2018 Subaru Outback

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goldensam

2018 Subaru Outback

Post by goldensam »

I am seriously considering purchasing a 2018 Outback to replace my 2010 Accord. It certainly fits my lifestyle of hauling big dogs around better than a sedan! I wanted to get some feedback on here from anyone who has a newer model. Thanks!
Levett

Re: 2018 Subaru Outback

Post by Levett »

I have a 2016 Outback (fourth Subie I have owned). Fits my lifestyle, as well. I don't leave home without it! :happy

Lev
galectin

Post by galectin »

My son has a 2016 Outback (same size as the 2018) and His Labrador Retriever fits nicely into the back. With the rear seats down I think that three or even four "big dogs" would fit nicely.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I have a 2015 Forester, not an Outback and love it (Subaru's are a beast in bad weather). I'd suggest you check out the Subaru VIP program if you want to buy a brand new Subaru.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

One of my good friends has a 2017 Outback with Eyesight and the 2.5 NA engine, automatic. He lives in another city, and I've driven it a bunch of times when I visit him. I bought a 2017 VW Alltrack with Driver Assist and the 1.8T engine, 6 speed manual, which I think it the Outback's main competitor. Here's a few things I've noted:

- The Outback has a little more space, and has some nice features like the power liftgate. It has a little more ground clearance, so if you need it for deep snow or offroad, it would likely be better than the VW. If those matter to you, the outback is probably the winner.

- The Outback's infotainment system is (like all Subaru electronics, IMO) significantly behind it's competitors. My friend's Outback has nav, and it's clunky and uninformative. Sound quality is meh. My Alltrack does not have nav, but it supports Google Maps/Waze via Android Auto and Apple Maps via Carplay, and does both really well. The carplay/andriod auto integration is very well done, to me, and I found it much more useful and seamless than I ever expected.

- The VW's engine is a clear, clear winner in my book. I can still get 30 MPG, but it feels so much more powerful than the Outback's. Some of this may be due to the 6MT vs AT, but the VW feels like a totally different car.

- Interior quality heavily favors the VW, IMO. Outback has much more tinny/plasticy materials, Alltrack feels better built and more premium.

- The adaptive cruise control in both cars works similarly on the highway. The adaptive cruise is better in the city in the Subaru, which is seamless in stop and go traffic. I haven't used the automatic parking feature on the Subaru, but it works decently well on the VW. Thankfully, I haven't had a chance to test the accident avoidance/emergency braking features of either car.

VW dealers near me are currently trying to clear out 2017 Alltracks, and they're running $5-7k below sticker for automatics. I'd recommend at least driving one prior to settling on an Outback, though they're both excellent cars.
steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy »

We just bought a 2018 Outback Limited 2.5 and it's been great for the last three weeks and 400 miles we've had it. We cross-shopped against Forester, CR-V, RAV4, and used RX 350's. The Outback came out on top for us, but it was a virtual toss up with the 2017 CR-V.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns and I'll be happy to share anything I know.
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

delete
Last edited by hushpuppy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two dogs are better than one. One dog needs to have at least one companion that can consistently measure up to standards. Humans need not apply.
sambb

Post by sambb »

eyesight is amazing in the subaru. such a great option.
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

We have a 2017 Outback with about 1,000 miles on it. We love it, and we've already used the Eyesight warning once. A car stopped in the lane in front of us, and the vehicle started beeping with plenty of time to slow down. I saw the threat ahead, and the beeping started right when I was about to warn my wife while she was driving. If you get an Outback, spend the extra thousand to get Eyesight.
FCM

Post by FCM »

My wife and I bought a new 2014 Outback several years ago and have about 10,000 miles on it. My wife is the primary driver and loves it. However, whenever I ride in the car, I feel all the bumps in the road due to its rigid suspension. Other than that, It's been a fine car with plenty of cargo space. The EyeSight technology was one of the prime reasons why we chose the Subaru.
vshun

Post by vshun »

We have 2010 Outback, while its an older model, interior size is about the same. Hauls our Newfoundland and Saint Bernard in the back comfortably. Without dogs I can fit kayak(playboat) or mountain bike with ease. Would love 2018 Outback for Android Auto as well as outstanding EyeSight safety features that CR lauded recently, but right now we are waiting for Tesla 3.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

2018 has the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto feature, but slower than VW. I like the Limited interior, over the Audi Q5.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Subaru had some problems with engines burning significant amounts of oil among other issues. There was a class action lawsuit. I'm not sure if they've fixed it or not. Their AWD is very good and people in the north country swear by them. In my anecdotal experience on car forums and from mechanics they are not as reliable as Toyota/Honda. If you're the type to drive your car to 200k miles or more, you might have more issues in a Subaru. That said, the Outback wagon is a nice design and will ride more like a car than the CR-V.
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 pm Subaru had some problems with engines burning significant amounts of oil among other issues. There was a class action lawsuit. I'm not sure if they've fixed it or not. Their AWD is very good and people in the north country swear by them. In my anecdotal experience on car forums and from mechanics they are not as reliable as Toyota/Honda. If you're the type to drive your car to 200k miles or more, you might have more issues in a Subaru. That said, the Outback wagon is a nice design and will ride more like a car than the CR-V.
I am interested in answers to the OP's request for feedback. Your comments imply that you have never owned an Outback, and appear to be based on conjecture and reading anecdotes. So do you recommend the Outback or not?
hiddensee

Post by hiddensee »

It's never really a good financial option to buy a brand new car, but there's nothing wrong with the make and model if you need the volume and power.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

tcassette wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:52 pm
Alexa9 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 pm Subaru had some problems with engines burning significant amounts of oil among other issues. There was a class action lawsuit. I'm not sure if they've fixed it or not. Their AWD is very good and people in the north country swear by them. In my anecdotal experience on car forums and from mechanics they are not as reliable as Toyota/Honda. If you're the type to drive your car to 200k miles or more, you might have more issues in a Subaru. That said, the Outback wagon is a nice design and will ride more like a car than the CR-V.
I am interested in answers to the OP's request for feedback. Your comments imply that you have never owned an Outback, and appear to be based on conjecture and reading anecdotes. So do you recommend the Outback or not?
I prefer Honda/Toyota with snow tires to an Outback. Subaru has questionable reliability and quality from what I've read. Feel free to read Subaru forums yourself. Admittedly people with bad experiences are more vocal.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:50 pm
tcassette wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:52 pm
I prefer Honda/Toyota with snow tires to an Outback. Subaru has questionable reliability and quality from what I've read. Feel free to read Subaru forums yourself. Admittedly people with bad experiences are more vocal.

Subaru's reliability has improved a lot over the last 10 years or so. These days it feels like it is toyota/lexus and then everyone else. Honda has had several issues over the past couple of years. Depending on what ratings you look at you get slightly different results. A lot of them have things like problems pairing a bluetooth phone the same as engine blew up.:)

I have driven and been driven in a several outbacks from 2010-2017. They are somewhat lacking in NVH and a little slow but both are very dependent on your expectations and the outback isn't radically different than its competitors. We are talking like 1s from 0-60 and a couple of DBs of noise. And every model refresh is quieter than the one before if you believe the press releases:)

There are a ton of lifted wagons/crossovers/suvs out there. I would drive some of the other competiors (say highlander, pilot, and Sante Fe come to mind) and see which one you like the best. They all have slightly different tradeoffs and you need to decide what mattes to you.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We've had a 2017 for 14 months. 10,000 miles on it so far and no complaints except the headlamps' "brights" are automated to cut off when they sense a light source...even reflecting off a sign.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Adaptive cruise control in 6MT car? How does it work in the city traffic?? Why would you expect it to work in the city traffic? Frankly, when I am driving manual shift car, automatic driving is NOT what I want!
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

TxAg - Can the automatic headlight function be turned off to stop the problem to which you refer? I know it can be turned off on some vehicles.
Tom D.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

tomd37 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 am TxAg - Can the automatic headlight function be turned off to stop the problem to which you refer? I know it can be turned off on some vehicles.
I suppose, but I haven't looked into it lately. It's my wife's car and she rarely drives at night so it is only a minor annoyance for now.
destinationnc

Post by destinationnc »

I have an older model - '13 - but for your needs the outback is a good fit. The back gate is lower than an SUV but still plenty roomy. They hold their value well, so buy new rather than used.
eg1

Post by eg1 »

I own a 2017 with eyesight that now has 15K miles on it. Overall solid car. Pay extra for eyesight - you wont regret it. I had always owned Hondas and realize that Subaru's might not be as reliable in the long term but so far I haven't had any issues. Build quality seems good, rides well, it is quiet, has plenty of cargo space, rear seat room is above average and drives amazing in the snow. I would buy one again without hesitation.
MangoManiac

Post by MangoManiac »

eg1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:52 am I own a 2017 with eyesight that now has 15K miles on it. Overall solid car. Pay extra for eyesight - you wont regret it. I had always owned Hondas and realize that Subaru's might not be as reliable in the long term but so far I haven't had any issues. Build quality seems good, rides well, it is quiet, has plenty of cargo space, rear seat room is above average and drives amazing in the snow. I would buy one again without hesitation.
Concur with this. I have a 2018 Premium with Eyesight with about 400 miles. Hated the dealer experience, but they sell themselves in the northeast. Overall very happy with the purchase. But I don't think I trust the quality as much, so I'll be opting for the Subaru Gold Plus plan. You can shop around different dealers for the lowest price. My dealer wanted $2100 for 7yr/70k/$0 deductible. Online dealer offered $1500 for 10yr/100k/$0 deductible. That extra coverage is worth the peace of mind for 10 yrs.

Two minor annoyance that has come up on the Outback forums is that 1) the radio will turn on once the car is turned off (with doors still closed) even if it was on mute or you were listening the USB or phone, and 2) pressing the power button on the radio only mutes it, doesn't turn it off unless you hold it for several seconds.

I also don't regret getting the 4 cylinder. Coming from an old V8 pickup, everything I read said to go with the 6. Everyone told me I would hate the 4. My commute is tame and I have no problem getting up to 80mph. Also loving the Android Auto.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

Costco has a deal with Subaru. Costco members get a price just a few bucks above dealer cost. I bought a 2017 Crosstrek last month and the Costco price was right in line with what the online pricing services predicted.

By the way, I saved a few bucks by passing on Eyesight, nav, sunroof, and leather. To Eyesight or not was the only tough call. Personal preference, of course.
MangoManiac

Post by MangoManiac »

c.coyle wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 pm By the way, I saved a few bucks by passing on Eyesight, nav, sunroof, and leather. To Eyesight or not was the only tough call. Personal preference, of course.
So true. It's a "nice to have" especially with kids or sudden stop traffic. I figured if it prevents me to rear-ending someone at least once then it's paid for itself many times over. Only annoyance is not being able to put a dashcam in the center of windshield. Most likely it will end up on the top of the windshield by the passenger.
Jamieson22

Post by Jamieson22 »

I have a 2013 Limited 2.5 with 75k on clock. Currently undergoing its second oil consumption test. Oil light has come on during each oil change interval and the last one came on twice (after refilling). It burned 2 quarts in 6500 miles.

Other than that the car has been fine.
destinationnc

Post by destinationnc »

Jamieson22 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:57 pm I have a 2013 Limited 2.5 with 75k on clock. Currently undergoing its second oil consumption test. Oil light has come on during each oil change interval and the last one came on twice (after refilling). It burned 2 quarts in 6500 miles.

Other than that the car has been fine.
I've got the same model, year, and problem. Not as bad as you, but usually the oil light will come on around 6,000 miles and I just add a bit and do a full change at 7,500.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

tomd37 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 am TxAg - Can the automatic headlight function be turned off to stop the problem to which you refer? I know it can be turned off on some vehicles.

It can be but then you have to decide are you willing to trade off the safety factor of being able to see better most of the time for the issue of the beams going off at the wrong time. Obviously this is assuming you are not one of the people who is turning their highbeams on and off constantly when driving.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

I'm a recovering Volvo owner. (I've owned 3, 2 of which were wagons. But the new generation of wagons is too expensive for me.) I plan to get my 2005 XC-70 through one more New England winter and will likely replace it with a new Outback in the spring. But I am also waiting for the new 2018 Buick Regal TourX wagon to make its appearance so I can do a comparison with the Outback. It's made in Germany and has sold for a few years as an Opel Insignia (in Germany), a Vauxhall Insignia (in the UK) and a Holden -not sure of the model (in Australia). Will be sold in the US as an AWD wagon w/a 4 cyl 2.0 liter turbo. I saw a few Opel Insignias during a recent Northern European trip and they are more stylish (IMO) than the Outback and appear to have similar dimensions. Prices will be similar. I'm looking forward to a detailed comparison once the Buicks hit the showrooms.

PS: my wife's car is a 2011 Buick Regal sedan and we've been pleased with it.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer »

Love the Outback's combination of high ground clearance and AWD. We do a bit of off-road driving, nothing serious, and the 2016 Outback does that very well. You can put kayaks on it too and haul a LOT of stuff in the back. I utterly hate the infotainment user interface, but it was not a show-stopper. Handling is ok, but it is very far from a sports car. Funny, the pickup in the 4 cylinder is not so great, but it is difficult not to jerk the vehicle when starting out the way the accelerator is programmed. I wish Subie come out with a decent turbo four banger in the Outback for higher mpg and performance when needed.

For "an in town" CUV, consider the Mazda CX5, it handles better and gizmos are slicker, just not as utilitarian a machine. Low ground clearance, curvier roofline making it difficult to carry stuff up there without expense aftermarket gear, less room for cargo. More compact and easier to park.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

I bought my 2017 primarily because of the Eyesight. I have about 4k miles and it has already proven its worth in a couple of cases. No, I would not have run into the car ahead, but it is comforting to know that it warns me.

I have a case where I would have backed into an obstruction and the backup auto stop prevented that. Probably would have been no damage in any case, but it was nice to have.

I ahem seen U-tube videos where the eyesight will stop the car at much higher speeds than the 25 mph advertised. Almost 50.

The navigation system sucks bilge water compared to a Garmin or even Apple maps, but my phone works in the car, so I just don't use the Suby navigation. Wanted to wait for a 2018 and CarPlay, but needed the vehicle a couple months too early for the 2018s.

All in all, a good car. I have 2 labs and a golden. They all fit.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Topic Author
goldensam

Post by goldensam »

Thanks for the input! I will definitely get Eyesight, as the safety features are one of the reasons I want a Subaru. Unfortunately I will be commuting in it a few days a week and I'm sure I'll miss my more fuel efficient sedan, but after a few years of obsessing about getting an Outback, I think I'm ready to just get on with it!

Question about pricing:
I am negotiating on the Limited 3.6R but I admit that I am terrible at it and do not enjoy it. A dealership in TX is offering $36,337 plus TT&L, which includes Eyesight and popular package #2, plus door edge guards, body side molding, wheel edge guards, and darker tint all the way around. TT&L brings it to $38,579. Can I do better than this?
steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy »

goldensam wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 am Thanks for the input! I will definitely get Eyesight, as the safety features are one of the reasons I want a Subaru. Unfortunately I will be commuting in it a few days a week and I'm sure I'll miss my more fuel efficient sedan, but after a few years of obsessing about getting an Outback, I think I'm ready to just get on with it!

Question about pricing:
I am negotiating on the Limited 3.6R but I admit that I am terrible at it and do not enjoy it. A dealership in TX is offering $36,337 plus TT&L, which includes Eyesight and popular package #2, plus door edge guards, body side molding, wheel edge guards, and darker tint all the way around. TT&L brings it to $38,579. Can I do better than this?
Get an online quote from Grand Subaru in Chicago. Whatever price they give you right off the bat is on the low end of the range other dealers will give you after a tiring negotiation.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

goldensam wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 am Thanks for the input! I will definitely get Eyesight, as the safety features are one of the reasons I want a Subaru. Unfortunately I will be commuting in it a few days a week and I'm sure I'll miss my more fuel efficient sedan, but after a few years of obsessing about getting an Outback, I think I'm ready to just get on with it!

Question about pricing:
I should pick up my 2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Eyesight next Tuesday. Through Costco, the OTD will be $36,379 ($33k with $500 Ambassador coupon for sales only). Our taxes here is about 6.875%. However, I opted for a 36-month lease. Maybe it was psychological, the 2018 feels slightly faster than the 17?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

2 price things. Get one from Heuberger in Colorado. They are the biggest Subaru dealer in the US and will give you a price.

If you want a Subaru extended warranty, contact Mastria Subaru in Ma and they'll send you a sheet with all the options. If I remember right, Dave does those.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:34 pm 2 price things. Get one from Heuberger in Colorado. They are the biggest Subaru dealer in the US and will give you a price.

If you want a Subaru extended warranty, contact Mastria Subaru in Ma and they'll send you a sheet with all the options. If I remember right, Dave does those.
Do you have any feel for Mastria's prices (new car sales)?

Thanks.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Question about pricing:

Have you tried Randal Noe in Terrell? They gave me the best price right off the bat. I had a friend at Sewell that used that to get it a hair cheaper with better customer service.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Friar1610,
Contacted Buick online this evening and the 2018 Buick Regal TourX should starting hitting the showrooms in 4th quarter 2017. I saw your reference to it in another post, looked at it then, and then forgot about it. Looked at it again based on this post and really like the looks of it. I still like wagons having had a 2001.5 and 2008 VW Passat wagon. They went out in 2010 in the U.S. but still have great looking models in Europe. Regards from a 3100 designator. :beer
Tom D.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Have a 2105 2.5. It does not burn oil. Just completed an 800 mi trip the last few days. 50-80mph @34mpg. I have never had a problem with lack of power, but not mountain driving. I guess I am one those idiots that gets in everyone else's way being too slow. Eyesight is really good. I don't use entertainment systems in cars so YMMV.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

friar1610 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:37 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:34 pm 2 price things. Get one from Heuberger in Colorado. They are the biggest Subaru dealer in the US and will give you a price.

Do you have any feel for Mastria's prices (new car sales)?

Thanks.
I don't know. I was shopping for a Subaru Gold warranty for our Crosstrek which was having it's $8,000 CVT transmission replaced under warranty at 53,000 miles. I did get the sheet with pricing for warranties and then found that I would have had to buy the warranty before the bumper to bumper expired (36k miles). Lucky for me, Subaru extended the CVT warranty to 100k miles or we would have been shopping for a new car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
goldensam

Post by goldensam »

I'm picking up my new Outback tomorrow! I'm excited, but also freaking out a little. :happy
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Have a 2015 Outback, and love it. I find the rear cross traffic alert to be a real useful addition. Wonderful when backing out of a parking space when I can't see past the huge cars/suvs that are parked next to me. More so than the eyesight braking feature based only on how often it comes into play.
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

I would say subarus reliability has improved since the day of head gaskets leaking and clutches going out sooner than they should. One thing I do know at least in the 2016 models the windshields easily crack. Although I think most newer model cars the windshield cracks a lot easier than the older cars.
DomDangelina

Post by DomDangelina »

goldensam wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm I am seriously considering purchasing a 2018 Outback to replace my 2010 Accord. It certainly fits my lifestyle of hauling big dogs around better than a sedan! I wanted to get some feedback on here from anyone who has a newer model. Thanks!
Jeep Grand Cherokees are infinitely superior to any Subaru. Go ahead and get a Jeep.
"Often the remedy causes the disease. It is by no means the least of life's rules: to let things alone." | Baltasar Gracián, S.J., The Art of Worldly Wisdom, Maxim 121
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

DomDangelina wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 pm
goldensam wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm I am seriously considering purchasing a 2018 Outback to replace my 2010 Accord. It certainly fits my lifestyle of hauling big dogs around better than a sedan! I wanted to get some feedback on here from anyone who has a newer model. Thanks!
Jeep Grand Cherokees are infinitely superior to any Subaru. Go ahead and get a Jeep.
Both Jeeps I have owned haven't been reliable. My brother is currently working on his Jeep. The Dodges my employer gives us to drive are absolutely terrible when it comes to reliability.

I won't own another Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep product.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Just bought a 2018 Outback last Tuesday. I opted for the 3.6R Limited with EyeSight and cold weather package 1. Very happy with the purchase. Out the door price was $38,180. Purchased in TN - sales tax is off the chain.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I own a 2015 Subaru Forrester. Great vehicle! I find it funny how people bring up old news about Subaru's burning oil, not as reliable compared to Hondas/Toyotas. Subaru has made tremendous improvements in their products over the recent years. I believe they are on par with other brands now. I like how Subaru actively supports conservation efforts and I'm impressed with their Zero Landfill manufacturing expertise in their USA factory. Their four-wheel drive system is superb as it delivers AWD to all 4 wheels. Compare that to Audi which now calls their system "Quattro with Ultra Technology." Audi's new Quattro sysytem is now basically a FWD sysyem that directs power to rear wheels when slippage is detected on the front. The system probably operates seamlessly but it adds another level of complexity that wasn't there with the old Quattro system. They probably changed due to a boost in MPG with the new system. Put a Subaru and an Audi in a foot of new snow and the Subaru AWD will do a better job getting you through. Another thing that bugs me about Audi is that they have fake exhaust tailpipes integrated into the rear bumper. If you look underneath the rear bumper, you'll see the real tailpipe ending a couple inches before the fake exhaust tips. I don't know why Audi did this on an otherwise attractive vehicle.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

DomDangelina wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 pm
Consumer Reports rates Jeep as the second worst brand for reliability, just above Fiat. I would not consider any Jeep.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Gort wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:06 pm I own a 2015 Subaru Forrester. Great vehicle! I find it funny how people bring up old news about Subaru's burning oil, not as reliable compared to Hondas/Toyotas. Subaru has made tremendous improvements in their products over the recent years. I believe they are on par with other brands now. I like how Subaru actively supports conservation efforts and I'm impressed with their Zero Landfill manufacturing expertise in their USA factory. Their four-wheel drive system is superb as it delivers AWD to all 4 wheels. Compare that to Audi which now calls their system "Quattro with Ultra Technology." Audi's new Quattro sysytem is now basically a FWD sysyem that directs power to rear wheels when slippage is detected on the front. The system probably operates seamlessly but it adds another level of complexity that wasn't there with the old Quattro system. They probably changed due to a boost in MPG with the new system. Put a Subaru and an Audi in a foot of new snow and the Subaru AWD will do a better job getting you through. Another thing that bugs me about Audi is that they have fake exhaust tailpipes integrated into the rear bumper. If you look underneath the rear bumper, you'll see the real tailpipe ending a couple inches before the fake exhaust tips. I don't know why Audi did this on an otherwise attractive vehicle.
Quattro for A4 and above is a torson type mech AWD. All time on mechancally. No lagging. A3 AWD and below is electric one. Front /Rear torque 40/60 (fixed, more sporty). There are FWD version of A4, A5 I believe. But it is different story. 8 speed gear box (better than chained Subaru). Turbo (though burn oil, by but less than Subaru). better handling (sharp dynamic as German knife)
While Subaru is a hydrolic central differtial, (50/50) torque ratio, chained CVT (reliability problem), burn oil (horizontal positon location ,unevenly wear). But price is 10k to 20k lower than Audi which is the selling point. checp interior (since Toyota owned, cost cutting)