What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
madbrain

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by madbrain »

"Stronger", in the theater. This is about the Boston marathon bombing, and one of the survivors. Much better movie than "Patriot's day' on the same subject that came out last year.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Daughter, grandson and I went to The LEGO Ninjago Movie yesterday.

Movie theatre was full of noisy kids, but was made bearable as daughter bought my ticket and also my bucket of popcorn. And the kids were happy noisy, which is easier on the ears.

I recommend the movie for any kids that like legos, and that is just about all kids, I think.

I noticed AMC has added beer and wine and more expensive edibles to the available fare. Oh well.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Went to see Mother with Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem.

You will either think it is a masterpiece or the worst movie you have ever seen.

I think it was a masterpiece. Don't think it is possible to be middle of the road with this movie. It flopped in the box office for that reason.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Love Affair (1932) Humphrey Bogart, Dorothy Mackaill.
Bogie's first leading role. Not much of a movie but fun to see a young Bogart not quite sure of himself yet as a leading man. Recommended for that reason. At one point Bogie chases on foot, catches, and jumps onto a plane accelerating for takeoff!

Summary from IMDB:
Heiress Carol Owen learns to fly from aeronautical engineer Jim Leonard (Bogart) who begins neglecting his work as their affair progresses. Things get complicated when she learns her father died penniless and that she has been supported by her financial advisor, and now suitor, Bruce Hardy.
travellight

Post by travellight »

DCChak wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 am The Big Sick - Charming rom com with Pakistani lead from Silicon Valley and strong supporting roles by Holly Hunter and Ray Ramano, produced by Judd Apatow.
How to Be a Latin Lover - Despite being panned at Rotten Tomatoes, for me this was slightly guilty, silly pleasure, also with fun supporting roles from Salma Hayek, Rob Lowe, Rob Corddry, Raquel Welsh, McKenna Grace and Kristen Bell. Mainstream-ish American introduction to Eugenio Derbez, who is apparently a big Mexican TV star.
I was walking around the neighborhood in San Marino where this was being filmed (latin lover), so I may indulge in the silly pleasure and check it out.
travellight

Post by travellight »

flamesabers wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:05 pm
Sheepdog wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 pm
magazinewriter wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:02 pm
Ninnie wrote:Their Finest. A different kind of story about Dunkirk. I really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed the series Foyle's War, you would like this.
+1

I really enjoyed this, too.
As did I. I was 7 years old when the Dunkirk retreat happened. I remember it vividly from radio and movie newsreels at the time. Yes, at that young age, it made an impression....the rescue and war in Europe and my mother and father worrying that we could enter the war too.

What was missing, IMO, was there was no real history lesson here. How did they get to this position in the first place. I knew it, but I was not sure that the later generations really understood.
I watched Dunkirk last week and I enjoyed the movie. Studying WW2 history is one of my passions, so I was already very familiar with the Dunkirk evacuation when I saw the movie.

I think the movie did an excellent job of showing the fear and despair the Allied soldiers must have felt during this significant event. I agree the movie didn't give a history lesson, but I would hope movies like this would encourage people to read up on it after watching the movie.
I really enjoyed Dunkirk last night. It is an experiential movie, kind of like taking a roller coaster ride. I think this is worth seeing on the big screen. I love reading up on the stories behind the movie when it intrigues me.
bpp

Post by bpp »

A Hologram for the King. Disappointing, in the same way Lost in Translation was, with an entire culture being reduced to a 2-D background.

Nostalghia (Tarkovsky). A much better take on the "mid-life crisis abroad" theme than the above. Recommended.

Voyage of Time: Life's Journey. Watch it with the sound off -- the inane narration not only does not contribute to the experience, but actively conflicts with the visual message. Nice visual spectacle otherwise.

Magnificent Seven (2016). Remake of a remake. Enough said.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

The Vietnam War - PBS. Very good. Should be required watching by everyone, especially politicians.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Menashe

A widower in the Hasidic community(subgroup of ultra orthodox
Judaism) of Brooklyn struggles to raise his son. By Hasidic custom
he cannot raise his son unless he remarries. The son is shuffled
between his father's home and the home of his deceased mother's
family while a resolution of this dilemma is formulated.
Services of a matchmaker are sought at various points in the movie
to find a "suitable" mate. Excellent insight into this community and
the stringent traditions handed down through generations.
corwin

Post by corwin »

Wife and I watched Wind River this weekend. I thought it was very good and she hated it. It is very bleak with some disturbing imagery. I thought the story and acting were well done.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

corwin wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:58 pm Wife and I watched Wind River this weekend. I thought it was very good and she hated it. It is very bleak with some disturbing imagery. I thought the story and acting were well done.
My wife and I also saw this movie at the theater and thought it was well done. Maybe a 7 out of 10 for me with beautiful scenery and some insight into the current plight of the American Indian. Not recommended for children due to violence.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
MJW

Post by MJW »

stemikger wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm Went to see Mother with Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem.

You will either think it is a masterpiece or the worst movie you have ever seen.

I think it was a masterpiece. Don't think it is possible to be middle of the road with this movie. It flopped in the box office for that reason.
I haven't seen the move but that seems to be the consensus on it. I noticed that they are now trying to capitalize on the extreme reactions by playing it up in their advertising. Something along the lines of "some love it, some hate it, so check it out and make up your own mind." It's probably the best thing they could do at this point given the divided reviews.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

The Vietnam War. I initially saw it as too "Burns formulaic" in production but decided to stick with it. Glad i did. The emotional impact is harrowing if you lived through that era as i and many millions alive today have. It brought back the raw emotions that era engendered no matter what side of the political spectrum you were on. With that said my wife refused to watch it and a friend who was a teacher during that time stopped watching after the first episode as it reminded him of the 4 high school students of his that died in the war. Interestingly i was in an American legion hall a few years back and while looking at plaques of fallen soldiers i noted commemorations to 4 young men who had died in Vietnam in 1967/68. They were all born in 1947. The same year as me. There but for fortune.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

MJW wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:41 pm
stemikger wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm Went to see Mother with Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem.

I haven't seen the move but that seems to be the consensus on it. I noticed that they are now trying to capitalize on the extreme reactions by playing it up in their advertising. Something along the lines of "some love it, some hate it, so check it out and make up your own mind." It's probably the best thing they could do at this point given the divided reviews.
Yeah, the opening weekend was a disaster. I think the studio screwed up by marketing it as a horror/psychological thriller. If you went to the theater thinking that, you would have hated it. However, if you knew what you were getting into, you would probably be blown away. I want to see it again.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 earlier this week. I loved the first one and we watch it quite often. However I was almost immediately bored with the sequel, I felt like it was just a ton of CGI, a silly plot, and the actors were phoning it in. I didn't link the IMDB page because it's gaudy and hung my Chrome browser trying to load all the garbage.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:17 pm Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 earlier this week. I loved the first one and we watch it quite often. However I was almost immediately bored with the sequel, I felt like it was just a ton of CGI, a silly plot, and the actors were phoning it in. I didn't link the IMDB page because it's gaudy and hung my Chrome browser trying to load all the garbage.
I did not car for it either, kind of like overstating its welcome. The 1st one was rather original but the 2nd is trite.

Caught Wind River last night. It was by Taylor Sheridan who wrote both Sicario and Hello or High Water which I enjoyed. This latest he also directed as well. Being his second, I'm a bit more forgiving about the pacing and chronology. It's a gripping crime drama, like Sicario, left you breathless. Both leads did a great job, especially Renner. Cinematography was also pristine, in more than one way. It's not for the fainted heart or children.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Lost City of Z, on Amazon prime. A British explorer searches for a hidden ancient city in South America. Not bad.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 pm Lost City of Z, on Amazon prime. A British explorer searches for a hidden ancient city in South America. Not bad.
Yes, and was based on a true story.
All the Best, | Joe
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Just stumbled across "Conspiracy" on Amazon. 2001 film about the Nazi's Final Solution conference. You just can't stop watching. Fantastic acting.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We are presently watching the latest season of "Orange is the New Black" on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

joe8d wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 pm Lost City of Z, on Amazon prime. A British explorer searches for a hidden ancient city in South America. Not bad.
I forgot to mention that I was pleasantly surprised to see Brad Pitt listed in the credits as the Executive Producer.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:54 pm We are presently watching the latest season of "Orange is the New Black" on Netflix.
We love Orange is the new black. Try Wentworth, Really Good.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Was a great book, but I couldn't make it through 30min of the movie. Considering he was the main character of one of the cheesiest and IMO worst written TV shows of all-time (Sons of Anarchy), I couldn't buy Charlie Hunnam as Percy Fawcett
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I read the book, and enjoyed it.

What was the movie like?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

Hell or High Water (2016). Ben Foster, Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges. Two brothers rob banks to pay a lien on their ranch from the same bank they're robbing. Great performances by Foster and Bridges. Gripping, well-written, great cinematography of the barren flat Texas landscape. By the same writer of Sicario and Wind River. 5/5
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We recently started "The West Wing" on Netflix. The pilot episode was very good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

amateurnovice wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:46 am Hell or High Water (2016). Ben Foster, Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges. Two brothers rob banks to pay a lien on their ranch from the same bank they're robbing. Great performances by Foster and Bridges. Gripping, well-written, great cinematography of the barren flat Texas landscape. By the same writer of Sicario and Wind River. 5/5
Have to second and third this one! Really good movie.

Also based on recommendations from this thread I watched The Big Sick and enjoyed it, so thanks!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 am
I read the book, and enjoyed it.

What was the movie like?
I didn't read the book, but thought the movie dragged on in a few spots. I'll assume that reading the book would fill you in on what's missing. On its own, it's worth watching for free.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Watched 2 this week-
First up "The Dinner" which I know several posters had good things to say about. Assumed DW and I would really like, she being a long time Gere fan with a clause in our marriage contract that she has permission to leave me for him, and I liking past performances of a number of other cast members.
So we really, really wanted to like this movie, and we liked the clever dialog in the first half, and the plot development, and the foodie presentation but the characters themselves became unlikeable by the end and it ended with a scene where the credits start rolling and we were left to ask each other "that's it?" Also, not sure if it was just my blue ray but I found the sound during important exchanges to be muddled and had to raise the volume and roll back to hear what was just said.
Second try, recommended by a blogger not associated with BH, was Music and Lyrics (2007) with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore... OK, It is a RomCom so if that bar is too low for you I understand. But, and this was the point made by the blogger, if you are interested in the "creative process" and how artists of all stripes come up with "art" this movie captures what writers, musicians, painters go through when starting with a blank piece of paper, particularly under deadline. Excellent caricature of early 80's pop music in the early days of MTV woven into the script too.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Victoria and Abdul.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Dressmaker, on Amazon Prime. In spite of getting numerous awards, I was bored. Perhaps much of the Australian humor was lost on a US audience. Every time I thought the movie would end, another twist showed up. Perhaps that was the intended humor. I'd skip it.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Blade Runner 2049. I thought it was absolutely stunning, one of my favorites of the year along with Logan and John Wick: Chapter 2. See it on the biggest screen you can find. It expands on the themes from the original in fascinating ways (what does it mean to be human/have rights, what does it mean to have a soul, relationships between creators and creations). I recommend rewatching the original and reading about the Deckard theories if you haven't seen the original in a while.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Death in Paradise, available on Netflix.

This is a BBC television series of 40 one-hour episodes, murder mysteries set in the British Virgin Islands and solved by a group of four police officers. We are about halfway through the series. This series is addictive, very good.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
jpdion

Post by jpdion »

Viceroy's House -- very good historical look at the partition of India in 1947

A Quiet Passion -- very interesting biopic about Emily Dickinson

Both well done movies.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 am Death in Paradise, available on Netflix.

This is a BBC television series of 40 one-hour episodes, murder mysteries set in the British Virgin Islands and solved by a group of four police officers. We are about halfway through the series. This series is addictive, very good.
Yes, and they are still filming more episodes. I was interested to learn that Danny John-Jules, who plays Officer Dwayne Myers, was in one of my favorite movies, Little Shop of Horrors (1986). He was one of the doo-wop street singers.

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Ketawa wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 am Blade Runner 2049. I thought it was absolutely stunning, one of my favorites of the year along with Logan and John Wick: Chapter 2. See it on the biggest screen you can find. It expands on the themes from the original in fascinating ways (what does it mean to be human/have rights, what does it mean to have a soul, relationships between creators and creations). I recommend rewatching the original and reading about the Deckard theories if you haven't seen the original in a while.
+1

What a brilliant film. You have to see the original Blade Runner. My favorite movie of the year. The soundtrack is amazing. It's long and not alot of action but it doesn't need action. Such a beautiful film.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Saw "Gifted" on the plane about a young math prodigy and a custody battle. It was thought-provoking.

Also saw Beauty & the Beast (latest Disney version) which was well done. Also saw China baby animals movie also in airplane--reminiscent of National Geographic.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

Has anyone seen "The Death of Stalin"? I saw a trailer, and it was hilarious. It's officially released, I think, but not available anywhere I can find. Did I miss it?
Nothing to say, really.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Death of Stalin release date is later this month.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

" The Upside" a warm, funny, and well acted remake of a French film based on a true story of a rich man dealing with quadriplegic realities who hires a black parolee to be his caretaker and no lifelong friend. Kevin Hart is very good and so is Brian Cranston.

"The Florida Project" thought provoking and disturbing look at life on the margins in the shadow of the "world's happiest place". Fantastic child actors.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Milo

Post by Milo »

lostdog wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:27 pm
Ketawa wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 am Blade Runner 2049. I thought it was absolutely stunning, one of my favorites of the year along with Logan and John Wick: Chapter 2. See it on the biggest screen you can find. It expands on the themes from the original in fascinating ways (what does it mean to be human/have rights, what does it mean to have a soul, relationships between creators and creations). I recommend rewatching the original and reading about the Deckard theories if you haven't seen the original in a while.
+1

What a brilliant film. You have to see the original Blade Runner. My favorite movie of the year. The soundtrack is amazing. It's long and not alot of action but it doesn't need action. Such a beautiful film.

I also recommend seeing the first Blade Runner: The Final Cut if you haven't seen it yet before going to see Blade Runner: 2049. In addition, there are three YouTube short story video clips that fill in some of the story between the two full length movies. Those are worth checking out also before BR 2049. I was impressed by how closely the movie's makers remained faithful to the atmosphere or feel of the original given they were using today's technology to continue a 30 year old story.
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

Siege of Jadotville on Netflix.... We thought it was good....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Milo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:56 pm
lostdog wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:27 pm
+1

I also recommend seeing the first Blade Runner: The Final Cut if you haven't seen it yet before going to see Blade Runner: 2049. In addition, there are three YouTube short story video clips that fill in some of the story between the two full length movies. Those are worth checking out also before BR 2049. I was impressed by how closely the movie's makers remained faithful to the atmosphere or feel of the original given they were using today's technology to continue a 30 year old story.
Why did this film have a low turn out? Some articles mention the demographic was 30 and older males came out to see it, plus the R rating. Is the younger crowd suffering from short attention spans?
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I have never watched the first Bladerunner. I am considering renting it so I can go watch the new one in the theaters.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Obit. Documentary about the obituary writers on the New York Times. Caught it on an Emirates flight. Surprisingly good film about the job of an obit writer and reflections on life in general.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

Run Lola Run. A very creative 1998 German film dubbed in English on some basic cable movie stations.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

vbdoug wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:26 pm Run Lola Run. A very creative 1998 German film dubbed in English on some basic cable movie stations.
That’s one of my favorites of all time. I remember enough German to have enjoyed it with subtitles rather than dubbed. It has elements of Memento.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Chims77

Post by Chims77 »

Life - Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhaal - thought the acting was very good

Hidden Figures - probably my favorite film of the year ( and i thought i'd hate it reading the synposis)

Get out - bit under the radar but oh so good...
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Blade Runner 2049. Inventive sci-fi. The style is very film noir.

Recommended.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

lostdog wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:44 am Why did this film have a low turn out? Some articles mention the demographic was 30 and older males came out to see it, plus the R rating. Is the younger crowd suffering from short attention spans?
Blade Runner 2049 is number one at the box office this week, so not quite sure what you mean by low turnout.
I haven't seen it yet, but am looking forward to it. Just upgraded my home theater to a 4K projector - Optoma UHD65 with a 106" screen - and Marantz SR7011 receiver with Dolby Atmos, and will be watching the 4K UHD Blu-ray disc of "The final cut" of the first movie at home soon, and then the sequel in a public theater afterwards.

Lately, I watched Passengers at home in BR UHD - looks great, but not such a good movie.
Pretty much feel the same about Guardians of the Galaxy 2. That was cringe worthy. Good thing someone loaned me the UHD disc and I didn't buy this one. Soundtrack is awesome, though.
I watched "The magnificent seven" also at home on BR UHD. Great movie, great sound too.
I have a stack of about 12 more BR UHD movies I bought in various sales, most still wrapped - though I have seen many of them already before.

I have been so upset with the horrible audiences in my recent movie theater experiences that I really dread going now, and am looking forward to watching more at home and less in theaters. That was a big motivation for upgrading my home theater. I have two more speakers on order that will arrive next tuesday, some PSB elevation. That will complete my 7.4.4 audio setup . I do need some new seating also as the old sofa set in fake leather have ripped and it's time to replace.