Iphone X is $1000

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BW1985
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by BW1985 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 pm

thangngo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:40 pm
DTalos wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm
How long do iPhones last before they generally start to slow down or become obsolete due to operating system updates?
I've never had a problem using them 2-3 years, but I would expect once you get to year 4-5 things start to get long in the tooth (don't keep my phones that long, so I don't know).
My first iPhone was an iPhone 3G got it around 2009. It slowed down considerably so I upgraded to my current phone.

My current iPhone was an iPhone 6 got it around 2015. It's working fine no slowing down while I'm using iOS 11 beta. Battery can still hold 2 days. I think Apple did a good job with the iPhone 6 and I don't think it'll be obsolete for another 2-3 years.
Wife just got a 6S today, hope it lasts atleast 2 years.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

jjface
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by jjface » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Cash wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:37 pm
GuitarXM wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:36 pm
No new features.
That's just factually incorrect.
Yes I mean those animojis that follow your face. Wow. Not.

jjface
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by jjface » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:19 pm

It is all relative. My cell plan costs $7.50 a month and some people pay $80 a month. I could buy an Iphone X and still be paying less.

At the end of the day the real decision is whether picking an X over an iphone SE, 6S or 7 (or +) is worth it. You get a phone that is 90-95% of what the X is at a fraction of the cost. And yet still have the headphone jack for the earlier ones and touchid etc. These days the older models can still work really well. No real need for an upgrade. Plus who really wants to limit themselves to just faceID or a passcode to unlock. People will still buy it though. Must have the latest.

theplayer11
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:33 pm

SE for $150 is the best bang for your buck. Same processor as the 6s

H-Town
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by H-Town » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:02 pm

jjface wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:19 pm
It is all relative. My cell plan costs $7.50 a month and some people pay $80 a month. I could buy an Iphone X and still be paying less.

At the end of the day the real decision is whether picking an X over an iphone SE, 6S or 7 (or +) is worth it. You get a phone that is 90-95% of what the X is at a fraction of the cost. And yet still have the headphone jack for the earlier ones and touchid etc. These days the older models can still work really well. No real need for an upgrade. Plus who really wants to limit themselves to just faceID or a passcode to unlock. People will still buy it though. Must have the latest.
Which cellphone plan are you using?

User avatar
CyclingDuo
Posts: 1729
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by CyclingDuo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:59 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 pm
thangngo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:40 pm
DTalos wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm
How long do iPhones last before they generally start to slow down or become obsolete due to operating system updates?
I've never had a problem using them 2-3 years, but I would expect once you get to year 4-5 things start to get long in the tooth (don't keep my phones that long, so I don't know).
My first iPhone was an iPhone 3G got it around 2009. It slowed down considerably so I upgraded to my current phone.

My current iPhone was an iPhone 6 got it around 2015. It's working fine no slowing down while I'm using iOS 11 beta. Battery can still hold 2 days. I think Apple did a good job with the iPhone 6 and I don't think it'll be obsolete for another 2-3 years.
Wife just got a 6S today, hope it lasts atleast 2 years.
That's a good phone. It's what I have and it is still going strong after 2+ years. No need for me to upgrade until this one gives up the ghost.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

wfrobinette
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by wfrobinette » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:35 am

onourway wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:56 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm

So if apple won't enable the chip then whats the use? I"d be a really upset consumer if I got the intel chip and apple decided to open up the qualcomm chip.

I disagree that it matters only to spec geeks. It matters to anyone on a network. Less congestion due to a bigger pipe benefits everyone.

Nobody noticed from 50 to 100 because collectively you weren't bogging down the 50mb connection. Have them all start to stream march madness at the same time or have someone start downloading a TB file from a server/machine at 50 MB then switch to 100mb. I guarantee they would notice. Try to run a corp network at 10GB/sec but have everyone connect at 100mb/sec and see what happens.
And the reason that we aren't bogging down the network is because the Internet as it stands today doesn't demand connection speeds faster than around 20Mbps for 99% of what most users do. The web servers can't typically provide data faster than that and video streaming doesn't demand that much bandwidth. Yes, of course if one part of the equation is over capacity everyone will suffer - but that's the point I'm making - the current tight points in capacity are much further upstream than in the end users handset. Increasing the theoretical capacity of your handset from the current ~450Mbps to 1Gbps makes no difference if the bottleneck further upstream limits you to 20Mbps.
Read up on 256 QAM and it's benefits to gigabit LTE. we are getting a bigger pipe that can handle more data at higher speeds. Your thinking about this from a single or a few end points. Like I said have your entire office start streaming 1080p content or have someone start downloading a TB file and see what happens to your connection. Every user doesn't get 50mb the whole connection gets 50mb. So is you get 12 to 14 people streaming at 4mb you clog the thing up and everyone suffers. Have someone push a TB file up and gets way worse. Why do think we have 10gb switches in servers and such? Throughput.

If this was no big deal then why would the carriers be investing aggressively to implement it?

I stand by my claim that gigabit LTE is a game changer and apple should have had it in their phones.
Last edited by wfrobinette on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pinotage
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:02 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Pinotage » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:39 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:33 pm
SE for $150 is the best bang for your buck. Same processor as the 6s
Agreed!

Great features and speed, and I appreciate the smaller form factor.

It won't be my phone forever but it works very well for what I need today.

User avatar
StevieG72
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by StevieG72 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:46 am

These prices are ridiculous. I love the Iphone but don't need the latest model as soon as it comes out.
I am currently using a 6s.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 5284
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:57 am

FloRidaRocky wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 am
I've tried them and they just aren't good enough for me. To each his own.
How did you survive 15 years ago when we were all carrying flip phones?
How did we survive before Google or the internet or the interstate highway system or flight or the combustion engine or antibiotics or seatbelts. Of course people did but each invention has made life easier. Or maybe you want a to carry a flip phone, palm pilot, G-Shock watch, Ti Calculator and Sony Walkman around while driving to your broker to place a trade for $80?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

donaldfair71
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by donaldfair71 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:02 am

Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:56 pm
donaldfair71 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:21 am
matatupuncher wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 am
The anti-IPhone snobs on here are worse than beer snobs.
There's a sociology lesson here in that very few people can go, "My phone is good, your phone that is kinda different is also good, we both can have nice things and they're not the same nice thing".
Exactly. :beer

I've got an iPhone 5. Apparently I'm left out for iOS 11, which I'm actually looking forward to. We'll be spending the next couple months in my house deciding whether I get the SE, the (much more expensive) 8, or the (now cheaper, but marginally more expensive) 7. I have no appetite for the X. I have TouchID on the iPad and I LOVE it. All three above choices have it, but I'm intrigued by wireless charging.

I like cyclingduo's breakout of cost per day for the phone in one year. With AppleCare and case, an 8 comes out to $3.04. A 7 now comes out to $2.44/day. Since I obviously keep phones longer than one year, my daily cost goes down by 50% at least. I spend about $1.05/day on AT&T's DirectTV NOW, $4 on electricity, $2-$3 on water, and way more on transportation. Although I can't say I would give up my car before my iPhone (like another poster), it is certainly a very useful piece of technology in my life.
Nice!

I can speak for the SE. It is a really nice little smartphone. I made the move from a Galaxy S5 that I liked. Not unlike a person who has always been a Toyota person and just wanted "something different" and bought a Honda, I made the move to iPhone simply because I wanted a change in my life. It hasn't disappointed at all, and I recommend to anyone.

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 5284
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:04 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:59 pm
BW1985 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 pm
thangngo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:40 pm
DTalos wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm
How long do iPhones last before they generally start to slow down or become obsolete due to operating system updates?
I've never had a problem using them 2-3 years, but I would expect once you get to year 4-5 things start to get long in the tooth (don't keep my phones that long, so I don't know).
My first iPhone was an iPhone 3G got it around 2009. It slowed down considerably so I upgraded to my current phone.

My current iPhone was an iPhone 6 got it around 2015. It's working fine no slowing down while I'm using iOS 11 beta. Battery can still hold 2 days. I think Apple did a good job with the iPhone 6 and I don't think it'll be obsolete for another 2-3 years.
Wife just got a 6S today, hope it lasts atleast 2 years.
That's a good phone. It's what I have and it is still going strong after 2+ years. No need for me to upgrade until this one gives up the ghost.
That isn't the case for heavy users, their batteries are are really suffering by this point. That is the main reason most people I know are buying new phones. Personally, I can't ever remember being disappointed in any new phone I bought. FWIW, the old Motorola flip phones were cool.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

nura
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by nura » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 am

Buying a Smart Phone for $1000 is more prudent and frugal than a Electric Car for $100,000

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 5284
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:35 am

nura wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 am
Buying a Smart Phone for $1000 is more prudent and frugal than a Electric Car for $100,000
Unless you are single in Southern California. :oops: :oops: :oops:
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Nate79
Posts: 3486
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Nate79 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:06 am

nura wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 am
Buying a Smart Phone for $1000 is more prudent and frugal than a Electric Car for $100,000
Neither are prudent. Two negatives don't make a positive when wasting money.

User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2130
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:04 am
CyclingDuo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:59 pm
BW1985 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 pm
thangngo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm
CyclingDuo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:40 pm


I've never had a problem using them 2-3 years, but I would expect once you get to year 4-5 things start to get long in the tooth (don't keep my phones that long, so I don't know).
My first iPhone was an iPhone 3G got it around 2009. It slowed down considerably so I upgraded to my current phone.

My current iPhone was an iPhone 6 got it around 2015. It's working fine no slowing down while I'm using iOS 11 beta. Battery can still hold 2 days. I think Apple did a good job with the iPhone 6 and I don't think it'll be obsolete for another 2-3 years.
Wife just got a 6S today, hope it lasts atleast 2 years.
That's a good phone. It's what I have and it is still going strong after 2+ years. No need for me to upgrade until this one gives up the ghost.
That isn't the case for heavy users, their batteries are are really suffering by this point. That is the main reason most people I know are buying new phones. Personally, I can't ever remember being disappointed in any new phone I bought. FWIW, the old Motorola flip phones were cool.
If the iPhone still works OK, why not replace the battery:
https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
Best Wishes, | Joe

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 5284
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 am

JMacDonald wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 am
TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:04 am
CyclingDuo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:59 pm
BW1985 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 pm
thangngo wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm


My first iPhone was an iPhone 3G got it around 2009. It slowed down considerably so I upgraded to my current phone.

My current iPhone was an iPhone 6 got it around 2015. It's working fine no slowing down while I'm using iOS 11 beta. Battery can still hold 2 days. I think Apple did a good job with the iPhone 6 and I don't think it'll be obsolete for another 2-3 years.
Wife just got a 6S today, hope it lasts atleast 2 years.
That's a good phone. It's what I have and it is still going strong after 2+ years. No need for me to upgrade until this one gives up the ghost.
That isn't the case for heavy users, their batteries are are really suffering by this point. That is the main reason most people I know are buying new phones. Personally, I can't ever remember being disappointed in any new phone I bought. FWIW, the old Motorola flip phones were cool.
If the iPhone still works OK, why not replace the battery:
https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
Because I want a shiny new phone and take the battery wearing out as a sign it is time? Besides my phone is worth north of $200 in trade so add in the repair cost for a new battery and the new iPhone doesn't seem as expensive.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

wrongfunds
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:53 am

SE for $150 is the best bang for your buck. Same processor as the 6s
Can you tell me where can I get unlocked SE for $150?

neilpilot
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by neilpilot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm

nura wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 am
Buying a Smart Phone for $1000 is more prudent and frugal than a Electric Car for $100,000
Prudent maybe the new smart phone I just bought, that cost $1 (no contract, shipping included). I expect my Model 3 in Mar18 will cost me about $30k after rebate.

User avatar
catdude
Posts: 1543
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by catdude » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:24 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:53 am
SE for $150 is the best bang for your buck. Same processor as the 6s
Can you tell me where can I get unlocked SE for $150?
I don't know of a place selling the SE for $150, but Consumer Cellular is selling it for $160 ...

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/821/Details
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.

cutterinnj
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:34 pm

catdude wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:24 pm
wrongfunds wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:53 am
SE for $150 is the best bang for your buck. Same processor as the 6s
Can you tell me where can I get unlocked SE for $150?
I don't know of a place selling the SE for $150, but Consumer Cellular is selling it for $160 ...

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/821/Details
I've seen the SE as cheap as $105.
Here is one at Bestbuy for $140 if you use any AT&T network.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-prepa ... Id=5792701

neilpilot
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by neilpilot » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:35 pm

catdude wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:24 pm
wrongfunds wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:53 am
SE for $150 is the best bang for your buck. Same processor as the 6s
Can you tell me where can I get unlocked SE for $150?
I don't know of a place selling the SE for $150, but Consumer Cellular is selling it for $160 ...

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/821/Details
....but it's locked until your with them for >6 months.

cutterinnj
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:36 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:53 am
SE for $150 is the best bang for your buck. Same processor as the 6s
Can you tell me where can I get unlocked SE for $150?
You can't get it unlocked for $150; you can get it for $105 from SimpleMobile (TMobile), $140 for an AT&T Network, and $200 (maybe less?) for a Verizon network.
After a year, you can unlock it if it really matters to you.

cutterinnj
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:37 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:35 pm
catdude wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:24 pm
wrongfunds wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:53 am
SE for $150 is the best bang for your buck. Same processor as the 6s
Can you tell me where can I get unlocked SE for $150?
I don't know of a place selling the SE for $150, but Consumer Cellular is selling it for $160 ...

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products/821/Details
....but it's locked until your with them for >6 months.
Correct. If that matters to you and you don't want to get one of those $1.50/month plan and leave it for 6 months (or just use it on the network it is intended for), then it's probably not a good deal for you.
For my mother-in-law and friends I told about this, it's a steal.

User avatar
stratton
Posts: 11082
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by stratton » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:58 pm

wander wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 pm
stratton wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:31 am
wander wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm
I am not sure if new Iphones support new T-Mobile 600 MHz frequency. T-Mobile users may need to wait for another phone.
No it won't.
I thought so too. Thanks for confirming that. For that, I wouldn't think of any reason to buy this phone if I was a T-Mobile user.
I have no idea if it is just a bios upgrade for the new band to be added or it requires an all new LTE modem which probably means wait until next year for a new phone.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:28 pm

$1.50/month plan
It is for Verizon but if the above is really true, then we can wait for 6 months! So the next question is where do I find $1.50 plan per month?

onourway
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by onourway » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:42 am

wfrobinette wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:35 am

Read up on 256 QAM and it's benefits to gigabit LTE. we are getting a bigger pipe that can handle more data at higher speeds. Your thinking about this from a single or a few end points. Like I said have your entire office start streaming 1080p content or have someone start downloading a TB file and see what happens to your connection. Every user doesn't get 50mb the whole connection gets 50mb. So is you get 12 to 14 people streaming at 4mb you clog the thing up and everyone suffers. Have someone push a TB file up and gets way worse. Why do think we have 10gb switches in servers and such? Throughput.

If this was no big deal then why would the carriers be investing aggressively to implement it?

I stand by my claim that gigabit LTE is a game changer and apple should have had it in their phones.
You're right about what would happen at our office - we have a single 50Mbps pipe and any given device in the building is capable of at least 100Mbps, with most of them wired in to our Gigabit network. That's why the experience of using the Internet at our workplace is no different whether you are on a laptop with moderate wifi signal or on a workstation with dual-wired gigabit. The bottleneck is the network coming in to the office, not the individual device.

This is exactly the same situation with the wireless carriers. The choke point is how much bandwidth each tower can distribute. Current modern handsets are capable of up to a theoretical ~450Mbps, but the towers don't generally provide more than about 20Mbps to any individual device. So if user A has an iPhone with a chip capable of '450Mbps' and user B has a Galaxy S9 capable of '1Gbps' their experience is going to be fundamentally the same when the towers are only feeding them 20Mbps, or 40Mbps, or 80 or whatever -(exactly the same as in our office where a computer with a 100Mbps connection is at no disadvantage for the 50Mbps Internet connection as compared to one on Gigabit.) Yes, at some point in the future gigabit will be important, but we aren't going to go from 20Mbps real-world speeds today to 800Mbps real-world in a few months. It's going to take years.

User avatar
StevieG72
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:31 am

BW1985 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Will the prices of the 6 and 7 models drop now that the 8 and X are out?

Yes, they have in the past.

6s Dropped by $100 last year when the iphone 7 launched.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

wfrobinette
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by wfrobinette » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:28 am

onourway wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:42 am
wfrobinette wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:35 am

Read up on 256 QAM and it's benefits to gigabit LTE. we are getting a bigger pipe that can handle more data at higher speeds. Your thinking about this from a single or a few end points. Like I said have your entire office start streaming 1080p content or have someone start downloading a TB file and see what happens to your connection. Every user doesn't get 50mb the whole connection gets 50mb. So is you get 12 to 14 people streaming at 4mb you clog the thing up and everyone suffers. Have someone push a TB file up and gets way worse. Why do think we have 10gb switches in servers and such? Throughput.

If this was no big deal then why would the carriers be investing aggressively to implement it?

I stand by my claim that gigabit LTE is a game changer and apple should have had it in their phones.
You're right about what would happen at our office - we have a single 50Mbps pipe and any given device in the building is capable of at least 100Mbps, with most of them wired in to our Gigabit network. That's why the experience of using the Internet at our workplace is no different whether you are on a laptop with moderate wifi signal or on a workstation with dual-wired gigabit. The bottleneck is the network coming in to the office, not the individual device.

This is exactly the same situation with the wireless carriers. The choke point is how much bandwidth each tower can distribute. Current modern handsets are capable of up to a theoretical ~450Mbps, but the towers don't generally provide more than about 20Mbps to any individual device. So if user A has an iPhone with a chip capable of '450Mbps' and user B has a Galaxy S9 capable of '1Gbps' their experience is going to be fundamentally the same when the towers are only feeding them 20Mbps, or 40Mbps, or 80 or whatever -(exactly the same as in our office where a computer with a 100Mbps connection is at no disadvantage for the 50Mbps Internet connection as compared to one on Gigabit.) Yes, at some point in the future gigabit will be important, but we aren't going to go from 20Mbps real-world speeds today to 800Mbps real-world in a few months. It's going to take years.
Gigabit LTE is going to give the carriers a bigger pipe to work with. (more bandwidth) The gigabit standard that all carriers are moving to now is going to allow them to give more than 20Mb per device or the tower will be able to handle many more devices at the same speed. I agree that it's going to take years to get to 800Mbps for all. However, if we can go from 20 to 40 or 80 Mbps while at the same time increasing bandwidth for all it's a huge win.

Have you read this? it explains it in detail and also shows that even on a regular LTE network the gigbit LTE chip/moden with 4 antennas vs 2 out performs what Apple is putting in their phone.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2017/ ... -available

To take advantage of that you are going to need a chip and modem that supports the standard. That Iphone with its 450Mbps chip can't benefit because it is incapable of receiving a gigabit LTE signal. By 2018 nearly all metro areas will have this technology enabled. Unless you're trading in a phone every 18 to 24 months it makes this cycle of Apple phones less than desirable. I'm due and am not spending $1000 on something that is clearly behind their competitors.

emoore
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by emoore » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:10 am

wfrobinette wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:28 am
onourway wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:42 am
wfrobinette wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:35 am

Read up on 256 QAM and it's benefits to gigabit LTE. we are getting a bigger pipe that can handle more data at higher speeds. Your thinking about this from a single or a few end points. Like I said have your entire office start streaming 1080p content or have someone start downloading a TB file and see what happens to your connection. Every user doesn't get 50mb the whole connection gets 50mb. So is you get 12 to 14 people streaming at 4mb you clog the thing up and everyone suffers. Have someone push a TB file up and gets way worse. Why do think we have 10gb switches in servers and such? Throughput.

If this was no big deal then why would the carriers be investing aggressively to implement it?

I stand by my claim that gigabit LTE is a game changer and apple should have had it in their phones.
You're right about what would happen at our office - we have a single 50Mbps pipe and any given device in the building is capable of at least 100Mbps, with most of them wired in to our Gigabit network. That's why the experience of using the Internet at our workplace is no different whether you are on a laptop with moderate wifi signal or on a workstation with dual-wired gigabit. The bottleneck is the network coming in to the office, not the individual device.

This is exactly the same situation with the wireless carriers. The choke point is how much bandwidth each tower can distribute. Current modern handsets are capable of up to a theoretical ~450Mbps, but the towers don't generally provide more than about 20Mbps to any individual device. So if user A has an iPhone with a chip capable of '450Mbps' and user B has a Galaxy S9 capable of '1Gbps' their experience is going to be fundamentally the same when the towers are only feeding them 20Mbps, or 40Mbps, or 80 or whatever -(exactly the same as in our office where a computer with a 100Mbps connection is at no disadvantage for the 50Mbps Internet connection as compared to one on Gigabit.) Yes, at some point in the future gigabit will be important, but we aren't going to go from 20Mbps real-world speeds today to 800Mbps real-world in a few months. It's going to take years.
Gigabit LTE is going to give the carriers a bigger pipe to work with. (more bandwidth) The gigabit standard that all carriers are moving to now is going to allow them to give more than 20Mb per device or the tower will be able to handle many more devices at the same speed. I agree that it's going to take years to get to 800Mbps for all. However, if we can go from 20 to 40 or 80 Mbps while at the same time increasing bandwidth for all it's a huge win.

Have you read this? it explains it in detail and also shows that even on a regular LTE network the gigbit LTE chip/moden with 4 antennas vs 2 out performs what Apple is putting in their phone.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2017/ ... -available

To take advantage of that you are going to need a chip and modem that supports the standard. That Iphone with its 450Mbps chip can't benefit because it is incapable of receiving a gigabit LTE signal. By 2018 nearly all metro areas will have this technology enabled. Unless you're trading in a phone every 18 to 24 months it makes this cycle of Apple phones less than desirable. I'm due and am not spending $1000 on something that is clearly behind their competitors.
I would think it will take many years for 90+% of cell phone users to even notice. It's not like the huge step of going from a flip phone to a smart phone.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by F150HD » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm not an IPhone guy, but, why doesn't this come w/ a headphone jack?

seems many use phones for music (I don't personally) so was curious??

Jags4186
Posts: 2475
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:24 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:04 pm
I'm not an IPhone guy, but, why doesn't this come w/ a headphone jack?

seems many use phones for music (I don't personally) so was curious??
Because Apple tends to drop old technology before anyone else. And the 3.5 mm headphone jack is old technology (70s? 60s?). The trend is to move towards wireless so Apple expects you to use Bluetooth headphones, or use their lightning connector (which they provide the adapter with the phone).

Apple also dropped the 3.5" floppy before anyone else and they also dropped the CD rom drive before anyone else.

nura
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by nura » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:22 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm
I expect my Model 3 in Mar18 will cost me about $30k after rebate.
A Corolla is $15k before rebates, if you invest the difference in a 60-40 market portfolio, the returns would cover the fuel costs for next decade for a car that will run long after end of life of Model 3 batteries, not to mention Corolla has superior range over Model 3.
My 5 year-old iPhone 5 runs as new except for short battery life.
Be it smart phone or eletric car, battery lifespan is about half of internal combustion engine and transmission.

neilpilot
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by neilpilot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm

nura wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:22 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm
I expect my Model 3 in Mar18 will cost me about $30k after rebate.
A Corolla is $15k before rebates, if you invest the difference in a 60-40 market portfolio, the returns would cover the fuel costs for next decade for a car that will run long after end of life of Model 3 batteries.
My 5 year-old iPhone 5 runs as new except for short battery life.
I have sufficient funds to cover the difference. I can afford a few iPhone X, or the difference between a Corolla and the Model 3. I expect I will be happier driving the Model 3 than the Corrola. My airplane isn't prudent from a cost perspective, but there are so many tangible and intangible advantages that I don't think I'll stop flying just to save the $10k/year it costs me to operate.

I would not want to put up with any phone if I had to live with a short battery life. If my Samsung Galaxy Express ever starts to suffer from a shortened battery life, I'll just pop in a new battery.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by F150HD » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:24 pm
Apple... also dropped the CD rom drive before anyone else.
...which has on multiple occasions disallowed me to install software on my laptop at work. Royal PITA.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7597
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm
I have sufficient funds to cover the difference. I can afford a few iPhone X, or the difference between a Corolla and the Model 3. I expect I will be happier driving the Model 3 than the Corrola. My airplane isn't prudent from a cost perspective, but there are so many tangible and intangible advantages that I don't think I'll stop flying just to save the $10k/year it costs me to operate.
:D
It's good to know the price of things, but even better to know their value.

sksbog
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by sksbog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Excellent time to buy iPhone 6 or 6+ :D

User avatar
stratton
Posts: 11082
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by stratton » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:28 pm

stratton wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:58 pm
wander wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 pm
stratton wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:31 am
wander wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:50 pm
I am not sure if new Iphones support new T-Mobile 600 MHz frequency. T-Mobile users may need to wait for another phone.
No it won't.
I thought so too. Thanks for confirming that. For that, I wouldn't think of any reason to buy this phone if I was a T-Mobile user.
I have no idea if it is just a bios upgrade for the new band to be added or it requires an all new LTE modem which probably means wait until next year for a new phone.
Confirmed it's a hardware update.
Because the capability to support 600MHz is hardware based, the new iPhones will not be able to get support later on through a software upgrade.
Currently T-Mobile is adding the 600Mhz spectrum to areas where they have the least coverage. It would be nice in their current coverage areas for better building coverage. It probably wouldn't have helped me five years ago in the convention area under the Chicago Hyatt Regency 40 feet below street level.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

Cash
Posts: 1322
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Cash » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:45 pm

stratton wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:28 pm
Confirmed it's a hardware update.
Thanks for the link. I currently have AT&T but am thinking about switching to T-Mobile. According to this video that was linked in the article, it looks like they aren't rolling out 600 mhz to my area until 2020 anyway. By then, I will have upgraded my iPhone X to the iPhone...X3?

BW1985
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by BW1985 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:49 pm

sksbog wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:36 pm
Excellent time to buy iPhone 6 or 6+ :D
Apple doesn't sell them anymore though, not even refurbs. 6s yes
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:31 pm

I think we are very close to a time that is analogous to when people stopped buying new PCs every 2-3 years because PCs were getting so much faster and more powerful on a yearly basis. Basically the same situation has existed for cell phones over the last 12-15 years - phones were improving in speed, features and capabilities so fast that many folks felt justified in getting new phones every year or every other year at most. We have now reach the point where yearly cell phone improvements are incremental at best. More people likely feel that there are way better places to spend their money than on a yearly new cell phone. There is still plenty of room for growth for this technology especially in emerging economies. But my guess is that Apple's ability to churn the user base for huge revenue every year with latest phone is pretty much over.

knick17
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:39 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by knick17 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Can I ask why ppl are so obsessed wth IPhone?"! I don't get it! It is a nice phone, with good specs etc etc...but to be hyped by the presentation of it and lining up on the stores even if it's $1000....don't get it!

feh
Posts: 1249
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:39 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by feh » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 pm

I paid $85 for my Moto G 3 years ago, and it does everything I need it to.

No way I'm paying $$$ for an Apple product.

anoop
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by anoop » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 pm

knick17 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 pm
Can I ask why ppl are so obsessed wth IPhone?"! I don't get it! It is a nice phone, with good specs etc etc...but to be hyped by the presentation of it and lining up on the stores even if it's $1000....don't get it!
I don't care for the iPhone X, but I prefer iOS over Android any day (I have an iPhone SE which is a dated design with updated internals). iOS is also more secure IMO and the app store is better managed. Also integrates better with macOS.

So I go with iPhone for iOS. If iOS were available on non-iPhones I might have considered them.

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1387
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:47 pm

What iphone X can do what my iphone 5SE can't?

KarenC
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:25 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by KarenC » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:03 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:47 pm
What iphone X can do what my iphone 5SE can't?
https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1658
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:24 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:47 pm
What iphone X can do what my iphone 5SE can't?
Image

knick17
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:39 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by knick17 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:34 pm

anoop wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:44 pm
knick17 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 pm
Can I ask why ppl are so obsessed wth IPhone?"! I don't get it! It is a nice phone, with good specs etc etc...but to be hyped by the presentation of it and lining up on the stores even if it's $1000....don't get it!
I don't care for the iPhone X, but I prefer iOS over Android any day (I have an iPhone SE which is a dated design with updated internals). iOS is also more secure IMO and the app store is better managed. Also integrates better with macOS.

So I go with iPhone for iOS. If iOS were available on non-iPhones I might have considered them.
I understand the concern with the OS. I used to have a MacBook and I agree with the better performing of the OS and the machine in general.
The point for me is that the brand is becoming more expensive than the performance and the results. And Apple to me is loosing the professional touch they used to have.

anoop
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by anoop » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:00 pm

knick17 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:34 pm
I understand the concern with the OS. I used to have a MacBook and I agree with the better performing of the OS and the machine in general.
The point for me is that the brand is becoming more expensive than the performance and the results. And Apple to me is loosing the professional touch they used to have.
I think they are still better than the competition. For me, it's worth the premium, but I can see it may not be for everybody. If I was struggling with my finances, for example, I would be priced out and would live with the cheaper alternative. Right now, I view it as a luxury expense which brings me a lot of joy. I know many people who made the switch to Android/Windows and came right back.

Momus
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Iphone X is $1000

Post by Momus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Sorry iRipoff X is a mediocore device, not worth purchasing.

I will go Galaxy Note 8 all the way if I am ready to drop serious money.
- Higher resolution 520 ppi vs 458 ppi
- Brighter display to fight against direct sunlight 1200 nits vs. 620 nits iRipoff
- Samsung Pay (any pay terminal - not NFC bound), will work anytime, and unlocked NFC vs. NFC limited to only Apple pay
- Finger print scanner + Iris scanner vs. none (let's have your boyfriend open your phone using your face when you are asleep lol)
- Software Home button vs no home button
- Quick Charge 2.0 vs. no fast charging capabilities
- More immersive screen without that stupid cut off black bar on the top. Why why why?!?!
- More storage up to 2TB vs. 250 GB max
- Better waterproofing IP68 (5 feet submersion) vs IP67 (3.3 feet submersion)
- No camera bump vs camera bump will wobble on flat surface
- Cheaper

Sorry Apple, I won't give a dime to your company as usual :-D Technologically challenged device at a premium price to ripoff your most gullible customers don't work to me. It's a mediocore phone sold at a luxury price to naive buyers.

Post Reply