Do you subscribe to digital newspapers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mudpuppy

Re: Do you subscribe to digital newspapers?

Post by Mudpuppy »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:51 pm Also footnotes are a problem. I found this out when reading the first volume of Mark Twain's autobiography on my Kindle. This book is about 2/3 autobiography and about 1/3 footnotes which are all in the back of the book, not on the page. No way was I going to skip ahead each time and read the footnotes -- so I just gave up on them.
A properly formatted e-book should have hyperlinks that you can "click" (which is really a tap for a touch-screen) to jump straight to the footnotes. Depending on the e-reader used, you may need to bookmark your current page to go back to it, although some e-readers will go back to your previous point after you finish reading the footnote.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

pangea33 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 am Forgive me if this has already been posted, but i didn't see it upthread. A digital subscription to the Washington Post is free for six months to Amazon Prime members.
There's also a "Prime Exclusive Deal" currently to have it renew at $3.99/month after the 6 month free trial, instead of Washington Posts's normal $10/month rate. I don't know how long that deal has been running or for how many months it will renew at the lower rate, because I don't use my Prime account to subscribe to Washington Post.

I have a subscription to Washington Post that comes complimentary with my local newspaper subscription. Many local newspapers provide a complimentary subscription to Washington Post along with the subscription to the local paper. That has been mentioned upthread, but bears repeating. You can support local journalism and get a subscription to Washington Post to boot for those local newspapers which have this partnership.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

KarenC wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 am As someone who favors ebooks, I like the idea of digital newspapers (and magazines). There is one advantage of printed newspapers, however, that I didn’t appreciate until the digital versions appeared: no animated embedded ads.

I’m not talking about ad pages that one can swipe past to get to more content, but rather those ads that are displayed right alongside the content. If the ad is static, I can ignore it. If the ad is animated, however, it just drives me crazy.
Even worse are the ads that cover up the content, particularly when they load after the page loads, so you're part-way through reading the article and up pops an ad. I'm trying to train my Google News feed to stop displaying articles from the local TV news station that has a website like this.
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 am
BC_Doc wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:24 am I subscribe to the NYT online for $4.00 per month for an academic subscription (faculty rate).
How come I am paying $10 a month for the faculty rate??
I’m not sure. I’m in Canada and it’s for the digital version. The price was right for me— made it even harder for me to justify paying six times the price or the Globe and Mail.
rob

Post by rob »

I have not had a paper version in decades.... Never moved to the digital versions as lost faith in "news". When I have more time I will do a digital sub to the economist or alike.

I do miss the old-timers on the TUBE (London)... folding the financial times is a lost art form... just amazing to watch.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

I get the WSJ digitally and read it most days. If you scour the internet, there are sometimes deals to be found...
scotgirl100

Post by scotgirl100 »

I read the digital Chicago Tribune daily and I get the printed version on Sunday. I think I read more articles when I read the printed version on the train everyday. You tend to skip more with the digital version. I also have digital NYT.
I think it is important to subscribe to a newspaper even if digital. Much as we find fault with editorial content, a strong free press is essential to our country.

I have ebooks which are great but still prefer paper books as well. But if you are traveling digital takes up way less space (as long as you remember the charger!!)
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

KarenC wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 am I cope by, for the most part, getting my news via Reddit, Twitter, and RSS. The news content from those sources is in the form of HTML documents, so I’m able to employ Safari's Reader mode (which gives me just the words and, usually, only the images that are associated with the content). (Chrome, naturally, has plugins available to do the equivalent.)
I often change the User Agent in the browser header and that automatically brings me into "mobile" mode at some news sites. This is easy to do with the browser extension PrefBar. It comes with pre-added User Agents and I add my own. The site I use to get new User Agents is: http://useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php

Another nice thing about PrefBar is that it helps people who browse without javascript. Some sites won't allow you read content without javascript unless the User Agent is changed.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

scotgirl100 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:18 am I read the digital Chicago Tribune daily and I get the printed version on Sunday. I think I read more articles when I read the printed version on the train everyday. You tend to skip more with the digital version. I also have digital NYT.
I think it is important to subscribe to a newspaper even if digital. Much as we find fault with editorial content, a strong free press is essential to our country.

I have ebooks which are great but still prefer paper books as well. But if you are traveling digital takes up way less space (as long as you remember the charger!!)
I wouldn't have a problem with newspapers if they kept the opinion/editorial comment in the editorial/opinion pages - the problem is now most newspapers put bias all the way into the front-page headlines. To get both viewpoints I would need to read both Boston Herald along with Boston Globe; Or Washington Times along with Washington Post; similarly for NYT, etc.
You might be good with the Chicago Tribune (I'm not personally familiar with them).
If I could get my local metro-paper without the sensationalized and biased headlines I wouldn't hesitate subscribing.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:51 pm
Fallible wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 pm ...
Much has been written about the future of print newspapers and the possibilities seem endless. Having been in journalism and with some friends also retired or still in the business, we often discuss the latest articles such as this good one from Columbia Journalism Review headlined "Print is Dead. Long Live Print."
https://www.cjr.org/special_report/prin ... meback.php

Good article, thanks. I agree with the author: I'm more distracted reading things online than in print, probably I absorb less too. I find that I have so much more to read now that I'm sometimes at a loss as to what I really want to read. Also when the reading gets just a little bit tough or slightly boring I tend to give up on what I'm reading too easily and jump to the next thing, and this repeats.

I've also found that I don't like reading Kindle books. I can't tell where I am in the Kindle book so easily and the plastic and glass just feel alien. I like to look at the book and see what my progress is. Maybe page ahead and see where the chapter ends so I know when to go to bed. The paper just feels better too.

Also footnotes are a problem. I found this out when reading the first volume of Mark Twain's autobiography on my Kindle. This book is about 2/3 autobiography and about 1/3 footnotes which are all in the back of the book, not on the page. No way was I going to skip ahead each time and read the footnotes -- so I just gave up on them.

There are, of course, many useful things with the new technology: Being able to look up words in an online dictionary with just a click. I look up unfamiliar words now as I go along instead of just glossing over them. In my daily online newspapers I can click on the embedded links, no such thing in the print version.

Also I get the paper every day without fail, even during blizzards or if I'm on the other side of the planet. Storage is a wonder, being able to carry a thousand books under your arm, and most or all of them free if out of copyright. (I read a lot of 19th century literature). Probably many other advantages I can't think of right now.

Lastly, my almost pristine set of The World Book Encyclopedia is now less than useless, I can't give them away. They're going to have to go into the recycling bin some day, if I can bear to do it.
I've had similar experiences with digital/print news and Kindle books. I'm not sure why, but sometimes I prefer print, especially some books. If it's a long piece such as the Twain autobio you mention, I go with print, but I've also gone with much shorter print books I just had to have. It's intuitive, but beyond that a puzzle.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I have a digital subscription to the Los Angeles Times. I get a hard copy of the paper on Sunday. It costs about $11 a month.

I actually prefer to read papers in digital format.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I read the WSJ and the NYT digitally, in addition to a print WSJ at our home when there.

The NYT Today's Paper app (http://app.nytimes.com/) is so much better than the WSJ interface, even though its improved tremendously. Sadly the Today's Paper app doesn't update during the day, its a digital version of the paper as of midnight or there abouts. It also seems abbreviated in some sections on Sunday, e.g., yesterday's magazine had only one article while the nytimes.com website had many.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I have a digital subscription to the NYT and pay the small amount extra for the crosswords. $7.50 a month for the 1st year. Compared to our local paper at $35 a month for something you can almost see through because it's so thin, there is no wonder that printed papers are going the way of the wild goose.

I know they have to stay afloat, but a small ad costs $65 and a tiny obituary is in the 100's.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

The wife subscribes to the NYT. I could share her subscription or use the one at work but I just open an incognito window out of convenience.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:51 pm I've also found that I don't like reading Kindle books. I can't tell where I am in the Kindle book so easily and the plastic and glass just feel alien. I like to look at the book and see what my progress is. Maybe page ahead and see where the chapter ends so I know when to go to bed. The paper just feels better too.
I read all my ebooks, which are mostly kindle books, either (1) with Calibre's ebook viewer or (2) I use Calibre to convert them to epub and load them onto my Nook HD+ via USB from my Windows laptop. Both readers give a page count, so you can flip ahead and then return to where you started flipping. They both have scroll bars so you can also see and adjust how far you are through the book.

I thought I would never give up paper books, but now all I have in paper are coffee table books or journals that aren't in digital form. The vast advantages of ebooks for an older person are that one can adjust the font size, also the screen brightness (and on a laptop the color balance via free f.lux) can be made comfortable. Plus the less space taken up, 1000 paper books vs an ereader.

A lot of my paperbacks have really degraded. If one has actual paperbacks, then, over years, acid in the paper problems pretty much ruin the book. Presumably hardbacks do not have this problem.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I subscribe to three digital newspapers. I like them better than the paper versions because...
1. Digital papers are on my computer as soon as I get up.
2. I don't have to look all over the yard and in the ditch for a paper that may not be there..or may be soaked. My daily paper was always 2-3 hours late. Carrier turnover was high.
3. A 24 inch monitor makes the news easy to read.
4. I can snip or copy articles...no more scanning or taking pics.
5. No piles of newspaper
6. Digital papers are cheaper.
7. It's easy to read back issues.
8. Easy searches
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

tc101 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:10 am
A lot of news are stale by the time paper is at the door.
I like stale news. I subscribe to weekly paper magazines like The Economist and Time. I don't want to get sucked into the moment to moment news frenzy of stories that are designed to get me to click a link and often contain no useful content. If it is important enough to go into a news weekly, then I want to read about it in more depth.
+1
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

HomerJ wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 am I hate the printed newspapers.

So big, and annoying to read half a story then have to turn to page 5A to finish it.

I have no idea why anyone EVER thought that was a good idea. They are not easy to read.

Newsmagazines, on the other hand, I love. Easy to read in one hand, and a 4-page story is actually written on 4 consecutive pages. And then the next story is written on the next 3 consecutive pages. And so on! Genius!

I did recently buy a subscription to the Washington Post, and I have started reading it on-line. I feel it's important to support newspapers and newsmagazines financially.
I miss newspapers-- British papers don't generally have the "continued on page 6" problem-- not sure why, way they are edited I guess. A newspaper gave you a package of stuff, which before you opened it, you had no idea you would be interested in. I don't imagine printed newspapers will be around in 5-10 years.

The Washington Post plays a very special role at this time-- it is worth supporting.

New York Times I just find overwhelming-- not enough time to read it.

Financial Times is very good for a business reader, maybe WSJ better if your focus is US news. Expensive as heck, but valuable to follow financial and business news.

I like the Guardian but one has to understand its biases. But there is stuff in there in both news and comment that I don't find in any other newspaper. Garry Younge's stuff for example (a Brit of Barbadian origin, has lived in the USA for a number of years).
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I enjoy the FT also, but usually only read it when they hand it out on airplanes. Yes, it's old-school, but there is a place for the feel of a good newspaper. In the U.S. probably only the WSJ fits that, but it's not convenient to have it delivered since I'm an expat most of the time.
I second the idea of the utility of a good digital news weekly, which doesn't yet exist. Maybe a business opportunity if someone could navigate licensing issues to get the highlights of the WSJ, FT, and even the WAPO and one or two others, and sometimes NPR, but strip out all the entrenched opinions and only present the news. An opinion is not 'news,' even if it is breathlessly updated as such every thirty minutes. There are few things I must know that can't wait for a weekly edition.
That would be refreshing, and I would pay for it. Until that happens though, I can't see paying for something that I must manually screen for political content.
jacks0816

Post by jacks0816 »

I subscribed to WSJ through the website "dailysubscription." I thought it was a great deal at $139 for two years online subscription. Problem is that 3 times in six months when I log in (actually log in is automatic) I see that I am in fact logged in because my name shows up in upper right corner, I cannot access any articles. When i attempt to read any article, I have a partial couple of black lines, then the rest of the article is greyed out. I click on the article and get a "sign in" or "sign up" screen. Each of three times I email daily subscription center and they reset the account, and provide the same exact original user ID and password. Okay, fine. But they take several days to respond, during which I don't have access. Now, on the third time, I am waiting 3 days, no response. I am now so irritated, I am asking them for a full refund. No response. It is now the weekend, but on Monday I will contact my credit card company to explore my options. The is a great deal, but if it doesn't work- and I have to repetitively lose access AND receive terrible customer service- who needs that?
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

No. I do use my browser's "In Private Browsing" function to get around my local paper's paywall and read the articles for free online, though.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

jacks0816 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:45 pm I subscribed to WSJ through the website "dailysubscription." I thought it was a great deal at $139 for two years online subscription. Problem is that 3 times in six months when I log in (actually log in is automatic) I see that I am in fact logged in because my name shows up in upper right corner, I cannot access any articles. When i attempt to read any article, I have a partial couple of black lines, then the rest of the article is greyed out. I click on the article and get a "sign in" or "sign up" screen. Each of three times I email daily subscription center and they reset the account, and provide the same exact original user ID and password. Okay, fine. But they take several days to respond, during which I don't have access. Now, on the third time, I am waiting 3 days, no response. I am now so irritated, I am asking them for a full refund. No response. It is now the weekend, but on Monday I will contact my credit card company to explore my options. The is a great deal, but if it doesn't work- and I have to repetitively lose access AND receive terrible customer service- who needs that?
Be aware the the WSJ is notorious for auto-charging your credit card for inflated renewal rates and refusing refunds.Last time I subscribed to the digital edition I had been warned of this. I bought a prepaid Amex with the exact amount of the 6 month subscription loaded, I think it was $110, and used that number. About month 5, they attempted multiple times to charge about $450. They also sent numerous emails demanding a new cc number. No thanks! Their aggressive and misleading subscription policy keeps me away from buying an otherwise good paper.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

jacks0816 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:45 pm I subscribed to WSJ through the website "dailysubscription." The is a great deal, but if it doesn't work-
Agreed, jacks0816
I'm a week or so further than you down the same process. Turned it over to credit card company.
I believe we have both been scammed.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I have had a digital subscription to The Economist for a number of years and expect that I will continue to subscribe for the foreseeable future. I subscribed to the NY Times this year for the first time. Not sure if I'm going to renew. It's the best US newspaper I've found, but it's far too focused on US politics for my taste, and heavily biased on that subject; as a political independent, I prefer The Economist's (somewhat) more neutral and sober, and certainly more international, outlook.

I'll probably keep the NY Times crossword subscription, though.
amphora

Post by amphora »

I have a digital subscription to NY Times, which I read regularly. I consider NYT and The Washington Post to be the two irreplaceable newspapers because their investigative reporting sets the agenda for the country. Most other newspapers and TV stations just piggyback off their reporting.

I don't think the Times is perfect but the paper definitely has the best coverage. Regarding bias, I feel the paper gave Clinton emails too much space and underplayed Russia collision with the Trump campaign.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

amphora wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:13 am I have a digital subscription to NY Times, which I read regularly. I consider NYT and The Washington Post to be the two irreplaceable newspapers because their investigative reporting sets the agenda for the country. Most other newspapers and TV stations just piggyback off their reporting.
I also have digital subscriptions to both these newspapers, for the same reasons. Particularly for political coverage I always go to WaPo first; politics is the biggest industry in town although for some reason the reader comments are usually nuts. NYT for lots of interesting articles about everything. Reader comments there are often erudite and very interesting. I

I pay negligible monthly costs by using educator's discounts.

I still read my local newspaper as a hard copy in the morning while having breakfast and coffee, habit I suppose. I read the electronic version if the paper isn't delivered.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post and reply related to climate change. As a reminder, see: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i pay for a digital subscription.

i prefer to read the real newspaper -- but i travel frequently -- and i don't want newspapers sitting in the driveway telling the crooks i'm not home. they're not very good at vacation stops and starts -- and many of my trips are spur of the moment.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We read no digital newspapers, but read digital national news. We get a local paper delivered, and I enjoy reading that while settling down in my recliner and drinking a coffee in the morning. My wife likes to read several local and national paper newspapers, and drives to buy them.
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

2 of them. if no one subscribes they may either disappear or become too dependent on the ads to maintain any objectivity.

I consider it my way to promote freedom of the press.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

HomerJ wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 am I hate the printed newspapers.

So big, and annoying to read half a story then have to turn to page 5A to finish it.

I have no idea why anyone EVER thought that was a good idea. They are not easy to read.

Newsmagazines, on the other hand, I love. Easy to read in one hand, and a 4-page story is actually written on 4 consecutive pages. And then the next story is written on the next 3 consecutive pages. And so on! Genius!

I did recently buy a subscription to the Washington Post, and I have started reading it on-line. I feel it's important to support newspapers and newsmagazines financially.

I like reading the newspaper (paper). When on vacation, it gets a thorough reading over breakfast. No time when working until the weekend.

Different strokes for diff folks.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:04 pm

Be aware the the WSJ is notorious for auto-charging your credit card for inflated renewal rates and refusing refunds.Last time I subscribed to the digital edition I had been warned of this. I bought a prepaid Amex with the exact amount of the 6 month subscription loaded, I think it was $110, and used that number. About month 5, they attempted multiple times to charge about $450. They also sent numerous emails demanding a new cc number. No thanks! Their aggressive and misleading subscription policy keeps me away from buying an otherwise good paper.
i only pay for magazine subscriptions via check for this very reason.
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

We travel a lot so getting my newspaper delivered to my IPAD every morning, wherever we are, is very convenient. Looks exactly like the printed version. Quite a bit cheaper than the paper version would be too. I ask my 88 year old mother in law to save her papers for me. Excellent for starting the fire place at the lake house.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

I love to get the print newspaper every morning. Our paper is getting smaller but it is more satisfying to read with my coffee. I like to do the daily crossword puzzle also.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I just can't bring myself to do it. There is something so simple and relaxing about crashing on the chair or sofa and holding The Wall Street Journal, fire going, and coffee. Not having a device in my hands is at times a much needed relief.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
meebers

Post by meebers »

We subscribe to our local paper. (Orlando) They offered us Sunday & Thursday for $12 year. (Wife wants the coupons) Digital edition is included for all days. In the digital edition, there is a county edition and several surrounding counties as well.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

I have digital subscriptions to

WSJ (Like this one the best for unbiased news.)
NYT
Economist
Washington Post (only because it is free for me with .edu address. Free ride for .edu is ending shortly and so will my subscription. Really the WP is more opinion than news these days.)

I love being able to read news on my smartphone. I can happily pass the time no matter where I am.

I have no print subscriptions.
atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 »

I digitally subscribe to the New York Times, Washington Post and Boston Globe. I prefer reading on my iPad the ePaper which comes out once daily. I always read multiple sources to get different takes and I enjoy supporting newspapers. My more real time news updates come from NPR to which I also contribute. Too much of the news online nowadays is hard to trust and I at least feel like these sources take the time to verify before they run a story.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

We read all our news online, which is basically free, but we want to support good journalism so my wife subscribes to the NYT and I subscribe to The Guardian. The online news model is broken, IMO, but journalism is incredibly important today. If we're not careful, our democracy could be in jeopardy, that's how serious it is.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

baconavocado wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:35 pm We read all our news online, which is basically free, but we want to support good journalism so my wife subscribes to the NYT and I subscribe to The Guardian. The online news model is broken, IMO, but journalism is incredibly important today. If we're not careful, our democracy could be in jeopardy, that's how serious it is.
Someone in another thread recommended The Guardian, among other British newspapers. I had looked at it occasionally but have started looking at it every day. The US section covers the basic stories without the distraction and fluff you get in some of the other papers.

Definitely agree on the importance of journalism these days.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I have wsj online and my husband reads the newspaper version. I think he is paying $500 something per year. It’s worth it to me. Much more accurate news than some other newspapers that I rather not mention here.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Mudpuppy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:55 am
Nicolas wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:51 pmAlso footnotes are a problem. I found this out when reading the first volume of Mark Twain's autobiography on my Kindle. This book is about 2/3 autobiography and about 1/3 footnotes which are all in the back of the book, not on the page. No way was I going to skip ahead each time and read the footnotes -- so I just gave up on them.
A properly formatted e-book should have hyperlinks that you can "click" (which is really a tap for a touch-screen) to jump straight to the footnotes. Depending on the e-reader used, you may need to bookmark your current page to go back to it, although some e-readers will go back to your previous point after you finish reading the footnote.
Yeah, and there are a lot of ebooks that are not properly formatted. And I mean new, major books from name publishers. For example, in one of John C. Bogle's books, "Clash of the Cultures," every table was inserted as an image, and the images displayed sideways if you double-clicked them to enlarge them. Another shamefully common problem is maps (e.g. in Jeff Shaara's novels) and other illustrations that are somehow digitized at low resolution, and are illegible inline because they are too small and are still illegible when enlarged because they are pixellated. Footnote behavior varies randomly from book to book and you can't count on it, so it's easier to set the bookmark instead of experimenting to see what any particular book does. Oh, and on some books it is extremely hard to find the sensitive spot on the footnote superscript that actually activates the link. I am talking about eBooks for which I'm paying, basically, trade paperback prices, but it's clear that the publishers just toss their PDF into a machine and turn the crank, with no quality control.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I have finally given in and I have paid subscriptions to two newspapers: the Washington Post and the nearby big-city local paper.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

The Los Angeles Times recently redesigned its digital paper. It is outstanding. Los Angelenos should check it out.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

People still read newspapers?

Let me rephrase. People under 40 still read newspapaers?
BloogleBird

Post by BloogleBird »

The Spotify Premium + New York Times Digital bundle is worthwhile if you were going to get both anyway: https://www.forbes.com/sites/cheriehu/2 ... artnership