Do you pay for yardwork?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jharkin

Re: Do you pay for yardwork?

Post by jharkin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Oh dont get me wrong.... I have a lot of fun gas powered toys - they just are not yard tools :sharebeer

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:14 pm

Southern CPA wrote :
I pay myself for yardwork...45 minutes of work for a couple cold beers after a job well done.
I do that too, you have to rest in between to have a cold one.

Yardwork outside is similar to cleaning the house inside. We do not pay for any of those, and they are all no rocket science.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:23 pm

jharkin wrote:Oh dont get me wrong.... I have a lot of fun gas powered toys - they just are not yard tools :sharebeer

Ahhh....those are the really fun ones! I used to have some of those but alas, no more :(
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:55 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
jharkin wrote:Oh dont get me wrong.... I have a lot of fun gas powered toys - they just are not yard tools :sharebeer

Ahhh....those are the really fun ones! I used to have some of those but alas, no more :(

What Im referring to is probably not what you are thinking. Not cars or boats... but Ill let it go at that, Im new here and I dont know how tolerant the moderators are of posters going way off topic.
Last edited by jharkin on Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm a DIY guy when it comes to yard work, investing, and making Mrs. mickeyd smile on a regular basis.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

HoopDiddyDiddy

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:47 am

WaffleCone wrote:
Fletch wrote:1/2 acre. I mow and trim myself. Costs are in addition to the purchase price of the equipment which can vary widely depending on personal value for low price, equipment quality, dependability, etc. Equipment life estimates based on my experience over the past 25 years at the current location.
1. John Deere lawn tractor - averages about $300/yr for maintenance and $100/yr for gas. Estimated equipment life 20 years.

$300 a year for maintenance?? That's more than I spend on my car! Are parts falling off as you mow? What maintenance are you doing that costs so much? It's only about $120 for the dealer to come and service it-- clean, sharpen, oil change, grease, plugs, etc.

My John Deere dealer does not offer home visits, and since we are without a trailer at the moment we have to pay them to pick up/deliver the mower for it's yearly service. This year it was a total of $270, so plus a supplemental oil filter change we do mid-season, ±$300 a year sounds about right.

westie

Post by westie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:17 am

I started cutting my parents 5 acres at 10. Been cutting grass, weeding, fertilizing, edging, blowing for 50 years. I had a tool for everything. Enough was enough, could still do it, just don't enjoy it anymore. Moved to a community that does it all now, I just write the HOA check. It looks great.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:20 am

Trev H wrote:jjface..

In response to your suggestion that I need to pay my son more.

I mowed a large yard for my dad, with a push mower, and got paid beans and taters.

My son rides a nice tractor mower, hardly even breaks a sweat, and gets paid 12.00-14.00 per hour + beans and taters... and someone thinks I am paying him too little.

How times have changed !

Trev H

I used to make a buck fifty for mowing the lawn :-)

BV3273

Post by BV3273 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:52 am

I pay for the convenience of having someone cut my lawn, do my edging, and cleaning up my leaves. I pay $80 a month and he comes bi-weekly. As far as mulching, fertilizing, pruning, planting, etc...I do that myself. I find it quite relaxing. I just like to be outdoors.

P.S. I used to cut my own lawn until I had one of the worst allergy attacks of my life and almost went to the emergency room.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:21 pm

This isn't rocket science. Just watch them work or work with them. That' what I do for various types of work.
$12/hr for decent hard worker that is young and only knows basic stuff such as just landscaping
$20/hr for hard worker who I trust and has different skills, such as fixing plumbing and helping me with electrical or insulating the attic, blah blah blah.
$25/hr for hard worker who I trust, has integrity, knows many skills

Pay by the job for specialties.

I generally provide lunch and travel time if it's all day jobs.
Pay people well when their doing well, don't be a cheapskate. If it's just basic mowing, $12-$15/hr I would pay.

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:45 pm

We have about 0.35 acres, since our Summer temperatures can get well above 100 degrees we pay $37.50 per week to have the grass cut and trimmed. We verified the company has a business license and workman's comp coverage.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:42 pm

ddunca1944 wrote:We are getting to the point where we can no longer stay on top of the yardwork. It isn't the lawn (that is very small and easily mowed with an electric mower). A large side yard on a steep hill needs to be weeded, mulched and shrubs pruned. I'm considering hiring someone but have no idea how much is reasonable to pay.

I realize costs vary geographically, but would like an idea.

If you pay for yardwork, would you share how much you spend and for whst?

We pay college students a very reasonable rate to weed our flower beds, about $50 each time (2 times total all summer) Before the weeds appear we put down a granular weed killer and it works wonders, saves time and money on weeding.

We don't do annuals for now ( because of our budget), consider them discretionary . The exception is one large planter filled with mandevillas on a deck.

We do have some well established perennials and something is blooming all summer. We mulch only every 3rd year.

We have an extra large yard and pay $45 each time ($90 a month ) to have the lawn mowed every other week and that includes raking leaves in the fall - although the neighbor's are pushing for a "don't rake leaves" policy as it supposedly is better for the grass...not sure I believe that,haven't researched it.

It is a bit more than we used to pay for lawn mowing but our lawn guy does a suoerior job.

Our guy believes in leaving the grass a bit higher than normal but it still looks nice. I'm convinced it saved our lawn -and our lawn care expenses- during a long dry spell when there were water restrictions.

We mowed the lawn iourselves until we had health issues (not major but affected our ability to handle a mower) We don't have garage or other space for a riding mower. . .and not sure I'd want one anyway because we are planning to downsize in the next few years.

We don't have a professional lawn care service,the kind that kills crabgrass.etc

chabil

Post by chabil » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48 am

Bumping this up.

We pay for yard work. My husband does the weed and feed because this year our yard service dropped that part and only cut, trim, and blow. I trim bushes, branches that I can reach (5/2, my husband not much taller) and he cleans up. He is also lax now about edging and trimming around pavers etc. The lawn is cut every other week and he keeps it long.

If you pay for yard/lawn service what kinds of work do you specify?
How do you dispose of the clippings? We have woods surrounding our lawn space and he dumps them there.
What about leaves? Do you pay to get them hauled off or do you have them dumped into the woods as we do?
Cutting top branches, removing fallen trees and big branches - do you hire a different service or does your regular service does that?
Thanks

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 am

We pay $120/month. When daughters were living at home they often did the yard for spending money. Alas, they are long gone. The young man that mows does a good job, trims, edges, blows off debris from everything including deck. He started at $100/month, but I gave him an unasked for raise a couple of years ago. He now has two children, so he needs a little more. We sometimes use him to clean gutters, other small jobs. There is probably no doubt we could get the job done cheaper, but money isn't everything. He does four of the seventeen homes in the neighborhood.

We also pay for lawn and shrub service for $50/month. They (Massey) re-sodded my lawn because something was killing it, and they didn't heed my warnings. I think they will do a better job going forward.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 am

I personally do not enjoy yard work. Our lot is relatively small (10,000 square foot lot). We live in a somewhat HCOL so it costs us $50/month for the gardeners to come twice a month. I find the trade off for my time and hassle well worth the money. I have friends who enjoy doing their yard work - I wish I fell into that category as I could save some $! :D

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am

Sometimes my back hurts.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:27 am

I live in Florida and the tough St Augustine grass requires a high quality edger and weed eater. I have had a hard time keeping one up and running, trying both high end and low end models. I live on a small lot and the guy charges $50 for a once a week mow. I don't feel like I can maintain the required lawn equipment for $300/year. Given that I get time back in my life and space back in the garage this is a very good investment.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:39 am

I often travel and the City does not like it if one's lawn isn't cut - they will have it done and charge you a large fine so I outsource the cutting and treatments - think I pay about $30 per cutting on a small lot. In recent retirement, I've designed my lot for the lawn cutters! I had small space between the garage and fence on two sides at the back of my lot. The grass did not grow well there and they lawn guys weed wackers destroyed the bottom two sections of vinyl siding. I had them replaced and now I'm planning to put down rubber mulch. They also take off the long downspout extensions - so I've extended my garden and removed the lawn so that they cannot take them off or destroy them. They also spattered the other side of the vinyl siding of the garage where the grass was growing well. So I put down some soil and planted hostas there. The side door of the garage also got spatter so I put down some cement blocks there.

I feel sorry for these lawn guys who probably have a set number of lawns they have to cut per hour. The kid comes riding along on his motorized weed machine and then two guys come along to cut the edges and blow off the residue. So this is my solution.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:50 am

chabil wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:48 am
If you pay for yard/lawn service what kinds of work do you specify?
How do you dispose of the clippings? We have woods surrounding our lawn space and he dumps them there.
What about leaves? Do you pay to get them hauled off or do you have them dumped into the woods as we do?
Cutting top branches, removing fallen trees and big branches - do you hire a different service or does your regular service does that?
Our lot is about a third of an acre, but the lawn is a fraction of that. We do not use a lawn service. One of us will mow and trim from about February to November.

1. Clippings: Not collected March-mid-September. After mid-September while grass is still growing, but it is slightly cooler, grass is cut shorter each week and clippings collected. This gets the brown, dead grass from the summer burn-off off the lawn and new green grass predominates so the lawn looks spectacularly green. The stressed grass from the summer is gone and the new leaves are less susceptible to disease and fungus of the mild winters. Any leaves get picked up by mower, too. Clippings go in the "beds" found through the landscaping. Clippings get raked over with the pine needles from the trees. Nothing is hauled off and no trips to the woods.

2. Every 5 years or so, I negotiate with tree service going through the neighborhood if I need any dead tree branches lopped off. Cash. I pay about $20 for every tree climbed. Otherwise, fallen branches go in a container and are picked up as part of weekly garbage/recycling/lawn waste disposal service. If we put lawn clippings in a container (we don't), the normal community waste disposal service takes them.

True story: Normally, I mow or my son or my daughter does, but if my spouse is the only one home that week, then she will mow. This is the way we've always done it. I came home last week and found her mowing the yard, but she was struggling pushing the lawn mower around which surprised me because I can mow one-handed. It turns out that in all these years she did not realize that we have a self-propelled lawn mower, so she had never operated the self-propelled lever.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:50 am

We do our own yard work. We fill up a bin with yard trimmings, leaves, or small branches. A city service collects the yard trimmings from the bin every week.

In a couple of weeks, we will probably need to get some help to grind/remove a tree stump.
Pranav

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 am

I have been paying to have my yard work done for the past 28 years. When I first bought my home, I did it myself, but I quickly discovered that my demanding career in the city took up most of my time and the small windows of time I actually had to do my yard work, plus the uncertainties of weather were not sufficient to get it done. Plus, I hated it. Now, I pay $135 a month for 9 months to maintain my 1/4 acre lot. This includes all cutting, trimming, leaf and debris cleanup, and all chemical and insecticide treatments. Well worth the money in my opinion. In fact, it's the only monthly check I actually enjoy writing. :happy

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:12 am

I do all of my own yard work. I have a small property but it is a corner lot with slopes all around it (3’-6’ in height). I recently dug out two large dwarf hinoki cypress shrubs (although they are technically trees) that I planted about 3 decades ago and replaced them with two uprightish Green Mountain boxwoods. I had to prune off the bottom branches off the hinoki’s several years ago because they were growing into my wrought iron railing located at my steps. I have 6 Japanese red maple trees that I planted from seedlings about 3 decades ago. I originally had 8 of them but lost two of them several years ago. I do pruning on them every year. I do my own snow removal. I purchased an Ariens snow thrower from Home Depot about 10 years or so ago for half price. It was one of those mild winter years where they got caught with a large inventory. Prior to that purchase I just used a shovel. I’m 72 years old but have no reason (knock on wood) to farm out the work to someone else. I enjoy doing it myself too much.

P.S. I enjoy planting flowers (begonias and snapdragons) around my property too.