Free credit monitoring for AAA members

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tennisplyr

Free credit monitoring for AAA members

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 am

Just got an email from AAA where it offers free credit monitoring for its members. Anyone use this?

https://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/membershi ... nefit.aspx
Last edited by tennisplyr on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

oldcomputerguy

Re: Free credit monitoring for AAA members

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:14 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 am
Just got an email from AAA where it offers free credit monitoring for its members. Anyone use this?
I'm not a AAA member but I am curious, do they say whose monitoring services will be used?
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:14 am
tennisplyr wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 am
I'm not a AAA member but I am curious, do they say whose monitoring services will be used?
Experian
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

student

Post by student » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:39 am

I use the service. I do not think it provide free credit report. I think you only get it once. You can sign up for free service directly from Experian. For example, https://www.freecreditscore.com/ (I did not sign up from this website. One used to be able to sign up directly with Experian rather than via a subsidiary.)

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 am

I use the free version, every month I get an email saying that there were no issues the previous month. But remember this is AFTER the fact monitoring. Tells you if someone opened an account. Not same as a freeze.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 am

Worthless, IMO. With Credit Karma and Credit Sesame, your monitoring needs are met.

Otherwise, just freeze all agencies and don't think about it again.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:14 am

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 am
Worthless, IMO. With Credit Karma and Credit Sesame, your monitoring needs are met.

I agree with your last sentence. Freeze and be done with it. It's really not that hard to do and to thaw.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 am

runner3081 wrote:

Does Credit Sesame show Experian data such as hard inquiries, accounts, etc, in real time? Or at least updated on a monthly basis or whatever would be fine too.

I love the way CK does this for TransUnion and Equifax. I'd like to find the same service for Experian at no cost.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:22 am

guitarguy wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 am
runner3081 wrote:

Does Credit Sesame show Experian data such as hard inquiries, accounts, etc, in real time? Or at least updated on a monthly basis or whatever would be fine too.
Yes.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:42 am

I just signed my wife up this week. I think the service is of minimal value. They do say that benefits vary by AAA region. For us: free daily monitoring of Experian report (including email alerts of changes). Plus stuff like identity theft insurance, fraud resolution support and "lost wallet assistance". For $8.95/month, you add daily monitoring of all 3, alerts from all 3, more insurance and a few other services.

It's free and at least lets you know if Experian reports new activity. I use a paid service (not this one) for myself that alerts me to account inquiries and new credit issuance from 3 bureaus. Plus free credit reports from all 3 bureaus quarterly (rather than 1 free per bureau per year that we all can get). That's what I want, but I do pay $12.99/month. However, I know it works - I've gotten the notifications every time. I cannot lock my credit at this time, so I have to suck it up for now.

But I will keep this free service for now. Can't hurt. At least I would see any Experian inquiries and subsequent new accounts within a day or two.

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 am
runner3081 wrote:

I love the way CK does this for TransUnion and Equifax. I'd like to find the same service for Experian at no cost.
freecreditscore.com

Experian report and real FICO 8 updated monthly.

Run by Experian. 100% free.

They try to sell you premium service each time you log in, just click no.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:23 pm

I have the AAA service but do not consider it useful.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:36 am

DetroitRick wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:42 am
I just signed my wife up this week. I think the service is of minimal value. They do say that benefits vary by AAA region. For us: free daily monitoring of Experian report (including email alerts of changes). Plus stuff like identity theft insurance, fraud resolution support and "lost wallet assistance". For $8.95/month, you add daily monitoring of all 3, alerts from all 3, more insurance and a few other services.

It's free and at least lets you know if Experian reports new activity. I use a paid service (not this one) for myself that alerts me to account inquiries and new credit issuance from 3 bureaus. Plus free credit reports from all 3 bureaus quarterly (rather than 1 free per bureau per year that we all can get). That's what I want, but I do pay $12.99/month. However, I know it works - I've gotten the notifications every time. I cannot lock my credit at this time, so I have to suck it up for now.

But I will keep this free service for now. Can't hurt. At least I would see any Experian inquiries and subsequent new accounts within a day or two.
Would you mind telling us which service you use for $12.99?

CABob

Post by CABob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I signed up for the free ProtectMyID service through AAA several months ago. I periodically get an email from them to check my account which is really an opportunity for them to hustle their paid service. It is perhaps worth what I paid for it but no more.
http://www.protectmyid.com/
Bob

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:01 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:36 am

Would you mind telling us which service you use for $12.99?
It's ITAC Sentinel, the Plus version. I started using it after my bank gave me a one-year subscription following a security breach.

Here's a couple of articles that refer to it:
From Kiplingers back in 2013:
http://www.kiplinger.com/article/spendi ... -look.html

From Harland Clarke:
http://harlandclarke.com/web/id-protect ... me=general

I don't like the cost, but I do appreciate their timely notifications of credit activity. I was actually considering dropping the service, but given the current situation, will continue.

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:01 pm

I used aaa.com free credit monitoring while wife was using creditkarma.com.

In my opinion, both are exactly the same. I got email from both when a credit card was open. I got an email from both when a mortgage company checked on my credit.

learning_head

Post by learning_head » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:29 am

SquawkIdent wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:14 am
runner3081 wrote:
... just freeze all agencies and don't think about it again.
I agree with your last sentence. Freeze and be done with it. It's really not that hard to do and to thaw.
I think this is not totally correct necessarily. Even with credit freezes, financial institutions with which you have current accounts, be it bank accounts or credit card accounts, may access your credit reports. So if a thief wants to open new accounts or cards at any such bank, credit freeze may or may not help. So, next best thing might be to also have monitoring to at least get alerts about such activity. There is some info that perhaps they can do soft pulls but not hard pulls required for acct opening... not sure... please see this thread for some more info.