Convertible in Florida or not...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NewBog21

Convertible in Florida or not...

Post by NewBog21 »

Need your good advice....I am a 67-year-old woman who is probably buying her last car (we keep them for 10 years) and letting go of a 9 yo perfect Honda with 68K miles. We now live in NW FL and I think I want a convertible and will drive 6K miles per year at most. Hubby bought a Lexus 2 years ago and loves it and that's what he says I should do but I am having ??? a senior moment/late-life urge ??? and think I want something really fun. I do notice that few of the convertible owners in our area rarely put their tops down. I could spend between 40-60K and not miss it.

Am I crazy? Should I just buy a Lexus? Will I hate a Mercedes soft top or should I choose the BMW 430i hardtop convertible (sitting on the fence) or wait until someone else makes a good hardtop convertible (Infiniti?)

Hubby says I should rent any convertible (at the airport) for a week.....I have only driven the Mercedes C300 for 15 minutes with the top down. We really are most concerned with new drivers safety features but I also kind of want a little fun before I let the cars drive me while I read a book....

TIA
smitcat

Re: Convertible in Florida or not...

Post by smitcat »

IMO - rent the convertible in perfect weather and buy the hardtop you really want for a full time car.
You end up with the convertible top up all the time except for maybe 10-12 days a year in my experience.

Whatever you do - have fun
midareff

Post by midareff »

When I turned 40 I bought a Porsche convertible and had a blast with it. Top was down almost all the time. I'll be 70 in December and would not do that again for a variety of reasons starting with the fastest way into a rag top convertible is with a knife. Having said that both Mercedes and BMW (and Lexus) have metal convertibles that could be very appealing.

I'm getting ready to trade a 2013 Mercedes C350 with 22K miles on a bucket list car just because I can, and thanks to Jack Bogle and an amazing bull it makes little financial difference now. None of these things will be much fun at 80 .. go for it and enjoy it.
aepstein824

Post by aepstein824 »

I used to live in Miami, but I'm now the proud owner of a Miata near the San Francisco Bay. On one hand, my personal joy from the convertible never gets old. On the other hand, the dry temperate weather of SF Bay is far more accommodating than the Florida I knew. It sounds obvious, but I think you can judge how much you'll like the convertible based on how much time you like spending outside walking or eating, etc.. Here I love it, but in Miami I ran toward AC at every occasion. Also, make sure you don't mind the top cover/uncover operation because it comes up frequently.
camden

Post by camden »

Have owned convertibles in the South. Great fun, but be aware of the fact that in the climate you are talking about it will be too hot, too cold, or too high a chance of rain to really enjoy having the top down a very high % of the days of the year.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

midareff wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:03 pm When I turned 40 I bought a Porsche convertible and had a blast with it. Top was down almost all the time. I'll be 70 in December and would not do that again
Interesting. My Father-in-Law bought his second convertible the same year he turned 70. His first convertible was also his first car. He's now had it for 7 years, and the top is down probably 30% of the time. We live in the Chicago suburbs, so over a third of the year is straight out because it's below freezing.

OP if it's something you're interested in, go for it. Mercedes SL is the prototypical retiree convertible, but it's obviously quite pricey. Assuming you want to spend about half of the SL's 6-figure pricetag, the Audi A5/S5 or BMW 430i/440i would be my top choices.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Absolutely rent a convertible. You can easily and cheaply do that in Florida. Rent for an entire month. Keep a log of any time driving and whether the top was up or down.

I've had literally dozens of convertibles. I would never rent one in Florida, Texas or Arizona. The sun can be oppressively hot and I'd run with the top up. My last one, a 2007 Lotus Elise seldom had the top off (removable top).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
retire57

Post by retire57 »

Also live in the Southeast (AL, near the FL state line) and have owned 2 convertibles. And won't again - but not because they aren't fun. They are. But for only about 4 weeks total out of the year when it's not too cold, too rainy, too hot, or too windy.

The roofs need to be replaced pretty often - probably replaced ours about every 5 years. That gets old.

You might want to drive one for a couple of years for the (occasional) top-down experience , but I bet it won't be your 'forever' car.

Good luck with your decision!
Cash

Post by Cash »

We live in central Florida, and my wife drives a BMW Z4 hardtop convertible. The hardtop was the only way I would get on board with the purchase due to wind noise, durability, crash safety, etc. It's my wife's daily driver, and I consider it to be a fun little weekend car, but much more fun during the cooler months. We will drop the top on a nice summer morning or evening, but if you get stuck at a traffic light with the top down toward midday during the summer, you feel the burn! My wife drops the top more often than I would. Regardless, you only live once...get the convertible and enjoy it whenever it suits you!
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

If you buy a convertible, do not get one with a black leather/leatherette interior, trust me. Go with a light color interior.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Yes, I love my convertibles. I've owned four Miatas over the years (one I bought for my mom), and now have a (cheap) BMW in San Diego and a (not so cheap, but bought by my company) Z4 here in Japan. Life is too short to not drive a car you truly love to drive. Preferably with manual transmission, if you can find one.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Grew up in Fl. Certainly would not want convertible. In the summer rain just happens. A college buddy of mine watched one of his friends projected 30 feet to his death by a semi on the side of 95 putting his rag top up in the rain. Also Just the hassle of car theft would be a beating.

Totally agree. Rent one for a month. I've rented a couple of mustang convertibles when traveling in CA. Enjoyed it. Wouldn't want to own one. Even when I had a moonroof i would rarely open it up.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i've owned convertibles in miami and atlanta. happiest i've ever been car wise was when i owned a converible as the daily driver and a truck for weekend play.

it'll cost about $500 a week to rent a mustang convertible in atlanta.

if you're on the fence about this then go for a weeks rental. don't think you'll need an entire month to decide if you are a convertible person or not.

if ya like it -- and ya got the $ -- well...that's why we saved when we were younger.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

I'd do it, but then again I often drive with the windows down and sun roof open (Orlando). That and I also used to ride a motorcycle, but gave that up because everyone is too busy texting while they drive.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

retire57 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm<snip...>
The roofs need to be replaced pretty often - probably replaced ours about every 5 years. That gets old.
Really? I've owned my '02 Mustang GT ragtop for the last 15 years and the top still looks (almost) like new :wink: ...

As to the OP's question, you may not be able to have the top down every day, in all kinds of weather; however nothing can beat a vert for a ride on a warm summer's night, along with those moderate spring days. And those chilly fall days? I just put the top down and crank up the heater.

I live in PA.

BTW, I once read of an aged women who always wanted a convertible but could not drive on her own anymore. She also was a connoisseur of books. Her solution? She purchased a ragtop and every day (when the weather was fine) she would back it out of the garage (with the top down) and continue to read her books. The best of both worlds :mrgreen: ...

Of course, there is the story of a woman who was buried in her Caddy ragtop, but that's another story, for a another thread :twisted: ...

- Ron
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Personally I never owned one or had the urge. Have been in them several times and didn't see the allure. We have sun/moonroof and occasionally enjoy driving with it open. If you can afford it and it appeals to you, do it, you can always just keep it closed, I suppose.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease »

I live in South Florida and could not immagine owning a convertble. It is way to hot to even think about putting downn the top. I have friends with convertibles and they only purchased them because they like the way the car looks.

Maybe in January, February you can put the top down at night time.

So, I would say buy the car you like. If it's a convertible then you will have the option when you want to drive with the top down. Just don't forget your sunblock.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

NewBog21 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pmI do notice that few of the convertible owners in our area rarely put their tops down.
You can't base what you will do solely on what others do. Like many topics, it's not just about the thing in question but the person. There are serious convertible enthusiasts, some that only enjoy them on occasion and those that can't stand them.

As someone living in a hot humid climate (Houston), I had doubts about how much top down driving I'd do with my first convertible purchase many years ago. What I found was that I would have the top down most of the year though it was generally restricted to mornings and evenings during the summer. The advantage to my location is that, unlike those up north, I didn't have to garage my convertible during the winter or swap to winter tires for snow & ice and nearly every day in winter is a top down day. We have maybe a few days where temperatures dip low enough to where I have to be more careful while driving on summer tires but if your car has all season that won't be as much of a concern. With our second convertible purchase, heated and ventilated seats and a heated steering wheel increases the number of our top down days a bit more.

I see people around here that drive with their tops up on nice days. I see people that drive with their tops down in 90+ degree temperatures and high humidity when I wouldn't even consider dropping the top. You have to sort out what works for you. I can't tell you that you will do the same as me or anyone else.
NewBog21 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pm Hubby says I should rent any convertible (at the airport) for a week.
That's one way to do it without committing to a purchase first. A retractable hardtop could be a compromise worth considering. Make sure you drive the type of convertible that you're considering (i.e. soft top or retractable hardtop). That said, not all soft tops and hard tops are the same. For example, my wife's Boxster's soft top has a bit more sound insulation than the soft top on the S2000 I used to have.
NewBog21 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pm Hubby bought a Lexus 2 years ago and loves it and that's what he says I should do
NewBog21 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pm Am I crazy? Should I just buy a Lexus?
It would be crazy to me to to buy something only because because it's what someone else loves. If you like one of Lexus's offerings then get one. If you want a convertible then get one. If you're willing to go preowned you can get both with a Lexus IS 250C or 350C (retractable hardtop) which was made through 2015.
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:12 pmI would never rent one in Florida, Texas or Arizona.
Texas is a huge state. I probably wouldn't rent one along the Gulf Coast or in West Texas but I would certainly consider one in the Hill Country. That said, I live in Texas and own a convertible so it's unlikely that I'd rent a convertible in Texas for that reason.
retire57 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pmThe roofs need to be replaced pretty often - probably replaced ours about every 5 years. That gets old.
Again, not all roofs are the same. Additionally, not all owners care for their vehicles or store them the same way and not all climates are the same. Generally speaking, cloth is more durable, using a protectant helps and storing out of the sub helps. Tops can last for less than 5 years. They can also last for more than 5 years. Granted, a ragtop by its nature isn't going to be as durable as a fixed roof.

That is something else to consider. A ragtop is going to require more maintenance. You can do it yourself or pay someone to do it. With vinyl tops you can just wipe on a protectant. With cloth tops you have to mask the area around the top & spray or spray and carefully remove the overspray from panels, glass, etc adjacent to the fabric top.
Last edited by takeshi on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 am, edited 11 times in total.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I think convertibles can get lots of use in a Southern climate. We love regularly driving our convertible in the Gulf coast area. Admittedly 3 months of the summer are too hot to use it top down except early mornings. Modern convertibles have more than adequate AC for top up days. But where we live Spring, Fall and even most of Winter months have lots of convertible days.

We had a convertible a few years ago in a large city and did not enjoy it because the crowded traffic - noise and fumes makes a convertible unpleasant.
Topic Author
NewBog21

Post by NewBog21 »

I am blown away by all the thoughtful, helpful, considered replies of you forum members. It is surprising that at my age, I have never bought my own car or really thought about what I wanted. I couldn't wait to get my license (and freedom) at 16 and drove whatever was available. You make me feel like driving what you love matters! I like the rental idea and am leaning toward the hard top convertible (I know it is sitting on the fence) and so I need to at least drive one soon.

I love the way each of you seemed to have clear opinions about cars and fun. My first car was a 1959 Jaguar 3.4 sedan and I LOVED it though it was always breaking down. Through the years I had Mustangs, Beetles, Volvos, Hondas, Infinities and a few American cars but never loved another car. Maybe it was just youth and first love.....maybe it is time for fun....

Thanks for helping me think through this issue. You are all invited for ride down the beach road next month!
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Late to the thread.
I bought my first covertible, a Chrysler LeBaron, in 1993 as a direct result of renting one on several occasions. That model was NOT well made mechanically.

I now have a Mustang convertible with 100,000 miles on it. I never lock that car and I leave the top down when I'm out and about during fair weather, such as during Red Sox games.
I shall likely buy a new one in a few years when this one gets old.

I put the top down whenever feasible, including times when I need to run the a/c or the heat to take the edge off.

When it gets over 90 during the summer, I tend to keep the top up.
But that doesn't happen often in New England and even in southern states, it may not get above 90 until mid morning...
Attempted new signature...
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

My first car was a convertible with no AC in South Florida, and I loved that car. The top was down most of the time, even in the heat. More years that I'd like to admit later I just got a CPO Mercedes convertible to use as my daily driver. Now I live up north and, I love the car. I like driving with the top down and sometimes I'll turn the AC or heated seats on or have the front windows up. Driving now feels fun again.

So my vote is to buy one!! Maybe a CPO then if you hate it, no biggie resell and lose a couple of thousand. You might talk a dealer into some sort of pre-agreed trade in deal.

I will tell you that I think I waited too long between convertibles....
btenny

Post by btenny »

Buy a Lexus convertible and get the best of both worlds. Lexus makes two convertible types, a two passenger SC model and a four passenger IS model. See below for the link to the used versions. The slick thing about the Lexus convertibles is they are a hardtop and a convertible. So the hardtop opens and slides into the trunk for a convertible setup and opens for hardtop setup. So the tops last forever and have less road noise. I have two friends who have the SC hardtop convertible SC version and they love them. Good Luck.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... Radius=200

PS. I had a Oldsmobile 442 convertible when I was young for 4 years or so. I loved it and so did my wife. We drove it a lot with the top down in Arizona.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

smitcat wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:02 pm IMO - rent the convertible in perfect weather and buy the hardtop you really want for a full time car.
You end up with the convertible top up all the time except for maybe 10-12 days a year in my experience.

In Florida? Here in Texas, I drove top down 90% of the time when I daily drove a convertible.
cartman

Post by cartman »

I'm 65, married, living in Pittsburgh, and bought a mini cooper convertible two years ago. We're having a blast with it. I always tell people, the Mini is better than a paying a psychiatrist.

Oh, the convertible option doesn't seem to work in "The Burgh" from November through April.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 pm
smitcat wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:02 pm IMO - rent the convertible in perfect weather and buy the hardtop you really want for a full time car.

In Florida? Here in Texas, I drove top down 90% of the time when I daily drove a convertible.
Yes - when I was in my 20's I found many reasons to drive with the top down here in the NE. In my 30's and 40's it was still something I did but almost never with my wife in the car and never with the kids either. Out of the 10 or so drop tops I owned the last one had its top down rarely (now near 60) except for when my daughter was driving it.
The reasons it became less attractive most of the time included heat, rain, looks like rain, leaves, dust, road work, wife's hair, kids safety, snow, theft/security ,wind and noise.
Funny how when I was younger many of those things did not bother me , or maybe I just did not think about it.
Of course everyone is different and that's what makes the world go around so be happy no matter what you buy or how yo drive it.
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

You started driving with a Jaguar, why not buy a new or near new Jaguar hardtop coupe? A beautiful car, with windows down it gives you the convertible fresh air, and the rest of the time you can enjoy the security and comfort of a closed cabin. There are lots of Mercedes and Lexus around, but Jags are still in a class by themselves.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 pm

People are fundamentally different. Some people need a good reason (rain, snow) not to put the top down. Other people look for any excuse (hot, humid, cold, windy....) to put it up. One group gets a lot more use out of the convertible. You just need to figure out who you are.

Renting one for a week or two seems like a reasonable way to go. There are numerous places where you can rent a luxury convertible to decide if having one scratches your itch or if it leaves you wanting more.
denovo

Post by denovo »

NewBog21 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Hubby says I should rent any convertible (at the airport) for a week

Wait, what the heck? The airport is the worst place for renting vehicles. Highest price. Do it literally anywhere else, further from the airport, the better. Costco has good prices if you are a member, but you may need to hunt a bit if looking for specific cars.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

ABSOLUTELY! Just do it! Buy one!
Topic Author
NewBog21

Post by NewBog21 »

cartman wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 pm I'm 65, married, living in Pittsburgh, and bought a mini cooper convertible two years ago. We're having a blast with it. I always tell people, the Mini is better than a paying a psychiatrist.

Oh, the convertible option doesn't seem to work in "The Burgh" from November through April.
Hey! I am a former psychologist! You'd think I'd know the importance of "finding your bliss..."
Topic Author
NewBog21

Post by NewBog21 »

4nwestsaylng wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:02 pm You started driving with a Jaguar, why not buy a new or near new Jaguar hardtop coupe? A beautiful car, with windows down it gives you the convertible fresh air, and the rest of the time you can enjoy the security and comfort of a closed cabin. There are lots of Mercedes and Lexus around, but Jags are still in a class by themselves.
You are so right about Jags but I wonder if the new ones are worth it. I still dream about opening the hood of my old car and seeing what an engine should look like!
denovo

Post by denovo »

NewBog21 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:59 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:02 pm You started driving with a Jaguar, why not buy a new or near new Jaguar hardtop coupe? A beautiful car, with windows down it gives you the convertible fresh air, and the rest of the time you can enjoy the security and comfort of a closed cabin. There are lots of Mercedes and Lexus around, but Jags are still in a class by themselves.
You are so right about Jags but I wonder if the new ones are worth it. I still dream about opening the hood of my old car and seeing what an engine should look like!
May be worth it to check out Consumer Reports, they've fallen by the wayside a bit, but their car reviews are still very good. They go in depth on visibility, comfort, quality of on-board entertainment, and so forth.

Convertibles are pretty light, and have a lot of power. The ride may not be as smooth as the Lexus. I suggest the Corvette. Corvettes and some Camaro's have something called Magnetic Ride which makes the car much smoother than other sports cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

You can't take the money with you. Enjoy it. These cars are fun to drive and it's not like you live in the snow belt where you would need to ground the car for the winter.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

denovo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Wait, what the heck? The airport is the worst place for renting vehicles. Highest price. Do it literally anywhere else, further from the airport, the better. Costco has good prices if you are a member, but you may need to hunt a bit if looking for specific cars.
Last time I rented the airport rental was 50% cheaper than the off airport places. I have also seen cases where it is the reverse. Luckily these days it is pretty easy to research prices.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

btenny wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 pm Buy a Lexus convertible and get the best of both worlds. Lexus makes two convertible types, a two passenger SC model and a four passenger IS model. See below for the link to the used versions. The slick thing about the Lexus convertibles is they are a hardtop and a convertible. So the hardtop opens and slides into the trunk for a convertible setup and opens for hardtop setup. So the tops last forever and have less road noise. I have two friends who have the SC hardtop convertible SC version and they love them. Good Luck.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... Radius=200

PS. I had a Oldsmobile 442 convertible when I was young for 4 years or so. I loved it and so did my wife. We drove it a lot with the top down in Arizona.
The Lexus SC was discontinued like 8 years ago and the IS was discontinued a couple years back. There are rumors of a RC convertible but I don't think production has ever been confirmed. You could buy used but I don't think any of them have modern safety features (blind spot, AEB,...) if those things matter to you.

Several other luxury makers have hard top convertibles if that is what you are looking for.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

denovo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Depends on the place. In some locales the airport is much cheaper due to increased competition and usually lower land prices where airports are located. When I lived in NYC, the airport was less than half the price of renting in Manhattan or even random locations in Brooklyn or Queens.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

randomguy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm The Lexus SC was discontinued like 8 years ago and the IS was discontinued a couple years back. There are rumors of a RC convertible but I don't think production has ever been confirmed. You could buy used but I don't think any of them have modern safety features (blind spot, AEB,...) if those things matter to you.
The SC most definitely does NOT have modern safety features. To give you an idea of how behind-the-times it was, it was literally the last vehicle in the US market to come with a tape deck as standard equipment--AFTER Sony finally killed the Walkman.
Topic Author
NewBog21

Post by NewBog21 »

Well you expressed a lot of great ideas! Convinced me! Bought it yesterday......BMW430i.....now must convince my daughter not to worry about me....

Thanks to each of you.....
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Congratulations - you got both and cannot go wrong.
Good luck with it and have fun