TD ameritrade to lazy portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
drk77

TD ameritrade to lazy portfolio

Post by drk77 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 am

Hello all,

I am new to Bogleheads and have been obsessed with this forum for the past 2 weeks while I have been on vacation! :D

I have a basic question I think. I would like to transfer a taxable account at TD ameritrade (value 300k almost all in conservative fixed income :oops: ) to Vanguard in an effort to transition to the 3 fund or core 4 portfolio using Vanguard funds. I actually already have an account open at Vanguard, just waiting to get my funds over. Of note, I already max out my employers retirement plans and will be addressing that also with regards to AA for my eventual portfolio (employer uses MassMutual and I meet with the representative tomorrow).

My basic thoughts are

1. cash out my TD account and pay taxes on the minimal gains from majority bonds
2. transfer over to vanguard, where I will then need to transition over to the funds I want, which will once again require paying taxes on the minimal gains from majority bonds.

Questions:
1. Am I correct to assume there is no difference in either 1 or 2 with regards to how much I will have available to invest in the end?
2. Is there a better strategy?

Another consideration is that I am planning a 100k downpayment on a mortgage at the end of 2018. I was thinking to just keep that 100k amount in the TD account (since it is already mostly fixed income with minimal growth), and then move the other 200k to vanguard only....does this make sense ?

Thanks!

motorcyclesarecool

Re: TD ameritrade to lazy portfolio

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 am

You can keep things very simple. Go Boglehead and never leave TD Ameritrade at all...
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/TD_Ameritrade
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:45 am

motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 am
You can keep things very simple. Go Boglehead and never leave TD Ameritrade at all...
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/TD_Ameritrade
Agreed, I use TDAmeritrade and they are excellent. Save yourself the headache.

John Laurens

Post by John Laurens » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:59 am

I have all my accounts at TDA. (VTI, VEA, VWO, BND). All commission free.

Why not just pay cash for a $300k house and be completely debt free? That’s what I would do.

Regards,
John

drk77

Post by drk77 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:27 pm

I will go with TDAm and You have all made my life easier! Thank you all!

To John, I am actually contributing to my sister's initial downpayment- I will retain a percentage stake in the property, but she and her husband will be making the mortgage payments.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:03 am

Don't forget that you MUST sign up for the no-commission ETF deal at TDAmeritrade. It does not happen automatically. Also you must follow their rules on this or you will be charged a commission.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:42 am

You must sign up as mentioned for commission free trades for ETFs, it is 3 mouse clicks. Also, you cannot sell within 30 days of any buy of the same ETF. If you buy one share of VTI on Oct 1, you must wait 30 calendar days (Oct 31) to sell any portion of your VTI or you will be hit with the $19.99 fee from your October 1 buy of one share.

Those expense ratios in the TDA Wiki for the ETFs can also be updated