How long did it take for Equifax to email you a security sign up?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
cdu7

How long did it take for Equifax to email you a security sign up?

Post by cdu7 »

I signed up fro Equifax's security protection service, after filling out the form it said I would be emailed within a few days. 3 Days later, still no email. Has anyone else who signed up for this gotten their email yet? How long did it take?

Thanks!
FelixTheCat

Re: How long did it take for Equifax to email you a security sign up?

Post by FelixTheCat »

I signed up for Equifax TrustedID on a Thursday. The site said come back on Monday. Apparently, I was one of the hacked.

I immediately checked my credit reports. Saw a bunch of articles and videos of people talking about it took three years to go through identity theft hell. Their stories convinced me to freeze my credit. It cost me $20 for all five agencies.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I'm still waiting on this email as well.
Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 »

I'm seriously considering freezing my credit as well, and it is definitely good advice, thank you. I have actually already gone through the whole "wait until this date to come back" part of the process. When my date arrived, I went back to the website and clicked through again. It then had me fill out a form with personal info, then said "you will be emailed within 1-3 days with a login / signup for your protection service." In any case I was just wondering if anyone else who went through that process actually got an email, and if so, how long it took to get one.
Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike »

I never got one from my first attempt. I went back in today and was able to sign up.
All the other three agencies where handled within about 3-5 minutes max. What a mess.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I froze my report on Equifax on Monday and no email yet. I did get a PIN right away as a PDF file.
Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 »

Iliketoridemybike wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:03 pm I never got one from my first attempt. I went back in today and was able to sign up.
All the other three agencies where handled within about 3-5 minutes max. What a mess.
Wait do you mean you went back and did the process again, then instantly got an email?
Iliketoridemybike

cdu7 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:11 pm
Iliketoridemybike wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:03 pm I never got one from my first attempt. I went back in today and was able to sign up.
Wait do you mean you went back and did the process again, then instantly got an email?
It never sent an email. I got a confirmation in real time.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Iliketoridemybike wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:26 pm
This is great, but do you also have login/password to check your credit report, etc?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

flamesabers wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am I'm still waiting on this email as well.
I'm waiting, as well. I enrolled Monday, 09/11/2017.
Gordon
Iliketoridemybike

serbeer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:36 pm
This is great, but do you also have login/password to check your credit report, etc?
Not with them, but I checked it on the others. Should probably do that here shortly.
Iliketoridemybike

Iliketoridemybike wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:51 pm
serbeer wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:36 pm
Not with them, but I checked it on the others. Should probably do that here shortly.
Ha Ha just tried to look at my report and got the dreaded "can't help you now, too busy" message.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

cdu7 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:45 am I signed up fro Equifax's security protection service, after filling out the form it said I would be emailed within a few days. 3 Days later, still no email. Has anyone else who signed up for this gotten their email yet? How long did it take?

Thanks!
It's been 2 or 3 days, got a message to expect an email "in a few days." Up till now, no email or any other contact
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Equifax says 143 million people were affected. The credit reporting agencies are being swamped.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

no email, but what they are offering is not really a big help. I believe you are notified when new accounts are opened in your name. I would hope to be notified off any inquiries...can someone clarify?
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

theplayer11 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:31 pm no email, but what they are offering is not really a big help. I believe you are notified when new accounts are opened in your name. I would hope to be notified off any inquiries...can someone clarify?
With the free monitoring offered by TransUnion and Experian I get notified of inquiries.
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

Tried to sign up yesterday.. Still waiting on the email.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

My "date" was last Tuesday and I filled out the form. Still no response re pin number, etc from Equifax. I have had a credit freeze for years and am not too concerned. On BH I read about Innovis and put a credit freeze on that also.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

I signed up for the Equifax service. The email to finalize enrollment arrived later the same day, perhaps 10 to 12 hours later.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Wife, "affected", sign-up started morning of 13th, still waiting on email to complete.
Me, "probably not affected", sign-up started morning of 14th, still waiting on email to complete.

Update on 17th - still no response. Initiated another sign-up for wife on the 16th, no response to that either. Have a feeling this may take a while.
Final update on Sep 22nd. Emails for both of us just arrived late this afternoon.
Last edited by DetroitRick on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amd2135

Post by amd2135 »

I have the email but the "Continue" button on the page they linked to doesn't work on three different browsers. It simply does nothing at all.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I got the email for the security set-up this morning. The monitoring seems pretty bare-bones in terms of features. You can lock/unlock your credit report just as you can on the TransUnion website.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Signed up on the 14th, didn't get an answer yet. I put on hold the freezes due to this (and the likely craziness on corresponding Web sites), but I am getting a tad itchy... :shock:
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

My "date" was last Tuesday and I filled out the form. Still no response re pin number, etc from Equifax.

I wrote that last Friday. Yesterday I received the email and joined trustedid.com. However, I then received an error message advising me to call customer support. The line was busy. Twice. I called another number an was on the phone with a non-English speaker for more than a half hour. He asked me many questions. The conversation ended when he said I had to unfreeze my credit for me to proceed.

Has anyone else been in this predicament?
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

received 2 emails last night for wife and I. I used same email address for both of us and Equifax wouldn't set up trustedID for my wife....stating account already established. They need to get it together.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

vbdoug wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:40 pm My "date" was last Tuesday and I filled out the form. Still no response re pin number, etc from Equifax.

I wrote that last Friday. Yesterday I received the email and joined trustedid.com. However, I then received an error message advising me to call customer support. The line was busy. Twice. I called another number an was on the phone with a non-English speaker for more than a half hour. He asked me many questions. The conversation ended when he said I had to unfreeze my credit for me to proceed.

I believe the error is in regards to being able to lock your account online, which you can't because you already have a freeze.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I was able to sign up 9/12 and received the email today. Now it will apparently be several more days before the service starts working. At least it didn't ask me for a credit card number so far - not that they don't already have them all.
CULater

Post by CULater »

I signed up on 9/13. It is now 9/17. No email yet. Am I surprised -- NO. Remember we are dealing with idiots.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
siamond

Post by siamond »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:10 pm I was able to sign up 9/12 and received the email today. Now it will apparently be several more days before the service starts working. At least it didn't ask me for a credit card number so far - not that they don't already have them all.
At this stage (you got the e-mail, activated the monitoring service), can you safely freeze whatever credit report you want, or did they instruct you to wait until the monitoring service actually starts working?
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

vbdoug wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:40 pm My "date" was last Tuesday and I filled out the form. Still no response re pin number, etc from Equifax.

Yes. Exactly.
My credit has been frozen for years at all four (including Innovis). According to Equifax I am affected. Signed up for TrustedID on Tuesday the 12th, got the email to "join" this morning. Did so. Immediately got the counter-intuitive "error notice" when I logged in after being told I was successfully enrolled. I found the ability to "log out" in the upper righthand corner interesting so I logged out and logged back in. Same "error notice". But then I noticed that I had other menu picks (Dashboard, My Account) and associated submenus worked so I'm assuming the frozen credit is causing the weird error message. All the info in the My Account menu is correct so I'm not worried.
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

Enrollment date was last Wednesday, 9/13.
Still waiting for email response, hopefully within the next couple of days. . .
siamond

Post by siamond »

I just read on the New York Times that the 200,000 people who ALSO got their credit card stolen at Equifax are the ones who used the Equifax id theft service and filed a dispute to fix something. Er, hm, I am suddenly wondering if I care that much about receiving the missing e-mail and proceeding to sign up. This being said, the Q&A makes clear that they are NOT going to ask for credit card information when signing up for the free service...
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

schachtw wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:51 pm Enrollment date was last Wednesday, 9/13.
Still waiting for email response, hopefully within the next couple of days. . .
I got mine within four days of signing up, but then my enrollment date was Monday, 9/11.
siamond wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:58 pm the Q&A makes clear that they are NOT going to ask for credit card information when signing up for the free service...
I've gotten the email and signed up for the service. No credit card information is required.
Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 »

I'm still waiting, signed up on the 13th, it seems excessively long at this point.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

I applied on Tuesday September 12th and received the email for the sign up for TrustedID credit monitoring on Thursday September 14th. That being said, my wife originally applied on Wednesday September 13th and did not receive an email as of yesterday, so she applied again yesterday afternoon and she just received the sign up for TrustedID invite in her inbox a short time ago. Not sure if that was because of the duplicate entry or if it was merely hung up in "cyberspace" somewhere!? I'm sure with all of the requests, that everyone's response time may vary quite a bit. :|
zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 »

Have applied twice since 9/13, no response yet. Equifax should provide free credit monitoring and free freeze with all three credit agencies for life.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Been waiting since September 11. (09/11 is starting to take on a new meaning.)
Gordon
OAG

Post by OAG »

In answer to OP's question: 3 days from initial sign up to confirmation email. Site initially said I was probably one that had data taken but I am not sure.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

7 days for wife, I am still waiting.

Their site seemed to be having issues earlier.

Now it told her she was already registered. But we just said forgot password, used same email address where we received activation link, and were able to get her set up.
siamond

Post by siamond »

I had basically given up... I registered on 9/13, more than a week ago, and... amazing, the Equifax TrustID e-mail was waiting for me this morning... So I eagerly clicked, it asked for my date of birth and... sigh...
System Unavailable
We are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again soon.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Been waiting a week or so for that email, today just got an email that said something like please be patient, it's coming soon.
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

As a follow up:

Signed up on 9/13, and received the email confirmation yesterday- 8 days later.

Completed enrollment process on the same day.

Attempted to login today, and couldn't access the website at first. It turns out the website is available intermittently and response is very slow.

Equifax can't seem to do anything right in the aftermath of this hacking fiasco.
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

Waiting on the email since 9/14.... Actually glad I haven't gotten it. At this point I've lost all trust in Equifax and won't be completing the signup process. I don't need another avenue for them to lose my data.
Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 »

Update on my end: This Saturday I finally got the email and activated the account. It is now working fully after another 48 hour wait. So hooray I guess??? Now I just have to wait for my wife's email.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Ended up being about 3 days
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Bliss

Post by Bliss »

Signed up on 09/15
Email arrived 09/25
= 10 days

I haven't tried to click on the link yet. Given the problems others have had, I'm waiting until later in the evening.
jrk

Post by jrk »

I got a response in about 10 days. But the link they sent kept timing out. I have been trying since 2 days and no luck so far. It went through one time but failed to verify my identity even though all my answers are correct.

It sucks!
MilleniumBuc

Post by MilleniumBuc »

Went online 9/13 and still waiting.

Got this on 9/23:

We recognize you may not have received your activation email for TrustedID Premier. We apologize for the delay and assure you we are working diligently to send your activation email as quickly as possible.

So it could be 2019.
cas

Post by cas »

I'm interested in continuing to hear whether people are succeeding or failing in getting Equifax to do *anything* for them.

In my case, I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to freeze my credit with them, rather than complete the credit monitoring sign-up, but this seems as good an active thread to vent on as any.

My husband and I successfully froze our credit with the other relevant credit monitoring companies over the weekend (between 5:30am and 6:30am US eastern time.)

I tried to freeze my credit with Equifax yesterday (Monday) around 5:30am east coast time. (I thought early morning east coast would be as low a traffic time as any.) After submission of the initial screen I got a 500 Error - Can not contact server.

Both my husband I and I tried to freeze our credit with Equifax this morning around 5am east coast time. Both of us got a slightly different message than yesterday "We are unable to service your request. Please try again later."

On the surface, the credit freeze web site appears to be a different domain (equifax.com) than the "click on the link in this email to activate your TrustedID Premier account" domain (trustedidpremier.com, according to Krebs on Security) that is being mainly discussed in this thread. I would have thought that would have implied different servers, but ... maybe not.

There is a phone number than can be tried for an Equifax credit freeze, but both the reviews of it I've read emphasize that it reads off the PIN really fast and gives only once chance to hear it again. I have a fear of managing to freeze my credit but not get the PIN properly, so I'm debating whether to try the phone method or to conclude I'm better off giving this company yet more time to try to get a remote semblance of an act together.
wbeaumo24

Post by wbeaumo24 »

My email took 11 days to come. Since then I've had the same experience that a few others have had. When I go verify my identity it claims that I already have the product. I have tried doing the password reset but they have yet to send me an email to reset it. :annoyed