Home Owners Insurance Claim: reasonable time to wait

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
djpeteski

Home Owners Insurance Claim: reasonable time to wait

Post by djpeteski » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 pm

We had roof damage during hurricane Irma.

The Adjuster came on 21 Sept, and said he would recommend a new roof and should expect to hear from the insurance company in 7-10 days. There was some other damage, but nothing out of the ordinary for a hurricane with power loss.

Eleven days later I hear from the company that they are waiting on something from someone else and that it will be another 7-10 days.

Am I being unreasonable to think that this should have already been approved?

bloom2708

Re: Home Owners Insurance Claim: reasonable time to wait

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:14 pm

I think you are being unreasonable (a bit).

Think of all the people with homes totally destroyed. Insurance companies in those areas are likely inundated with higher priority claims.

Just my 2 cents.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Given that the insurance companies are overwhelmed with Irma, Harvey, and Maria claims, I'd give it a while. You can't expect things to work normally this year.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Are you taking additional damage in the meantime? If not, I'll agree with the others and say be patient.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:12 pm

Chuck wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:23 pm
Are you taking additional damage in the meantime? If not, I'll agree with the others and say be patient.
Be careful about any additional damage as the policy states it is the responsibility of the homeowner to secure temporary repairs to reduce further damage. They would likely not invoke that possible exclusion, but be aware of it. I agree it may take some time to get their settlement, but there is no reason that you can't talk to your repair person and get a tentative date scheduled.

Good luck with the claim,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett