$700 to install a dishwasher seem by a plumber?!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
knightrider

$700 to install a dishwasher seem by a plumber?!

Post by knightrider »

Our run-of-the mill dishwasher needs replacing and our condo requires the installation be done by a licensed plumber. I sent photos to two different plumbers in Chicago. They both surprisingly quoted me $700! I could not believe why it was so high. In past I have it done for less than $150 by regular appliance installers.

There is nothing unusual about this dishwasher, so the quotes make no sense to me. Could someone shed some light on why they would charge this? It makes me afraid of ever having to use a plumber.
8foot7

Re: $700 to install a dishwasher seem by a plumber?!

Post by 8foot7 »

They don't want the job.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

How will the condo association know?

I would do the install myself, assuming you are physically able.

JT
Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

8foot7 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 pm They don't want the job.
Interesting. In that case why bother even replying to my inquiry? Or is $700 their "minimum"?
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

We just ordered a small (18in.) dishwasher that cost $579 and delivery and installation by the seller was an additional $159.
p0nyboy

Post by p0nyboy »

Just take the dishwasher inside and install it yourself. How would they even know you installed a dishwasher? Its not difficult.

And like someone else said...they dont want the job. They jacked the price up so high that if you agree then they will do the work because there is no way they would pass up that much money for such a simple job that will take 30 minutes.
Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

bottlecap wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:54 pm How will the condo association know?

JT
Well if some water line breaks during their install, they will know and fine me out the wazoo!

Not interested in doing it myself.
Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

p0nyboy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 pm And like someone else said...they dont want the job. They jacked the price up so high that if you agree then they will do the work because there is no way they would pass up that much money for such a simple job that will take 30 minutes.
This sound borderline unethical, i.e way overcharging someone. If I ever had a real problem I would never call them.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Good thing it's a replacement, since the connections are already in place. It would be much more $$ if they were doing it from scratch. :D
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I installed my own recently. My first step was to go to Lowes and get a hose to replace the garbage water line that came with the dishwasher. Stainless braided jacketed lines with something like 2000 psi rating. I have no interest in water leaks. Installation is dead easy. Just shut off the water line and the breaker before you start.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
p0nyboy

Post by p0nyboy »

knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:57 pm
p0nyboy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 pm And like someone else said...they dont want the job. They jacked the price up so high that if you agree then they will do the work because there is no way they would pass up that much money for such a simple job that will take 30 minutes.
This sound borderline unethical, i.e way overcharging someone. If I ever had a real problem I would never call them.
You've missed the boat on this one. Good thing you do not want to do the install yourself. It is unethical...but if some chump is willing to shell out $700 for someone to install a dishwasher...they'll happily accept it. Like shooting fish in a barrel. I dont blame them at all.

nuff said...im out
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Some plumbers are only interested in bigger jobs (whereby they can make a day out of something) and thus turn down smaller jobs by offering a high price.
I'd get some more quotes. See if you neighbors have a name.
jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke »

The only things I can think of are your pictures showed some significant issues that would have to be addressed, they don't want the job and are pricing their quote as such, OR you didn't specify that you were supplying the dishwasher....

I'd call and ask for clarification and, if there isn't some massive problem they have to fix, I'd call 4 other plumbers for quotes if they don't get to a reasonable price.
Last edited by jlcnuke on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Seems expensive to me but then again it is Chicago.
We recently purchased a Bosch from Lowes.
The took out the old one ,installed the new one in about half an hour.
I believe the installation was 99.00.
700 is off the charts.
Check out lowes in your area.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 pm
Well if some water line breaks during their install, they will know and fine me out the wazoo!

Then be held hostage by contractors. No water line will break and its an easy job, just slightly harder than hooking up a garden hose. If it breaks in the future, blame it on some plumber who's name you don't remember.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

yes, that price is outrageous, but then plumbers make bank. Travel time to your apt, install time, travel time home.

fwiw: our dishwasher is not an easy install since we added a hardwood floor and its a tight fit under the kitchen counter.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 pm

JT

You only other option is to shop around. The job is simple, don't pay more than you need to.

JT
ved

Post by ved »

knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:46 pm Our run-of-the mill dishwasher needs replacing and our condo requires the installation be done by a licensed plumber. I sent photos to two different plumbers in Chicago. They both surprisingly quoted me $700! I could not believe why it was so high. In past I have it done for less than $150 by regular appliance installers.

There is nothing unusual about this dishwasher, so the quotes make no sense to me. Could someone shed some light on why they would charge this? It makes me afraid of ever having to use a plumber.
Because the flight charges from Chicago to your town is around $600 :D
Seriously, why don't you ask the salesperson at the store, where you are planning to buy the appliance at, for delivery and installation - usually about $100 or so.
celia

Post by celia »

If it's a simple installation, likely replacing an existing appliance, I've seen the delivery person install it for free. So it isn't just free delivery, but also installation. Try Home Depot and Lowe's.

Or does the $700 also include the price of the dishwasher?
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

If you run into a plumber at work, store, gym or anywhere ask for a cash price or if the guy does work on the side (outside of his company).
Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:21 pm If it's a simple installation, likely replacing an existing appliance, I've seen the delivery person install it for free. So it isn't just free delivery, but also installation. Try Home Depot and Lowe's.

$700 is for labor only. Since it involves plumbing lines, the condo rules state it must be done by a licensed plumber. So some handyman from Craigslist won't be allowed. Are the installers from Home depot licensed plumbers?
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

I have replaced dishwashers in rental condos, and they too required licensed plumbers do the job.
I bought the dishwashers from Home Depot, they installed the new ones and took away the old ones for roughly $150. I never inquired if they used "licensed plumbers". I never even advised the condo board that I was replacing them, and if I had I would have given them the receipts from HD indicating that installation was included.
Yankuba

Post by Yankuba »

Ask a friend or coworker for a plumber. Check Angie's List (it's free to join). It should be a $150 job
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

I bought a dishwasher from Costco for $700. I put it on my Costco Visa and it has a 4 year warranty as a result. That was $50 more than the cheapest I could find elsewhere, but had a 4 year warranty.

Do you know how much install, delivery and take away of old unit was? Zero. Nada. Nothing.

Go to Costco.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:27 pm
celia wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:21 pm If it's a simple installation, likely replacing an existing appliance, I've seen the delivery person install it for free. So it isn't just free delivery, but also installation. Try Home Depot and Lowe's.

$700 is for labor only. Since it involves plumbing lines, the condo rules state it must be done by a licensed plumber. So some handyman from Craigslist won't be allowed. Are the installers from Home depot licensed plumbers?
How do they define plumbing lines? I'd read that as anything behind/upstream of the shutoff valve under the sink. Don't be afraid to break stupid rules if you can easily get away with it.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I would guess that nobody in your building knows a licensed plumber needs to do the install. They just buy the dishwasher and have the store do the install and haul away. You should do the same....ignorance is bliss
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

$700 sounds reasonable for a licensed plummer in Chicago:

$200 for install/plummer
$100 for parking
$400 for security team

Sorry.

:beer

Post by 123 »

We replaced our dishwasher by buying one on-line from Best Buy. Installation was included in the price so it was a better deal at the time then elsewhere. Best Buy sent a team of 2 guys out to deliver and install it. Everything went well.

As far as I know they installation team Best Buy sent out had all necessary licenses and credentials. I didn't ask any questions. They didn't volunteer any info. We're all good.

Maybe you need to get the install done when no one from the condo police is around. Best Buy had a pretty flexible schedule, maybe some weekday evening or the first thing on a Sunday morning would be possible.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
celia

Post by celia »

knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:27 pm

They sub-contract out to various licensed trades they have supposedly checked-out ahead of time but the delivery people probably aren't licensed tradesmen since they deliver a variety of appliances, many of which don't use water. For example, maybe they are bringing you a dishwasher and oven in the same visit and might be able to install both of them, but the delivery crew won't be a plumber and electrician. How hard is it to plug in a dishwasher and oven and attach the water lines? The hard part is lifting the stuff and getting it into position without damaging the floor.

When I said "supposedly checked-out", they probably do background checks and verify some referrals/jobs they have done and confirm that they are licensed. (You can ask when you call up.) The tradesmen contract with HD ahead of time, probably at a fixed hourly cost. HD gets a cut of the cost, but to the consumer it is probably the same as if they called the tradesman themselves. The tradesman benefits since HD is sending them a steady stream of business so will often agree to the reduced price they get. We like it since if the job was done through HD, they guarantee it.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

celia

Post by celia »

123 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:01 pm Maybe you need to get the install done when no one from the condo police is around. Best Buy had a pretty flexible schedule, maybe some weekday evening or the first thing on a Sunday morning would be possible.
... or ask some condo board members where they bought their dishwashers and who installed them. They can't forbid you from buying from HD and Best Buy. But really...

Do they require an electrician to install an oven or microwave? If not, it sounds like a condo board member is a plumber and is looking for more business.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:46 pm Our run-of-the mill dishwasher needs replacing and our condo requires the installation be done by a licensed plumber.
If you definitely decide your only option is to follow condo rules to the letter and pay thru the nose for a licensed plumber, I suggest you first confirm with the condo board that they require this for the replacement of an existing dishwasher. I can see some logic in requiring a plumber for an initial installation (even though I would DIY). However I consider replacement very different from an INSTALLATION since all of the required plumbing connections are already in place. Who knows, maybe there are some reasonable people on your condo's BOD.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Does this even count as "plumbing?"

There's a flexible hose after the shutoff valve that is probably connected to the dishwasher by a hose clamp, or something, right? I know I've done this twice before, and it was so inconsequential I don't even remember the specifics of it.
denovo

Post by denovo »

knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:46 pm Our run-of-the mill dishwasher needs replacing and our condo requires the installation be done by a licensed plumber. I sent photos to two different plumbers in Chicago. They both surprisingly quoted me $700! I could not believe why it was so high. In past I have it done for less than $150 by regular appliance installers.

Buy it from Home Depot/Lowe's/Costco and have them install it. No one from the HOA will dare say a thing, I bet.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 pm Do they require an electrician to install an oven or microwave? If not, it sounds like a condo board member is a plumber and is looking for more business.
Or they had a bad experience where a not very competent owner or handyperson did some plumbing work which caused a leak or other problem for neighboring condo owners. It can be close shared premises in a condo.
Topic Author
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

celia wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 pm Do they require an electrician to install an oven or microwave? If not, it sounds like a condo board member is a plumber and is looking for more business.
They actually do require an electrician if the installer has to put in a new outlet ( if old one was hardwired ).
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

As suggested above, double-check the HOA rules in case they don't actually require a plumber specifically.

In my state (Washington), even handymen and appliance installers are considered contractors and required to be registered with the state, bonded, and insured. I would think that should cover your condo association's concerns. There's nothing about a dishwasher replacement that should require an actual plumber.
knightrider wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:57 pm
They're not overcharging. They're simply not interested in competing on price for small jobs in the current market.

The alternative, assuming the reason for the price is simply they're effectively fully booked at the moment, would be to simply say their schedule is full, and they're not interested in taking on overtime work instead of spending that time with their family, etc.

It seems you need to either keep searching for licensed plumbers genuinely interested in additional work, do it under the radar via a store installer or handyman, or appeal to condo board to allow you to use a handyman as an exception due to the hardship caused by the current contractor market conditions.

One last thought: There is a possibility a code-interpretation issue like this person ran into applies, and that drove the cost, although the contractor would likely have told you new requirements require more work than a normal replacement if that was the case:
https://rothmanshore.com/2014/05/11/rep ... -rewiring/

I call this a code-interpretation issue because in general, updated requirements like this only apply to new construction or renovations that directly affect the item covered by the code (eg, if you were moving the circuit that powers the dishwasher or plumbing for it to a different location in your kitchen), not for like in kind replacement or repairs. However, not all inspectors read the code the same way. A plumber or electrician facing a code change like that in an area where he knows from experience the inspectors reject the normal understanding of grandfathering might refuse to take on such work without updating to the latest code.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

JT
My condo didn't have any water shut offs; it had to be done at the street. This could only be done And that is how I learned that the developer paved over half of the building shut offs when they converted from apartments to condos, without installing shutoffs for every faucet.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

I should have been a plumber. :oops:
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Last time we had a dishwasher replaced it cost us $50 - we used the 'plumber' supplied by [Home Depot / Lowes] when we bought the washer, and they hauled away the old one! That's hard to beat. It would have cost me that much just to get rid of the old washer.

:beer
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

It's a dishwasher with a power cord, a water line (hose), and a drain line (hose). This isn't real plumbing work. If you choose not to do it yourself, then have the store where you bought it send their installer for <= $100 and be done.
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

Ruger wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:41 pm I have replaced dishwashers in rental condos, and they too required licensed plumbers do the job.
I bought the dishwashers from Home Depot, they installed the new ones and took away the old ones for roughly $150. I never inquired if they used "licensed plumbers". I never even advised the condo board that I was replacing them, and if I had I would have given them the receipts from HD indicating that installation was included.
I'm surprised at folks suggesting circumventing regulations put forth in condo docs. (Note: not the original poster.)

It's relatively easy to enforce and mitigate the likelihood that "Bob" in 13A doesn't do something silly on a Sunday morning that affects 12A, 11A, 10A, etc. Will some folks do as they please? Sure. But if you want carte blanche to do as you wish (mostly), purchase a stand alone home.

In my time serving on the condo board serving our ~350 units, I've found that most folks pass around information about good/bad installation practices to the point that they synchronise with administration's requirements for licensure almost automagically. Many condo associations have message boards/chatrooms to discuss just these sorts of issues.

In the last year, our buildings saw an increase in the popularity in bidets. Five were installed. Two by licensed plumbers (no requirements names list - the folks used their choices and we recorded the proof of licensure and insurance) and three using ... handymen (they did not notify Administration of their plans to install). The three by handymen leaked, causing many thousands of dollars of damage. Repair costs were assessed to the unit owners, as well as fines for violating the binding agreements they signed when they moved in.

As an aside, we're not a heavy handed board. We do default to code, though, if we cannot achieve unanimous consensus. Just ask Admin or someone on the board. It's good to know someone on the board, anyway.
Polymath.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

It's an appliance

Do you need a plumber to hook up your clothes washing machine? The installation is nearly identical.
VGisforme

Post by VGisforme »

Hard to find folks to do work lately, everyone is booked!

You're Chicagoland so go to Abt in person or online and order your dishwasher, they'll do white glove delivery and install. Make sure to haggle with them on price, helps if you're buying more stuff.

I love Abt and am in no way affiliated. I'm sure most Condos in Chicago area you've seen an Abt truck outside delivering any manner of appliances.

Other option if you really want to have a license plumber, if you have a social site for your condo see if anyone else is interested in plumbing work. Maybe you can co-ordinate the dates and get someone to do the work (maybe a dishwasher and water heater or toliet etc.).
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Toons wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:04 pm Seems expensive to me but then again it is Chicago.
700 is off the charts.
Same experience.Whirlpool DW from Lowes.$99 installation,no sales tax.

PS: I live in a Condo.
All the Best, | Joe
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

8foot7 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 pm They don't want the job.
Or they know where the OP lives and that s/he is required to use a licensed plumber.
Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 »

They won't let ABT do the instal? ( for those who don't know ABT is a Chicago area base retailer who has consistently won kudos from Consumer Repoerts...my own experiences in the more than 40 years I have used' them are incredible) Given that they are one of the most reputable outfits in the country and 100 percent stand behind everything I find that really surprising. And ABT will charge very little for the install. I'd choose them over a licensed plumber any day.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Plumbers are giving you outrageous quotes because it's not their job to install appliances.
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

I have been looking for a new washer and dryer and went on Costco website. if you are a member, they deliver and install the items for no upcharge. Might want to check if it applies to dishwashers.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Toons wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:04 pm Seems expensive to me but then again it is Chicago.
700 is off the charts.
In my area Lowe's seems to hire random people to do installs. I was naive enough to think they had competent Lowe's employees doing this.