Alternative to Google Finance? [Portfolios feature deprecated]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
retire57

Alternative to Google Finance? [Portfolios feature deprecated]

Post by retire57 »

Getting this message from Google's Portfolio Tracker :

Google Finance is under renovation. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won't be available after mid-November 2017. To keep a copy, download your portfolio.

Any suggested alternatives?
barnaclebob

Re: Alternative to Google Finance?

Post by barnaclebob »

Just saw this too. They always manage to take away some of the features I use most. I didn't actually track my portfolio there but just had the ETF equivalents of my mutual funds for a quick way to check on the daily performance. I assume they'll still have a way to be able to input ticker symbols and track their performance.

Anyone remember the discussions search option? It would search through forum results so you could type in a question and get results from people who actually had the same problem and possibly solved it...sigh.
CrownVic

Post by CrownVic »

I like Yahoo Finance, it's not too shabby
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Sometimes I wish I was paying so I can demand my money back.
MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm Just saw this too. They always manage to take away some of the features I use most. I didn't actually track my portfolio there but just had the ETF equivalents of my mutual funds for a quick way to check on the daily performance. I assume they'll still have a way to be able to input ticker symbols and track their performance.
Exactly what I do. It is the main reason I use Google Finance - maybe they'll be keeping it but you'd need to resubmit your info after this "renovation" due to structural changes on the front/back end?
Last edited by MindTheGAAP on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Chuck wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 pm Sometimes I wish I was paying so I can demand my money back.
One does not pay if one is the product. This point is always useful to remember when it comes to Google and similar companies.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm Just saw this too. They always manage to take away some of the features I use most. I didn't actually track my portfolio there but just had the ETF equivalents of my mutual funds for a quick way to check on the daily performance. I assume they'll still have a way to be able to input ticker symbols and track their performance.

Anyone remember the discussions search option? It would search through forum results so you could type in a question and get results from people who actually had the same problem and possibly solved it...sigh.
Morningstar does a good job of Portfolio tracking with ETFs in place of Mutual funds.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

CrownVic wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:22 pm I like Yahoo Finance, it's not too shabby
:shock:

I left Yahoo because it became horrible! :oops:

Few times I've gone back, hasn't improved. IMO

I'm tracking some holdings via a Google Sheets spreadsheet. I wonder if that's being taken down as well.

https://business.tutsplus.com/tutorials ... -cms-28182
Last edited by inbox788 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

CrownVic wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:22 pm I like Yahoo Finance, it's not too shabby
+1 - Yahoo Finance is exactly what I use for my bookmarked equivalent ETFs for my index funds so I can check on intraday performance. Just list the tickers separated by commas in the URL https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/vti,vxus,bnd

For my actual portfolio, I use a Google Spreadsheet with Google Finance commands, which appears to still be working, so perhaps is not affected by the Google Finance renovation.

Good intro here: https://business.tutsplus.com/tutorials ... -cms-28182
Good guide to the syntax here: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en
Last edited by Ice-9 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

I can track all my holdings in Vanguard, even if they are not housed there.
drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 »

Renovation? Good! I hope this means they will FINALLY move away from Flash.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

I have my portfolio in an Apple numbers spreadsheet which pulls in quotes from yahoo finance nightly. I'm very happy with how it's working. Prices update anywhere from shortly after market close to later in the night. No glitches after several months of use. The main reason I like everything in a spreadsheet is that it's very handy for running calculations off the actual portfolio totals and AA.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I use Morningstar with the custom columns of data I want and then export to excel as needed. I can update everything in less than 2 minutes which would include walking in the room, turning on the lights, starting and logging in to the computer and then logging into M*.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

triceratop wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:26 pm One does not pay if one is the product.
Tell that to Equifax. :(
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I used Yahoo years ago and switched to Google because it was so much better even though they had some significant issues with the charts and basically treated it as a legacy product with no updates or support for years. I guess I will have to switch back to Yahoo but will miss having multiple portfolios on the same page as well as the clean user interface. I also use other Google products and don't really use any other Yahoo products.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

dwickenh wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Morningstar does a good job of Portfolio tracking with ETFs in place of Mutual funds.

Dan
Have come to dislike M* more and more? Everytime I go there I get a 'pop up' I have to click off of (despite running blockers). Then, I often (not always) get this awful beta site which takes time to load and I'm not a fan of.

Dunno? Its useful for research but everytime I enter the site its kinda frustrating

Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

F150HD wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Dan
Have come to dislike M* more and more? Everytime I go there I get a 'pop up' I have to click off of (despite running blockers). Then, I often (not always) get this awful beta site which takes time to load and I'm not a fan of.

Dunno? Its useful for research but everytime I enter the site its kinda frustrating

Agree that without a subscription it can be aggravating. I do not subscribe as I think the price is too high for the product.
I get the pop ups also, but can almost click to "close" spot before they even show up!!

Best to you F150HD,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Suman

Post by Suman »

I can track all my holdings in Vanguard, even if they are not housed there.
How do you handle different lots of same fund? When I add more shares to a fund, it just adds it up and gives the total number of shares. This way I can not see rate of return.
k66

Post by k66 »

Will the "googlefinance()" function (as employed in Google sheets) still work during the shutdown?
LOSER of the Boglehead Contest 2015 | lang may yer lum reek
limeyx

Post by limeyx »

remomnyc wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:54 pm I can track all my holdings in Vanguard, even if they are not housed there.
Yup, I have been doing this too. Kind of painful to update the quantities but doable
Topic Author
retire57

Post by retire57 »

remomnyc wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:54 pm I can track all my holdings in Vanguard, even if they are not housed there.
Obviously. But I'm talking about watching the prices throughout the trading day. (Using the ETF-equivalent symbol).
learning_head

Post by learning_head »

Ice-9 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:50 pm Yahoo Finance [...] Just list the tickers separated by commas in the URL https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/vti,vxus,bnd
Thank you, Ice-9, for this info! Just in time too: my Google tickers all expired again, like they do every month as I don't like to be signed in all the time; and instead, I just now started using bookmarked URL with my holdings like one above.
Topic Author
retire57

Post by retire57 »

learning_head wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:17 am
Ice-9 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:50 pm Yahoo Finance [...] Just list the tickers separated by commas in the URL https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/vti,vxus,bnd
Thank you, Ice-9, for this info! Just in time too: my Google tickers all expired again, like they do every month as I don't like to be signed in all the time; and instead, I just now started using bookmarked URL with my holdings like one above.
I looked at Yahoo Finance, but it appears the portfolio can only be set up via their app, which I don't want.
dignan

Google Finance - Portfolios deprecation information

Post by dignan »

For those that use Google Finance Portfolios, it won't be available after mid-November 2017.
https://support.google.com/finance/answer/7534448
KirklandCoug

Re: Google Finance - Portfolios deprecation information

Post by KirklandCoug »

I saw that. Not happy but hopefully it comes back better than ever.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Alternative to Google Finance? [Portfolios feature deprecated]

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged dignan's thread into the on-going discussion. I also retitled the thread for clarity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
kramer

Post by kramer »

The Google Finannce app on Android also seems to be completely deprecated, it stopped updating daily stock prices a few weeks ago and so I recently uninstalled it.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

Google Sheets still works for current or past stock data. You could keep a portfolio in a sheet and see the current price for each stock or fund.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en
b.lock

Post by b.lock »

triceratop wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:26 pm
Chuck wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 pm Sometimes I wish I was paying so I can demand my money back.
One does not pay if one is the product. This point is always useful to remember when it comes to Google and similar companies.
My thoughts exactly. If you aren't paying, you aren't the customer.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pmAnyone remember the discussions search option? It would search through forum results so you could type in a question and get results from people who actually had the same problem and possibly solved it...sigh.
When the selection went away, you could still put something in the url to force a discussion search. But I found it less useful after a while. Don't know if it's still possible today. (maybe was something like type=dsc but can't find it now)

Now I just use the word forum in the google search to include discussions.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

retire57 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:24 am
I looked at Yahoo Finance, but it appears the portfolio can only be set up via their app, which I don't want.
No app or login needed. Just (1) copy/paste the URL above and replace the tickers with the ones you're interested in, separated by commas. Then (2) bookmark in your browser.
Topic Author
retire57

Post by retire57 »

Ice-9 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:26 pm
No app or login needed. Just (1) copy/paste the URL above and replace the tickers with the ones you're interested in, separated by commas. Then (2) bookmark in your browser.
Then why do I keep getting this message?

Watchlists are only available on the Yahoo Finance app!
Free real-time data
News and price alerts
Add and edit holdings
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I wrote my own on-line app for doing this.

I used to use Yahoo to update the prices. But, when it was purchased, this "feature" went away. I now use Bloomberg to get my quotes.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

retire57 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Free real-time data
News and price alerts
Add and edit holdings
That's something they offer beyond what I'm suggesting. To simply check on the daily performance of a portfolio, you can just bookmark a Yahoo Finance URL with the tickers separated by commas in your browser. For more permanent tracking, as I state above, I use a Google Spreadsheet.
AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch »

Ice-9 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 pm
retire57 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Free real-time data
News and price alerts
Add and edit holdings
That's something they offer beyond what I'm suggesting. To simply check on the daily performance of a portfolio, you can just bookmark a Yahoo Finance URL with the tickers separated by commas in your browser. For more permanent tracking, as I state above, I use a Google Spreadsheet.
Good tip! The comma separated symbols in the URL works like a charm for quickie multiple price checks.
:sharebeer
bcowan12

Post by bcowan12 »

F150HD wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Dan

If you just want to use their portfolio feature, you should bookmark your portfolio page instead of their home page. That stupid pop up only appears on the home page -- usually after I've scrolled down to read something, and have to scroll back up to clear it.

Bruce
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

bcowan12 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am

If you just want to use their portfolio feature, you should bookmark your portfolio page instead of their home page. That stupid pop up only appears on the home page -- usually after I've scrolled down to read something, and have to scroll back up to clear it.

Bruce
Thanks. Though, if one uses M* at work, on phone, on tablet, at home...

The 'beta' site s*cks though (to me)...seems it randomly loads every 3rd time or so? Just not a fan of it. Seems at work the beta site doesn't load? unsure why.

Clearly there are items at M* which are useful when researching, but the pop up, the beta thing....keeps me away from it for general everyday financial reading.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
pascalwager

Post by pascalwager »

I've never had my spreadsheet Google tickers expire and I turn off my PC every night and even during the day.

One recent change: the ticker updates don't arrive now until after 10:30 PM PDT.
VT 60% / VFSUX 20% / TIPS 20%
cjking

Post by cjking »

A while ago I replaced my use of Google portfolio with a Google spreadsheet using the GoogleFinance function internally to retrieve prices. I don't actually look at the sheet directly, I have a daily job that that downloads it (using wget.exe) and my main investment spreadsheet uses it as a source of prices.

Having said that, since moving away from Yahoo to Google, I discovered on this forum how to retrieve prices directly into Excel from Yahoo using the webservice function, and that is the simplest/quickest way to get prices. For example, the following retrieves the price of the ticker in cell C18:-

Code: Select all

=WEBSERVICE("http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s="&C18&".L&f=l1")
(That is "f=l1" at the end of the URL, not "f=11", the code font is being a bit unhelpful there.)
weisswursty

Post by weisswursty »

I have been using an elaborate Google Sheets spreadsheet with the various finance functions that have been described in this thread. This has worked well, but requires updating holdings and dividend reinvestments manually.

Because of this, I've been using personalcapital.com lately. It automatically pulls the information from my main investment accounts at Merrill Edge and Schwab. There are also a nice variety of charts and graphs as well as slick iOS (and presumably Android) apps. However it doesn't provide any details whatsoever on the individual holdings, so you have to use something else for that...
BlueRidgePro

Post by BlueRidgePro »

Google has a history of abandoning services on short notice and leaving users to scramble. In the future, I'll avoid all Google services, like Docs, Photos, and office apps. I was a big user of Reader & that got dropped. Now they drop portfolio. They got me twice, but never again.....

Morningstar looks to be an acceptable and free replacement.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

BlueRidgePro wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:47 pm Google has a history of abandoning services on short notice and leaving users to scramble. In the future, I'll avoid all Google services, like Docs, Photos, and office apps. I was a big user of Reader & that got dropped. Now they drop portfolio. They got me twice, but never again.....

Morningstar looks to be an acceptable and free replacement.
In all fairness, Google Finance was abandoned by Google a long time ago. I am surprised it took them this long to get around to shutting it down. I don't think you have to worry about them eliminating Google Docs and Photos completely, though.

All of the big companies eliminate services on a regular basis. Verizon is getting ready to shut down AOL's AIM after 20 years.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/6/1643 ... -messenger
pollifax

Post by pollifax »

I switched to the Morningstar free portfolio tracker.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

MindTheGAAP wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm
Exactly what I do. It is the main reason I use Google Finance - maybe they'll be keeping it but you'd need to resubmit your info after this "renovation" due to structural changes on the front/back end?
Not according to them:
https://support.google.com/finance#7534448
As part of this updated experience, you’ll still be able to:
Follow the stocks you’re interested in - the list of stocks in your portfolio will be migrated into the new experience on Google automatically
Good enough for me. I find, with maybe one or two exceptions (Reader and public photo gallery), that the products or features google discontinues are the ones I never had any interest in - and I certainly consider myself a google power user.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP »

Vulcan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:21 pm
MindTheGAAP wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm
Not according to them:
https://support.google.com/finance#7534448
As part of this updated experience, you’ll still be able to:
Follow the stocks you’re interested in - the list of stocks in your portfolio will be migrated into the new experience on Google automatically
Good enough for me. I find, with maybe one or two exceptions (Reader and public photo gallery), that the products or features google discontinues are the ones I never had any interest in - and I certainly consider myself a google power user.
Perfect - even less for me to do/ mess with.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
jmk

Post by jmk »

dwickenh wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:27 pm Agree that without a subscription it can be aggravating. I do not subscribe as I think the price is too high for the product.
Is there any free service that is similar to the Morningstar "portfolio x-ray" feature?
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

jmk wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 am
dwickenh wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:27 pm Agree that without a subscription it can be aggravating. I do not subscribe as I think the price is too high for the product.
Is there any free service that is similar to the Morningstar "portfolio x-ray" feature?

The x-ray service at Morningstar has a free mode. You just have to hand enter your portfolio each time to get the X-Ray from one of the drop down categories. If you are tracking a portfolio there, just use the drop down tool box and you can enter for an X-ray.

Dan
DemoEngr

Post by DemoEngr »

I use morningstar as well. I pay for a month when doing major changes to use xray services then turn off premium the following month.
jmk

Post by jmk »

dwickenh wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:36 am
jmk wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 am Is there any free service that is similar to the Morningstar "portfolio x-ray" feature?
The x-ray service at Morningstar has a free mode. You just have to hand enter your portfolio each time to get the X-Ray from one of the drop down categories. If you are tracking a portfolio there, just use the drop down tool box and you can enter for an X-ray.
I have a portfolio there but Xray only brings up "free trial."
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

jmk wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:14 pm
dwickenh wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:36 am
jmk wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 am Is there any free service that is similar to the Morningstar "portfolio x-ray" feature?
I have a portfolio there but Xray only brings up "free trial."
Use the tools bar and look for instant X-ray on the drop down. You should not have to have a free trial for the instant x-ray. You just have to enter your tickers and add how many dollars on each fund. It will give you the complete x-ray after you enter the info.

Dan