Amazon Prime Shipping Issues since move from UPS to USPS

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fandango

Re: Amazon Prime Shipping Issues since move from UPS to USPS

Post by fandango » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:27 pm

I am an Amazon Prime customer and agree that delivery has suffered significantly since they started using the USPS.

I recently ordered a book for a birthday present. It arrived in a cardboard box but the corners were bent and the book binding torn. Of course, I complained.

Most recently I ordered an item that was supposed to be sent by two day prime shipping. That was two weeks ago, and I haven't received it yet.

Up until the last couple of years, I have loved Amazon Prime. Now I don't know whether it is worth it.

Howie

Post by Howie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:17 pm

I'll echo the general sentiment that delivery times have become worse since Amazon has transitioned (in my area, anyway) to USPS. Of the last eight orders, four have been delivered outside the two-day "guaranteed" Prime window. I've received a month extension to my Prime membership each time, but it's clear this change is negatively impacting their shipping speed.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:35 pm

countofmc wrote:
EDIT: I will say this though, imo Amazon does an appalling job packaging. I am not sure if this is a cost/time saving measure (probably), but they do not put enough of those air cushion thing into the box, so the items can move and bounce around quite a bit. I always laugh when they send those packaging feedback emails. They have gotten a tad better lately I think. I order a lot of photographic equipment, and the contrast in packaging is stark when compared to a real camera store like B&H in New York. That being said, Amazon seems to emphasize speed over everything, so as long as the item isn't outright damaged, I don't mind too much.

Amazon sends me very non-fragile small items with enough packaging for a delicate elephant. And their shipping "speed" is lousy for non-prime customers. Two to three weeks normally. I have started buying from other places. jet.com so far has shipped very quickly.

I can't recall the last time the USPS delivered a damaged package to me. A couple of decades ago, maybe.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:16 pm

My problems with OnTrac Amazon shipments continue. The last one arrived ten days (!) after the promised original date. Emails to OnTrac about the shipment status were not answered. Emails to Amazon resulted in the order getting declared lost and refunded.

But it isn't only OnTrac. My most recent order is supposed to be here on Tuesday. It was ordered on Wednesday, and it hasn't even shipped yet (today is Sunday). I will be surprised if it gets here on Tuesday. My expectation is that they get the package out tomorrow and then blame the delay on weather.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:41 pm

So far, two of my orders delivered by USPS were wet (nothing damaged since the contents were either metal or plastic), due to rain and snow. The postman did not put any plastic bags like my "regular" post person. BTW, it was raining or snowing DURING the delivery time, so the person did not care or was just rude.

blevine

Post by blevine » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:46 pm

As someone who periodically sells items on Amazon and Ebay, I ship using USPS and UPS.
I just shipped my first package from my east cost location to Hawaii.
USPS wanted about $15 and UPS about $50 for same service.

Anyone surprised one gets for what one pays ?
Do you want to pay $300/year for Prime or get your packages late ?

Howie

Post by Howie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:57 pm

blevine wrote:As someone who periodically sells items on Amazon and Ebay, I ship using USPS and UPS.
I just shipped my first package from my east cost location to Hawaii.
USPS wanted about $15 and UPS about $50 for same service.

Anyone surprised one gets for what one pays ?
Do you want to pay $300/year for Prime or get your packages late ?

Amazon surely has negotiated rates with the various shippers well below that which you and I would pay.

If Amazon guarantees delivery by a certain date and time, then that becomes the expectation. If they are forced to raise their Prime pricing in order to improve this performance, then a new cost/benefit analysis would be performed (as it might be done if they continue to miss on their guaranteed delivery dates at the current Prime pricing).

BlackConvoy

Post by BlackConvoy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:03 am

I know I'm tired of 8pm shipping. It's a huge inconvenience. So if I ship to my job, and expect it to be there on Friday, then I'm not getting it. If I have it shipped to an Amazon locker, now I have to wait in NYC for a few extra hours for my package. I work in NYC. Luckily, there are now lockers around where I live in NJ, but there have been times where I ordered a book for a trip I was taking and leaving straight after work. So I'm screwed. I have Prime, but most of the time now I just pick next day shipping. It still gets there at 8pm, but I can get my item at a normal time the following day.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:25 am

BlackConvoy wrote:I know I'm tired of 8pm shipping. It's a huge inconvenience. So if I ship to my job, and expect it to be there on Friday, then I'm not getting it. If I have it shipped to an Amazon locker, now I have to wait in NYC for a few extra hours for my package. I work in NYC. Luckily, there are now lockers around where I live in NJ, but there have been times where I ordered a book for a trip I was taking and leaving straight after work. So I'm screwed. I have Prime, but most of the time now I just pick next day shipping. It still gets there at 8pm, but I can get my item at a normal time the following day.

You should consider getting a Kindle. You could buy and download books while you are in the airport lounge waiting to board your flight.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am

TravelGeek wrote:My problems with OnTrac Amazon shipments continue. The last one arrived ten days (!) after the promised original date. Emails to OnTrac about the shipment status were not answered. Emails to Amazon resulted in the order getting declared lost and refunded.

But it isn't only OnTrac. My most recent order is supposed to be here on Tuesday. It was ordered on Wednesday, and it hasn't even shipped yet (today is Sunday). I will be surprised if it gets here on Tuesday. My expectation is that they get the package out tomorrow and then blame the delay on weather.

If you have the time you can call Amazon to complain about a missed guarenteed delivery - they will extend your Prime membership by 1 month.
I've done this four times now. The joke my wife and I have is that provided we continue to make the call at least once a month we will have free-Prime for life (I don't know if I have the time/patience to keep calling though).

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:58 am

DaftInvestor wrote:If you have the time you can call Amazon to complain about a missed guarenteed delivery - they will extend your Prime membership by 1 month.
I've done this four times now. The joke my wife and I have is that provided we continue to make the call at least once a month we will have free-Prime for life (I don't know if I have the time/patience to keep calling though).

Not exactly.

There's a limit of twelve months of courtesy Amazon Prime extensions. Then you have to pay to re-up for a year. But then you can start accruing free months again. So you could effectively go on the every-other year Pay for Prime plan, but not free for life.

Once 12 months of Prime extensions have been added to your account, you'll get a $5 or $10 courtesy credit posted to your account each time you complain about late delivery.

You do not need to spend time calling. You can send a simple email: "You guaranteed delivery. Shipment is late. Not OK." By next morning, you'll get an apology email with the courtesy freebie posted on your account.

In my customer experience, the Post Office system loses too many packages. Amazon then overnights a replacement, while posting a courtesy credit on my account. Original packages show up days or weeks (and once three months!) late. Then I call Amazon, inquire about what to do with my now-duplicate, unpaid item. Most of the time, they say, "Keep it," and occasionally they issue a pick-up order for it to be shipped back.

Chronically tardy and waylaid deliveries have to be very expensive for Amazon. Prices will go up (as they already have), the delivery promise will get squishy (as we see more items "may require extra days to process"), and the cut-off time for two-day gets earlier in the day.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Flobes wrote:You do not need to spend time calling. You can send a simple email: "You guaranteed delivery. Shipment is late. Not OK." By next morning, you'll get an apology email with the courtesy freebie posted on your account.

In my customer experience, the Post Office system loses too many packages. Amazon then overnights a replacement, while posting a courtesy credit on my account. Original packages show up days or weeks (and once three months!) late. Then I call Amazon, inquire about what to do with my now-duplicate, unpaid item. Most of the time, they say, "Keep it," and occasionally they issue a pick-up order for it to be shipped back.

Yup, I never call. Always email/online form. (Un-)fortunately Amazon appears to have stopped using OnTrak in my area after a flood of complaints that made it onto the local news (they send a reporter to the warehouse where an OnTrak staffer was showing camera team around piles and piles of boxes just piled up all over the place in a completely disorganized way).

More recently the culprit for delays has been Amazon themselves by not shipping it out until the day before the scheduled delivery and then sending it by ground shipping.

I don't complain every time, but if I care about the date I will.

To this day, though, zero complaints about USPS, Fedex... UPS had one delay recently that they blamed on a broken truck. Didn't complain; sometimes stuff just happens.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:30 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Flobes wrote:You do not need to spend time calling. You can send a simple email: "You guaranteed delivery. Shipment is late. Not OK." By next morning, you'll get an apology email with the courtesy freebie posted on your account.

Yup, I never call. Always email/online form. (Un-)fortunately Amazon appears to have stopped using OnTrak in my area after a flood of complaints that made it onto the local news (they send a reporter to the warehouse where an OnTrak staffer was showing camera team around piles and piles of boxes just piled up all over the place in a completely disorganized way).

More recently the culprit for delays has been Amazon themselves by not shipping it out until the day before the scheduled delivery and then sending it by ground shipping.

I don't complain every time, but if I care about the date I will.

To this day, though, zero complaints about USPS, Fedex... UPS had one delay recently that they blamed on a broken truck. Didn't complain; sometimes stuff just happens.

I need to work on my email skills. My emails have only gotten an apology versus a free month.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:I need to work on my email skills. My emails have only gotten an apology versus a free month.

I never ask for compensation. I always just state that the package has not arrived as guaranteed and that I ordered Fromm Amazon because as a Prime member I expected to be it by the time I needed it. Sometimes the response is just an apology, but more often it's a $5 credit or a free month of Prime.

Ultimately, though, I would prefer to get my orders on time; the current Prime cost is a fair price for what it offers as long as I can count on deliveries to generally be on time.

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:09 pm

I had a great work out package delivery with UPS now with the post office I have to be home and the packages will not fit in my mail box and I order over a 100 items a week, plus I am the one who has to get them from the mailbox and I would need a shed for a mailbox, or I have to go to the post office to pick them up. Furious and I will not be renewing my prime membership.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:19 pm

Jeanne wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:09 pm
I had a great work out package delivery with UPS now with the post office I have to be home and the packages will not fit in my mail box and I order over a 100 items a week, plus I am the one who has to get them from the mailbox and I would need a shed for a mailbox, or I have to go to the post office to pick them up. Furious and I will not be renewing my prime membership.
100 items per week! The mind boggles.
This week's fortune cookie: "The stock market may be your ticket to success." I sure hope so!

student

Post by student » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm

If you do not get the package within the promised time window, you should initiate a chat and ask for a free 1 month prime addition. This is their standard way to "get rid" of you.

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 pm

student wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm
If you do not get the package within the promised time window, you should initiate a chat and ask for a free 1 month prime addition. This is their standard way to "get rid" of you.
I always contact Amazon when the delivery is late. They have been giving me $10 per item that is late and sometimes throw in a month of free Prime. Sometimes the agent claims the package was lost, and they overnight me a complete new reorder. I end up getting a double order. One time it was a $100 order, the other time a $60 order.

It is worth it to notify Amazon when they don't meet the promised delivery date.

student

Post by student » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 am

mhc wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:28 pm
student wrote:
I always contact Amazon when the delivery is late. They have been giving me $10 per item that is late and sometimes throw in a month of free Prime. Sometimes the agent claims the package was lost, and they overnight me a complete new reorder. I end up getting a double order. One time it was a $100 order, the other time a $60 order.

It is worth it to notify Amazon when they don't meet the promised delivery date.
Did Amazon ask you to return the duplicate order?

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 am

student wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 am
mhc wrote:
student wrote:

No. The customer service reps each time claimed that the delivery was delayed because the package was lost, even though the tracking information showed that it would arrive the next day. I believe these were just imcompetent employees and didn't know what to say, so they claimed the package was lost.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:51 am

UPS (and FedEx) works better for me than USPS due to the way we receive things via USPS at the office. Basically, a courier brings us USPS deliveries the next day.

Where I have really had problems is with Amazon Logistics. Shipments are frequently late, lost, left in strange places or just never delivered. They don't seem to understand that you can't attempt to deliver to an office after office hours and the majority of our zip code is offices as we are in downtown Houston. Even when they arrive during business hours they seem to have trouble getting packages delivered. We never have these problem with UPS, FedEx or even USPS.

student

Post by student » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:12 am

mhc wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 am
student wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 am
mhc wrote:
student wrote:

No. The customer service reps each time claimed that the delivery was delayed because the package was lost, even though the tracking information showed that it would arrive the next day. I believe these were just imcompetent employees and didn't know what to say, so they claimed the package was lost.
I think their goal is to get rid of you. So their tactic is to "buy" people off.

forevernaive

Post by forevernaive » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Jeanne wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:09 pm
I have found that if you call or email jeff@amazon you can request that they use a particular shipper, such as UPS. I had a similar problem where UPS delivers to my door but USPS only to the box.

They warned me if you change shipping speed for a purchase however, you may need to call back and do it again. And 3rd party sellers on Amazon that do not ship via Amazon can still use whatever shipper they like, but such items aren't marked Prime.