Books that have actually changed your life, in a way.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kayanco

Re: Books that have actually changed your life, in a way.

Post by kayanco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Dulocracy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 pm
A work by Soren Kierkegaard in combination with some writings of St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas. (21)
Can you please explain how?

Thank you.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:22 pm

kayanco wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:28 pm
Dulocracy wrote:
A work by Soren Kierkegaard in combination with some writings of St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas. (21)

Thank you.
Sorry for the late reply. We are not allowed to discuss religion on this board. I will say that Soren Kierkegaard discusses doubt and the idea that one must first go through doubt to experience faith. St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine I appreciate more for self-governance, and being aware of one's actions. I think (hope) that is vague enough for this board!
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

jdb

Post by jdb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Does anyone realize that this is a thread from 2012? Like time travel. But since has been reactivated will chime in. The environmental trilogy, read many years ago. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold, and Walden by Thoreau. I have been an ardent conservationist since then. Good luck.

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 pm

snyder66 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:32 am
I know there have been numerous books threads and I'm trying not to repeat them. But, I'm looking for boos that have had a real affect of your life. Something that actually caused you to change the way you live or do things in your life or investments. For me, It has been Michael Pollan's: In Defense of Food.
Jocko willink’s “discipline equals freedom”
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Dulocracy wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:22 pm
kayanco wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:28 pm
Dulocracy wrote:

Thank you.
We are not allowed to discuss religion on this board.
That's sad to know.

But thanks for trying to answer :)

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 pm

“The Making of a Blockbuster” about Wayne Huizenga. Blockbuster, Waste Management, AutoNation Miami Dolphins and much more. Incredible business lessons and story.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Bertrand Russell’s Autobiography and Conquest of Happiness.
Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series.
Richard Dana’s Two Years Before the Mast.
Oh, when I got my first car (a horrible crate), Deanna Sclar‘s Auto Repair for Dummies. I wonder if that was the very first “for dummies” book.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 am

How Not To Die
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

FamousWalrus

Post by FamousWalrus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 am

“Notes on the Sacred Art of Log Sitting” from Dead Man’s Float by Jim Harrison.
I have just described to you the Lochness Monster, and the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question, why are you here?

GCD

Post by GCD » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:20 am

A Concise Introduction to Logic by Hurley. Although any random intro to logic book would probably have had the same effect. Over the ensuing 30 years I often recognized that I was slipping into a logical fallacy and forced myself to reconsider my position.

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:36 am

The Bible, and the Talmud
Atlas Shrugged :happy
The Federalist Papers (compilation)
A Random Walk Down Wall Street (it got me started on my investment path)
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

MJW

Post by MJW » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:25 pm

AtlasShrugged? wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:36 am
The Federalist Papers (compilation)
I'm currently reading Chernow's biography on Hamilton. Hamilton's collaboration with Madison on that undertaking is discussed fairly in depth. It is impressive when one considers how long many of the principles they imagined have endured over centuries. It is a shame that Hamilton's relationship with Madison took an ugly turn soon thereafter.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:09 pm

chaz wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:19 am
A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel.
Certainly that was the most important influence on my financial life. Second was perhaps Alternative Investments by Larry Swedroe. I wish I had come across them earlier. Still it was in time to give me a nice retirement.

The Bible had a big influence as well - the context in which it was delivered to me in made me realize that organized religion was not for me.

I read Frank Herbert's Dune when it was first serialized in Analog over 50 years ago. That firmly set me up as a SF fan.

In High School 1984 had a big influence and caused me to become much more interested in Civics, and eventually led me to study the Enlightenment.

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Feeling Good (cognitive therapy which got me over depression as a teen/young adult)
Touching The Void (set me off on a path of rock and ice climbing for over 20 years)
The Jungle (think everyone knows what this is about)
Harrington on Hold'em (set me off on my next great love after climbing, no limit hold'em poker)

Shikoku

Post by Shikoku » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:58 pm

An old (1993) edition of Peter Feibelman's A PhD Is Not Enough!
https://www.amazon.com/PhD-Not-Enough-S ... 0465022227
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:29 pm

I have studied military history for long time, 40 years. A book and a trilogy got me started. The book was William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. The trilogy was Bruce Catton's Civil War. For a beginner today, I would still recommend them highly.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:43 pm

Walter Ciszek, With God in Russia and He Leadeth Me.
Fr. Ciszak was captured in the USSR and held in solitary prison for 5 years, then forced labor in Siberia for 15. Fascinating story and reflection on how he survived. As a life long reader, there are many, many books that have changed my life. These are fairly recent ones.

SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:37 am

I'm almost a little embarrassed to tell everyone my choice. But, it's a book and it certainly changed my life because it turned me into an avid reader of books on many subjects.

I come from a family of readers, but when I was younger I was somewhat the black sheep of the family because I just couldn't get into reading books for enjoyment. They bored me. Then one day in my mid- to late teems, I picked up a copy of Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I started it one afternoon, and after several unsuccessful attempts to put it down and go to sleep, I finished it the next morning around 3:00 am. It was the first book I'd read that I'd actually had fun reading, and it showed me that there really were books out there that I'd enjoy if I just put in a little effort to find them.

If I went back now and reread Salem's Lot I probably wouldn't like it, but that's okay. I still give it credit for opening the world of books to me. Now I'm never without a book or two to keep me busy.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:49 am

This probably will not be popular here, but Dave Ramsey Total Money Make Over.

I went from a very low net worth living pay check to pay check, no real savings and no real plan. To completely debt free and a double comma net worth.
Right in the middle of reading that book a light went off in my head my current plan of finding out what happened to my money each month was not a plan at all. When it came to investments, It led me here which allowed me to vastly expand my knowledge on inventing.

So while not a book, this message forum is a life changer as well... so I'm adding Bogleheads.org
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

dms1709

Post by dms1709 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 am

Atlas Shrugged

siamond

Post by siamond » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 pm

bertilak wrote:
Wed May 08, 2013 9:16 am
This may sound facetious but perhaps the "books" with the biggest influence on me were comic books!

When I was very young I was having great difficulty with reading and therefore hated it -- until I found comic books. These were primarily the Walt Disney Duck comics: Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Comics and Stories, with a smattering of Tarzan and The Phantom. They were all very creative, and fun, adventure stories. Those Duck comics are still in print, 60 years later.

Without Carl Barks (author and artist of all the Duck comics) I almost certainly would not have turned out to be the person I am today. I have more books than I have places to put them.
I think you're making a very fundamental point here. My wife is the librarian at a local middle school. She added comic books and mangas to the library, for the very exact same reason you explained. Oh, and the mangas also helped to promote cultural diversity in a way that is often overlooked (i.e. towards Asian culture). When she made such move, the English teachers were all in arms ("this isn't literature, this doesn't belong to a library, blah"). Funny, 10 years later, and many many children having learned to enjoy reading, starting from comics & mangas, then moving to 'more wordy' books, said teachers can't stop raving about my wife.

PS. in my mid 20s, I made good progress in English while reading James Bond's novels. Same idea. Enjoy reading, and you're on a learning path that never stops.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:23 pm

siamond wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 pm
bertilak wrote:
This may sound facetious but perhaps the "books" with the biggest influence on me were comic books!

When I was very young I was having great difficulty with reading and therefore hated it -- until I found comic books. These were primarily the Walt Disney Duck comics: Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Comics and Stories, with a smattering of Tarzan and The Phantom. They were all very creative, and fun, adventure stories. Those Duck comics are still in print, 60 years later.

Without Carl Barks (author and artist of all the Duck comics) I almost certainly would not have turned out to be the person I am today. I have more books than I have places to put them.
I think you're making a very fundamental point here. My wife is the librarian at a local middle school. She added comic books and mangas to the library, for the very exact same reason you explained. Oh, and the mangas also helped to promote cultural diversity in a way that is often overlooked (i.e. towards Asian culture). When she made such move, the English teachers were all in arms ("this isn't literature, this doesn't belong to a library, blah"). Funny, 10 years later, and many many children having learned to enjoy reading, starting from comics & mangas, then moving to 'more wordy' books, said teachers can't stop raving about my wife.

PS. in my mid 20s, I made good progress in English while reading James Bond's novels. Same idea. Enjoy reading, and you're on a learning path that never stops.
Kudos to your wife!

I love most mainstream comics and wonder how librarians determine their locations in our county library system. For example, depending on the library, "Calvin and Hobbes" may be in the children's, teen, or adult section, while "Peanuts" and "Pogo" are always in the adult section. Yet all are considered classic mainstream comic strips about young children and animals and with similar themes, storylines, and humor. But at least they are all there. :)
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Fallible wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:23 pm
siamond wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 pm
bertilak wrote:

Kudos to your wife!

I love most mainstream comics and wonder how librarians determine their locations in our county library system. For example, depending on the library, "Calvin and Hobbes" may be in the children's, teen, or adult section, while "Peanuts" and "Pogo" are always in the adult section. Yet all are considered classic mainstream comic strips about young children and animals and with similar themes, storylines, and humor. But at least they are all there. :)
Maus won a Pulitzer, and according to a friend who teaches Maus in a literature class it deserved it. There are also those who think Bob Dylan was not a poet, that nothing short of classical music should be taken seriously as music, and that video games are a waste of time. And I imagine there were people saying the same sort of things about cinema 100 years ago. In time, "comic books" and video games will be given their rightful place in the pantheon of culture, as has happened with jazz (which is now taught routinely in esteemed conservatories) , and is starting to happen with rock music and television.