Waxing my car!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Waxing my car!

Post by eagleeyes »

I never to be a big car wash guy! I used to let the rain wash my car. However I found I enjoy cleaning my wife's car. I cleaned it 10 days with these fancy noodle microfiber mitts and meguiar car soap and it looks great!

I don't know much about waxing. Any wax recommendations? Any pitfalls? Brands to stay away from?

Appreciate the help
Blueskies123

Re: Waxing my car!

Post by Blueskies123 »

This is a great web site for all automotive questions by knowledgeable people, including waxing.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth ... il_and_Wax
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

There are many good choices for wax, including the above ^^^ ( I use it, too). Just be sure the brand of wax you get clearly states that it will not stain trim pieces white. Certain waxes will put a white haze on matte black trim pieces that is impossible to get off.
dewey

Post by dewey »

I use Griot's Poly Wax. It is very easy to apply and remove. One of the easiest I've ever used. It gives a really nice shine. And is extremely durable and long lasting.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

eagleeyes wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 am I never to be a big car wash guy! I used to let the rain wash my car. However I found I enjoy cleaning my wife's car. I cleaned it 10 days with these fancy noodle microfiber mitts and meguiar car soap and it looks great!

I don't know much about waxing. Any wax recommendations? Any pitfalls? Brands to stay away from?

Appreciate the help
"10 days" in a row?

What type of car (make/model, year, color) do you and your wife drive? Are they garaged?

What is you goal? A clean shiny car? A smooth finish (i.e. clay)? A mirror like shine? (much effort, but wow!)

How many steps? An all-in-1, one step? A couple of passes? Several? As many as it takes? And what is more important, how shiny or how long it lasts? Will you be doing this monthly, quarterly, or annually?

Start with Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax or similar and work your way up in time, effort, cost and possibly shine.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17748- ... B00353PWAW
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I have waxed my vehicles for as long as I can remember.
I just prefer Meguiar's Products for Car Care.
Walmart carries them :happy

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I like the Meguiar’s Liquid Cleaner Wax for first time and / or less frequent waxing. If you wax more frequently, the Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax is another good choice.
marc515

Post by marc515 »

Blueskies123 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 am This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H ... UTF8&psc=1
Agree, Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax is the best I've ever used. I like the fact that you can wax black plastics with it also.
m
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I use Meguires cleaner wax
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-Cl ... uid/871743

Plus Collinite sealant
https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liquid ... linite+wax

Awesome combo.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
harrington

Post by harrington »

I used to detail cars. Anything made by Groits.
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

inbox788 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:59 am
eagleeyes wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 am I never to be a big car wash guy! I used to let the rain wash my car. However I found I enjoy cleaning my wife's car. I cleaned it 10 days with these fancy noodle microfiber mitts and meguiar car soap and it looks great!

Appreciate the help
"10 days" in a row?

What type of car (make/model, year, color) do you and your wife drive? Are they garaged?

What is you goal? A clean shiny car? A smooth finish (i.e. clay)? A mirror like shine? (much effort, but wow!)

How many steps? An all-in-1, one step? A couple of passes? Several? As many as it takes? And what is more important, how shiny or how long it lasts? Will you be doing this monthly, quarterly, or annually?

Start with Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax or similar and work your way up in time, effort, cost and possibly shine.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17748- ... B00353PWAW
Lol. I meant 10 days ago. My wife doesn't drive much so the car stays pretty clean

I have 15 month old kid so time is precious. Looking for something I can do monthly or every two months I guess. Shiny with least effort is my speed!

Questions: do the meguiar a ultimate wax or griots poly wax stain the black plastic trim? Hard to buff off? Can't be out there buffing for two hours

Thanks!
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I use Rejex because I typically only need to apply it once per year and it's relatively easy to apply and remove. It will not leave a white haze on plastic. It's a polymer sealant, not a wax......

https://www.amazon.com/CorrosionX-61002 ... ords=rejex

I agree with others that Meguiar's products are also excellent.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Most people never use a clay bar and just wash and wax. It is really easy to do and picks up a lot of the contaminants in the paint leaving a very smooth finish. The first time I used a clay bar I was surprised at the difference. Definitely recommend.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

I abhor waxing vehicles and consequently only did it (grudgingly) before and after winter. Until I got one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026 ... UTF8&psc=1). I still don't like it, but can do one in a fraction of the time I did before - with ease.

Have a problem with brake dust getting on the sides of vehicles. I was told to take a clay bar to it. Tried it for about 30 minutes, until I was a quivering sobbing mess on the floor of the garage, arm and shoulders aching. And had only gotten the front quarter panel and driver side door done. Stumbled across the idea of using a thick mixture of baking soda and water (wiping on with my bare hand) and it came off like magic. Just my two cents.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Is your wife's car parked in a garage or car port at home?

When possible, keeping the car out of the sun when parked is just as important as washing and waxing.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

Raymond wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:59 pm Is your wife's car parked in a garage or car port at home?

When possible, keeping the car out of the sun when parked is just as important as washing and waxing.
Garages all the time....in the 7 months we've had it we drove it 5000 miles.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

i use Turtle Wax Spray On wax.
you spray it on and wipe it off.
seems to last for me as well as anything I have used.
gives a very glossy/shiny finish.
and goes on/off easily/quickly.
Focus on what you can control
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

I seconded the recommendation for Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax.

If you put a good layer or two of wax, there is no need to do this every month or even two. Twice a year, e.g. in the spring and fall, should be sufficient. Three - four times a year is better. In between, you can use either Wash and Wax, or Ultimate Quix Wax after regular washing. The quix wax is really easy to apply, just spray and wax. Furthermore, if the car is barely dirty (e.g. just dusty), just use the Ultimate Quick Detailer. It will restore the shine and helps make the wax last longer.

Also recommend dual-action polisher for applying the wax. It just makes the job so much faster and consistent.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

I use Zaino. My understanding is that it's a synthetic sealant, not a wax. The reviews I read say that a sealant will not give quite as deep a shine as a wax, but it lasts longer. Here's my experience: once a year with Dawn, then clay bar, then their all in one product, then the clear coat spray on sealant (2 hours maybe). Using a spray detailer periodically, and maybe washing the car 1-2 more times during the year, the finish will still bead water like it was just "waxed" after a year of Buffalo weather, including the snow and salt.

http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/merchant. ... de=prokits

Good luck.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

I'm one of those guys who wax a car 3 times. Twice when I've just bought it, then once before I sell it. OK, it's a joke, but very close to the truth.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

For years, I was old school, and would use nothing but fine carnuaba wax. But I've recently been using Meguiar's Ulimate, which is easier to put on an wipe off. Moreover, it doesn't turn white if it gets onto black trim.

Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G18216- ... s+ultimate
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

eagleeyes wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:02 pmLol. I meant 10 days ago. My wife doesn't drive much so the car stays pretty clean

I have 15 month old kid so time is precious. Looking for something I can do monthly or every two months I guess. Shiny with least effort is my speed!
If you want really shiny, you've got to put in the time. I've come across the products starting with X or Z that produce showroom shines, but the number of passes and the work effort required just hasn't been my thing. Wash, clay, wax, 2nd wax, quick detail spray, etc. is just too much for my daily driver.

I used to use NuFinish liquid because it was easier to apply and buff, but the shine was a bit lacking. The paste was better rated, but needed more effort to remove. I stopped using it because it definitely stains black plastics badly. Also, I found some reports that they may have changed the formulation so it's not as good as the past formula, but I haven't used it in a while, so don't have first hand experience. What I did like about it besides the ease of applying (avoiding touching plastic) was that it lasted a long time (about a year).

I found on some forums a product called WetPaintGlaze that a few folks raved (with some unbelievable claims like waxing a dirty car), but I gave it a try and it was actually a pretty good product (you have to apply it as directed). It was extremely easy to apply since I was applying it to the entire car, including glass, chrome and plastics. I asked what type of you had because you may want to be more cautious about where you apply if you've got a luxury car. The biggest drawback I found was that the product didn't last. Maybe 1-2 months, which isn't that horrible, but I couldn't keep up.
FrugalInvestor wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:10 pmI use Rejex because I typically only need to apply it once per year and it's relatively easy to apply and remove. It will not leave a white haze on plastic.
I'm currently using Rejex and it's a great product. Easy on/off like NF and WPG. I'm also using this on everything, but my experience is that some plastics have grayed/dulled a bit. I will have to find something to bring back the shine on those parts and avoid getting Rejex on them in the future. Also, my experience is that it might last 3-6 months, not a year.

What all these products have in common is that they're all hand buffed. If you've got some buffing equipment, you can get even better results, but then you might go with alternatives other have mentioned.
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

RudyS wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm I'm one of those guys who wax a car 3 times. Twice when I've just bought it, then once before I sell it. OK, it's a joke, but very close to the truth.
One better take it to the car wash 3-4 times a year! Now that I am retired and will buy a new CRV when the 2018 comes out...thinking MAYBE I may start waxing it myself.....or pay someone to do it :beer
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to speak with representatives from DuPont. They told me that using any good cleaner wax once a year on clearcoat finished cars was sufficient. I followed this advice and have been very satisfied. In my younger years, I was ocd about my cars. As I aged, I got over it!

DMW
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

Wash & Wax at the car wash once per month. Our cars stay shiny for ten years until we sell them. I use an Armorall-like product on the inside trim once per month as well. When we trade in our cars at CarMax they are bought from us as "show ready."

gasdoc
Last edited by gasdoc on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

eagleeyes wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 am I don't know much about waxing. Any wax recommendations?
I don't use wax either and prefer sealants since they last longer. There are a lot of good options if you're interested and some have been mentioned above. I'm currently using Sonax Polymer Net Shield as it's very easy to apply and very long lasting.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I used to wax all my vehicles three or four times a year back in the day. However car paint/coatings have gotten so good I haven't waxed one in probably twenty years. I really don't see the need too unless you find it enjoyable.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

takeshi wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:55 am
eagleeyes wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:41 am I don't know much about waxing. Any wax recommendations?
I don't use wax either and prefer sealants since they last longer. There are a lot of good options if you're interested and some have been mentioned above. I'm currently using Sonax Polymer Net Shield as it's very easy to apply and very long lasting.
Over the years we have used all types of waxes and sealants on cars , trucks boats and RVs. We have found that the newer sealants are easier to use, last longer , and have better protection than waxes.
With that said - if yo look closely at your current preferred 'wax' it may be a polymer sealant and not a wax at all.
Today on the cars we prefer Meguires #21 for sealing (waxing) but there are many other good ones out there.
feh

Post by feh »

Beck49 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:49 pm I use Zaino.
+1

I hate waxing, but live in a state where plenty of salt is used on the roads in the winter. I want something that protects for a long time, which is Zaino.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

feh wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:11 pm
+1

I hate waxing, but live in a state where plenty of salt is used on the roads in the winter. I want something that protects for a long time, which is Zaino.
How long does is protect? What is your initial wax and then what and how often do you do maintenance wax?

I always associated Zaino with great shine, but lots of work (way too much for me to even think about doing myself). Just reading about what to do makes me tired.
Bare minimum to purchase is Z-AIO, Z-5, Z-6 & Z-7...
http://www.zainostore.com/beginners.html
feh

Post by feh »

inbox788 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:40 pm
feh wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:11 pm
+1

How long does is protect? What is your initial wax and then what and how often do you do maintenance wax?

I always associated Zaino with great shine, but lots of work (way too much for me to even think about doing myself). Just reading about what to do makes me tired.
Bare minimum to purchase is Z-AIO, Z-5, Z-6 & Z-7...
http://www.zainostore.com/beginners.html
I wax once a year, in the fall. It gets my cars through the winter. I use Z-AIO and Z-2.
Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle »

Once per year I claybar my car after washing and before waxing. I use Griot's claybar.

For wax I used Meguiar's "Gold Class" carnuba. It takes a bit of work to apply and remove but it does provide protection.

If I am really ambitious, after the claybar and before the wax I polish with Blackfire Wet Diamond. Do that and then a coat of Meguaris and the car shines bright, though your arm falls off.
rg422

Post by rg422 »

I used to be OCD about keeping our cars shiny as well, but that's changed. Now, a use a cleaner wax once a year.

The key with getting a nice shine is prep work. After washing, clay bar the vehicle; you'll be amazed at how much the thing pics up! Follow this with a decent polish with an orbital until swirl marks are non existent. Finish off with your choice of wax and/or sealant and you've got yourself clean looking paint job! To maintain a decent shine/slick finish I use Meguiar's M34 Final Finish - buy the sprayer and gallon on Amazon for $38 and it should last a LONG time.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

A few posts recommended using a clay bar before waxing. I hear the results are good. I've never used one because I thought it was a slow, tedious process with a lot of rubbing. How do you use a clay bar? Can you use it more than once? Does it take a long time to clay bar an average car?

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
rongos

Post by rongos »

I'm not young anymore and just want my car to look great for the least amount of work. I wax three or four times a year.

When I was younger and waxed more often, I used Meguiars because the conventional thinking is that it looks more shiny and is supposedly worth the extra effort to wax often, but I switched to NuFinish because it lasts much longer and, to me, still looks great.
Y.A.Tittle

Post by Y.A.Tittle »

Using a claybar is easy, far easier than applying wax.

After washing I double rinse the bucket and fill it with 2 inches of water and just a bit of liquid soap. This is your surface lubricant.

Take the claybar and knead with your hands to soften it. Flatten it into a small pancake. Re-rinse the car and let the water stand.

Dip the claybar into the soapy water and just wipe it over the painted surfaces with light pressure. It will pick off embedded dirt and other contaminents. Be careful around door edges and sharp trim peices because they will rip the clay and you will have to scrape it our with your fingernail.

Work a small area, dip the clay into the sopay water and move along. Fold the claybar regularly to keep a clean side out. It takes less time to claybar a clean car than to wash it. Use plenty of water.

Put the claybar into an airtight container when you're done and its good until the next time. Rinse and wax your car.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Using a clay bar is easy and only takes 10-15 minutes per vehicle. I would recommend watching a few youtube videos to get an idea of how it is done. You need to have the surface wet and then slide a small piece of clay (maybe a silver dollar pancake or slightly bigger size and shape) across the surface of the vehicle. As the clay picks up contaminants, you can feel the resistance to sliding the clay decrease. When the surface of the clay is dirty, fold the clay several times to expose a new clean portion of the clay and form a new "silver dollar pancake". Very easy to do once you get the hang of it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

feh wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:11 pmI hate waxing, but live in a state where plenty of salt is used on the roads in the winter. I want something that protects for a long time, which is Zaino.
I too live in a state that uses salt and haven't waxed any of my cars which are 3, 10 (just traded off two months ago), & 20 years old. None of them have rust and only get washed three or four times a year. Modern paint technology is much improved over three decades ago.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Thanks for the tips on using the clay bar. I think I'll give it a try next time I wax the car.

Francis
feh

Post by feh »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:07 pm
feh wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:11 pmI hate waxing, but live in a state where plenty of salt is used on the roads in the winter. I want something that protects for a long time, which is Zaino.
I too live in a state that uses salt and haven't waxed any of my cars which are 3, 10 (just traded off two months ago), & 20 years old. None of them have rust and only get washed three or four times a year. Modern paint technology is much improved over three decades ago.
There's no doubt the paints are much better now. One of our cars is 15 years old and hasn't been waxed in years, but is rust free.

But, there is a difference between rust free and looking good. If you want the car to look good after 10 years, I think the finish needs to be maintained.
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

Have used Griot's products for years with outstanding results. +1 on others comments that unless you enjoy doing so modern cars really don't need to be waxed. As an aside, using a high quality car cover pays off in spades for keeping the paint in top condition.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Yes "Wax On Wax Off"!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ That's all you need to know: Wax On, Wax Off - The Karate Kid
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Before I wax for the fall, does anyone have recommendations on touch up paint? I have some scratches and tiny dings, mostly on doors and door edges. Is the brush cap paint better, or the paint pen?

Some recommendations say to sand (ughh!), prime, touch up, and then touch up again with clear coat. Is the sanding and priming really recommended for small areas, maybe a few millimeters across? I'd appreciate any tips! I will order OEM touch up paint for a few bucks.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

criticalmass wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:51 pm I have some scratches....
How to Remove Scratches from Car PERMANENTLY (EASY)

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post and reply. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.

...At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable. If you feel that someone has attacked you or otherwise violated the policies of this forum, do not respond in kind. Instead, please click the report button on the offending post. This is the quickest method to notify the site moderators.