How to get a real Chip and Pin card?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
dbr

Re: How to get a real Chip and Pin card?

Post by dbr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:18 am

takeshi wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:33 am
dbr wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:56 am
One certainly does not hold only one card.
Depends on the individual. Never conflate "I" and "one" regardless of topic. There are certainly those who only have 1 card or no cards. I wouldn't advise it but it's their call to make.
The point was that if someone is complaining about giving up cash back to hold a real pin card then the solution is to hold two cards. I'm just advocating common sense to solve a perceived problem.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:31 am

dbr wrote:
.. You need two or three cards when traveling anyway.
Could you explain please? I understand needing one extra card, pin version, for international use. But why would you need more?

Thanks.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am

kayanco wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:31 am
dbr wrote:
Could you explain please? I understand needing one extra card, pin version, for international use. But why would you need more?

Thanks.
Because any one (or even two) of those cards might need to be shut down for fraud, be lost or stolen, or not be accepted when you need it to be. You should always divide your resources and carry things in separate places. Some card companies can shut down your card unexpectedly and for what seem to be innocent reasons. I had a card stopped once because a once a year subscription renewal was charged and they judged that "outside the pattern of regular spending." They did that just as I was trying to pay for something in a distant city. No problem to just hand in a second card. Having to make calls at bad hours from overseas to fix problems is annoying and may be a real problem if they need to send a new card. You also need to be sure you can be reached on travel if they do want to call you about suspected fraudulent transactions.

It happened to me in Japan once that one card I was using to get cash had a daily limit of $100 that was not enough. I made up the difference by using a second card.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 am

dbr wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:18 am
The point was that if someone is complaining about giving up cash back to hold a real pin card then the solution is to hold two cards. I'm just advocating common sense to solve a perceived problem.
Complaining?

I was just noting that for my purposes I have been satisfied with the Arrival as a PIN card for my infrequent international use.

What I meant is that I would like a card that has PIN priority in the US. But I would not give up rewards for this improvement.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:51 am

jeffyscott wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 am
dbr wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:18 am
Complaining?

I was just noting that for my purposes I have been satisfied with the Arrival as a PIN card for my infrequent international use.

What I meant is that I would like a card that has PIN priority in the US. But I would not give up rewards for this improvement.
That's fine too.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 pm

dbr wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am
kayanco wrote:
dbr wrote:

Thanks.
Because any one (or even two) of those cards might need to be shut down for fraud, be lost or stolen, or not be accepted when you need it to be. You should always divide your resources and carry things in separate places. Some card companies can shut down your card unexpectedly and for what seem to be innocent reasons. I had a card stopped once because a once a year subscription renewal was charged and they judged that "outside the pattern of regular spending." They did that just as I was trying to pay for something in a distant city. No problem to just hand in a second card. Having to make calls at bad hours from overseas to fix problems is annoying and may be a real problem if they need to send a new card. You also need to be sure you can be reached on travel if they do want to call you about suspected fraudulent transactions.

It happened to me in Japan once that one card I was using to get cash had a daily limit of $100 that was not enough. I made up the difference by using a second card.
That's a good point, and well explained.

For situations like "outside the pattern of regular spending" (e.g. using the card in a new city), I like the idea of sending the customer a text or email saying: Reply 1 or click here if it's you. I think this is better than outright blocking the card. I can imagine the trouble for a customer with a lone blocked card needing gas on a road trip.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:16 pm

kayanco wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 pm
dbr wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am
kayanco wrote:
dbr wrote:

Thanks.

That's a good point, and well explained.

For situations like "outside the pattern of regular spending" (e.g. using the card in a new city), I like the idea of sending the customer a text or email saying: Reply 1 or click here if it's you. I think this is better than outright blocking the card. I can imagine the trouble for a customer with a lone blocked card needing gas on a road trip.
Some banks do exactly that. I have had two such cases in the last six months.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Question about the First Tech credit card. I know it doesn't have a cash advance fee, but won't the other bank/institution charge a fee for using their ATM? Or does First Tech reimburse that fee? (Like some debit cards reimburse other institution fees).

Thanks.

MRebator

Post by MRebator » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 am

I just tried using both my Navy Federal and PenFed CCs in Christchurch, NZ at a Pak'N'Save self-service fuel pump. I inserted, selected credit, and they were declined stating they weren't supported. I then used my NF debit card, selected credit, was prompted for (online) pin, and used it successfully.

What happened here? I thought NF/PF supported Chip+Pin, perhaps not as the priority/default but shouldn't it have fallen back after sig didn't work?