sits on a blank page.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:54 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 pm
I was finally able to get the Equifax freeze to go through online this evening for myself and my wife. (Mine went through. Hers errored out a couple of times, but finally went through.) We also froze Experian and Innovis online. We "locked" Transunion using their free service (which has a couple of benefits as well). Only the Experian cost anything ($5 in Ohio).

I have not been able to get Chexsystems website to load for the last few days. At all. It just sits on a blank page.
What web browser are you using? It was doing that for me, using Safari on a Mac. But it worked when I tried using Firefox.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:57 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:54 pm
jhfenton wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 pm

What web browser are you using? It was doing that for me, using Safari on a Mac. But it worked when I tried using Firefox.
I was just coming back to report the same thing. It had failed on Windows 10 Edge, Windows 10 Chrome, and Mac Safari.

But it just worked on Windows 10 Firefox. :sharebeer

rob65

Post by rob65 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Mine went through on the first try. My wife's took two tries.

Edit to add: I used Chrome.

Is the Transunion "lock" as good as a freeze? Their website is pushing the lock option and seems to almost be trying to scare you away from the freeze. Call me cynical, but it struck me as "me thinks thou doth protest too much."

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:04 pm

rob65 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Is the Transunion "lock" as good as a freeze? Their website is pushing the lock option and seems to almost be trying to scare you away from the freeze. Call me cynical, but it struck me as "me thinks thou doth protest too much."
I don't think it's mysterious at all. The security freeze limits a few ways in which they monetize our credit reports. They don't want to give that up, so they make the process only as simple as the law requires.

But as a substitute, they offer a "lock" promising what we supposedly most care about--the ability to prevent any new credit pulls or new accounts from being opened--in exchange for making the process simple and free (complete with a TrueIdentity iPhone app), offering change alerts, and offering a free daily credit report.

That said, I froze Equifax because I wouldn't trust their systems farther than I could throw them. I'm giving Transunion a chance with the lock unless and until I find a reason to doubt them. (I didn't see a "lock" option from Experian.)

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 pm

I had already frozen Experien & TransUnion, but repeated tries to Freeze at Equifax had returned errors, and I assumed had failed. I did register for their TrustedID service earlier today, but still planned to Freeze.

Just now I tried to freeze again, and was asked if I wanted to Permanently remove or a Temporary Lift to my freeze. The implication is that there's already a freeze in place.

My question is, is this due to my acceptance of their TrustedID service, or did a freeze actually go through on one of my many earlier failed attempts?
Last edited by neilpilot on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:28 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 pm
I had already frozen Experien & TransUnion, but repeated tries to Freeze at Equifax had returned errors, and I assumed had failed. I did register for their TrustedID service earlier today, but still planned to Freeze.

Just now I tried to freeze again, and was asked if I wanted to Permanently remove or Temporary Lift to my freeze. The implication is that there's already a freeze in place.

My question is, is this due to my acceptance of their TrustedID service, or did a freeze actually go through on one of may many earlier failed attempts?
I just had the same experience.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:35 pm

JD2775 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am
You are lucky you got through. I've tried multiple times, it always fails on the last confirmation step. "System unavailable. Please try again later"

There's probably a bad uplink between the Equifax system and China.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:44 pm

mcraepat9 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:28 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Just now I tried to freeze again, and was asked if I wanted to Permanently remove or Temporary Lift to my freeze. The implication is that there's already a freeze in place.

My question is, is this due to my acceptance of their TrustedID service, or did a freeze actually go through on one of may many earlier failed attempts?
I just had the same experience.
I had same experience as neilpilot. I did not get the promised email from the ID theft protection service, and did not get a PIN to unfreeze. I hope this will show up before terribly long. Until then I apparently cannot unfreeze, should I want to. I could not find a phone number to call ask what's up.

thebogledude

Post by thebogledude » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:45 pm

My understanding there there was a difference between a lock and a so called freeze. But in Transunion's case, they seem to be marketing the lock as something that you can control.

For those that are not getting through online and are getting error messages to just keep trying. Eventually I got through online.

BHOCnewbie

Post by BHOCnewbie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Hello

I was able to place a freeze with no issues online at Equifax. We got PIN numbers assigned by Equifax. However as was pointed out on the internet, these are basically "weak" time stamp-based PINs. I read that Equifax has since started giving out random PINs that will be mailed to your address.

I wanted to find out if any of your PINs are based on the time stamp algorithm and if so how do you go about changing your PIN to something more random? Anybody here who has changed their PIN?

Thanks

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:45 am

jhfenton wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:04 pm
rob65 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:58 pm

I don't think it's mysterious at all. The security freeze limits a few ways in which they monetize our credit reports. They don't want to give that up, so they make the process only as simple as the law requires.

But as a substitute, they offer a "lock" promising what we supposedly most care about--the ability to prevent any new credit pulls or new accounts from being opened--in exchange for making the process simple and free (complete with a TrueIdentity iPhone app), offering change alerts, and offering a free daily credit report.

That said, I froze Equifax because I wouldn't trust their systems farther than I could throw them. I'm giving Transunion a chance with the lock unless and until I find a reason to doubt them. (I didn't see a "lock" option from Experian.)
This seems to be a pretty brilliant strategy by Transunion. A decade down the road most of the freezes being put in now will either expire or be permanently lifted thanks to the sheer inconvenience and cost of it. Whereas, I would guess a far larger percentage of Transunion locks will remain in place. Which in turn means that a bank that checks Transunion will be just a bit more likely to catch an identity theft attempt than checking Experian or Equifax. If Transunion can get a solid percentage of the population onto their credit lock service, which reporting agency do you think a bank is going to check before making a large loan? Remember that, in identity theft, the bank loses the entire loan amount.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:13 am

I was listening to Clark Howard today and he said equifax now realizes their pin algorithm is no good, and they are working on a fix. Most likely you will be able to get a new pin once they figure how they want to generate them.

dia

Post by dia » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:50 pm

marcopolo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:17 pm
Took a couple of attempts, but i froze credit for myself, my wife, and our college age son with all 5 agencies, completely online last night.

The only hiccup was that at Equifax when I did my wife's and my son's they generate a PIN and show you a page with the PIN on it.
When i did mine, i got a message saying i had to mail in my information. I figured i would try again a little later. When i did that I was only given the option to temporarily that or permanently unfreeze my credit. I assume this means the first attempt did actually freeze my credit as well despite getting the message that i needed to mail my information in to them.

The big problem is now my credit appears to be frozen, but because i got a different page when i did it, I never got a PIN. Any one have any thoughts on how to remedy that situation?
I can relate... here's what happen to me: completed all the web pages without an issue until the last page that generated the PIN which of course you need from that point on. When it generated that page for me, the information was a black box with no text. The top of the web page said your freeze was processed and here is your pin, but no text was there!!! Just a black box. Not sure if it was the browser I was using, a website glitch, their fault or what.

SO I paid 10 bucks, have frozen credit and NO pin. ! I immediately sent them an email explaining the problem with the site, but no response after a few days so I mailed a letter explaining what happened, sent a screenshot of the web page, and asked that they give me the pin... probably won't hear anything for weeks.

You could try calling them I guess, but I wrote a letter and handled it per their instructions for people who lose their pin. Good Luck to you--let us know if you were successful in fixing.
Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. --Winston Churchill

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:02 am

mhalley wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:13 am
I was listening to Clark Howard today and he said equifax now realizes their pin algorithm is no good, and they are working on a fix. Most likely you will be able to get a new pin once they figure how they want to generate them.
The Equifax PINs that my wife and I got on Friday seemed random. The PINs were not close to each other and had no obvious pattern. They were not using the date-and-time-stamp algorithm from earlier in the week.

jjustice

Post by jjustice » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 pm

marcopolo wrote:

I had the same experience with Equifax. The process at Equifax aborted after the third page, but when I went back a few hours later to try again they gave me only options to unfreeze. I have no pin. Perhaps I'll hear by mail? Very odd. I had no trouble with the other two companies.

John

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 pm

jjustice wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 pm
marcopolo wrote:

I had the same experience with Equifax. The process at Equifax aborted after the third page, but when I went back a few hours later to try again they gave me only options to unfreeze. I have no pin. Perhaps I'll hear by mail? Very odd. I had no trouble with the other two companies.

John
I had the same experience on 9/15, and so far no PIN via email or USPS. I had previously signed up for their TrustedID service (have not received the mail on that one yet either). Could that service have resulted in a credit freeze? Did either of you also sign on for TrustedID before you experienced this problem?

bbees

Post by bbees » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Equifax had an automated phone call method of installing a freeze this morning. worked pretty easily except you better be ready to write in a hurry and listen well because the Pin number came out fast with only one chance to repeat.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 pm
jjustice wrote:
marcopolo wrote:

John
I had the same experience on 9/15, and so far no PIN via email or USPS. I had previously signed up for their TrustedID service (have not received the mail on that one yet either). Could that service have resulted in a credit freeze? Did either of you also sign on for TrustedID before you experienced this problem?
Me too. Commenting so I can find this thread again in case anyone has the answer. When this happened I tried calling but got a busy signal! Since I'm sure their customer service reps are still pretty swamped right now, I'm planning to wait a bit longer, then if there's been no PIN sent by US mail I'll call to try to find out what's up.

I did sign up for TrustedID earlier that same day (5 days ago) but I can't remember if it was before or after my attempted credit freeze. I just now logged into TrustedID and it says my Credit Lock Status is "an error occurred, please contact customer support". Hmmmm. I think I'll send them an email.

Alan S.

Post by Alan S. » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 am

A key decision is whether to press forward with the freeze and associated requests while all 3 firms are dysfunctional and understaffed due to the sheer magnitude of this issue or wait until they have their act together.

Public and political pressure will probably result in constant changes being demanded and implemented, generally leading to a more complete, less costly consumer request processing platform.

So there are benefits to waiting and getting the freeze done right before proceeding, however your ID could be stolen in the meantime.

I doubt that anyone feels secure with Equifax's initial indication of whether you were one of the 143mm compromised. The indication I received was that our info was not compromised, but I suspect the accuracy of this info. Nonetheless, I am going to wait for awhile before freezing based on their indication, hoping that the Equifax will eventually be forced to put freezes in place at all 3 credit agencies at no cost. The pressure is building for that solution, but dispersing 3 different PINS could be a problem there.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:59 am

Alan S. wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 am
A key decision is whether to press forward with the freeze and associated requests while all 3 firms are dysfunctional and understaffed due to the sheer magnitude of this issue or wait until they have their act together.
I think it's worth being persistent. It took me a few days of trying, but my wife and I were eventually able to freeze both of our credit files at the Big 3+2, entirely online. (For TransUnion, we actually did the "credit lock" through their free True Identity service.) The only cost was $5 x 2 for the freezes at Experian. (It might be $10 x 2 depending on your state.)

I agree that positive process changes are likely, but I didn't want to risk waiting.

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:01 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 pm
jjustice wrote:
marcopolo wrote:

John

I did not sign up for TrustedID, so i don't think it is related to that. It just seemed like a glitch in their web site. I am hoping they will send a paper confirmation of the freeze, and maybe that will have the PIN. But, that is probably a long shot. I am now not sure if i should go through the hassle of trying to retrieve my pin now, or just leave it frozen till i need to unfreeze at some (hopefully distant time), when they are not so swamped with other consumers.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:25 pm

A week ago I posted that, after several earlier attempts at an Equifax freeze where their website froze or returned an error, on 9/15 my freeze attempt offered only the option to lift a freeze. That implied that I had a freeze in place, even though their site never confirmed the initial freeze or offered a PIN.

I never received a freeze confirmation from Equifax. No email. No snail mail.

Today I tried again, with the same lift-your-freeze options. [My wife was able to place a freeze and obtain her PIN online today.]

Has anyone else with this problem succeeded in obtaining their PIN from Equifax?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:25 pm
A week ago I posted that, after several earlier attempts at an Equifax freeze where their website froze or returned an error, on 9/15 my freeze attempt offered only the option to lift a freeze. That implied that I had a freeze in place, even though their site never confirmed the initial freeze or offered a PIN.

Today I tried again, with the same lift-your-freeze options. [My wife was able to place a freeze and obtain her PIN online today.]

Has anyone else with this problem succeeded in obtaining their PIN from Equifax?
UPDATE:

I called Equifax "Security Freeze Department" and, after holding for 27 minutes, the CS rep (whose native language was not English) asked for my SS#, address & DOB as identification. He was relatively efficient, and explained that it was a common occurrence to have a freeze occur and, due to web site traffic, be then disconnected without confirmation or a PIN. He told be to expect to receive my PIN in the mail in 5-10 business days. I was given a CS confirmation #.

I'll call back in 2-3 weeks if I don't receive my PIN (not holding my breath).

Equifax "Security Freeze Department" = 888-298-0045

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 am

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 am
neilpilot wrote:

UPDATE:

I called Equifax "Security Freeze Department" and, after holding for 27 minutes, the CS rep (whose native language was not English) asked for my SS#, address & DOB as identification. He was relatively efficient, and explained that it was a common occurrence to have a freeze occur and, due to web site traffic, be then disconnected without confirmation or a PIN. He told be to expect to receive my PIN in the mail in 5-10 business days. I was given a CS confirmation #.

Thanks for the update!
I had the same issue. I am glad to hear they are aware of it and are sending PINs in the mail when asked. I will give this a try.

cas

Post by cas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:58 am

neilpilot wrote:
I called Equifax "Security Freeze Department" and, after holding for 27 minutes, the CS rep . . .explained that it was a common occurrence to have a freeze occur and, due to web site traffic, be then disconnected without confirmation or a PIN . . . [and] told me to expect to receive my PIN in the mail in 5-10 business days.
Could you tell from the conversation whether the PIN (supposedly) is arriving in the mail in 5 to 10 days *only because* you had called (and waited on hold 27 minutes) and complained? Or had their system (supposedly) figured out that it was a "common occurrence" to manage freezing without giving the PIN and was (supposedly) sending you the PIN via mail automatically without you having to call? (I suspect the answer to that one is "dream on.")

I've been attempting to do the freeze (trying 5am-ish east coast time when, theoretically, traffic would be lower). But I keep getting system not available errors after the first page. (Annoying, but preferable to your experience of managing a freeze-without-PIN.) I was thinking that maybe this week would be a compromise in between them having several weeks to get the bugs worked out and a potentially spike in traffic due to media attention during the congressional hearings next week. But sounds like maybe I shouldn't be putting too much credibility into the thought that they've had several weeks to work the bugs out of the freeze process. Sigh.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:10 am

cas wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:58 am
neilpilot wrote:
I called Equifax "Security Freeze Department" and, after holding for 27 minutes, the CS rep . . .explained that it was a common occurrence to have a freeze occur and, due to web site traffic, be then disconnected without confirmation or a PIN . . . [and] told me to expect to receive my PIN in the mail in 5-10 business days.
Could you tell from the conversation whether the PIN (supposedly) is arriving in the mail in 5 to 10 days *only because* you had called (and waited on hold 27 minutes) and complained? Or had their system (supposedly) figured out that it was a "common occurrence" to manage freezing without giving the PIN and was (supposedly) sending you the PIN via mail automatically without you having to call? (I suspect the answer to that one is "dream on.")

I've been attempting to do the freeze (trying 5am-ish east coast time when, theoretically, traffic would be lower). But I keep getting system not available errors after the first page. (Annoying, but preferable to your experience of managing a freeze-without-PIN.) I was thinking that maybe this week would be a compromise in between them having several weeks to get the bugs worked out and a potentially spike in traffic due to media attention during the congressional hearings next week. But sounds like maybe I shouldn't be putting too much credibility into the thought that they've had several weeks to work the bugs out of the freeze process. Sigh.
I believe that the PIN is being sent only because I called, and only if they deliver on what they told me. I don't think they have any idea who didn't get the online confirmation and/or PIN.

dia

Post by dia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:06 pm

marcopolo wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 am
neilpilot wrote:
neilpilot wrote:

UPDATE:

Thanks for the update!
I had the same issue. I am glad to hear they are aware of it and are sending PINs in the mail when asked. I will give this a try.
I was told via email (and it took a week to even get a reply to an email): "In this case I can confirm that Equifax will provide the confirmation and the pin number to your Security Freeze, by mail, within the next 7 to 10 business days." That came on Sept 19th and I have not received anything in the mail yet. I will wait a few more days and then contact them again.
Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. --Winston Churchill

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 pm

dia wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:06 pm

I was told via email (and it took a week to even get a reply to an email): "In this case I can confirm that Equifax will provide the confirmation and the pin number to your Security Freeze, by mail, within the next 7 to 10 business days." That came on Sept 19th and I have not received anything in the mail yet. I will wait a few more days and then contact them again.
By my count they have until next Tuesday to make good on their promise. I plan to give them at least an additional week beyond that 10 business days before I try that 30+ minute call again.

dia

Post by dia » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:37 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 pm
dia wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:06 pm

By my count they have until next Tuesday to make good on their promise. I plan to give them at least an additional week beyond that 10 business days before I try that 30+ minute call again.
Well I am past the 10 days and still nothing in the mail. I emailed them on day 10 and never received a response. Not feeling good about this. I am resigned to frozen credit with this company. Maybe that's ok.