What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
House Blend

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by House Blend »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:59 pm Toni Erdmann (Germany 2016)
A practical joking father invades his corporate daughter's life. Very funny. The New York Times review said the director was inspired by the Andy Kaufman / Tony Clifton combination. I recommend it.
I found it close to unbearable, and gave up after about 90 minutes.

I could sense how it would end and wasn't even interested enough to see whether I was right. Didn't find it to be funny at all; nor did it seem that the director was aiming for "funny". Seemed more like the intent was to make the audience uncomfortable watching attempts at humor fail.

Something much better that I also saw recently: "Get Out".

A fascinating blend of horror, comedy, and social commentary/satire. Highly recommended.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The Caine Mutiny. Excellent.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
spencer99

Post by spencer99 »

House Blend wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 pm
A practical joking father invades his corporate daughter's life. Very funny. The New York Times review said the director was inspired by the Andy Kaufman / Tony Clifton combination. I recommend it.

I could sense how it would end and wasn't even interested enough to see whether I was right. Didn't find it to be funny at all; nor did it seem that the director was aiming for "funny". Seemed more like the intent was to make the audience uncomfortable watching attempts at humor fail.
I wonder if this is a European vs. American sensibility thing. Like House Blend, I found the movie unwatchable. I didn't even match his 90 minute tolerance threshold. I found nothing remotely humorous, much tedious, and although the movie attempted to strike a somewhat intimate realism the characters and relationships didn't strike me as remotely plausible.
S
spencer99

Post by spencer99 »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm The Caine Mutiny. Excellent.
WWII ship-board stories are a great genre (although Caine Mutiny is just as much a court room drama).

Two other good ones are "Mister Roberts" and "The Long Voyage Home".

S
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

reggiesimpson wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 pm A Trip to Spain
A great guy flick. What that means is two guys ribbing each other by verbally insulting one other while impersonating famous actors. Add in terrific scenery and high end restaurant locations plus add a solid dose of middle aged angst and you will be taken on a fun trip.
Remember......Men insult men but don't mean it while women compliment women......but don't mean it. Hey I heard it from a friend (female).
It's a clever theory but it's not true. Women and men like to be praised, and don't like to be insulted.

Dan Ariely refers to some research showing that we (1) love getting compliments, (2) are better disposed toward people who give us compliments, and (3) like these people even when we know that the compliments are insincere ("Irrationally Yours," 2015, p.55).

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Just came back from watching "9/11". This is a fictional story. There is some decent acting with Whoopi Goldberg and Charlie Sheen, but I had a really hard time with some of the racist lines. I recommend skipping this one.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

War for the Planet of the Apes. This is really quite good. My only quibble is that the plot includes the tired Hollywood cliché involving the evil military officer gone rogue.

Recommended.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

madbrain wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:44 am Just came back from watching "9/11". This is a fictional story. There is some decent acting with Whoopi Goldberg and Charlie Sheen, but I had a really hard time with some of the racist lines. I recommend skipping this one.
A very good 9/11 film is United 93.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Finally watched The Manchurian Candidate, the 2004 version directed by Jonathan Demme. I'd held off seeing it because I'd read it was quite different from the '62 version which I liked. Needn't have worried because both are excellent. One thing that surprised me was Meryl Streep's performance, which seemed weak (for her) and especially when compared to Angela Lansbury's in the '62 film. Lansbury was truly, naturally Nasty while Streep kept trying to be.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

It's probably been mentioned here already, but I just watched Moneyball. Great movie. The perfect analogy for passive indexing vs active management.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:20 pm
reggiesimpson wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:04 pm A Trip to Spain
A great guy flick. What that means is two guys ribbing each other by verbally insulting one other while impersonating famous actors. Add in terrific scenery and high end restaurant locations plus add a solid dose of middle aged angst and you will be taken on a fun trip.
Remember......Men insult men but don't mean it while women compliment women......but don't mean it. Hey I heard it from a friend (female).
It's a clever theory but it's not true. Women and men like to be praised, and don't like to be insulted.

Dan Ariely refers to some research showing that we (1) love getting compliments, (2) are better disposed toward people who give us compliments, and (3) like these people even when we know that the compliments are insincere ("Irrationally Yours," 2015, p.55).

Victoria
A "ribbing" is one of the many ways in which men reduce potential conflict with one another. Puts a check on that pesky hormone testosterone and balances the playing field, so to speak, so we can get through the day in peace rather than violence. Women have a hard time understanding this technique and certainly do not appreciate it when its used on them. So we dont. As far as the second half of the comment i checked with my wife and she thought it quite accurate. Maybe Dan should ask his wife?

Cheers
reggie
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Maudie

Maud, a physically challenged woman with few prospects, becomes a housekeeper
for a rough, ill-tempered fish peddler and handyman in a one room shack in Nova
Scotia. Initially she is mistreated but finds painting (in the folk art style) gives
her joy in an otherwise dismal life. Over time the man softens a little and they
get married. Her first paintings were essentially post cards with scenes that became
popular with the local residents. Later she produces larger formats on beaver board
and Masonite. Her work starts getting noticed and selling but her lot in life seems
little changed.
Touching, and at times heartbreaking, this is a poignant film with superb acting.
Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 »

wilson08 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 pm Maudie

Maud, a physically challenged woman with few prospects, becomes a housekeeper
for a rough, ill-tempered fish peddler and handyman in a one room shack in Nova
Scotia. Initially she is mistreated but finds painting (in the folk art style) gives
her joy in an otherwise dismal life. Over time the man softens a little and they
get married. Her first paintings were essentially post cards with scenes that became
popular with the local residents. Later she produces larger formats on beaver board
and Masonite. Her work starts getting noticed and selling but her lot in life seems
little changed.
Touching, and at times heartbreaking, this is a poignant film with superb acting.
Great review! We loved this movie, see it if you get a chance. It will be a strong Oscar contender. The gorgeous scenery in Canada and acting are both breath taking.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Gifted, and Independence Day 2.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"Hidden Figures" last night on HBO.

A look at 3 African American women pioneers at NASA during the John Glenn era. A really good look at our recent history and how AA and women were treated, not so long ago.

Ed
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"Hidden Figures" last night on HBO.

A look at 3 African American women pioneers at NASA during the John Glenn era. A really good look at our recent history and how AA and women were treated, not so long ago.

Ed
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

itstoomuch wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 am Gifted, and Independence Day 2.
I watched Independence Day 2 when it came out in the theaters last year. I had mixed feelings concerning the quality of the movie. I saw the original movie back in the 90s when I was still a kid (on a VHS tape no less), so there was certainly a nostalgia element to watching the sequel 20 years later. While there were some memorable scenes and quotes, I would have preferred the movie focused more on developing a solid plot.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"The Founder" on Netflix. Starring Michael Keaton playing Ray Kroc and the launch of McDonald's. Very good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

flamesabers wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:07 am
itstoomuch wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 am Gifted, and Independence Day 2.
I watched Independence Day 2 when it came out in the theaters last year. I had mixed feelings concerning the quality of the movie. I saw the original movie back in the 90s when I was still a kid (on a VHS tape no less), so there was certainly a nostalgia element to watching the sequel 20 years later. While there were some memorable scenes and quotes, I would have preferred the movie focused more on developing a solid plot.
I would agree. I felt as if I had to watch part 2 since I was in line at the theaters 20 years ago to see part 1 (remember those days?). Some good moments but the original was unique for its time. Will Smith missing also had an impact.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

spencer99 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:15 pm
House Blend wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 pm

I wonder if this is a European vs. American sensibility thing. Like House Blend, I found the movie unwatchable. I didn't even match his 90 minute tolerance threshold. I found nothing remotely humorous, much tedious, and although the movie attempted to strike a somewhat intimate realism the characters and relationships didn't strike me as remotely plausible.
S
I don't know, I liked it. To each their own I guess, no accounting for taste. Maybe it's because of my European ancestry. Anyway it's going to be remade in English starring Jack Nicholson, who hasn't worked since 2010 according to IMDB. I thought he was retired. Apparently he thought enough of the script to come out of retirement. Could be good. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6513872/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I watched American Assassin last night. I think it was a good action movie.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

"SCORE"

About the composing (and mixing, etc.) of scores to major movies over the years.

Fascinating.

I'll never watch any movie quite the same way again.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
ttjt_99

Post by ttjt_99 »

Dune (1984). I hear a remake is on the way.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Blade Runner from 1982. I am looking forward to the sequel in early October. Blade Runner 2045.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

It Came from Outer Space (1953)
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

In the last week I watched two British animated films. First was "Watership Down", the 1978 movie. I had read the book many years ago but never saw the movie. I thought it was very well done.

Last night I was again in the mood for something different so I re-watched "Shaun the Sheep". It was light, funny, and had a happy ending; even the villain survived. Another very well done movie.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

An Inconvenient Truth, the Sequel: Speaking Truth to Power - much less about the science than the first one (which was really a sort of rock concert tour movie of the presentation). More about the politics leading up to Paris COP 21 -- the scene where they take the Metro to get out of a traffic jam... Some scenes, such as meeting public officials in Miami, were quite interesting. I found it to be quite moving, on the whole.

http://www.pbs.org/the-farthest/home/

The Farthest - will be a PBS documentary as well. About the Voyager Space Probes, Voyager I is the first man made object to leave the solar system and the solid gold LP it carries with the voices and music of humanity will likely be the last thing to survive us in the Cosmos. The Voyager probes bracket my adult life, and in particular I find the clips of Carl Sagan, who was instrumental in getting the record put on the craft, to be touching -- Sagan died not long after the Voyager reports from Uranus, I believe. There's that sense of loss, of someone one has known, who is no more, a shining beacon in the darkness, extinguished.

Wonder Woman, which I enjoyed as a better class of superhero movie (OK, low bar ;-)). For me, the scene in which her advance across No Man's Land is seen from the perspective of the German Machine Gun crew-- that's not a perspective often shown in Hollywood's depictions of war. You could feel how baffling and frightening it must have been. Gal Godot was an appropriate choice for Wonder Woman-- possessing the right degree of physicality (she was actually pregnant for some of the retakes, which were shot green screen), foreignness and humour. The English comedienne (Lucy Davis) who plays Eta Candy deserved a bigger part ;-). And Danny Huston as the villainous Ludendorf is just perfect -- his brooding, hulking presence (with the obligatory bad guy German accent).
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Star Wars: A New Hope - I just love Han's banter throughout the series, and I'm more impressed with the graphics the older I get (given when the movie was made). We're (slowly) watching through all the movies by release date.

Inside Out - a really touching perspective on family life, and a really neat (simple) way to explore the brain/personality. As a relatively new parent (2 yo and 11 mo), it was a reminder of how important parents' presence is. Plus, I love that ice hockey played such a pivotal role in a cartoon.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - this was a world of difference from Dr. Strange. Maybe because the characters were aliens/cyborgs, but I wasn't expecting as much development from them and I got more than I bargained for. There were plenty of witty lines to keep me laughing, which might have been annoying to my seat mates in the airplane. I've seen this movie described as "rollicking", and I would definitely use that word to describe it. I'm itching to see more Thanos in the upcoming films, and I really liked Drax.

Marvel's Dr. Strange - I generally like comicbook movies, and I appreciated the jokes in this film, but I just really couldn't connect with any character and it felt very rushed in not even a two hour movie. The special effects were pretty cool, but it's 2017 and I really expect that in this type of film so it wasn't enough for me to get over the characters themselves. About 45 minutes in I was regretting not renting GotG vol 2 for my return flight.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

"Lucky Number Slevin" on Netflix. This is a very good movie.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

The Accountant
The Pursuit of Happiness
Lifted
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Logan, $5.99 rental on Amazon prime. I'm not sure what to make of it. After so many X-Men movies, it seems they were trying to stick a fork in it, the series is done. Perhaps it will be restarted with new characters, but I doubt it can ever be the same.

The acting and action was good, worth watching.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Texanbybirth wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:55 am

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy - this was a world of difference from Dr. Strange. Maybe because the characters were aliens/cyborgs, but I wasn't expecting as much development from them and I got more than I bargained for. There were plenty of witty lines to keep me laughing, which might have been annoying to my seat mates in the airplane. I've seen this movie described as "rollicking", and I would definitely use that word to describe it. I'm itching to see more Thanos in the upcoming films, and I really liked Drax.
The first one? Or the sequel? The first one introduces the characters, the sequel develops them and their interrelationships a lot more.

As against the rest of the Marvel franchise, there's more humour and the characters are quirkier.

It's all being brought together in one supermovie, where the Avengers and the Guardians team up. Such films usually don't work because there are too many characters with not enough screen time for each. We shall see.
Marvel's Dr. Strange - I generally like comicbook movies, and I appreciated the jokes in this film, but I just really couldn't connect with any character and it felt very rushed in not even a two hour movie. The special effects were pretty cool, but it's 2017 and I really expect that in this type of film so it wasn't enough for me to get over the characters themselves. About 45 minutes in I was regretting not renting GotG vol 2 for my return flight.
I found Benedict Cumberbatch brought his usual acting diligence to the role. And the fight scenes, being limited to a few characters, were a lot better than most of the movies. I have to say that I liked it.

GtoG 2 is also quite good but there's a lot more talking than in the first one.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:49 pm "The Founder" on Netflix. Starring Michael Keaton playing Ray Kroc and the launch of McDonald's. Very good.
I really enjoyed this movie. Well made. Not exactly correct factually (I dug a little after watching) but just plain enjoyable for me. I love movies about business & visionaries.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:18 am
Texanbybirth wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:55 am

The first one? Or the sequel? The first one introduces the characters, the sequel develops them and their interrelationships a lot more.

As against the rest of the Marvel franchise, there's more humour and the characters are quirkier.

It's all being brought together in one supermovie, where the Avengers and the Guardians team up. Such films usually don't work because there are too many characters with not enough screen time for each. We shall see.
I found Benedict Cumberbatch brought his usual acting diligence to the role. And the fight scenes, being limited to a few characters, were a lot better than most of the movies. I have to say that I liked it.

GtoG 2 is also quite good but there's a lot more talking than in the first one.
I'm looking forward to Infinity Wars, though I have very low expectations for it. At least it will be two-parts so I'm hoping for north of 4.5 hours of screen time.

Thanks for the note on GotG 2.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 pm Logan, $5.99 rental on Amazon prime. I'm not sure what to make of it. After so many X-Men movies, it seems they were trying to stick a fork in it, the series is done. Perhaps it will be restarted with new characters, but I doubt it can ever be the same.

The acting and action was good, worth watching.
Interesting. I haven't read a lot about this movie. Like so many kids, Wolverine was my favorite X-Man. I might have to rent it with my wife when we need a relax night. Can it be enjoyed sufficiently out of context with the rest of the films? We haven't kept up with the franchise in recent years.

The X-Men series is closing its second decade in Hollywood and I think it lost steam with mainstream America a few films ago.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I don't think so. You had to know what was going on with the last few X-Men movies to understand this follow-up.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retire57

Post by retire57 »

Banking On Bitcoin via Netflix. A thoughtful exploration of the Bitcoin phenomenon. Recommend it.
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

Hot Fuzz. Cause life is just too serious sometimes.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Shepherds and Butchers is a courtroom drama about a prison guard who is both the Shepherd and Butcher of fellow death row inmates. It contains graphic steps retracing the guard's outside murder and inside execution. The guard started his job as executioner only one day on the job at 17.

Capital punishment was banned after Mandela became president of South Africa.

Movies was based on a novel by Chris Marnewick.

https://www.amazon.com/Shepherds-Butche ... 1784753432
DCChak

Post by DCChak »

The Big Sick - Charming rom com with Pakistani lead from Silicon Valley and strong supporting roles by Holly Hunter and Ray Ramano, produced by Judd Apatow.
How to Be a Latin Lover - Despite being panned at Rotten Tomatoes, for me this was slightly guilty, silly pleasure, also with fun supporting roles from Salma Hayek, Rob Lowe, Rob Corddry, Raquel Welsh, McKenna Grace and Kristen Bell. Mainstream-ish American introduction to Eugenio Derbez, who is apparently a big Mexican TV star.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

A Ghost Story - a total waste of talents in an overblown 92 minute film. Somehow the reviews are totally polarized on this one in IMDB. I'm one of those who think it should be a 2 for cinematography and acting. There was hardly any scripts except during one of the parties toward the end.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Minions, on Netflix. I had my hopes that this animated film would be good. So much for hope. Playing a few popular songs from the '60s does not make it a good movie. I'd skip it.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“The Newton Boys” on Netflix.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, a Miyazaki film from 1982. I had not seen this one before and it's much darker than I expected. Not suitable for small children, in my opinion, and some of the ones in the audience were visibly upset. Still, it has a happy ending. Repeat showings this Monday and Wednesday.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Willow Creek

I loved it but I will admit that it's not for everyone. And I should say that I am a HUGE sucker for "found footage" films and movies that make the most out of a low budget.

It's a guy and his gf go out on an trip to a town where many bigfoot sightings have happened. The beginning was slow and mostly just interviews with locals... and then they go out in the woods. The movie never shows a Sasquatch but did make it very suspenseful.
blacklab

Post by blacklab »

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, 1962 with Richard Burton.
By way of explanation, before reading John LeCarre's latest, A Legacy of Spies, decided to read the original book, which I had never gotten around to reading. Which led me to renting the film from Amazon.
Greatly enjoyed both books and the film too.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

MP173 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:02 am "Hidden Figures" last night on HBO.

Ed
+1
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

new2bogle wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:34 pm
MP173 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:02 am "Hidden Figures" last night on HBO.

Ed
+1
An excellent movie in my opinion.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Sammismom

Post by Sammismom »

"Bright Star" on Netflix.

A Jane Campion film about FannyBrawne/JohnKeats romance starring Ben Wishaw and Abbie Cornish.

Ending is very sad, of course, but I found the rest of it to be a joy.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Finally saw Wonder Woman last night. Disappointing to me and so so long without need. I had lots of time to look at the actors. Some looked so familiar that I checked iMBD afterwards to confirm David Thewlis (VM Varga of Fargo 3rd season; the bulimic with the bad teeth) as the face that I knew I knew. Better teeth in WW.

While looking at the cast I saw that Robin Wright was Antiope. I didn't recognize her. She was just mentioned last week as Princess Buttercup on The Princess Bride movie, can you believe 1987? Also in House of Cards and also to be seen in the nearly released Blade Runner 2049.