Vanguard Voting...

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
AndroAsc

Vanguard Voting...

Post by AndroAsc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Ok, received a call out of the blue about some Vanguard voting, and also did receive some mail about it.

So are any of you guys voting? I don't even know what this is about, in terms about the ramifications of us small-time personal investors.

My bottomline concern is if the current Vanguard business model will change because of this vote.

livesoft

Re: Vanguard Voting...

Post by livesoft » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:28 pm

It is basically a pro forma thing that mutual fund companies do almost every year. One can read all the voting materials online and decide what to do.

There are no major issues that you are voting on. But it is more or less required by law. If not enough shareholders vote, then Vanguard will have to spend lots of money to hold another vote. That's why voting the first time is important. If you don't vote, then it could cost you money in the form of higher expense ratios.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

AndroAsc

Post by AndroAsc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 pm

Well I've been with Vanguard since 2010, and this is the first time they contacted me about voting so aggressively.

With the exception of proposition 7, that seems to have generated lots of comments on the other locked thread, are you guys just voting with the recommended default settings for the rest of the proposition?

Also, some of the proposition like the REIT fund changes seems to be stuff that Vanguard does on a regular basis when they change the index of the fund they track, but yet I've never received any voting information for those actions...

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Yes we received the Proxy material as well. One can log into their Vanguard account and read everything and then cast your vote. Vanguard did this many years ago in 2008 or 2009 if I recall.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:12 pm

AndroAsc wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 pm
My bottomline concern is if the current Vanguard business model will change because of this vote.
Vanguard's "business model" is not changing. The Shareholders own the individual funds and the funds "own" Vanguard.

Thank you Jack Bogle!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs