Lowes vs Home Depot

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lthenderson

Re: Lowes vs Home Depot

Post by lthenderson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:08 am

Neither if I can help it. If I need plumbing, I go to a local plumbing supply place. If I need hardware, I go to a local hardware store. If I need lumber, I go to a local lumber yard. If I need tools, I generally order higher quality tools than are typically stocked at big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot.

I find the knowledge base at the local independent stores to be much higher and I generally save repeat trips to get the correct fitting, hardware, etc. I also find they typically carry better quality stuff than the bottom of the line consumer grade stuff carried at the big box stores. For hardwood lumber, I have access to a local Amish sawmill. Generally I pay 1/3 to 1/2 of what Lowes and Home Depot charge. For softwood material, the price is about the same to a little higher but I don't have to sort through a huge pile of twisted, knotty lumber that has been sorted by the previous 100 shoppers. For paints, I go to a paint store. I bought a gallon of store brand paint from a Menards for a small project about a year ago to use up a coupon and was reminded why I hadn't bought any paint there for the previous decade. It took four coats to look as good as one coat of paint from Sherwin Williams store brand paint.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:51 am

Customer service seems to vary by locations of each store. You're only as good as your people. Happens to be Lowes for me. Although I occasionally shop at Home Depot.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:09 pm

My experience has been that once you are fairly familiar where items are located in each store that the choice depends on the particular store. Some have much better customer service than others, but the stock seems to be very similar. I agree that Lowe's has a better presentation than HD.

Tim

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:03 pm
brokendirtdart wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 am
RCL wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 am
The Lowes in my area gives me a veteran ( not currently in military) discount any time I purchase something in their store. Most times I don't even have to show my DD214.
I don't normally ask for a discount on small items I purchase, only on the more expensive ones.
If you have a myLowes card(loyalty card type thing), you can verify/add your veteran status to it and just scan the card versus carry around a 214 and ask for a discount. myLowes also tracks your purchases which can come in handy if you lost a receipt.

https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register?context=military
Is the MyLowes card truly *free*? I am not trying to get a veteran or other discount, simply trying to get free shipping. My neighborhood Lowe's doesn't seem to stock the common household good I want, though I don't feel like paying $6 in shipping as I'm in no particular rush to obtain it.

"Free shipping" sounds too good to be true, unless Lowe's has a special promotion going on. I am trying to avoid registering only to get snookered into a program that won't actually provide for free shipping.

Anyone with experience here? Thanks in advance!

https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/register? ... l_Shipping
Update: I just registered (actually, I was already registered on the Lowe's site, and I guess my account is now "MyLowes"). Anyway, looks as if Lowe's now offers free shipping, at least for small bottles of household stuff - I doubt it applies to bulky, heavy purchases, but I'm not complaining. Pretty nice.

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Pretty much any associate at a Home Depot can give you $50 off a purchase, if you're buying enough. I do my casual shopping at Lowe's because it's closer, but if it's an expensive purchase, I go to Home Depot and try to get the $50 off and use a 10% Lowe's coupon. Most stores will honor competitor coupons. I recently got $50 off a $330 purchase, which is more than 10% off. Lowe's coupons are easy to obtain.

rob

Post by rob » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:44 pm

I used both until Lowes cheated my on a dishwasher & install.... Starting with incompetence & lies about the real costs and ending with no interest from higher ups to address issues. I cannot recommend enough to buy stuff elsewhere! Anywhere else.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:28 am

rob wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:44 pm
I used both until Lowes cheated my on a dishwasher & install.... Starting with incompetence & lies about the real costs and ending with no interest from higher ups to address issues. I cannot recommend enough to buy stuff elsewhere! Anywhere else.
Great. I purchased a Bosch dishwasher from Lowes on 9/20 and haven't heard anything yet. How long did you have to wait?

Exterous

Post by Exterous » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 am

I think perceptions are going to be more influenced by your local stores than overall brand. Where I used to live Lowes had far better customer service but where I live now the closest Lowes is pretty bad. I also have 2 lowes, 3 Home Depots and 1 menards within in a 15 minute drive. The closest Lowes is a smaller store as is one of the Home Depots and both lack a lot of the products I can find in the other stores of the same brand (Hat channel, certain fertilizers, fewer square drive screw options etc)

There are two benefits of Lowes that I like though:
#1: Way better 'Open box' appliance discounts. I very rarely see these at any of the HD I go to but I regularly check these out at any Lowes when I'm in the store. I've gotten a counter top depth, stainless steel Whirlpool gold fridge for $600, a Samsung stainless steel microwave with a frayed cord for $50 (and then bought a cord in the electrical aisle for ~$7) and a Bosch stainless steel dishwasher for $200
#2 Coupons\Gift cards: I can usually get lowes gift cards for 10-15% off and then stack with $X off $Y coupons and easily split up these transactions online to get a total of 20-30% off my purchase

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:27 am

Lots of stores including Lowes and Home Depot have free "ship to store" for at least some items. I use it for a major chain pharmacy that has much higher prices in-store where I live than they offer online but also has shipping fees. What's silly is that they use common carriers to ship the items that are already on the shelf to the store, so they could probably just send it to me directly for the same shipping cost.

If you don't like the website search feature, you can always include the search term site:lowes.com or site:homedepot.com or whatever to search only that site.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22terr ... edepot.com

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:56 am

Edie wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 am
squirm wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 pm
However I've been visiting Lowes a lot more often because of their website. I think their website is much better presented then HD. Second the HD search and menu is pathetic compared to Lowes. Last is I can easy find out if they have the items in stock before leaving and what I see in quantity generally matches that at the store. The HD site no so much, it also keeps wanting me to order online.
The part I bolded is strange to me. I looked up a part for our weedeater a couple weeks ago on the HD site, and was able to tell my spouse how many in stock, the aisle and the bay, at our local store from their website. Maybe you don't have your local store set?
+1. I find HD's website to work great and to provide the number of items in stock at the local store and surrounding stores.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 am

Big box stores mean an hour of driving for me, poor customer service, and possibility of them not having the part. They also tend to have imported goods marked up way too much for me.

My normal go to place is my neighborhood Ace store. They are a huge time saver for me. Their paint department is excellent.

I've had good luck buying sump pumps and bath fixtures online. There can be good deals there. I have a corporate account with Grainger, which is good for general hardware needs when I can wait a couple days on shipping. McMaster-Carr is a great one for specialty fasteners.

I like my local lumber yard too. Their prices are higher, but they do free delivery.